The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well good for James. He needs to find a nice girl, he just needs to make sure the girl likes him for him and not because his brother in law happens to be the future King of England. :)

James Middleton: How I battled my crucifying dyslexia to read at Kate and William's wedding:
James Middleton: How I battled my crucifying dyslexia to read at Kate and William's wedding | Mail Online

I had no idea James had gone through so much with his dyslexia. I think it's very nice that he has decided to raise awareness on behalf of The British Dyslexia Association.

Fully agree. James did a brilliant job during the reading and its great he is raising awareness on behalf of The British Dyslexia Association.

Last edited:
James Middleton: How I battled my crucifying dyslexia to read at Kate and William's wedding:
James Middleton: How I battled my crucifying dyslexia to read at Kate and William's wedding | Mail Online

I had no idea James had gone through so much with his dyslexia. I think it's very nice that he has decided to raise awareness on behalf of The British Dyslexia Association.
this is not the first time he mentioned that his parents were disappointed when he left university. And he also made his father sound like a mean one:ermm: poor James:sad:

hkittybaby said:
this is not the first time he mentioned that his parents were disappointed when he left university. And he also made his father sound like a mean one:ermm: poor James:sad:

I think it sounds more like Michael wanted to see his son succeed and thought university was vital to that goal. A lot of parents feel that way. James however, has figured out how to run a successful business and I'm sure his parents are proud.

phil dampier‏@phildampier
Meanwhile Kate and Pippa's parents hosted a shoot over weekend on the nearby Bucklebury Estate owned by friends the Hartley Russells.

Prince Andrew was among the shooting guests.

:previous:
DM has a very unpleasant article mentioning the shoot.

Middletons shoot up the social ladder
Over the weekend, the Middletons hosted a shooting party near their new £4.85 million mansion in Berkshire and confirmed their rise up the social ladder by inviting Prince Andrew.

And another, equally unpleasant article from today:
Unlicensed to sell! Middletons risk wrath of Bond producers with their 007-themed party range
First they were accused of trying to cash in on the royal wedding, then they breached strict advertising laws surrounding the Olympics. But this time, the Middletons seem to have offended an even more formidable foe: James Bond. Just days before the new Bond film, Skyfall, was released, their party company was advertising apparently unlicensed 007 merchandise, urging online shoppers to throw their own ‘secret agent’ event.

I wonder if the Middletons have always shot, or they do it now that they feel they are part of "the circle". Like the horseriding lessons (at 30) that KM is about to take.

I don´t find the articles unpleasant at all, what I find disgusting is shooting for pleasure.

The British media have gone out of their way to at least try to catch the Middletons and their business "Party Pieces" doing something wrong. They have done this samething when it came down to the 'X Factor' party supplies, street party supplies, etc.

The DM site is good for riding the Middletons backs and dancing on their tonsils over their success and connections. That's a family they dislike with a passion and they know they have an audience for it.

The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background

I read an article, can't remember the title now, but apparently Kate's parents wanted to buy Highclere Castle from the Earl of Carnarvon (who just so happens to be the Queen's godson)- where they filmed Downton Abbey. Their company, Party Pieces, has made them millionaires now...

I wonder if the Middletons have always shot, or they do it now that they feel they are part of "the circle". Like the horseriding lessons (at 30) that KM is about to take.

I don´t find the articles unpleasant at all, what I find disgusting is shooting for pleasure.

I think the Middletons have been part of the country set for a longtime and have persued country set activities for a longtime. I don't think they do this for pure pleasure but I think they also eat what they kill. The same goes for The Queen and royals.

Yeah, the Middletons have been successful for a longtime. They sent their children to some pretty expensive schools. That's the kind of dream I have for my family.

I read an article, can't remember the title now, but apparently Kate's parents wanted to buy Highclere Castle from the Earl of Carnarvon (who just so happens to be the Queen's godson)- where they filmed Downton Abbey. Their company, Party Pieces, has made them millionaires now...

I would take that one with a huge grain of salt. If Highclere were ever to go on the market, which I dont believe it is, it would go for a great deal more money than the Middletons have and the buyer would likely be an Arab prince or a Russian oligarch.

I think the Middletons know their business site is being stalked by the tabloids. Trying to make false accusations aganist them and Pary Pieces.

rosana said:

I'd say that they may have been enjoying shooting for a while. That's what the upper class does, and getting bent out of shape about it is not going to help anyone. Shooting for the purpose of eating is perfectly fine by me, and I'd imagine the Middletons enjoy the fruits of their hunts, if you will. There's nothing wrong with starting to learn something new even in adulthood. Catherine wants to fit in with her in-laws as much as possible, and I find that very touching. Tells me she's serious about her current position. The DM gets a kick out of making pretty much any member of this family look bad on fairly regular basis.

I agree but I also find it sad that this family is beaten up about everything in the tabloids. I wonder if Crown Princess Mary or Princess Charlene's family go through this? or is it just a British media thing?

I agree but I also find it sad that this family is beaten up about everything in the tabloids. I wonder if Crown Princess Mary or Princess Charlene's family go through this? or is it just a British media thing?
Interesting question and I guess we'd have to check with posters in Australia and South Africa to see if their families are written up in the papers as often as the Middletons.

I suspect it is a media thing, more specifically a "class thing". The media tend to be much more snobbish than the so called "upper classes" themselves. God forbid that someone from the middle class makes a success of themselves and starts to enjoy some of the fruits of their success (able to send your children to good private schools, able to enjoy holidays abroad, a country house, children marrying well, be part of a syndicate that owns racehorses, hunting). Oh the horrors of it all. As every DM reader knows people should stick to where they were born, doff their cap in front of their betters, and only enjoy the good life by looking at pictures in the DM and dream about how much better other peoples lives are because they were born into the right family. In other countries the Middletons achievements and success would be something to be proud of, but in the UK certain elements in the media tend to suggest there is something wrong with personal achievements and making your own fortune. Its a case of "how come they are successful and I am not, there must be something wrong with them". That attitude is one of the few things I dislike about life in the UK. As I said at the beginning the media can be much more snobbish that any of the born to the manor families.

Last edited:
True, sometimes it seems like the media and people on the internet have their noses in the air than the actual people who you would think have their noses in the air. It's an interesting thing.

There have been reports that some of the royals longtime friends made fun of the Middletons but from what I see, they are a family that is well liked and people seem to enjoy their company. I remember there was an article in the Telegraph about the Middletons. Their family, friends and people who have bumped into them have nothing but nice things to say about the Middletons. If left up to the tabloids, there's two million and five hundred things that's wrong with this family.

As Pippa said:

"In the meantime I think it's fair to say that it has its upside and its downside. I certainly have opportunities many can only dream of – but in most ways I'm a typical girl in her 20s trying to forge a career and represent herself in what can sometimes seem rather strange circumstances. “[But] I can assure you that it feels even stranger to me than it probably does to you to have seen so much written about me when I have done so little to paint a picture of myself."

I used to think the ignorance and mistreatment of the Middleton's was a British thing; but from recent posts it appears it is only certain aspects of the culture that mistreat them and their success.

I would take that one with a huge grain of salt. If Highclere were ever to go on the market, which I dont believe it is, it would go for a great deal more money than the Middletons have and the buyer would likely be an Arab prince or a Russian oligarch.

It was Andrew Lloyd Webber who tried to buy Highclere Castle.
(This was prior to Downton Abbey.)
Webber owns a neighboring estate and thought Highclere would be a fine place to house his art collection.

The Earl got a bit miffed and stated that Webber should buy a place that was actually for sale! No love lost there.

I suspect it is a media thing, more specifically a "class thing". The media tend to be much more snobbish than the so called "upper classes" themselves. God forbid that someone from the middle class makes a success of themselves and starts to enjoy some of the fruits of their success (able to send your children to good private schools, able to enjoy holidays abroad, a country house, children marrying well, be part of a syndicate that owns racehorses, hunting). Oh the horrors of it all. As every DM reader knows people should stick to where they were born, doff their cap in front of their betters, and only enjoy the good life by looking at pictures in the DM and dream about how much better other peoples lives are because they were born into the right family. In other countries the Middletons achievements and success would be something to be proud of, but in the UK certain elements in the media tend to suggest there is something wrong with personal achievements and making your own fortune. Its a case of "how come they are successful and I am not, there must be something wrong with them". That attitude is one of the few things I dislike about life in the UK. As I said at the beginning the media can be much more snobbish that any of the born to the manor families.

I agree. I have a feeling that this family is scrutinized heavily due to their self-made financial success. There have been other royal in-laws that have had far more controversial backgrounds ie: Juan Zoriguetta than the Middletons.

I'd say that they may have been enjoying shooting for a while. That's what the upper class does, and getting bent out of shape about it is not going to help anyone.

This is a common misconception about 'country sports' (shooting, stalking, hunting with hounds etc.). Undoubtedly they're popular among the upper class, but they're not exclusively upper class pursuits. I live in a tiny little village in Northern Ireland and most Saturdays I can hear the shots of local people shooting at birds etc. This is not a part of the world with any aristocratic or landed gentry.

These sports are enjoyed by a whole range of people, most of whom are from perfectly average backgrounds, but see shooting and hunting as part of their rural identity and culture. An identity which has been under constant attack by the animal rights extremists and politicians on the left who want to whack people they see as 'toffs'.

As regards the DM's treatment of the Middletons, this was always going to happen. The British press love nothing more than building people up only to take great pleasure in beating them down again. That sense of envy is an unfortunate characteristic of many British people.

Good for them. It should offer them a bit more privacy and a place to entertain grandkids when the time comes. It should at least put off looney tourists walking up to the front door asking for autographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom