The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s wonderful news. Another Middleton wedding to look forward to.

I was actually expecting it not to be true considering the source isn't always very accurate and there are so many false engagement rumours for royals and royal adjacent couples. Congratulations to them.

I'd forgotten about the Cambridge Kids as attendants, so there probably will be a lot of paparazzi and media interest.

James has had his share of press scrutiny thought not quite to the level Pippa has had to put up with.
Wherever the wedding occurs I predict a heavy PAP presence hoping to get photos of George, Charlotte, & possibly Louis (although he'll most likely be too young to be there unless it's a very long engagement ?)

Not really. Charlotte turned two just weeks before Pippa got married. Louis will be two in April. A wedding in May is not unlikely.

We are extremely happy to be able to share the news of our recent engagement.

We are both so excited to be embarking on this life adventure together and can’t wait to be married.

- JAMES MIDDLETON AND ALIZEE THEVENET

Happy to have it confirmed so not just speculation. Congratulations.

If it's true there could be a variety of options, bride's home parish, groom's home parish, destination wedding, London, no church etc. I kind of think they'll go fairly traditional but they might surprise me. I don't think the media will go half as crazy with this one as they did with Pippa's if it's true. They were never as interested in his romances as they were Pippa's and weren't constantly trying to pair him up with Bea or a titled lady or say he was fortune/title hunting like they did with her.

Bride's home parish may be more questionable. Though Alizee is born in France, she didnt grow up there. She grew up in Belgium, Indonesia, Chile and Germany. And now as an adult has been living in the UK for some years as well.

Instead of in Scotland, they could marry at Alizee's father's hotel. He owns one in rural France.

http://www.moulinduchassaing.com/

Not massive but scenic. And could be held outdoors in May/June like Pippa's wedding.

Last edited:
Let's hope they will not marry the same day as Beatrice and Edoardo:flowers:

Congratulations to the couple! :flowers:
I have a feeling this wedding will be very glamorous. I'm wondering if James's dogs will be included in the bridal party :D

Let's hope they will not marry the same day as Beatrice and Edoardo:flowers:

I highly doubt that is a concern at all. They will not want to eliminate a good chunk of their wedding guests by having the wedding at the same time. They certainly have more flexibility of wedding dates to choose from.

I highly doubt that is a concern at all. They will not want to eliminate a good chunk of their wedding guests by having the wedding at the same time. They certainly have more flexibility of wedding dates to choose from.

Isn't that the truth. The Yorks and Middletons seem to run in many of the same social circles. Many of the guests at Pippa's wedding were at Eugenie's.

I can’t wait for the wedding. It’s the arrivals I look forward to.

Congratulations to James and Alizée!

Yes, I'm looking forward to it too. Pippa's wedding was a beautiful, classic country wedding. I have a feeling this couple might be a little quirkier, so that should be fun. Maybe they'll integrate the dogs into the wedding. The guest list should be interesting, James has a lot of friends. But I'm more curious from Alizee's side. Obviously she doesn't run in those circles because she didn't recognize James when she met him, so her friends will be a whole different group. And we might be able to learn a little about her family, like if she has siblings. So many possibilities here unlike royal weddings which are usually limited by tradition and pre-selected churches.

It's a pretty ring; looks like a square sapphire surrounded by diamonds?
(I'd like to see a clearer picture).

Yes, it looks like a square cut sapphire with a baguette cut diamond either side.

Yayy...my favorite Middleton is going to marry at last!? Several posters over at The Fail are feeling sorry for Donna Air because she was with James 5 years and Ms. Thevenet barely a year. They are even drawing parallels with James's pal Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi (who congratulated him) and his whirlwind engagement with Beatrice.

But I am a firm believer that when you meet your life partner, you sometimes know immediately, regardless of how long you have dated.

Anyway, I am happy for James after all he has been through with his struggle with depression.

Am I the only person who is often astonished by James's striking resemblance to both George V and Nicholas II?

The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background

I am so happy for James and Alizée. Huge congratulations to them! Looking forward to this wedding!

I imagine Spencer and James Matthew will likely be ushers or groomsmen along with Prince William.
We will see Charlotte, George and Louis again in a wedding party!

Last edited:
Yayy...my favorite Middleton is going to marry at last!? Several posters over at The Fail are feeling sorry for Donna Air because she was with James 5 years and Ms. Thevenet barely a year. They are even drawing parallels with James's pal Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi (who congratulated him) and his whirlwind engagement with Beatrice.

I think this is quite different. James and Donna broke up December 2017, then the exact same month (Dec 2017) Donna went on a romantic vacation to the Alps with Ben Carrington. To put two in two together it would seem that Donna was the one who ended the relationship so she could pursue things with Ben. Indeed pictures of the new couple show a very smitten Donna. Now if Donna is currently morose I doubt it has to do with James, but more to do with the press saying Donna and Ben broke-up this summer after a year and a half of dating.

James Middleton has been flooded with well-wishes following the announcement of his engagement to Alizee Thevenet.

After sharing his joy with the world on Sunday, Princess Beatrice's new fiancé Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi was one of the first of many to congratulate the happy couple.

"Adorable - congrats guys," the Italian property developer wrote on Instagram, while Prince Harry's ex-girlfriend Cressida Bonas said: "Congratulations!!! [Alongside a series of heart-shaped emojis]."

Holly Branson remarked: "Love love this pic. Many many congratulations you two."

Read more: Princess Beatrice's new fiancé is one of the first to congratulate James Middleton on his engagement

Last edited:
Do you think Catherine or Philippa or Prince William will do a reading at the wedding of James? James read at the wedding of Prince William and Catherine.

Do you think Catherine or Philippa or Prince William will do a reading at the wedding of James? James read at the wedding of Prince William and Catherine.

James gave readings at the weddings of both Pippa and Kate. If he chooses only one to do a reading, perhaps Pippa as Kate's kids will likely be in the bridal party so she will be included. William may be asked to serve as an usher.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageser...3e62724b847e.jpg?crop=380,570,0,0&resize=1200

Peter Francis Middleton was born in Leeds in 1920, the third son of Richard Middleton and Olive Lupton, a family of wealthy mill owners and solicitors.

After early tutoring at home with a governess where he developed a love of music and nature, Middleton attended Clifton College, Bristol before gaining a place at Oxford to study English. But within months of his arrival there he joined the RAF Volunteer Reserve.

He was posted to Canada as a flying instructor and it was two and a half years before he finally saw action, joining 605 Squadron at Manston, Kent, in August 1944. Flying Mosquito fighter-bombers, he was detailed to try to tip the wings of German doodlebugs to divert them away from devastating London.

As Germany collapsed he was based in Belgium, Holland and Germany itself before being demobbed in 1946.

His first postwar job was with the Lancashire Aircraft Corporation. In Leeds he courted and later married Valerie Glassborow, a bank manager’s daughter. He was 6ft 2in tall; she was nearly a foot shorter, vivacious and enjoyed all his jokes. They had four sons.

Well before his retirement he had discovered another love: sailing. It had started with the building of small dinghies — the first in the family dining room — that he sailed with his sons on the Thames.

In August 1976 he and his wife set sail from the Hamble in their 35ft ketch Nainjaune to cross the Atlantic. They spent Christmas in the Caribbean and then headed for the Bahamas where the following February, ten miles of the coast of the tiny island of Mayaguana, with a terrible crash they hit a reef.

The boat could not be saved and gathering a few essentials they set out for shore in their life raft. Landing on a deserted beach they made themselves comfortable for the night, dining off Scotch and ginger biscuits. The following day they found the main town.

The Mayaguana people were soon chugging out to examine the broken hull of the Nainjaune and her equipment. The Middletons were invited to visit a local family and found themselves being unabashedly served tea on crockery “borrowed” from their boat.

Returning to England, Middleton continued to sail for the next 20 years. His grandchildren recall the best of times being on the boat when they would respond to his every command by crying out irreverently “Aye, aye, Kipper”. They never tired of spreading the underside of his toast with peanut butter, which he hated but responded to with theatrical good humour.

Middleton had a boundless enthusiasm for life. As well as a keen sailor he was a photographer, writer and carpenter, making tiny tables and chairs for his grandchildren, a pirate ship for them to play on in the garden and repairing pews in his local church.

His 90th birthday party was attended by the whole family and three additional guests, including Prince William. His granddaughter Catherine visited him again on her return from Kenya where Prince William proposed to her last month.

Middleton’s wife Valerie died in 2006 and he leaves four sons and five grandchildren.

- Peter Middleton’s obituary, 27 November 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
A pity he didn't live to see the wedding.

Interesting information - it seemed that Catherine and her siblings were fairly close to him. It's a shame he couldn't meet the Cambridge children.

This is powerful stuff. Well worth a read. It’s premium but PM me for full content.

Telegraph Exclusive: James Middleton on his engagement, battling depression and finding happiness. 'I was in a dark, miserable place'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thi...leton-engagement-battling-depression-finding/

“After years of struggling with dyslexia, ADD and depression, there’s finally brightness on the horizon for the Duchess of Cambridge’s brother. The newly engaged James Middleton reveals to Bryony Gordon how much his life has changed – and how he is looking forward to settling down with his wife-to-be”

“An engagement is a happy occasion for any family, but for the Middletons, the news that their youngest child James had proposed to Alizee Thevenet, his girlfriend of a year, was particularly sweet. Just 18 months ago, the whole family – the Duchess of Cambridge included – were accompanying him to therapy sessions in an effort to untangle him from the grip of depression; now they are celebrating an event that will give hope to anyone currently in the depths of this most miserable of illnesses.”

Didn't he already do an interview with the Telegraph, amongst other papers, before about this?

Well anyway, congrats to him I suppose. On the engagement and getting the help he needed/being in a better place.

Last edited:
Didn't he already do an interview with the Telegraph, amongst other papers, before about this?

Well anyway, congrats to him I suppose. On the engagement and getting the help he needed/being in a better place.

Yes he has done interviews about suffering depression before. But not since the engagement, so I guess a new spin to it.

Also mental health week, so likely was thought a good tie to help promote talking about mental health.

i wonder how much of kate's work in mental health awareness is related to james' struggle with it. in any case, very much looking forward to the wedding.

Peter Francis Middleton was born in Leeds in 1920, the third son of Richard Middleton and Olive Lupton, a family of wealthy mill owners and solicitors.

After early tutoring at home with a governess where he developed a love of music and nature, Middleton attended Clifton College, Bristol before gaining a place at Oxford to study English. But within months of his arrival there he joined the RAF Volunteer Reserve.

He was posted to Canada as a flying instructor and it was two and a half years before he finally saw action, joining 605 Squadron at Manston, Kent, in August 1944. Flying Mosquito fighter-bombers, he was detailed to try to tip the wings of German doodlebugs to divert them away from devastating London.

As Germany collapsed he was based in Belgium, Holland and Germany itself before being demobbed in 1946.

His first postwar job was with the Lancashire Aircraft Corporation. In Leeds he courted and later married Valerie Glassborow, a bank manager’s daughter. He was 6ft 2in tall; she was nearly a foot shorter, vivacious and enjoyed all his jokes. They had four sons.

Well before his retirement he had discovered another love: sailing. It had started with the building of small dinghies — the first in the family dining room — that he sailed with his sons on the Thames.

In August 1976 he and his wife set sail from the Hamble in their 35ft ketch Nainjaune to cross the Atlantic. They spent Christmas in the Caribbean and then headed for the Bahamas where the following February, ten miles of the coast of the tiny island of Mayaguana, with a terrible crash they hit a reef.

The boat could not be saved and gathering a few essentials they set out for shore in their life raft. Landing on a deserted beach they made themselves comfortable for the night, dining off Scotch and ginger biscuits. The following day they found the main town.

The Mayaguana people were soon chugging out to examine the broken hull of the Nainjaune and her equipment. The Middletons were invited to visit a local family and found themselves being unabashedly served tea on crockery “borrowed” from their boat.

Returning to England, Middleton continued to sail for the next 20 years. His grandchildren recall the best of times being on the boat when they would respond to his every command by crying out irreverently “Aye, aye, Kipper”. They never tired of spreading the underside of his toast with peanut butter, which he hated but responded to with theatrical good humour.

Middleton had a boundless enthusiasm for life. As well as a keen sailor he was a photographer, writer and carpenter, making tiny tables and chairs for his grandchildren, a pirate ship for them to play on in the garden and repairing pews in his local church.

His 90th birthday party was attended by the whole family and three additional guests, including Prince William. His granddaughter Catherine visited him again on her return from Kenya where Prince William proposed to her last month.

Middleton’s wife Valerie died in 2006 and he leaves four sons and five grandchildren.

- Peter Middleton’s obituary, 27 November 2010.

Great to read about Middleton
At first glance, I thought this is a pic of Elvis Presley [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I am loosing it

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom