The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

my thoughts exactly! This woman, so far, hasn't done anything to receive those kind of critics. It's her daughter that is getting married. As we say here in Brazil it a case of "dor de cotovelo", literally meaning "pain in the elbow", meaning "to envy someone"

Not sure if anyone has said this before, but there is often good cause for thinking that anything by Victoria Arbiter [the reporter in the aforementioned piece] may be regarded as fairly authoritative. Victoria is the daugher of Dickie Arbiter, retired press secretary to the Queen. He is regarded as still maintaining very close contacts with the Palace. ( His other [less famous role!] was teaching me to Ice Skate!:))

Alex
umm, idk, I saw a video on YouTube with her, and the CBS journalist seemed to know more than she did!

Last edited:
my thoughts exactly! This woman, so far, hasn't done anything to receive those kind of critics. It's her daughter that is getting married. As we say here in Brazil it a case of "dor de cotovelo", literally meaning "pain in the elbow", meaning "to envy someone"

The article is of poor quality to begin with - Kate is not getting married to Prince Charles but Prince William :p

Whats new - The Middletons are used to receiving such press for many years, neither Kate nor her family hasnt exactly been popular with most parts of the British media (except Hello!, but they like everybody). I am not going to warm up all the old stories but especially Carole has been seen as pushy or snobbish or a social climber, apparently even Williams friends used to make fun of Kate because of her mother's past as an airhostess.

People tend to forget but the social class system in Britain is still alive and kicking, to this very day.

Yes, I agree that's image that's been forwarded by particular media outlets. But how much have we heard from people who know the Middletons well? In fact, their friends have been notably quiet. To have such discrete friends shows, I think, that the Middletons attract solid people as friends, which speaks well of them. It's particularly noticeable that the negative comments are about Carol, which I assume is because she's from lower quality "stock." The negativity toward Mrs. Middleton often comes from female writers, and seems to be a classic example of how some women unfortunately resent other women who are attractive and successful.

I am not going to warm up all the old stories but especially Carole has been seen as pushy or snobbish or a social climber, apparently even Williams friends used to make fun of Kate because of her mother's past as an airhostess.

Yes, I agree that's image that's been forwarded by particular media outlets. But how much have we heard from people who know the Middletons well? In fact, their friends have been notably quiet. To have such discrete friends shows, I think, that the Middletons attract solid people as friends, which speaks well of them. It's particularly noticeable that the negative comments are about Carol, which I assume is because she's from lower quality "stock." The negativity toward Mrs. Middleton often comes from female writers, and seems to be a classic example of how some women unfortunately resent other women who are attractive and successful.

perfectly put it!

People in Britain need to decide. either criticize people who have the ability to change classes or stop moaning about the ones who live after government benefits

Why is it that everything negative written about Carole Middleton has to be a lie or exxagerated? It's possible it's all true.... The not knowing her works both ways and sometimes rumors have truth in them, for years and years I've heard and read she was a social climber or a snob, is there any more reason to think it's not true rather then it is? Possibly these stories presist because Carole is a snob? We can't possibly know......just sayin'

And for the record for all the bad about Carole I've always heard/read Kate is a nice girl (but also read Pippa is a social climber too)

Why is it that everything negative written about Carole Middleton has to be a lie or exxagerated? It's possible it's all true.... The not knowing her works both ways and sometimes rumors have truth in them, for years and years I've heard and read she was a social climber or a snob, is there any more reason to think it's not true rather then it is? Possibly these stories presist because Carole is a snob? We can't possibly know......just sayin'

And for the record for all the bad about Carole I've always heard/read Kate is a nice girl (but also read Pippa is a social climber too)

For years I read that Carole embarrassed herself in front of the Queen (which, the way the story is told, any one of us could have done). But one of the first things we hear after the engagement: She has never met the Queen. Pippa has also been made out to be a social climber and fame wh***. But Pippa has very quietly been dating a guy without a title and without, to my knowledge, a massive fortune to his name for the better part of a year. So really, I've yet to see or hear anything other than anonymous rumors to back up any of the common claims about Carole and Pippa. So until there is actual proof, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially since this is the way Royal Reporters apparently operate: Britain's Royal Reporters Wage War Over Wedding Coverage of Kate and William - WSJ.com

jdcharlie said:
Pippa has also been made out to be a social climber and fame wh***. But Pippa has very quietly been dating a guy without a title and without, to my knowledge, a massive fortune to his name for the better part of a year. ]

I understand your point- just figured I'd pose the question....

I thought I'd read on this thread of another Pippa's bf is actually extremely wealthy in upper class - thus adding to the social climber rumors (but I maybe remembering incorrectly)

Pippa Middleton's Boyfriend, Alex Loudon

Dear JDCharlie and MRSJ:

I just read another article about Alex Loudon, this one by Katie Nicholl; Alex is Pippa Middleton's current boyfriend. This does not prove one way or another whether she is a "social climber," because we cannot see into her heart. To be fair, since her sister is going to marry a member of the Royal family, it increases Pippa's access to a much larger, and perhaps more highly placed, circle of friends and potential relationships. She is attractive, stylish and well-educated. So, it makes sense that she has many more opportunities to make her own good match -- and good for her!

Her boyfriend, Alex Loudon, is an Old Etonian, a friend of William's, a former top cricketer, and a budding financier, and reportedly is a very nice guy. His family has a stately home in Kent and he comes from an aristocratic background. I quoted from the article below:

"The couple started dating just before Christmas and the ex-England all-rounder cricketer Loudon, 30, who played for Kent and Warwickshire, is an old friend of William.

The pair were at Eton together and Alex, like William, was in 'Pop, the school prefects' society.

Well-bred Alex ticks all the right boxes. He has a double-barrelled name – he was born Alexander Guy Rushworth Loudon – and his family own a stately pile in Kent called Olantigh, which has a 20-acre garden that is opened to the public for walks.

‘He’s absolutely drop-dead gorgeous and Pippa is very smitten,’ says a friend.

‘He stopped playing county cricket in 2007 to go into the City, but he’s still a great athlete and a really good chap.’
"

At the end no one really knows how they are. I'm also assuming the best, because that's how I choose to be. But, if tomorrow Pippa were to do an interview for Hello Magazine revealing William and Kate' secrets, I would change my mind.
As jdcharlie said, it's easy to use the term "source" and print any stories. At the end if you don't care for them, you will tend to believe those, and if you do, you'll likely refute them. That how it happens.
My position towards the Middleton's is based on the way Catherine held herself trough out her relationship with William. Discretion. So with that in mind, I give them the benefit of the doubt, if you will. :)

There are so many aspects to making "first" and "second" cuts, as to who will one date. No woman (I would hope) would accept introductions and initial conversations with just random guys off the street. We all rely upon our social networks to help us select a mate. For me, and my daughters, this revolves around education and family history - before my daughters ever dared to "get to know" a boy, they wanted to make sure he wasn't from a family with problems they couldn't handle. It would be hard to say if either girl could have fallen in love with someone they hadn't met!

At any rate, the people one gets introduced to are not random, and many factors can change it. It is always easier to meet the less-discriminating families/individuals (by definition). It isn't just about money, as people sometimes imply with the term "gold-digger." It can be about shared values, etiquette, etc. - and then, once we have met a sufficient number of people who share our values, etc. - perhaps we fall in love with one of them.

I am happy to say that I have never fallen in love with someone whose values and upbringing were totally alien to mine, we value very similar things. It might look as if we were orchestrating such social events (attending university, collaborating on research projects - the things that brought me together with people whom I still rely on for friendship).

In short, it's likely that Pippa shares values with Kate, and that their family is copacetic with the Royals and the aristocracy.

Kate Middleton background

I agree with MrsJ, why is everything negative about the family untrue, it could be equally very true indeed. An example is Pippa, dating a person with no particular wealth, then the phrase which can mean a lot "as far as I know", and it turns out that her boyfriend comes from a very well off family and he is a friend of Prince William's with a family park open to visitors.:ermm:
All I know is that both Pippa and Carole have the reputation for being social climbers and I have to add, if they are, they have been very successful.
By the way what does copacetic mean?

I agree with MrsJ, why is everything negative about the family untrue, it could be equally very true indeed.

As some put it before, it could be, but the same people that wrote those kind of news, also were the ones publishing thing about the Middleton that we know are not true, like the "pardom" story.

It's hard to believe in those who call themselves Royal Reporters, but can't get litllest things right. If you didn't even know when the Middletons actually met The Queen, how I'm supposed to believe in more private affairs like personalities?!. pfff.

To each his own, but it's importante to make sure you know the history of the source. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if all goes according to plan, James's sister will be Queen.
How is that negative?
Can you provide sources that he is being quite vocal about it because I haven't seen anything like that in the British media.

As previously mentioned, I would take everything mentioned in British tabloids with a grain of salt. Remember Carole supposedly offending the Queen with her use of the word toilet (or something along those lines) and they have never even met? Or Catherine meeting with the Queen on several occassions in the past, when the first time they met was a Peter's wedding?

I find it ironic that Pippa is accused of dating only wealthy guys when in fact she is dating people that are now in her social circle. Don't most people date people who fall into the following categories 1) they grew up together 2) went to school together 3) met at church or 4) thru a social circle....with the advance of the internet we can now throw in online dating...but why is it hard for Pippa? Is it because her social circle is different than they one she was born into? Why does no one accuse wealthy girls of dating only wealthy guys? Aren't they dating people in their social circle...or is it the double edged nastiness of the British class system?

...but why is it hard for Pippa? Is it because her social circle is different than they one she was born into? Why does no one accuse wealthy girls of dating only wealthy guys? Aren't they dating people in their social circle...or is it the double edged nastiness of the British class system?
The last is how it comes across to me. You don't rise above your class when you are a commoner and you don't go below your class when you are wealthy.

And these comments are probably from the very people who are anti-monarchy/anti aristocracy.

Oh, the irony!!!!

Something nice about the Middletons...

They've been married, seemingly happily, for over thirty years. They started with little or not a lot, and have been ambitious, clever, and successful enough to become fairly wealthy. They're self-made. They educated their children in fine fashion. They have hopes that their children will have better lives than they have had. They stuck together through thick and thin for all these years- not every couple does that.

So to the Hooray Harrys who care to criticize and mock (doors to manual) the Middletons, I would say, how do you and your family measure up to their standards?

ETA: I'm not calling anyone on here "Hooray Harrys"! Just some of the anonymous snobby types who are so eager to say 'social climbers', etc.

Last edited:
I agree with you.The Middletons have stayed together.Build a successful business together.They look like a nice family to me.

The social climber remarks are VERY BRITISH. British society is still driven by a strong social class system that you are either part of by birth or you are not. Becoming rich or havng other values doesnt make up for it. The mockery in the british media is based on that perception more than anything else what might be difficult to understand for somebody who is not familiar with the british way of social life and history.

Here in California, the Middletons are what we would call nice, healthy people. Lack of ambition is not a good thing here. Ambition is a tiny part of success.

Hard work, good character, spiritual connections to the world - these seem to be a recipe for success. None of us knows anything at all about the Middletons, really. Not in these respects.

Do we?

If you don't know, don't judge. There's no point in ignorant judgementalism.

Yes, we Americans are a very strange lot indeed. :lol: I guess what I don't understand is ... if people in Britain don't like the class issues they complain about why not try and change those attitudes. Maybe in the long run that will be part of what Kate Middleton does simply by being who she is. It's a rather nice thought.

Its not just that they're social climbers, but they (Carole and Pippa) are snobby and prentitious about it. Thats what my impression of them is anyway.

:previous: Can I ask how you know that?

Have you had personal interactions with them?

:previous: Can I ask how you know that?

Have you had personal interactions with them?

IMO she makes it clear that it is her opinion by the last sentence she included (the "impression" part).
Yet I agree with your question, I wonder how that impression can come about - we hardly see them.

IMO she makes it clear that it is her opinion by the last sentence she included (the "impression" part).
Yet I agree with your question, I wonder how that impression can come about - we hardly see them.

And thats why I asked the question, the negative perceptions of Carole and Pippa have largely been drawn by the media. That's why I asked if she knew them personally.

Also, making unsubstantiated claims followed by "imo" still comes across as a fact. How do you get this impression unless you know them?

And thats why I asked the question, the negative perceptions of Carole and Pippa have largely been drawn by the media. That's why I asked if she knew them personally.

Also, making unsubstantiated claims followed by "imo" still comes across as a fact. How do you get this impression unless you know them?

Generally I already agreed with you, though my first sentence perhaps indicated otherwise. The only one from the Middletons we see on a regular basis is Catherine. The rest (her parents, brother and sister) are largely living in the shadows.
So the question indeed remains where that impression comes from.

Last edited:
WOW there must not be any real dirt on Kate and her family(besides her uncle I guess). The media is really trying too hard LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom