The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I empathize tremendously with the Duchess. With my younger daughter I didn't find any relief until actually giving birth to her.

I'm sad to hear that poor Kate is still feeling ill, though that seems to be the way things go with HG, especially in the first few weeks. I'm glad that William is able to be with her, and I hope they're able to treat her at home to the extent that it's possible.

Bensgal, I really feel for those who had HG during all the months of their pregnancy.

The stories linked today say that the Duchess does not yet require hospitalization for IV. I hope they have IV's at home for her, which is often done. If they have not, I am absolutely puzzled as to what their thinking about HG is. It will go on until it stops and it will require treatment. I didn't get IV's at home, but was twice in the hospital on IV.
However, I was so sick at home that I could do nothing. No housework. This made my husband irritated because he thought I was malingering. His father also thought so. I had no allies, but I was committed to hanging on to the pregnancy, which I thought was at risk, as I had earlier had a miscarriage. So I refused to do anything that I didn't feel I could accomplish without the stress of going beyond my strength. Probably the pregnancy was NOT at risk, I just feared this--the baby was getting nourishment from what small amount of fat I had left. Then I eventually found at about 3 months that I could eat oranges and eggs and hold them down. Most things I usually ate I could not eat, but I found these two things.

Nevertheless, the illness did finally abate rather quickly, as fast as it appeared. This gave me the strength to take a vacation with my parents who did not criticize my every move. And so forth until the divorce. All because of ignorance.

Last edited:
When I had HG it lasted until delivery. Lets all say a prayer the Catherine's doesn't last that long.

I must say, this has been very educational. I had never heard of HG. My heart goes out to the Duchess and all of you who have suffered from it.

Very interesting. What Ken Wharfe and Princess Margaret's former aide say accords with what I would have expected to be the protocol. Lots of questions arise.

As for Kate's health, I feel extremely sorry for her. One of my sisters-in-law was sick as a dog all day throughout the entirety of both her pregnancies. She couldn't keep anything down a lot of the time. It's a wonder to me that she could go through that a second time.

If I was a royal I would never hire a nanny insted I will ask someone in my family to stay with my soon, I would never trust Him or her to anyone else....never....

If I was a royal I would never hire a nanny insted I will ask someone in my family to stay with my soon, I would never trust Him or her to anyone else....never....

A family member is alright for short periods, but nannies often live with the child in their house and are with them all the time, even when their parents go on holiday. The only example we really have recently is Edward and Sophie's nanny. They have had the same nanny for both their children, but she is with them anytime they have the children out. She lives with them and cares for the children when Edward and Sophie are doing engagements, or if they are abroad. She is even there at Christmas, as she was with them for a Boxing Day football match when Louise was a baby. She was also with them on the photos of the family on holiday in Italy and Portugal.

You cannot expect a family member to be that committed. They have their own life, a nanny's life is the children they care for. It's what they sign up for when they become a royal nanny.

Indeed, I think for practical purposes, a nanny will be necessary. It's no big deal. Royals and non-royals have been using nannies to care for their children since time immemorial.

Indeed, I think for practical purposes, a nanny will be necessary. It's no big deal. Royals and non-royals have been using nannies to care for their children since time immemorial.

Of course it is no big deal. Lots of people who can afford it have nannies to care for their children at home, as well as lots of working men and women drop their children off at day care every morning before heading off to work and then pick them up at the end of the working day.

I was afraid we'd hear about things worsening this weekend w/the tragic turn of events. Regardless of what some might think, I'm sure Kate and William were and are feeling horrible about the death of Jacintha and that added stress was something Kate was supposed to avoid.

I really hope they can manage things at home for Kate this time, as being at home is a far better place to get rest at than any hospital from my own experiences. Remember, she hasn't only got William there to help her out for company and support.

I'm sure Lupo knows *something* is really wrong health wise w/his Mistress and as any of us w/four legged furry Family Members know, if they *know* something's not right they will stick as close to you as possible. I'm sure Lupo's helping them both right now by just being there close by.

I think it would be a good thing for all concerned for Kate and William to have a nanny. Royal nannies are carefully selected and seem to remain for years. A trusted nanny adds an important element of stability to a young child's life. There is always someone there whom the parents can rely upon and with whom the child has a solid relationship, and whose job it is to perform the necessary tasks in a professional manner. It is an extra person to care and guide them. The parents then don't have to worry about leaving the child alone while they attend to necessary engagements.

The DM and the Telegraph have printed this story - the same story because they feed stories between each other.

Catherine and William do not talk to anyone about their personal lives - except perhaps their parents. This story is, in my opinion, has been made up. Its like setting a trap. The Cambridges will undoubtedly need a nanny and then the DM (followed by the Telegraph) will say that they have gone back on what they had said about bringing up their children "normally" without a nanny. As the majority of working mums in the Uk use nannies/au pair or child minders - that's a joke.

There's a reason why British nannies can command really big salaries. Many of them are childcare experts who have a real calling towards the work, and William's own nanny was very close to him- as evidenced by the fact that he just took time off to go to her funeral and the fact that she maintained a close relationship with the boys as they became adults.

I think it's actually a really wonderful thing for parents to know their child is in the capable hands of someone their child has formed a bond and a relationship with. William and Kate are going to be very, very busy people and it makes total sense that they'll need someone like that in their lives.

Poor Kate it's the nature of that illness it's going to leave then come back. Hopefully once she hit's the three month mark it will go away but it may be with her the whole pregnancy. They can still be hands on parents with a nanny I can't see them doing without one longterm not with their schedules. Maybe they want the first few weeks by themselves so they can bond as a family. A good nanny is a great find and they will be very careful choosing one.

I would think a nanny would be necessary as a constant as the Duke and Duchess's royal duties increase over the years. I don't see Pippa, for example, taking on that role, she will have her own life and likely children of her own.

I would think a nanny would be necessary as a constant as the Duke and Duchess's royal duties increase over the years. I don't see Pippa, for example, taking on that role, she will have her own life and likely children of her own.

There's no one in either of their families that could provide the kind of childcare they will need.

There's a reason why British nannies can command really big salaries. Many of them are childcare experts who have a real calling towards the work, and William's own nanny was very close to him- as evidenced by the fact that he just took time off to go to her funeral and the fact that she maintained a close relationship with the boys as they became adults.

I think it's actually a really wonderful thing for parents to know their child is in the capable hands of someone their child has formed a bond and a relationship with. William and Kate are going to be very, very busy people and it makes total sense that they'll need someone like that in their lives.

If I were working royal parents, I'd first set some goals for quality time to spend with the children. I'd work our schedules with the firm around that. They do have choices.

They can bring the children along on royal duties. That's never really been done. Wills went to Australia, but someone nanny-ed him while mum and dad did the tour.

They can do a Schedule where one of them is always home with the children while the other works a day or two. That could work but the public would not get to see William and Catherine together.

Personally, I'd get a nanny - someone who was always there with the children, shared my sense of how to raise them and who could be there for them when I was not working. The person would be part of TEAM CAMBRIDGE and could provide continuity.

Wills and Harry clearly adored their nannies - and benefited from that stability while mom and dad worked.

It is a big decision - but fortunately - one can always change ones mind later!

Last edited:
I empathize tremendously with the Duchess. With my younger daughter I didn't find any relief until actually giving birth to her.
I felt just like the same with both my daughters:sad: and I had to work... and it was very difficult to look after my eldest daughter during my first pregnancy with all the sickness... hard times, but now I have two beautiful daughters.. My babies:p

They can bring the children along on royal duties. That's never really been done. Wills went to Australia, but someone nanny-ed him while mum and dad did the tour.

The alternative

Can't say I have ever been a fan of that idea. The children become over exposed and to some extent just props for a photo op.

The idea of not having a full time nanny only works if Catherine is not a full time royal and neither is William. They will still need a nanny for the times they are doing royal duty. Another alternative is that Catherine gives up royal duties completely.

That is, of course, if you believe the story in the first place.

The child would have a security detail, and no nannie. Unlikely.

I can't imagine Kate giving up royal duties. She's the flavour of the decade. No way would she be able to get away with that.

And I think that if William believes he can stanch interest in his family, and Kate in particular, by staying in the armed forces, he's living in a dream. Hiding them will be like issuing an invitation to the press to hunt them out and photograph them. The press remembers the money they made from Diana and they expect her son and his beautiful new wife to make themselves available to help them make some more now. Like it or not, William and Kate are celebrities of the first order.

Being from this side of the pond, I do not understand compassionate leave from the military in the UK.

Here in the US we have a law covering Family and Medical leave. It is often a very good thing, but as with all regulations - it has some technicalities to live with.

How does that work for someone in the British services? How much leave can he expect to get for Catherine's condition? What impact will that have on his flying hours and maintaining his status with his team in Angelsey? Does anyone know?

Compassionate leave is normally for something serious - a death in the family usually. This is an option punted by the press. He is currently on his "2 weeks off" stint which should last till end of the week. Then he's back in Anglesey.

There is so much fluff being written in the press at the moment its better just to wait and see.

I can't imagine Kate giving up royal duties. She's the flavour of the decade. No way would she be able to get away with that.

And I think that if William believes he can stanch interest in his family, and Kate in particular, by staying in the armed forces, he's living in a dream. Hiding them will be like issuing an invitation to the press to hunt them out and photograph them. The press remembers the money they made from Diana and they expect her son and his beautiful new wife to make themselves available to help them make some more now. Like it or not, William and Kate are celebrities of the first order.

I don't think she can either!

Interesting post but William and Catherine are not celebrities. Celebrities come and go but royalty is for keeps. These 2 know that once they start full time that is it for the rest of their lives. Who can blame them for trying to put it off, even if its just for a couple of years. For a young man of 30 to see a possible 50 years of royal duty is hard. The PoW found it hard to give up navy life and he will not press William to give up his service life if it can be avoided.

As someone who has never been pregnant, is HG a sign that something is wrong in the pregnancy. I am always apprehensive about a woman being pregnant until she reaches her 4th month; Kate is supposedly at 10wks. So I'm just getting slightly worried that's all.
Also to all he ladies in here who said they had HG, did you know what it was before you had it, or only discovered it when the doctor told you what was happening to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom