The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
With regard to the unfortunate telephone call, I believe that the hospital operator and nurse were very poorly briefed about who might be likely to call and when. Their supervisor or manager or someone in administrative management there should have been briefed about whether or not members of the royal family would be likely to phone and when. Clearly no-one said anything to anyone about the fact that neither the Queen nor Prince Charles would ever be likely to telephone. As such, clearly the operator and the nurse thought they were actually speaking to the Queen (as unlikely as it now seems to be). So what do you do when confronted with the Queen on the telephone? ...."oh, sorry love, can't give out information like that.....no, dear, you may be the Queen but you're not next of kin...." I doubt very much many of us would have said that.

Having now heard the entire hoax call, I am very angry that not only did these so- called presenters put two people in a very difficult sitaution with the potential of losing their jobs (just for the fun of it - hey, lets just muck someone's life up and get them into trouble), they have treated the Queen and the Prince of Wales in a very ungracious, mocking, and quite frankly childish way.
I agree. Hospital administrators need to do more training with their staff.

Since it is the Queen we are talking about, one could presume she can do anything she likes; employees should have been told how to handle it if she did call and also the extreme unlikelihood of any such call being made directly by the Queen.

But unless someone actually knows the Queen's minds and all its intricacies, I seriously doubt that anyone wants to go over to Buckingham to make absolutely certain the Queen would never, ever place such a call. How would anyone know that with certainty?

The employees need a little more training (and the nurse did very well at providing only bare minimum information and from what I heard, ceased talking when it became clearly it was a prank). People who are saying that the dogs were barking before the nurse gave her information to "the Queen" haven't heard the call. From the moment that the Queen starts interacting with "the Prince" who is then named as "Prince Charles," that nurse is virtually silent and clearly having to rethink what's going on. I feel for the nurse, as it's enough to have to take care of any patients and be responsible for their very lives, much less someone who is well-known.

If the hospital administrators are not the ones taking the blame for this, then they are odious people. The blame should be small though, as circuses abound and no harm was done.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Actually, I would doubt strongly that Michelle would be in a hospital in one of the States or Districts whose labor laws permit firing someone merely because a celebrity/security risk is involved. ALL patient information is inviolate - BUT, certain people (family members) are allowed to inquire over the phone. If someone fraudulent misrepresents themselves to hospital staff, labor laws in most states afford the employee quite a bit of protection (even at a private hospital; most nurses are, btw, unionized for just this kind of protection).

So I doubt that the person would be fired. I work at institution with federally enforced privacy laws (FERPA) and while employees are sometimes given 3 or 7 or 10 days without pay at their first violation, they are never, ever fired (that's a whole other can of worms). Labor law is pretty clear that if employees have not materially harmed someone (and this nurse did not), that the first incidence of breaking a rule should result in disciplinary action, not outright firing. Most nurses here in the U.S. would have that in their employment contract even if they weren't unionized.

Kate herself was not hurt, harassed, spoken to by the caller or anything else. The information released merely confirmed that she was in the hospital (which was already known) and the only "extra" information that was in violation of what would be U.S. federal laws on these matters was that she was sleeping comfortably.

No, the person would not be fired if it were Michelle Obama, Ronald Reagan (when he was alive), Lindsay Lohan, Mrs. Romney or any other person you could think of with "status" of any kind in the U.S.

But it's interesting that someone would think that would be so automatic...anywhere. Where I live, good nurses are in such short supply that certainly a less dramatic and punitive consequence would be applied in a case like this one. Indeed, employers (like the University of Virginia) have been forced to rehire employees when capricious firings took place...
I work at a major medical institution and it is noted in our confidentiality agreements that if we violate the agreement - regardless of why - it is grounds for firing. We are not even allowed to look at our own family member's medical records without consent as, again, that is grounds for being fired. So yes, Michelle would be in a hospital pretty much anywhere in the US in which an employee could be fired for leaking it out that she is there or if anyone not linked to her care viewed her medical records. Confidentiality is a HUGE deal.

We had a national political figure stay in our hospital. His office was forced to send a press release out that he was here as someone from housekeeping had leaked it to the press that this person was here. The employee was fired.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I work at a major medical institution and it is noted in our confidentiality agreements that if we violate the agreement - regardless of why - it is grounds for firing. We are not even allowed to look at our own family member's medical records without consent as, again, that is grounds for being fired. So yes, Michelle would be in a hospital pretty much anywhere in the US in which an employee could be fired for leaking it out that she is there or if anyone not linked to her care viewed her medical records. Confidentiality is a HUGE deal.

We had a national political figure stay in our hospital. His office was forced to send a press release out that he was here as someone from housekeeping had leaked it to the press that this person was here. The employee was fired.
That would be true of medical information were divulged. Saying "she's sleeping" is not exactly medical information. I know where I live such a firing would be appealed in court by many nurses - and, as I said, I know of forced rehirings in just such a case.

THe employee did not leak that Kate was there (so the parallel situation would be that Michelle Obama has announced she's in hospital; at that point the information is public and no longer confidential).

It's only the "she's sleeping" part that could possibly be grounds for firing. If you truly believe at your hospital that someone would be fired for that, then where I work and teach, the hospital would be in frequent violation as many nurses prevent people (anyone) from entering a room as a visitor if the patient (whose name is on the door) is sleeping.

Where I live, nurses limit the number of visitors, but they do not ask for identification, btw. But they do divulge (to anyone who might try to enter the room) if the patient is sleeping or they may also say "is receiving a treatment or procedure right now, can't go in."

Lots of folks would be fired under rules as stringent as the ones you're mentioning.

But my main point is that where I live no, I do not believe it would matter whether it was Michelle Obama or me, the staff would behave roughly the same way. In short, we would both be protected, but the nurses do use common sense, say "Shh" when necessary or even "Patient you want to see has gone to x-ray, please don't disturb other patient, who is sleeping" when it's a double room.

Never held to be a violation of "patient confidentiality" as to "medical treatment" before - but there could be a first time. I'd like to think the Board of our hospital would not be so silly as to fire a nurse for mentioning that patient is sleeping...
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
People who are saying that the dogs were barking before the nurse gave her information to "the Queen" haven't heard the call. From the moment that the Queen starts interacting with "the Prince" who is then named as "Prince Charles," that nurse is virtually silent and clearly having to rethink what's going on.
The nurse isn't silent. She continues to give out information after the "Queen" starts interacting with "PC". Then once PC gets on the phone, the nurse talks about William, how Kate has been feeling and relays Kate's sleeping patterns.

I was wrong about saying the nurse should have known it was a prank once the Queen asked PC to walk the dogs, because that didn't happen until the end of the call - right before they hung up. But I still find it weird that the nurse didn't even think twice about it. She just went straight into giving out information.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have just heard the phone call and I cannot Belive that was true...it is impossiible that such a phone call have been made by a nurse...they are not só naive for such a thing...that was a Joke.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I have just heard the phone call and I cannot Belive that was true...it is impossiible that such a phone call have been made by a nurse...they are not só naive for such a thing...that was a Joke.
It's already been confirmed that it really happened
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Cambridge's mother pays hospital visit - ITV News
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor Carole Middleton was accompanied by a uniformed PC as she left the hospital. He kindly walked her to her car as a few snappers took her pic.
Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor Carole Middleton looked happy enough about prospect of being a granny as she left hospital after 9pm after spending evening with Kate.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Majesty

Very nice to see Carole visiting her daughter.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
That would be true of medical information were divulged. Saying "she's sleeping" is not exactly medical information. I know where I live such a firing would be appealed in court by many nurses - and, as I said, I know of forced rehirings in just such a case.
I'm not sure where you live, but in the U.S., according to the HIPAA laws, the hospital staff cannot even tell you if someone is there or not ... or aren't supposed to, anyway. The immediate family, and anyone else authorized by the patient, is given a code that has to be revealed before any information is given over the telephone. I have gone through this experience with a sister who was in a Maryland hospital, and a brother who was in a Louisiana hospital.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
I'm not sure where you live, but in the U.S., according to the HIPAA laws, the hospital staff cannot even tell you if someone is there or not ... or aren't supposed to, anyway. The immediate family, and anyone else authorized by the patient, is given a code that has to be revealed before any information is given over the telephone. I have gone through this experience with a sister who was in a Maryland hospital, and a brother who was in a Louisiana hospital.
But they didn't ask if she was a patient. The nurse said too much but if she had only said "she's having a good night. she's sleeping" I can't see anyone being fired over that. I think the part about her care (the IV fluids and the dehydration) was too much detail and why it would be a HIPAA violation. But the other stuff isn't professional but isn't firing material. People always ask how their family member is doing and "fine" or "asleep" is not a violation.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton Pregnant - Bucklebury Is Thrilled : People.com
Back off, people – the Duchess of Cambridge is not a brood mare - Telegraph
Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Courtier

Isn't she lovely...

Here's a link to a Huffington Post article speculating about Catherine's due date. There are many pictures from the past twelve weeks that we can peruse for 'clues'. But what struck me as I looked at them, was Oh, my! Isn't she lovely?

When Is Kate Middleton Due? A Look At The Duchess' Outfits Over The Past 12 Weeks (PHOTOS)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

I listened to the radio hoax and have to say I was shocked that the nurse continued the call! Anyone with a little wit would realise that it wasn't the Queen and the PoW! It was a ridiculous impression with someone 'barking' in the background pretending to be a corgi.

The DJs should have realised it was going too far and hung up. However I don't think when they started the call they ever imagined they would get anywhere!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Majesty

My last comment on this-

Why would these radio presenters would think its funny to waste the nurses time? Don't they understand these people are working long hours and busy looking after the patients? I think they should be ashamed for violating Catherine's privacy and putting the nurse in that kind of situation.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Majesty

I wonder if Catherine is getting better enough to be released? Perhaps this weekend?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Courtier

The first thing that should have been a giveaway that it wasn't the Queen (other that the horrible accent) was the "Queen" asked for Kate. No way is the Queen calling her Kate to a stranger, she probably doesn't do it in private (she is probably called Catherine). Plus you would think that someone is the UK would be more familar how the real Queen sounds like. I can see if they posed as Pippa since who know what she sounds like.

The transcripts in the papers are edited to removed the more personal info. The Telegraph reported that VIPs had their own private lines in their rooms at the hospital.

The Queen isn't making her own calls, an aide would do that. Just think if the nurse took a cell phone picture of Kate in the hospital and sold it to press.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

interesting point Skippyboo. How many journalists are stalking the staff entrance and trying to make contact with a range of staff, not just nurses

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Nobility

I would guess that the 2nd nurse - the one who gave out the information - was misled in part because the call was put through. She may have even been told by the transferring nurse that it was a call from the queen. This could have happened even without it being on the audio if it occurred before the connection was completed. The 2nd nurse would then be under the impression the caller was already vetted. Depending on hospital policy, even the fact that the call was patched through to that station may have been seen as an indication that the call had "passed" through some procedure. It may be the first one to answer the phone was the one who was negligent.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
You gotta love Edward and Sophie. I imagine they'll be a wonderful support system for William and Catherine, along with the rest of the RF and the Middleton clan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Prayer for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge:
Prayer for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
This is very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

I'm in agreement with the article. Some things need to remain private. The couple deserves that kind of curtesy. After all, we already know a great deal about their lives, so there's no need to go this deep. I hope that their privacy will be respected and the child will have a chance to experience a childhood that is as 'normal' as can be expected when one is third in line to the British throne.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread

Tags
cambridge, catherine, pregnancy, william