The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has never been pregnant, is HG a sign that something is wrong in the pregnancy. I am always apprehensive about a woman being pregnant until she reaches her 4th month; Kate is supposedly at 10wks. So I'm just getting slightly worried that's all.
Also to all he ladies in here who said they had HG, did you know what it was before you had it, or only discovered it when the doctor told you what was happening to you?

I have no personal experience with it, but from everything I've read- HG is a sign of particular elevated hormones, and they mean that the pregnancy is progressing correctly. There's no risk to the fetus from HG- it just makes the mother feel dreadful.

For those of you that had it, is it something that happens with all your pregnancies? Is it more likely to occur with each pregnancy if you have it on your first? If that is the case, we may only see an heir and a spare, and that is it. My wife had complications with both of ours, but they were both totally different, and had nothing to do with morning sickness.

I am really glad some of us on the forums with no first hand knowledge of HG have asked those who have to explain what it is like! I wish I had done it sooner because it is the best way to learn in a place like this!

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

I had HG with all 4 of my children. That was back in the 1950's and I don't think the Doctors even knew the cause. I would start vomiting before I missed my first period and continue until delivery. I would think I was better and then get worse again. When I delivered my first son I was given drop ether for pain relief and even though that is nasty stuff, I still asked for food shortly after delivery. It was the first meal I enjoyed for the entire 9 months. For my 2nd child I had invited family for Thanksgiving and ended in the hospital. My sister-in-law cooked the meal for everyone. The baby was born the middle on Feb. It was a continous battle to try to keep up with normal family needs. Back then my doctors used to tease me about being allergic to my babies. I don"t think they new the cause. All turned out well. I have 4 healthy sons. Those were tough years.

As someone who has never been pregnant, is HG a sign that something is wrong in the pregnancy. I am always apprehensive about a woman being pregnant until she reaches her 4th month; Kate is supposedly at 10wks. So I'm just getting slightly worried that's all.
Also to all he ladies in here who said they had HG, did you know what it was before you had it, or only discovered it when the doctor told you what was happening to you?
No, it's not a sign that anything is wrong. They're still researching the cause, but a rise in hormone levels, genetics or the sex of the child are a few of the things that might contribute to it. When treated early, there are no complications to baby or mother.

This website has a lot of great information about hyperemesis. Help HER - Hyperemesis Education Research

I'm really hoping Kate has a mild form of hyperemesis, as it usually ends by the end of the first trimester.

Last edited:
Xenia C., I never heard of hyperemesis gravidus before I had it (I'm spelling it differently than most here, but that's the way the doctors spelled it when I had it).
I had heard of morning sickness which was tolerable and confined largely to the mornings. I kept expecting it to leave, but it didn't, and I was stick thin when I finally went to the obstetrician, who put me in the hospital with a diagnosis immediately. It did not hurt my baby, apparently, as he was large and healthy and very intelligent. However, I did begin recovery at three months and was pretty well over it by three months and three weeks.
I realize now that the hormone changes triggered my genetic disease Porphyria, but no one then suspected it. The fact that I had porphyria was one reason I responded so dramatically to glucose infusion, and even could eat solid food while on glucose infusion; glucose is a standard treatment for porphyria attacks. If I had been on a daily glucose infusion I might have gotten well much quicker. Since I could keep almost nothing down, including pills, I could not have eaten sufficient sugar to equal the glucose; yet, if I had known, I would have tried to eat more pure sugar, which would have been contrary to my nutritional training at home, and which would have seemed ludicrous. I remember how well I felt on the glucose IV in the hospital, and I regained cheerfulness and hope. The doctor said I looked "green" and he hoped I would have twins and then quit childbearing.

I would start to vomit within hours of going off the glucose iV.

Makes one wonder if Kate will assay a second pregnancy, if her condition goes on too long and wears her down too much.

Last edited:
I am really glad some of us on the forums with no first hand knowledge of HG have asked those who have to explain what it is like! I wish I had done it sooner because it is the best way to learn in a place like this!

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

I very much agree! We've all heard of morning sickness of-course and my own impression of it was that a woman would feel abit off-colour and be sick each morning for a few weeks - little did I know!

I worry that, because many women prefer to keep the pregnacy hushed up until the three month scan, they are suffering morning sickness without being able to seek support or comfort from people. And so I am very pleased that the matter has been discussed and highlighted as a real issue.

Most of my female friends who have had babies - and even my sister - never mentioned morning sickness and only talked of discomfort during the last few weeks of pregnancy when they were suffering from back-ache, feeling like a balloon about to burst and wishing the whole thing was over. I always worry about a child being born in August or September because it means the mother has to endure hot summer days and nights whilst heavily pregnant.

I don't understand why Catherine can't stay in Anglesey during her pregnancy. There are good hospitals as well as in London, she should be able to find a reliable doctor and their rented house is probably better suited to have a live-in nurse than small Nottingham Cottage. Plus she surely has the most interested crew of SAR staff at her disposal in case she needed an airlift to hospital....

If I was her, I would look for a nice nanny with nursing diploma to come with me to Anglesey. Catherine that way gets to know her and, if she likes her, can keep her on after the baby is born. She might now think it's easy to care for a newborn all alone at the times William is away but I vividly recall how glad I was when one of my son's grandmothers decided to take him at least for an hour so I could get a bit of undisturbed sleep. Unfortunately according to the circumstances this did not happen very often.

If the article about her mother's abilities as a mother is to be believed, Carole Middleton was a natural. This does not mean that Catherine will be one as well. Plus she has to get used to live-in staff eventually anyway, so why not start with a professional carer who helps her at first through the pregnancy and later with the kid(s).

She could stay in Anglesey but it looks like the couple prefers to stay close to either side of their family and with royal Doctors who they trust. Makes sense to me.
Plus Kensington is to be their new home soon, this should give them time to get used to it.

I had HG during both my pregnancies and I went to hospital just like Kate during my first pregnancy. It makes us feel awful:sad: I was sick during the day, all night long until I gave birth. Fortunately I ended up giving birth to a healthy baby girl. With my youngest daughter it was terrible too. I had a baby daughter to look after and I just felt miserable, because she needed her mummy and I was always sick... My baby was really tiny when she was born and very different from her sister, but now she is a beautiful, happy and healthy baby girl too :flowers:

Hello, XeniaCasaraghi: I had never heard of it. I thought morning sickness was a temporary experience. I had to have IV treatment and then, medication for 9 months. After the drs were able to get the right medication to stay with me and I found some foods that tasted good, life was easier for me. (I became a regular at the local fruit market.) The meds made me sleepy and I did take a nap every afternoon. I also found that swimming helped. Certain smells were unbearable. In fact, I still have a strong sensitivity to certain smells.
I had HG with both my children. And, I had two healthy children...a boy and a girl.

Mail Online story just a conglomeration of pseudo-knowledge, I fear. The apparent facts that medical science does not know too much about HG is all we can be sure of. And we can't be sure if Kate will emerge from her trial within a month, but I'm betting she will. I was slender and athletic like Kate, and I pulled out at that point, not that my genetics are all similar to hers. Kate will be her old self by mid-January, I predict (I have as much right to predict as Mail Online). She will then have to fight too much weight gain, but she'll be so relieved that she will not fuss too much about it.
But this DG is nature's way to fool us all. No bets.

Although I have no doubt William & Catherine will be hands on parents, I do think will have a nanny. If not full-time then part-time. They will just need the help as they are senior members of the royal family and carry out official engagements.

Yes Dman, with a 22 room apartment they will have room for staff and for visitors staying the night. Probably will have a full time maid and/or cook and a nanny, possibly even a handyman if the maid or cook is married. Or a butler like Carson or Jeeves? Full house! Middletons visiting. Others visiting. Secluded life gone.

Even short car journey can trigger Kate into nausea:
Royal - ITV News

I just hope Catherine continues to get better and this sickness wiill soon settle. I'm just happy that William & Catherine is now starting a family. It's going to be a beautiful thing to watch over the coming months and years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Dman, with a 22 room apartment they will have room for staff and for visitors staying the night. Probably will have a full time maid and/or cook and a nanny, possibly even a handyman if the maid or cook is married. Or a butler like Carson or Jeeves? Full house! Middletons visiting. Others visiting. Secluded life gone.

Well I daresay a secluded life ended the day she married Prince William!!LOL:flowers:
Seriously I am thrilled for them!!

I think they will make smashing grandparents. But it is very sad that Princess Diana is not here to experience it - can you imagine the clothes she would buy this child if it's a girl???LOL

Ya I know it's the first I've ever heard of a woman feeling rage during her pregnancy but I guess everyone is different idk

There seems to be an awful lot in the press these days about the Cambridges not having a nanny or at least not a full time one as if this is a fact. Have they ever actually said in an interview or released a statement saying this themselves or is it just a lot of speculation by the usual "palaces sources" starting all this up?

There seems to be an awful lot in the press these days about the Cambridges not having a nanny or at least not a full time one as if this is a fact. Have they ever actually said in an interview or released a statement saying this themselves or is it just a lot of speculation by the usual "palaces sources" starting all this up?

Maybe Jessica Hay knows and has told the media. ;)

Neither of them have ever said a word about this issue, to my knowledge, (and why on earth would they), but this is the sort of speculation that will quickly settle into "fact" and follow the couple, especially Kate, around until the end of time.

Case in point: Prior to getting married to Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Mary Donaldson gave an interview in which she said she and Frederik didn't plan on their children being "raised by nannies." Not once did she say they wouldn't HAVE nannies, and she also said that she would consider herself a working mother and that she realized she'd be in the fortunate position of having a lot of help, compared to most mothers, which to me if anything indicates that even at that time she knew she and Frederik would be employing help to look after their eventual children. A couple years later, Prince Christian is born, the family hires an extremely well qualified nurse to help care for him and the snotty comments started immediately about how Mary was a hypocrite for doing something she'd said she never would. Those sorts of comments still pop up to this day.

my grandma has a way of telling whether it's a boy or girl but I'll have to wait till Kate starts showing then I'll show her a pic of Kate and see what she says. So far she's never ever been wrong. Should be interesting to see if she once again gets it right.

We also know Catherine has never smoked. She recently mentioned this on an official engagement.

I can remember when the Duke and Duchess were dating seeing pictures of the Duchess, open purse with a pack of ciggarettes in it and the press going nuts that she smoked... I guess they could have been someone elses and she was just holding them. Anyway, if she did smoke lets be thankful that she is not now...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=duchess+of+cambridge+with+cigarettes&um=1&hl=en&safe=active&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=634&tbm=isch&tbnid=X0y-4nBBt_snFM:&imgrefurl=http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php%3Faction%3Dprofile%3Bu%3D1398%3Bsa%3DshowPosts&docid=yNp4Ce2lPgJidM&imgurl=http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_01/kateSMART1805_468x316.jpg&w=468&h=316&ei=GlTGUIeWOa3U0gHM84GIAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=661&sig=112510621851308851679&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=220&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:88&tx=113&ty=70

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom