The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1901  
Old 05-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,401
The upper-classes and nobility have been marrying into the middle-class for years. The resentment against the Middletons comes from the people they 'left behind'.

Social mobility has been accepted by the nobility for a long time, its Carole's own middle-class peers that resent her success. For not knowing her place.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1902  
Old 05-09-2015, 07:13 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Indeed, sadly Carole has been cast in a negative light for quite a while now, and I think it's easy for the media to just keep her as a punching bag.

If I were to look for any reason for it, I'd say it's just an attempt to tap into social class issues. The future king married someone from the middle class, which is bound to ruffle a few feathers and perhaps cause some jealousy (either from upper-class folks, who might think Kate isn't from the right background, or from other middle-class people, who might be jealous of the Middletons family's social mobility). And, rather than casting Kate in a bad light, the place the "blame" on Carole for intentionally setting up Kate to be in a position where she could meet and marry William. It's a typical easy, lazy caricature for the media to fall back on, especially as some people like a bit of negativity. (And, yes, I realize I'm making a lot of generalizations, but only because I think that's exactly what the media is doing. I have nothing against Carole. Frankly, I really don't know much about her other than the media's spin).
I just imagine being a member of the Middleton family and having to put up with the invented press. Imagine being her brother whose beard and dog walking invite speculation (and how very uninteresting beards and dog-walking a are). Imagine being her sister who pays a huge price for her suddenly famous bum She herself wrote about how surreal that was. And I think she is smart enough to know that people who love you for your bum will hate you for everything else.

I think post wedding Carole and Mike have worked very hard to NOT be the story. I think they have been very classy. In fact, Party Pieces is not getting much press at all.
__________________

__________________
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...bob_dylan.html
Reply With Quote
  #1903  
Old 05-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: kenora, Canada
Posts: 54
According to an article I read I think it was in Hello Canada It was that kate mom is busy moving in and running the whole place like she is the queen mom Kate dad isn't very comfortable and want carole to leave the kids alone and let thme get on with there life with no help from her It sounds from the article that William and kate are afraid to tell her off .
Reply With Quote
  #1904  
Old 05-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The upper-classes and nobility have been marrying into the middle-class for years. The resentment against the Middletons comes from the people they 'left behind'.

Social mobility has been accepted by the nobility for a long time, its Carole's own middle-class peers that resent her success. For not knowing her place.
The Middleton's good fortune is what us Americans call The American Dream!
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #1905  
Old 05-09-2015, 08:08 PM
CrownPrincessJava's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ,, Australia
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjan View Post
According to an article I read I think it was in Hello Canada It was that kate mom is busy moving in and running the whole place like she is the queen mom Kate dad isn't very comfortable and want carole to leave the kids alone and let thme get on with there life with no help from her It sounds from the article that William and kate are afraid to tell her off .
I wouldn't believe whatever is coming out of the gossip mags. If Carole was overstepping the mark, Kate and William would tell her so. They aren't young impressionable teenagers, they are in their 30's. The only reason why the mags are making up these stories is because the Middleton's are protecting their own. They provide William and Kate with support, stability and love.

Also, anyone believing Carole orchestrated Kate to marry William needs their head read!
Reply With Quote
  #1906  
Old 05-09-2015, 08:43 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Middleton's good fortune is what us Americans call The American Dream!
Thats one of the reasons I don't like how Carole is treated And I wonder if its just a culture clash on my part. In America the Middleton's would be admired and someone to emulate; but in England there appears to be this idea that she doesn't know her place and if you are born middle class you stay there. I am not trying to criticize England and I don't know if this is thr majority or a very vocal minority who portrays this image. All I see is a very beautiful hard working woman with a good marriage and 3 well adjusted kids who all seem to love her.
On top of how Carole is painted, in documentaries and specials on Kate they always talk about her maternal ancestry and rarely discuss her paternal ancestry, continuously wanting to paint her as some working class girl descended from coal miners and ignoring she is also descended from lawyers and businessmen.
I have no idea if it's aristocrats who hate the Middleton's or fellow middle class folk like the rest of us. There are not many documentaries or books I can find on Mette Marit, Mary, Daniel or even Queen Silvia....so I don't know if other middle class royal partners have been treated the same way as Kate and her family.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #1907  
Old 05-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Thats one of the reasons I don't like how Carole is treated And I wonder if its just a culture clash on my part. In America the Middleton's would be admired and someone to emulate; but in England there appears to be this idea that she doesn't know her place and if you are born middle class you stay there. I am not trying to criticize England and I don't know if this is thr majority or a very vocal minority who portrays this image. All I see is a very beautiful hard working woman with a good marriage and 3 well adjusted kids who all seem to love her.
On top of how Carole is painted, in documentaries and specials on Kate they always talk about her maternal ancestry and rarely discuss her paternal ancestry, continuously wanting to paint her as some working class girl descended from coal miners and ignoring she is also descended from lawyers and businessmen.
I have no idea if it's aristocrats who hate the Middleton's or fellow middle class folk like the rest of us. There are not many documentaries or books I can find on Mette Marit, Mary, Daniel or even Queen Silvia....so I don't know if other middle class royal partners have been treated the same way as Kate and her family.
Yes, social class and particularly social class mobility are certainly, on the whole, perceived differently in the UK than in the US (though, in both countries, it's an ever-evolving issue and is perceived differently by different people). I will say, though, that I think the media really stokes a lot of the class issues in the UK, because when I lived there, it wasn't really something that came up that often among people I actually knew (but I was at university, so maybe it just wasn't at the forefront of people's minds). It's when I'm reading articles in the press that I most note the way class is handled differently in the UK. That's just my experience, though.
Reply With Quote
  #1908  
Old 05-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,302
My daughter did her "junior year abroad" when she was in University in the late 80s. She did it at an unnamed English University. At that time she was very much struck by the class issues. They were very much an issue among the students that she knew at that time. I think the newspapers have continued to use the class issues to sell papers. There will always be people who are not as successful as others and papers like the Daily Fail seem to cultivate the negative feelings that can go along with that. I also think historically political parties in the UK have played up the issue to their own advantage. Pure and simple it sells papers to keep people stirred up and also gets some politicians votes.

I recall early on that Carole Middleton was quoted (supposedly) as saying that she realized that she was the "weak link." I recall feeling so very sorry that she felt that way.
Reply With Quote
  #1909  
Old 05-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
My daughter did her "junior year abroad" when she was in University in the late 80s. She did it at an unnamed English University. At that time she was very much struck by the class issues. They were very much an issue among the students that she knew at that time. I think the newspapers have continued to use the class issues to sell papers. There will always be people who are not as successful as others and papers like the Daily Fail seem to cultivate the negative feelings that can go along with that. I also think historically political parties in the UK have played up the issue to their own advantage. Pure and simple it sells papers to keep people stirred up and also gets some politicians votes.

I recall early on that Carole Middleton was quoted (supposedly) as saying that she realized that she was the "weak link." I recall feeling so very sorry that she felt that way.
What you say makes a lot of sense to me. My time spent living in the UK was within the past few years and, as I said, class issues didn't really come up (which was interesting, because the student body at the English university I attended was much more socio-economically diverse than the university I attended in the US). However, I'm certainly under the impression that that's been something that's evolving in the UK, because there seems to be more acceptance of upward mobility now than there used to be. But yes, definitely I think the papers try to keep things divisive, and politics plays a role in that too (in large part because many of the UK papers - and especially the tabloids, which have the highest circulation among papers in Britain - are extremely, unabashedly partisan.) I don't find it totally surprising that class gets discussed in terms of the royals; in fact, that's where I'd expect to hear it the most. But certainly it's interesting to see how it manifests itself in politics, etc., and for me that's when I've noticed cultural divisions the most.
Reply With Quote
  #1910  
Old 05-15-2015, 11:28 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 998
Two bi-monthly upmarket magazines - with a combined circulation of around two hundred thousand - will now be having contributions from Mrs Middleton.

Luxury magazines "Baby London" and "Little London" will feature articles written, without a fee, by Carole, who will be giving party-planning tips.

The first article, about having an outdoor party, has already been published and is in the current issue of "Little London".
Reply With Quote
  #1911  
Old 05-16-2015, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,209
So Carole has decided to offer her expertise in two magazines. Why? It wouldn't have anything to do with indirectly promoting Party Pieces, would it? This leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth, quite frankly, and I don't care whether she's being paid or not.
Reply With Quote
  #1912  
Old 05-16-2015, 01:29 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
I don't see the harm with her writing articles about party planning. It is her business. Plus, why shouldn't she be allowed to promote Party Pieces?
Reply With Quote
  #1913  
Old 05-16-2015, 01:42 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
So Carole has decided to offer her expertise in two magazines. Why? It wouldn't have anything to do with indirectly promoting Party Pieces, would it? This leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth, quite frankly, and I don't care whether she's being paid or not.

Why? She owns a business and has been pretty careful about how she promotes it. Should she be barred from the kind of legal business promotion that others do simply because of who her daughter married?

I guarantee the articles will be incredibly innocuous.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #1914  
Old 05-16-2015, 01:46 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,209
Because pushing family commercial interests (selling party equipment etc) reflects on the Cambridges. It would be a bit like Diana's father Earl Spencer writing regular columns in a popular travel magazine about Althorp and its attractions, in an effort to bring in tourist dollars in the 1980's. I can just imagine Charles's reaction.
Reply With Quote
  #1915  
Old 05-16-2015, 01:48 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Because pushing family commercial interests (selling party equipment etc) reflects on the Cambridges. It would be a bit like Diana's father Earl Spencer writing regular columns in a popular travel magazine about Althorp and its attractions, in an effort to bring in tourist dollars. I can just imagine Charles's reaction.
Um, except that Earl Spencer was a man of massive inherited wealth, not the proprietor of a successful commercial business interest.

This is how they make their living. It's their family business. Should they let their business fade away and not market it or promote it, simply because their daughter married into the royal family? What's their alternative?

There's no winning there. If they stopped running their business and depended on the royal family to support them, the press would be brutal.

What do you suggest these people do to support themselves financially that offends no one?
Reply With Quote
  #1916  
Old 05-16-2015, 01:56 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 628
The Middletons have come in for some rough and unfair treatment over the last few years and I do think a lot of it is class related, (as well as more than a little plain old envy).

A member of the last generation of royal in laws stood up and publicly insulted his nephews' family AT THEIR MOTHER'S FUNERAL! So I guess the argument could be made there was nowhere to go but up, but IMO The Queen probably thanks god every day her grandson married into a stable family that worked hard and produced well brought up, non histrionic children. Even Uncle Gary must seem pretty harmless!
Reply With Quote
  #1917  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:00 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Because pushing family commercial interests (selling party equipment etc) reflects on the Cambridges. It would be a bit like Diana's father Earl Spencer writing regular columns in a popular travel magazine about Althorp and its attractions, in an effort to bring in tourist dollars in the 1980's. I can just imagine Charles's reaction.
I doubt Prince Charles will care. After all, he's selling royal baby items (cups and plates) on the Highgrove website. Not to mention, quite a few of his relatives have written books, or appeared on tv to promote their businesses. So taking the Middletons to task would be a bit hypocritical of him.
Reply With Quote
  #1918  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:02 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
The Middletons have come in for some rough and unfair treatment over the last few years and I do think a lot of it is class related, (as well as more than a little plain old envy).

A member of the last generation of royal in laws stood up and publicly insulted his nephews' family AT THEIR MOTHER'S FUNERAL! So I guess the argument could be made there was nowhere to go but up, but IMO The Queen probably thanks god every day her grandson married into a stable family that worked hard and produced well brought up, non histrionic children. Even Uncle Gary must seem pretty harmless!
Completely... especially when you factor in Barbara Cartland and Raine Spencer. There have long been people around the royal family with far more questionable taste than the Middletons, who have been incredibly discreet and have managed to avoid putting a foot wrong. They can't win over everyone- but they don't seem to need to. They stay discreet, they run their business, and they enjoy their family.
Reply With Quote
  #1919  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:07 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,209
Writing articles in two magazines is hardly being discreet!

Plus, there are a lot of peers who inherited massive wealth who still promote their stately homes. Earl Spencer didn't.
Reply With Quote
  #1920  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:16 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Writing articles in two magazines is hardly being discreet!

Plus, there are a lot of peers who inherited massive wealth who still promote their stately homes. Earl Spencer didn't.
Earl Spencer didn't have to! He was born into a life of massive inherited wealth and had little to no obligation to support himself and his family- it was taken care of for him. Even still, he and his second wife controversially sold off a lot of family treasures to fund a restoration of Althorp that was not well received. There was bad press about it at the time, you can read about it. (And the current Earl has done a LOT of promotion based on his late sister.)

Carole's writing topical articles about her business for relevant publications. She's not sharing royal family gossip. You're making a mountain out of a molehill, and it's coming off as fairly classist.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#jewels albania ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king abdullah ii in new york 2016 king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction mette-marit monarchy nepal new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathilde fashion queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania religion royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises