The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I'm not sure if Mr. Middleton will receive a title from The Queen or future King Charles. I think it's possible Mr. & Mrs. Middleton could get an award from the Monarch on their success of their business and their contribution to children's entertainment and charity work but I think that's is far as it would go.

Is it possible they could get a title as parents of the future Queen? I don't know, has it been done before? Is it possible?

Guys, I'm not sure if Mr. Middleton will receive a title from The Queen or future King Charles. I think it's possible Mr. & Mrs. Middleton could get an award from the Monarch on their success of their business and their contribution to children's entertainment and charity work but I think that's is far as it would go.

Is it possible they could get a title as parents of the future Queen? I don't know, has it been done before? Is it possible?

Anne Boleyn's father? No sure about that but most fathers of future queens of the past had their own title already, so no need to give an additional to them. And I don't think it will be a title for Mr. Middleton.

But we don't know how Charles will use the orders who are in his personal gift once he is king. The queen is notorious careful with them, so I don't see her gifting Mr. Middleton with even a little medal, so to speak, but we don't know about Charles. Might be completely different with him and then it's IMHO an option.

Tom can inherit his title. Laura's husband too (less possible).
As a matter of fact Harry Lopes will definitely inherit a title: he will become a Baron in due course. Harry is the only son of Honourable George Edward Lopes, himself the only son of Massey Henry Lopes, 2nd Baron Roborough. As such, he will one day become 4th (or 3rd, if his father predeceases hi grandfather) Baron Roborough.

Massey Henry Lopes, 2nd Baron Roborough -> Honourable George Lopes -> Harry Lopes -> Gus Lopes (Harry's elder son) -> Louis Lopes (Gus' younger twin brother)

Apart from that, Harry stands to inherit the beautiful Gnaton Hall (in Devon) and the 3,000-acre Skelpick estate (in the Scottish Highlands).

Last edited:
Come on now folks, the chances of the Middletons receiving any title or honour from the monarch, whether QEII or Charles, is precisely ZERO. I'd happily bet my house on it never happening.

Ordinarily businesspeople who build multi-million pound businesses from scratch are exactly the sort of people who would get an MBE. I work in corporate banking and one of our customers who set up a software company which now employs people in several cities across the globe recently received his CBE.

In the UK, honours such as MBEs all the way up to knighthoods, are awarded for exceptional achievement in any field. Creating a hugely successful business which employs a lot people in the UK, while also using your success to benefit those less fortunate, would give you a good shot at an honour. Someone has to nominate you and the Honours Committee decide if you should get it.

Unfortunately for the Middletons, their daughter's marriage to the 2nd in line pretty much means they'd have to find the cure for cancer or discover how to make money grow on trees to receive an honour. They just won't get one, as deserving as they may be, because the press will interpret it as special treatment for Kate's family. The press criticism would be enormous.

There was a bit of a furore when Zara was awarded an MBE a few years ago, despite the fact that she'd become European and World Champion in Eventing. Any other equestrian competitor with the same achievements would've received the award without anyone batting an eyelash, but because it was Zara a lot of the press was very critical. In the end Zara accepted it, but there was significant debate about whether she should've been offered it, not because she hadn't done enough to deserve it, but because she's the Queen's granddaughter.

Last edited:
I agree QEII. No matter how deserving Michael and Carole might be now or become in the future any honour would be seen as only because of their daughters marriage.
Any public honour they might receive would be criticized. They get enough of that as it is just being at Ascot or on a boat during the river pageant.

In the UK, honours such as MBEs all the way up to knighthoods, are awarded for exceptional achievement in any field. Creating a hugely successful business which employs a lot people in the UK, while also using your success to benefit those less fortunate, would give you a good shot at an honour. Someone has to nominate you and the Honours Committee decide if you should get it.

To emphasize your point, we have to be reminded of people such as Sir Richard Branson. When I went fishing for information on Party Pieces and their charities, I noticed that another one of the Starlight Foundations supporters was Virgin Management which is Branson's business that he started from scratch. Branson was honored with a Knight Bachelor in 1999 for "services to entrepreneurship". I really think that if you place Party Pieces (no matter how successful that company has grown) alongside Branson's Virgin enterprises, its like comparing an elephant to a mouse.

The Middletons have made a wonderful mark on their business and social circles but in no way have achieved anything so remarkable that it stands above and beyond what a lot of other people have done and wouldn't stand a chance of being honored by the Queen and, as you pointed out in the case of Zara and her MBE, would amass sneers of "favoritism" by the bucket loads. Besides, I don't think the Middletons are the type of people that would donate or sponsor a charitable organization for the honor and glory it'd bring them but because they genuinely see the need and want to give back some of what they've been given.

I agree, Osipi, although for every Sir Richard Branson there are probably 100 small business owners who have contributed to their local economy and community, who will receive an honour. Farmers who have spent decades working the land and who volunteer their time to run the county agricultural show, for example, would probably get an honour if someone put their name forward. On the face of it, the farmer's not done anything anywhere near Sir Richard Branson's level, but he's contributed to his community in a way that deserves recognition.

Every year dinner ladies, crossing attendants, charity fundraisers, car park attendants, amateur sports coaches etc. etc., get honours for contributing to national life in their own way, whether that be big or small.

The one area of honours which is likely to change is that career civil servants who reach the top of their career ladder have traditionally been given knighthoods or damehoods automatically. That convention will probably change with the honours having to be earned in the normal way as everyone else.

You know, I think the Middletons hard work on building a successful business (which started in their own house) like Party Pieces, providing imployment for many and bringing joy to many children in hospitals and other children around the UK is a great achievement that deserve to rewarded, just like everybody else who have built great businesses.

I'm not ruiling out a chance for them to be nominated for an award and I hope it happens. No one is saying Mr. Middleton should be made an Earl, Lord, Duke or anything. No one is saying Mrs. Middleton should become a Countess, Lady or even a Duchess. I personally think it would be fair and nice for them to get a "pat on the back" for their hard work on building a very successful business that has served the community and children all across the UK.

The world has already come down on the Middletons because they didn't come fron an aristocratic background, who worked hard on a business that made it possible for Mr. & Mrs. Middleton to send their children to very good schools and give them the kind of opportunities that all parents want for their children.

Sure, if Mrs or Mr. Middleton was nominated for an award like a MBE or CBE, I'm sure their would be some criticism from those in the media and other on the internet because of who their daughter is but I think they deserve a pat on the back anyway and I hope The Queen or The Prince of Wales won't allow the outside noise to discourage them for giving Mr & Mrs Middleton some credit for working hard on a very successful business that help bring joy into many people households and to children.

So no matter what, I have my fingers crossed for them on receiving an award for their hard work some day.

I'm sorry but this convo is just crazy. I don't anybody would even suggest this idea of going them an award if they weren't the parents of Kate Middleton. As someone has already brought up Richard Branson I don't think the middletons compare. They are hard working people who deserve their success and shouldn't be hated on by the snobs in the British media. But I don't think they deserve an award or sone title just for being the parents of the wife of a Prince.

I just think the royals would decide to steer clear of the potentially serious PR problems any such award would bring. Why chance it? I agree that the Middletons, were they complete unknowns whose eldest daughter had just married the local milkman, would likely have a good shot at an honour.

The Queen has already made evident her gratitude to the Middletons, as well as the fact that she enjoys their company, by having them to Balmoral, inviting them to ride in the carriage procession at Royal Ascot and take part in her Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant.

All that, along with seeing their daughter happily bloom in her royal role as she has done, is probably enough for them.

That's right, they shouldn't get an award for being the parents of the Duchess of Cambridge but because of their hard work and effort in building a very successful business and contribution to the community. I hope they will get an award for their achievements someday down the line.

I just think the royals would decide to steer clear of the potentially serious PR problems any such award would bring. Why chance it? I agree that the Middletons, were they complete unknowns whose eldest daughter had just married the local milkman, would likely have a good shot at an honour.

The Queen has already made evident her gratitude to the Middletons, as well as the fact that she enjoys their company, by having them to Balmoral, inviting them to ride in the carriage procession at Royal Ascot and take part in her Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant.

All that, along with seeing their daughter happily bloom in her royal role as she has done, is probably enough for them.

I don't think The Queen giving the Middletons an award for their hard work and dedication to their successful business would mean a major PR for the palace. Folks would make a little noise but it won't be a major problem for the royal family and the palace. If so, shame on the critics.

That's right, they shouldn't get an award for being the parents of the Duchess of Cambridge but because of their hard work and effort in building a very successful business and contribution to the community. I hope they will get an award for their achievements someday down the line.

I do think though that if this was to happen, it would be along the lines of say...the community of Bucklebury would submit the nomination to the honors committee and it would go through the channels such as EIIR has pointed out rather than an honor bestowed on the Middletons by the Queen as her own personal acknowledgment.

The topic started off with wondering if the Queen would ever bestow titles on the Middletons. Gaining recognition for services to community and for good works is a totally different ball game.

How many people does Party Pieces employ? How much is raised for charity by the company? What other charitable activities do Michael and Carole engage in at the local or county level and for how many years. Maybe someday, down the road when the attention on them has died down and when these questions are answered some local worthy might recommend some sort of a gong for them and the government of the day will add one or both of ther names to the list for a MBE. Probably a long ways away from happening though, if ever.

I don't think The Queen giving the Middletons an award for their hard work and dedication to their successful business would mean a major PR for the palace. Folks would make a little noise but it won't be a major problem for the royal family and the palace. If so, shame on the critics.

You give the British press too much credit. They know that the average man on the street knows nothing about how the monarchy works, still believing that the Queen decides who gets MBEs etc., even though she has no say in it whatsoever. It wouldn't matter if the Palace pointed out that the Queen had nothing to do with it, the overall narrative would be 'Kate's parents given fancy award by the Queen', along with the assumption that it would be undeserved nepotism.

In a similar way, the DM had an article recently about the royals being 'hypocrites' for allowing wind farms to be built on Crown Estate land, despite Prince Philip being an open critic of them for requiring too much public subsidy. The Palace pointed out that the royals have no say whatsoever on the running of the CE, but did that matter to the DM? No. Meanwhile thousands of people will have read that article, or maybe even only its headline, and decided that the royals had their snouts in the public trough.

As a matter of fact Harry Lopes will definitely inherit a title: he will become a Baron in due course. Harry is the only son of Honourable George Edward Lopes, himself the only son of Massey Henry Lopes, 2nd Baron Roborough. As such, he will one day become 4th (or 3rd, if his father predeceases hi grandfather) Baron Roborough.

Massey Henry Lopes, 2nd Baron Roborough -> Honourable George Lopes -> Harry Lopes -> Gus Lopes (Harry's elder son) -> Louis Lopes (Gus' younger twin brother)

Apart from that, Harry stands to inherit the beautiful Gnaton Hall (in Devon) and the 3,000-acre Skelpick estate (in the Scottish Highlands).
Massey John Henry Lopes was born on 22 December 1969.1 He is the son of Henry Massey Lopes 3rd Baron Roborough and Robyn Zenda Carol Bromwich.2 He married Jean Underwood, daughter of Hon. Dr. The Justice Underwood, on 17 February 1996.1
He was educated Eton and Durham U.1 He lived in 2003 at Bickham House, Roborough, Plymouth, Devon PL6 7BL.1
Children of Massey John Henry Lopes and Jean Underwood
1.Henry Massey Peter Lopes2 b. 30 Jul 1997
2.Ralph George Franco Lopes2 b. 21 Mar 1999
3.Olivia Jean Sorell Lopes2 b. 1 Nov 2001

http://www.thepeerage.com/p56082.htm#i560812

HM didn't even like Margaret Thatcher and look there. I'd say, in the long run, a peerage is possible. That is about as the Monarchy will be willing to go at this point. Will read better in the long run. The only entity that know how to survive longer than the British Monarchy is the Catholic Church. It will read better for them in the long run.

HM didn't even like Margaret Thatcher and look there. I'd say, in the long run, a peerage is possible. That is about as the Monarchy will be willing to go at this point. Will read better in the long run. The only entity that know how to survive longer than the British Monarchy is the Catholic Church. It will read better for them in the long run.

There is a HUGE difference in the contributions made by a former long serving Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and a couple who successfully sell party favors over the internet but are really only known to the public because their daughter married the Queens grandson. To even compare the 2 is beyond belief IMO. Besides it is a very long standing tradition that former PMs receive a peerage and the Garter.

The Monarchy (ie HMQ) can only directly award honours within her own gift - ie RVO. The Government (represented by the Honours Committee) considers nominations for all other honours. So HMQ or the future KC3 giving an honour is not on the cards.

I do think though that if this was to happen, it would be along the lines of say...the community of Bucklebury would submit the nomination to the honors committee and it would go through the channels such as EIIR has pointed out rather than an honor bestowed on the Middletons by the Queen as her own personal acknowledgment.

The topic started off with wondering if the Queen would ever bestow titles on the Middletons. Gaining recognition for services to community and for good works is a totally different ball game.
Well said Osipi!

My point was that perpetual peerage does still occur. 20 or 30 years in this monarchy is a flash. They don't give one for 100 or so years, it might be out of favor.

The Monarchy (ie HMQ) can only directly award honours within her own gift - ie RVO. The Government (represented by the Honours Committee) considers nominations for all other honours. So HMQ or the future KC3 giving an honour is not on the cards.

IMHO you make them weaker as they are. If the queen wanted to bestow an honour on somebody, she'd find a way to get them added to the honours list. Same with Charles. :flowers::flowers:

Massey John Henry Lopes was born on 22 December 1969.1 He is the son of Henry Massey Lopes 3rd Baron Roborough and Robyn Zenda Carol Bromwich.2 He married Jean Underwood, daughter of Hon. Dr. The Justice Underwood, on 17 February 1996.1
He was educated Eton and Durham U.1 He lived in 2003 at Bickham House, Roborough, Plymouth, Devon PL6 7BL.1
Children of Massey John Henry Lopes and Jean Underwood
1.Henry Massey Peter Lopes2 b. 30 Jul 1997
2.Ralph George Franco Lopes2 b. 21 Mar 1999
3.Olivia Jean Sorell Lopes2 b. 1 Nov 2001

- Person Page 56082

That's strange. The same source - The Peerage - lists Massey Henry Edgecumbe Lopes, 2nd Baron Roborough as having only one child, George Edward Lopes, who in turn has one son, Harry Lopes (Laura's husband).
- Person Page 4236

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I guess he still has some growing up to do. I would think he would much rather be a respectable chap and be a part of the family but I guess not. Its quite unfortunate. Grow up Gary.

Yes, that looks either like Mr. Percy or Mr. Penry-Jones. Anyway, Pippa has produced a book, even though it hasn't been on the Top 10 list...

She's looking quite pretty, too, even though she has the family's make-up curse.

Unfortunately for the Middletons, they can choose their friends but not their family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately for the Middletons, they can choose their friends but not their family.

Embarassing moments have been recorded by Sophie, Edward, Philip, Anne, Mark (when married to Anne), Zara, Andrew, Sarah (allegedly ongoing), Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Harry, just for starters. How embarassing depends on when the event occurred, your personal view of the indiviudal and (IMO) which newspaper you work for.

But of course this applies to all of us! Perhaps the less said about that the better. :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom