The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PetticoatLane, I could not have said it better myself. And I totally reject the idea that the Middletons must shut tha elves inside their home and avoid everything. They would be prisoners and let the media win that way.

The Middletons had a business long before Kate ever met William.
Their business is to offer party stuff for every type of party. Should they stop offering stuff to celebrate a birthday or a wedding?

The public have the right to buy what they sell or purchase from a competitor. People buying from the Middletons because of their connection is not much different from shopping at a business with a royal warrant.

Cashing in on their royal connection is offering a chance to met William, or the Queen for a price.
Or offering the Cambridge collection which is signed by the couple or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

In the First World War, Catherine's great-great-grandfather John Harrison enlisted with the Duke of Cambridge's Own Middlesex Regiment in the town of Houghton-le Spring.

Charles Spencer blazed the trail

Last edited:
uhm I don't think talking about Kate is a smart move... The are entitled to talk about themeselves or ther business but I think Kate (since she is a very public person and a royal family's member) should be off limits... And now they will be blamed of looking for fame and spotlight.... (actually they don't need it).

I don't know why Pippa and James can't talk about Kate. Charles Spencer didn't shy away from talking about Diana. Lady Elizabeth Anson (the Queen's cousin), is constantly on tv talking about the BRF. Another cousin (Margaret Rhodes), wrote a book about her relationship with the Queen. And just recently, Princess Michael has been all over the place discussing the BRF, while promoting her new books.

Plus it's not like Pippa and James are actually revealing anything. It's all so basic....George is great, we're a close family and see each other all the time, etc. Hardly anything scandalous.

Here's another interview where he talks about his business and having dyslexia.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...lexia-marshmallows-and-donna-air-9225860.html

Last edited:
^^^ I agree and its a pretty smart move too. It helps satisfy public curiosity in Kate without revealing anything private or personal.

Exactly. I think they're handling it really well. They know they're going to be asked about Kate, so they discuss her without actually revealing anything. I noticed when the interviewer asked about Kate coming to New York, James told her he had no idea, because he didn't keep track of her diary. So her family knows there is a balance they have to strike, and are well aware that there are certain things they can't discuss.

Last edited:
It is interesting that "everyone keeps saying that" James William looks like Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.

Either him or George V. I found it nice to hear from him. He's obviously proud of his family and it shows. It's good to see him out and promoting his business. I'd like to have a Boomf Marshmallow on top of my hot chocolate. It seems like a fun idea.

I don't know why Pippa and James can't talk about Kate. Charles Spencer didn't shy away from talking about Diana. Lady Elizabeth Anson (the Queen's cousin), is constantly on tv talking about the BRF. Another cousin (Margaret Rhodes), wrote a book about her relationship with the Queen. And just recently, Princess Michael has been all over the place discussing the BRF, while promoting her new books.

Plus it's not like Pippa and James are actually revealing anything. It's all so basic....George is great, we're a close family and see each other all the time, etc. Hardly anything scandalous.

James Middleton's family values: the Duchess of Cambridge's younger brother talks dyslexia, marshmallows and Donna Air - London Life - Life & Style - London Evening Standard

Great post - you can add Tom Parker Bowles, Mark Philips, Peter Philips, Zara Philips. They accept interviews because they have a living to make. They handle the questions well, and dont give anything away. Same as Pippa and James.

The thing is, they will always be asked about Kate and George.
That is what the media is interested in, so they must say something. So far, they've done very well, I think they are all careful not to embarrass the RF.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...lexia-marshmallows-and-donna-air-9225860.html

To be fair, whenever any other family members speak about their Royal relations they get criticized as well. Wasn't it just a few months ago where Camilla's daughter-in-law was being criticized for daring to answer a question about Kate? I've even seen Peter and Zara criticized for doing so.

Personally, I think it's one thing when a relative answers a question in an interview - particularly when they stick to a general or vague response and don't really violate anyone's privacy - and another thing when they write a book or build a museum for them. What James did here was completely acceptable, especially in comparison to what other relatives have done (coughCharlesSpencercough).

The thing is, they will always be asked about Kate and George.
That is what the media is interested in, so they must say something. So far, they've done very well, I think they are all careful not to embarrass the RF.

So they have learned to give an answer that gives away nothing. I'm fine with that. If we think unofficial pictures are bad, how much worse are unofficial stories? Think about that.
Harry's the only one who is allowed to say revealing things like "the baby puked on Will's blue dot tie the other day and aren't we all pleased?" :lol:

Peter got blasted for selling his wedding pictures to Hello. Zara sold baby pictures to Hello but didn't get much backlash.

Both James and Pippa talked about other things and it wasn't all about Kate and George. William even talked about his family when he did his wildlife special documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Daily Mail Royal Reporter - Rebecca English - was complaining earlier (in a v sarcastic way) about James being interviewed in the US. Tweeted some stuff about DM never doing "fluff" interviews. (Took me 15 minutes to recover)

Here is the reason why DM wont get an interview - they are reaping what they have sown - yrs of putting down Carole Middleton and being rude about the family.

http://t.co/DLlUJnq9hw

Front page from twitter - cant give you any more cos I dont click onto the site.

^ Yep. That's exactly why they won't give them an interview. I saw that tweet from Rebecca English and had to roll my eyes. When William and Kate were dating, the DM wrote quite a few articles accusing the Middletons of being social climbers. I also recall the name Waity Kate being used by a DM reporter. They spent years putting down the Middleton family and now they honestly expect an interview?

To be fair, whenever any other family members speak about their Royal relations they get criticized as well. Wasn't it just a few months ago where Camilla's daughter-in-law was being criticized for daring to answer a question about Kate? I've even seen Peter and Zara criticized for doing so.

Personally, I think it's one thing when a relative answers a question in an interview - particularly when they stick to a general or vague response and don't really violate anyone's privacy - and another thing when they write a book or build a museum for them. What James did here was completely acceptable, especially in comparison to what other relatives have done (coughCharlesSpencercough).

Besides Charles Spencer, Princess Michael (who got quite a bit of grief over her comments about Diana) and Peter and Autumn (their wedding photos), none of the other family members have gotten much criticism.

I took a look through Laura and Tom's thread and the only criticism Laura seemed to get for that interview, was when someone thought she was sharing a private conversation that she had with Kate. Other than that, no one cared that she talked about her famous family. Same with Tom. He recently did an interview where he discussed how he felt when his mother's affair came out, and not a peep. That goes for the others as well - Zara, Mike, the Queen's cousins. They have all done tons of interviews about their family, yet I rarely hear comments about them needing to stop talking about them.

Meanwhile, the Middleton's can't be seen out in public (or even sell products for their business), without someone accusing them of being social climbers that are cashing in on Kate's fame.

I completely agree with you about James. He did totally fine in this interview and in the way he handled the questions about Kate and George.

Great post - you can add Tom Parker Bowles, Mark Philips, Peter Philips, Zara Philips. They accept interviews because they have a living to make. They handle the questions well, and dont give anything away. Same as Pippa and James.

So true. I completely forgot about them.

Last edited:
^
Besides Charles Spencer, Princess Michael (who got quite a bit of grief over her comments about Diana) and Peter and Autumn (their wedding photos), none of the other family members have gotten much criticism.

I took a look through Laura and Tom's thread and the only criticism Laura seemed to get for that interview, was when someone thought she was sharing a private conversation that she had with Kate. Other than that, no one cared that she talked about her famous family. Same with Tom. He recently did an interview where he discussed how he felt when his mother's affair came out, and not a peep. That goes for the others as well - Zara, Mike, the Queen's cousins. They have all done tons of interviews about their family, yet I rarely hear comments about them needing to stop talking about them.

Meanwhile, the Middleton's can't be seen out in public (or even sell products for their business), without someone accusing them of being social climbers that are cashing in on Kate's fame.

I completely agree with you about James. He did totally fine in this interview and in the way he handled the questions about Kate and George.

I agree that the accusations against the Middletons are the worst (at least as far as the BRF goes; I think a few of the unmarried partners of some of the Continental Royals/royal relations get about as much flack) as there is no way the family can go right. I do think that the siblings have used their royal connections rather wisely; to say that Pippa and James haven't benefited from Kate's celebrity would be a lie, but it seems more like they're putting themselves in a way that it's "hey, the Duchess of Cambridge's sibling did this", bringing attention to the "this" but in the end it's made to stand or fall on it's own. This isn't all that dissimilar from how the Phillips seem to operate sometime, or the Linelys, or a number of people related to the Continental Royals.

I'm going by memory here, so I could be wrong, but I feel like there has been more criticism of the Phillips and Bowes-Lyons set, just to name a few. Peter was criticized for selling his wedding photos, and he's done interviews where he'll answer a question about his grandparents or mother only to be criticized (I remember one happening around the Jubilee). Likewise, Zara was criticized for selling the pictures of Mia. Tom hasn't been criticized for his recent articles on his relationship with Camilla which I find odd (he's being a lot more public than royal relations are), but Sara was criticized a lot when she said that she and Kate had discussed clothes in the past. I also remember Lady Pamela Hicks being ripped apart when she answered a question about Diana in an interview promoting her memoirs.

The Middleton attack is always worse because it doesn't matter if they answer the questions about Kate or not, they're going to get attacked simply for daring to be in public - which is absurd. Their are also people we seem to "forgive" for blatantly benefiting from their connections - Tom comes to mind - and people we don't, and people who can get away with less blatantly benefiting - Peter and Zara - and people who can't - James and Pippa. The Middletons have it the worse by far (as far as the BRF goes), but they're not completely alone in being criticized. And if you look at the Continent... The Casiraghis aren't criticized for how they benefit from their royal connections, but Gad is constantly attacked for any perceived slight, similar to the Middleton experience. Sofia Helqvist is seen as using CP for his fame, and well Inaki... It certainly seems like he tried to use his royal connections as best as he could.

Well IMO people have defended them as being not in the spotlight and being very discreet but I daresay that Pippa and James like it... , (both parents have been discreet and avoided tv shows though). They are promoting thei business.... Also it seems people can't avoid comaprisons can they? It's just I don't like the recent fuss and tv appeareances...

Last edited:
I think with the Middletons its just out and out snobbery. That they somehow don't know their place.
America celebrates families like the Middletons but certain sections of British society still have issues.

In Kate The Making of a Princess, Claudia Joseph wrote:

Kate's great-grandfather Frederick Glassborow was conscripted into the Royal Navy as an ordinary seaman on August 12, 1914 and attached to Benbow battalion ten days later. The battalion formed part of the first Royal Naval Brigade in the Royal Naval Division, known as 'Winston's Little Army'.

Yes, there are a lot of snarky remarks made by some in regards to the Middleton family and range from "using royal connections to plug their business" to "being common and aiming to climb the social ladder" to denigrating work/employment done years past.

It occurs to me though that it is the media, themselves, that are pursuing these people. I highly doubt Pippa calls up The Daily Mail and lets them know her personal diary for the next month or that James purposely walks his dog near where a reporter has been sighted hanging out or even Carole offering her Grandma's Brag Book to Hello! for an exclusive in exchange for ads for Party Pieces.

Ordinary people with ordinary lives are fascinated by the Middletons and, lets face it, the negative sells.

Catherine name drops her siblings during walkabouts. At one engagement she said her brother studies the art of tea making. At another she said her sister runs marathons, and that she was nicknamed Squeak to Pippa's Pip. If she can tell charming anecdotes during her work it's only fair that they can do the same.

I don't have a problem with harmless, flowery fluff. The Middleton siblings just need to be cautious not to become like Earl Spencer and Margaret Rhodes. It's a slippery slope and Tom Parker-Bowles is already losing his footing.

On a separate note, it's hilarious that The Daily Mail is bitter about being spurned by the Middletons. Who knew that if you fabricate malicious lies about somebody as part of a decade long hate campaign, that your victim will end up avoiding you. Those pesky Middletons need to learn to love their abusers. Basic human respect is for wimps.

Middletons jet off to Mustique to celebrate Carole's 60th birthday at £10,000-a-week villa with Kate, William and Prince George-
Middletons to celebrate Carole's 60th with Kate, William and Prince George | Daily Mail Online

They seem to be taking so much luggage - even if they are there for two weeks, not just one.

I had one case and one backpack for two seasons in Europe last year - from a summer evening gown, evening bag and shoes to metal attachments to tackle hiking in snow - and my backpack was just medication! :lol:

Thirteen countries, three plus months travel, mostly on public transport - perhaps I should send them some packing tips. :lol:

Mrs Middleton looks good in her trendy gear - you can look smart in anything if you have a good figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom