The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where you live, but in the U.S., according to the HIPAA laws, the hospital staff cannot even tell you if someone is there or not ... or aren't supposed to, anyway. The immediate family, and anyone else authorized by the patient, is given a code that has to be revealed before any information is given over the telephone. I have gone through this experience with a sister who was in a Maryland hospital, and a brother who was in a Louisiana hospital.

But they didn't ask if she was a patient. The nurse said too much but if she had only said "she's having a good night. she's sleeping" I can't see anyone being fired over that. I think the part about her care (the IV fluids and the dehydration) was too much detail and why it would be a HIPAA violation. But the other stuff isn't professional but isn't firing material. People always ask how their family member is doing and "fine" or "asleep" is not a violation.

I listened to the radio hoax and have to say I was shocked that the nurse continued the call! Anyone with a little wit would realise that it wasn't the Queen and the PoW! It was a ridiculous impression with someone 'barking' in the background pretending to be a corgi.

The DJs should have realised it was going too far and hung up. However I don't think when they started the call they ever imagined they would get anywhere!

My last comment on this-

Why would these radio presenters would think its funny to waste the nurses time? Don't they understand these people are working long hours and busy looking after the patients? I think they should be ashamed for violating Catherine's privacy and putting the nurse in that kind of situation.

I wonder if Catherine is getting better enough to be released? Perhaps this weekend?

The first thing that should have been a giveaway that it wasn't the Queen (other that the horrible accent) was the "Queen" asked for Kate. No way is the Queen calling her Kate to a stranger, she probably doesn't do it in private (she is probably called Catherine). Plus you would think that someone is the UK would be more familar how the real Queen sounds like. I can see if they posed as Pippa since who know what she sounds like.

The transcripts in the papers are edited to removed the more personal info. The Telegraph reported that VIPs had their own private lines in their rooms at the hospital.

The Queen isn't making her own calls, an aide would do that. Just think if the nurse took a cell phone picture of Kate in the hospital and sold it to press.

:previous: interesting point Skippyboo. How many journalists are stalking the staff entrance and trying to make contact with a range of staff, not just nurses

I would guess that the 2nd nurse - the one who gave out the information - was misled in part because the call was put through. She may have even been told by the transferring nurse that it was a call from the queen. This could have happened even without it being on the audio if it occurred before the connection was completed. The 2nd nurse would then be under the impression the caller was already vetted. Depending on hospital policy, even the fact that the call was patched through to that station may have been seen as an indication that the call had "passed" through some procedure. It may be the first one to answer the phone was the one who was negligent.

You gotta love Edward and Sophie. I imagine they'll be a wonderful support system for William and Catherine, along with the rest of the RF and the Middleton clan.

Prayer for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge:
Prayer for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

This is very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

I'm in agreement with the article. Some things need to remain private. The couple deserves that kind of curtesy. After all, we already know a great deal about their lives, so there's no need to go this deep. I hope that their privacy will be respected and the child will have a chance to experience a childhood that is as 'normal' as can be expected when one is third in line to the British throne.

But they didn't ask if she was a patient. The nurse said too much but if she had only said "she's having a good night. she's sleeping" I can't see anyone being fired over that. I think the part about her care (the IV fluids and the dehydration) was too much detail and why it would be a HIPAA violation. But the other stuff isn't professional but isn't firing material. People always ask how their family member is doing and "fine" or "asleep" is not a violation.

I was pointing out how difficult it is to get any kind of information or update in the U.S. When the DJ called the hospital, she asked for the room, but didn't give a code, and yet she was put through to Kate's room immediately without question. Once put through, she didn't give a code to the nurse, either (which would have been required in the U.S., even having been put through by the operator). It's obviously a different procedure in the U.K.

The call was made in the early hours of the morning and somebody wasn't paying close attention. Probably someone at the switchboard half asleep. You can't be too careful.

Since this call was in the early morning hours wouldn't it be very odd that the Queen's dogs would be barking in the background and that she would be asking Prince Charles to take or walk her dogs.

It would have been interesting if the Queen or William had actually been there when the person called and said that they were the Queen.

Last edited:
If the Middletons went in via a back entrance yesterday, I wonder why everyone else doesn't use the back entrance to go in too.

Honestly, there are probably photographers camped out everywhere now, plus... can you imagine the headlines if no one was seen to be visiting her or spending any time with her?

"Pregnant Kate Left Alone in Hospital, Cries 'I'm reliving Diana's hell'."

Guarantee it.

Exactly, while some are sending the nurse to The Tower of London, these radio presenters are getting what they wanted, fame. Their prank is all over the news, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, BBC, Sky, etc. What they did was violate the privacy of a patient.

I'm just happy this crazy incident haven't dampen the spirits of TRH.
Definitely the radio presenters should be sent to the Tower!

I would guess that the 2nd nurse - the one who gave out the information - was misled in part because the call was put through. She may have even been told by the transferring nurse that it was a call from the queen. This could have happened even without it being on the audio if it occurred before the connection was completed. The 2nd nurse would then be under the impression the caller was already vetted. Depending on hospital policy, even the fact that the call was patched through to that station may have been seen as an indication that the call had "passed" through some procedure. It may be the first one to answer the phone was the one who was negligent.

Considering who the patient is, you would think procedures would have been in place shortly after she arrived since Prince Phillip had recently been a patient there. It isn't as if they haven't experienced a high profile Royal patient before. The palace and her PPO's should have also established a protocol for family members calling where a code was used or filtered through certain staff at the hospital. Rather sloppy all the way around really.

I must miss something because the only place I see comparisons to Diana is on this site who compare the DoC to PoW, then say how it is done everywhere, all the time.

I agree, and good point. At the hospital where I work, unless we give the patient's family the unit's phone number, no one outside the hospital (besides immediate family of staff on the unit) knows the number. I am surprised that the Nurse did give as much away, which indicates to me that Kate signed a release to allow information to certain people instead of a total info blackout and the nurse just didn't vet the call properly. I find it hard to believe that as a nurse with such a high profile patient, she would give out info so readily if she wasn't able to...from listening to the call, she gave the info quite readily.

Thank goodness we have a unit clerk to vet our calls!!! LOL. Our unit is pretty small as well, so we get to know the patients and families pretty well and rarely we have a problem getting patients to sign our waivers to allow us to discuss them over the phone. We also don't give away too much anyway (basically no more that what the nurse divulged about Kate). If they want more info than how the day is going or if they've had visitors, we direct them to call the family for an update.

Hope Kate is able to go home soon...not fun trying to sleep in a strange bed, especially when you're sick!

I must miss something because the only place I see comparisons to Diana is on this site who compare the DoC to PoW, then say how it is done everywhere, all the time.

The media compares Kate to Diana quite a bit. When Kate wore that green dress last week, a few media outlets published photos of Diana in a green dress and said that Kate was channeling Diana.

Then this week, there's been a lot of media stories about how Kate will cope with pregnancy/motherhood compared to Diana.

Last edited:
First off...I can't believe this happened and just as the questions about the PPO/Security Personnel screw up when it came to Harry's Adventures in Vegas and not gathering up any and all Smart Phones were starting to die down a wee bit, this happens. I'm surprised there isn't a PPO screening calls before handing it over to the Nurse/Kate/whomever's in the room. Or at the very least set up a code word that only select people know.

This is one of the worst things a Medical Professional can do to a Patient and she should be fired. Right along w/those idiotic twits who call themselves Broadcast "Professionals".

True professionals for starters would never even think of doing something like this. However, when it became obvious they were actually being transferred and then getting actual information on Kate's condition...That's when they should have hung up. Medical Professionals aren't the only ones w/a Code of Conduct. These two dinkledorfs (my Nephew made that one up when we were little to describe when someone does something really, really, *really* stupid) not only broke most of what makes up the Code of Conduct for behaviour on air, but also showed they have the maturity of children and embrassing their Station in the bargain. Due to all of that, they should also be fired.

One thing I know for sure however? I am so glad I was nowhere near William when he was told this. HRH would *not* and more than likely still is *not* happy about this stupid stunt taking place.

I have just heard the phone call and I cannot Belive that was true...it is impossiible that such a phone call have been made by a nurse...they are not só naive for such a thing...that was a Joke.

Official Releases from both the Hospital and the Palace stating this did indeed happen isn't proof enough for you? Really?

If that's not enough proof for you or all of the links available in this thread to educate everyone that Kate's not going through what we all think of when we hear "Morning Sickness" enough for you to believe she's not acting like a pampered entitled woman, then once again, not sure what will do it.

Sigh...I told Mom earlier the first person who walks in the door to this house and starts in on me about how Kate can't handle a "little bit of Morning Sickness like every other woman I've known"...Well...It's not going to be pretty.

Thanks to those who shared the link to the Prayer the CoE composed for the Duke and Duchess. So beautiful. :)

Last edited:
The good thing though, was that the nurse didn't put the call through to Kate - now that would have been a serious disaster. The radio station is 98% of the blame and the rest falls on the nurse, as she should have known better. What the radio station did was a disgrace and something should be done with the radio hosts.

Announced on the day of, or the day after. The most recent 'line of succession' baby, not counting Savannah or Isla, Viscount Severen his names were released the day after he was born.

Thanks Lumutqueen!

I think the blame lies totally with the nursing staff ... there would DEFINITELY be policies and procedures and they would know there is always the chance of fowl play. The radio station is stupid but then IMO what more could one expect I just don't understand the fury toward them, rather question why would a member of the nursing staff be so stupid as to think this would/may happen.
Sorry I just don't agree with the thought process that the radio station is to blame they have even said they were surprised that they even got past the switch board. IMO only of course

I think the blame lies totally with the nursing staff ... there would DEFINITELY be policies and procedures and they would know there is always the chance of fowl play. The radio station is stupid but then IMO what more could one expect I just don't understand the fury toward them, rather question why would a member of the nursing staff be so stupid as to think this would/may happen.
Sorry I just don't agree with the thought process that the radio station is to blame they have even said they were surprised that they even got past the switch board. IMO only of course

The blame should be equally shared. If the King Edward VII Hospital is like the one I work at, we have patients sign a release saying whether or not family can be informed of the patient's status if they call. No doubt Kate signed a release of some sort and stipulated who could be informed of her condition if they called. The nurse erred in that she should have further vetted the caller to somehow establish identity before divulging information. The saving grace for the nurse is what she did say we already knew. Kate was dehydrated when she was admitted, getting fluids, and William left around 9. She really didn't say much we didn't already know - except she was sleeping and had an uneventful night. Really unfortunate that this happened, and I hope that the DJs feel bad for possibly getting someone fired.

Considering I was just at their website to leave a comment on just how disgusting a stunt this was and is, and they've got a picture of Kate and "Best Royal Prank EVER" plastered next to it on their Front Page Queen Penelope, I don't think any feelings of remorse are being felt at all at that poor excuse for a radio station. They're literally boasting about it like it's something to be proud of.

Wonder if they'll still feel that way if, as an Aussie friend of mine is thinking, they get nailed w/all of the violations of the various Aussie Communications Laws this stupid stunt ended up doing. Then there's the potential Criminal charges that could come from this.

I sincerely hope they get well and truly nailed for pulling such a stupid stunt.

Considering I was just at their website to leave a comment on just how disgusting a stunt this was and is, and they've got a picture of Kate and "Best Royal Prank EVER" plastered next to it on their Front Page Queen Penelope, I don't think any feelings of remorse are being felt at all at that poor excuse for a radio station. They're literally boasting about it like it's something to be proud of.

Wonder if they'll still feel that way if, as an Aussie friend of mine is thinking, they get nailed w/all of the violations of the various Aussie Communications Laws this stupid stunt ended up doing. Then there's the potential Criminal charges that could come from this.

I sincerely hope they get well and truly nailed for pulling such a stupid stunt.

I do too. I also hope it's pointed out to them that the massive frustration that people feel when their friends and loved ones are hurt and in the hospital and they can't get any information? That's caused by people like them, who cross the line and abuse the system and force hospitals to put up elaborate guards against information.

Common sense can't prevail because people can't be counted on to show common sense. I hope the next time one of these DJs is sick with worry about a loved one and can't get any information, they understand why.

Sad that they're actually bragging about it. If the nurses there do the last round of the night the same time we do, it's would be terrible timing to get the call at 5:30 am.

As a nurse, 5:30 am gets busy. We are passing meds, emptying catheter bags, doing IV totals, taking vital signs, preparing report for the next shift, charting, repositioning patients, washing up any patients who need to be washed up and tying up any loose ends and ensuring everything is ready for the staff coming on duty. If someone called at 5:30am near the end of my 12h shift, I would not be quick to catch on that it was a prank. I would try to be as polite as possible, probably tell them something along the lines of what the nurse said - "an uneventful night" - and get back to doing my damn job which should not include screening calls because, quite frankly, I am there to nurse a patient back to health and have a ton of other things more important to deal with than take a phone call in the middle of doing rounds.

If you sign a release saying X can be told how you're doing and someone calls saying they're X, I'm not going to argue too much (because I'm damed if I do, and I'm damned if I don't). I'm basically going to tell them how the day/night went and if they had visitors or if you slept, not much more. If people are so concerned about their information, don't sign a release, give your family a direct phone number and tell them to call you or designate someone to field calls and don't call the unit!

What laws did the radio station break? And I can tell you this isn't the first prank they have played but usually they get cut off before anything interesting happens. Pretty sure they have rung Buckingham Palace etc as well before. They didn't expect to get through not their fault the hospital wasn't on the ball or the security team. As soon as Kate's name was mentioned they should off been told they couldn't put them through. If it really was the Queen I doubt she would need to go through the switch and certainly wouldn't call herself most people would know this. Over here all you get is a they are fine but I can't tell you anything else and if the patient is ok do you want to speak to them. I am in and out of hospital all the time and it's the exact same with my family when they call about me. It's usually she is doing ok that is it! Someone was chatty and not thinking.
I don't see the radio station doing a thing they have had a tonne of publicity and they have done way worse things and let their on air talent get away with it. These two will probably get promoted!!

^According to the articles I've read, the radio station may have broken Australia's broadcasting regulations.

Sad that they're actually bragging about it. If the nurses there do the last round of the night the same time we do, it's would be terrible timing to get the call at 5:30 am.

As a nurse, 5:30 am gets busy. We are passing meds, emptying catheter bags, doing IV totals, taking vital signs, preparing report for the next shift, charting, repositioning patients, washing up any patients who need to be washed up and tying up any loose ends and ensuring everything is ready for the staff coming on duty. If someone called at 5:30am near the end of my 12h shift, I would not be quick to catch on that it was a prank. I would try to be as polite as possible, probably tell them something along the lines of what the nurse said - "an uneventful night" - and get back to doing my damn job which should not include screening calls because, quite frankly, I am there to nurse a patient back to health and have a ton of other things more important to deal with than take a phone call in the middle of doing rounds.

If you sign a release saying X can be told how you're doing and someone calls saying they're X, I'm not going to argue too much (because I'm damed if I do, and I'm damned if I don't). I'm basically going to tell them how the day/night went and if they had visitors or if you slept, not much more. If people are so concerned about their information, don't sign a release, give your family a direct phone number and tell them to call you or designate someone to field calls and don't call the unit!

The hospital has admitted that there was a failure in procedure. They said that for high profile patients, there is a secure (and direct) phone line and the number is only given to those that are authorized.

So anyone in Kate's family would have been calling on the secure line and not the main hospital one.

Last edited:
If doctors get to keep their jobs when they make a mistake that kills someone I don't think this nurse should be fired for making such a small mistake. Give her and her colleagues further training on when to divulge and not divulge info over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom