The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

The Daily Mail Royal Reporter - Rebecca English - was complaining earlier (in a v sarcastic way) about James being interviewed in the US. Tweeted some stuff about DM never doing "fluff" interviews. (Took me 15 minutes to recover)

Here is the reason why DM wont get an interview - they are reaping what they have sown - yrs of putting down Carole Middleton and being rude about the family.

http://t.co/DLlUJnq9hw

Front page from twitter - cant give you any more cos I dont click onto the site.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

^ Yep. That's exactly why they won't give them an interview. I saw that tweet from Rebecca English and had to roll my eyes. When William and Kate were dating, the DM wrote quite a few articles accusing the Middletons of being social climbers. I also recall the name Waity Kate being used by a DM reporter. They spent years putting down the Middleton family and now they honestly expect an interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
To be fair, whenever any other family members speak about their Royal relations they get criticized as well. Wasn't it just a few months ago where Camilla's daughter-in-law was being criticized for daring to answer a question about Kate? I've even seen Peter and Zara criticized for doing so.

Personally, I think it's one thing when a relative answers a question in an interview - particularly when they stick to a general or vague response and don't really violate anyone's privacy - and another thing when they write a book or build a museum for them. What James did here was completely acceptable, especially in comparison to what other relatives have done (coughCharlesSpencercough).
Besides Charles Spencer, Princess Michael (who got quite a bit of grief over her comments about Diana) and Peter and Autumn (their wedding photos), none of the other family members have gotten much criticism.

I took a look through Laura and Tom's thread and the only criticism Laura seemed to get for that interview, was when someone thought she was sharing a private conversation that she had with Kate. Other than that, no one cared that she talked about her famous family. Same with Tom. He recently did an interview where he discussed how he felt when his mother's affair came out, and not a peep. That goes for the others as well - Zara, Mike, the Queen's cousins. They have all done tons of interviews about their family, yet I rarely hear comments about them needing to stop talking about them.

Meanwhile, the Middleton's can't be seen out in public (or even sell products for their business), without someone accusing them of being social climbers that are cashing in on Kate's fame.

I completely agree with you about James. He did totally fine in this interview and in the way he handled the questions about Kate and George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Great post - you can add Tom Parker Bowles, Mark Philips, Peter Philips, Zara Philips. They accept interviews because they have a living to make. They handle the questions well, and dont give anything away. Same as Pippa and James.
So true. I completely forgot about them.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
^
Besides Charles Spencer, Princess Michael (who got quite a bit of grief over her comments about Diana) and Peter and Autumn (their wedding photos), none of the other family members have gotten much criticism.

I took a look through Laura and Tom's thread and the only criticism Laura seemed to get for that interview, was when someone thought she was sharing a private conversation that she had with Kate. Other than that, no one cared that she talked about her famous family. Same with Tom. He recently did an interview where he discussed how he felt when his mother's affair came out, and not a peep. That goes for the others as well - Zara, Mike, the Queen's cousins. They have all done tons of interviews about their family, yet I rarely hear comments about them needing to stop talking about them.

Meanwhile, the Middleton's can't be seen out in public (or even sell products for their business), without someone accusing them of being social climbers that are cashing in on Kate's fame.

I completely agree with you about James. He did totally fine in this interview and in the way he handled the questions about Kate and George.
I agree that the accusations against the Middletons are the worst (at least as far as the BRF goes; I think a few of the unmarried partners of some of the Continental Royals/royal relations get about as much flack) as there is no way the family can go right. I do think that the siblings have used their royal connections rather wisely; to say that Pippa and James haven't benefited from Kate's celebrity would be a lie, but it seems more like they're putting themselves in a way that it's "hey, the Duchess of Cambridge's sibling did this", bringing attention to the "this" but in the end it's made to stand or fall on it's own. This isn't all that dissimilar from how the Phillips seem to operate sometime, or the Linelys, or a number of people related to the Continental Royals.

I'm going by memory here, so I could be wrong, but I feel like there has been more criticism of the Phillips and Bowes-Lyons set, just to name a few. Peter was criticized for selling his wedding photos, and he's done interviews where he'll answer a question about his grandparents or mother only to be criticized (I remember one happening around the Jubilee). Likewise, Zara was criticized for selling the pictures of Mia. Tom hasn't been criticized for his recent articles on his relationship with Camilla which I find odd (he's being a lot more public than royal relations are), but Sara was criticized a lot when she said that she and Kate had discussed clothes in the past. I also remember Lady Pamela Hicks being ripped apart when she answered a question about Diana in an interview promoting her memoirs.

The Middleton attack is always worse because it doesn't matter if they answer the questions about Kate or not, they're going to get attacked simply for daring to be in public - which is absurd. Their are also people we seem to "forgive" for blatantly benefiting from their connections - Tom comes to mind - and people we don't, and people who can get away with less blatantly benefiting - Peter and Zara - and people who can't - James and Pippa. The Middletons have it the worse by far (as far as the BRF goes), but they're not completely alone in being criticized. And if you look at the Continent... The Casiraghis aren't criticized for how they benefit from their royal connections, but Gad is constantly attacked for any perceived slight, similar to the Middleton experience. Sofia Helqvist is seen as using CP for his fame, and well Inaki... It certainly seems like he tried to use his royal connections as best as he could.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Well IMO people have defended them as being not in the spotlight and being very discreet but I daresay that Pippa and James like it... , (both parents have been discreet and avoided tv shows though). They are promoting thei business.... Also it seems people can't avoid comaprisons can they? It's just I don't like the recent fuss and tv appeareances...
Old 11-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I think with the Middletons its just out and out snobbery. That they somehow don't know their place.
America celebrates families like the Middletons but certain sections of British society still have issues.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Kate The Making of a Princess, Claudia Joseph wrote:

Kate's great-grandfather Frederick Glassborow was conscripted into the Royal Navy as an ordinary seaman on August 12, 1914 and attached to Benbow battalion ten days later. The battalion formed part of the first Royal Naval Brigade in the Royal Naval Division, known as 'Winston's Little Army'.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Yes, there are a lot of snarky remarks made by some in regards to the Middleton family and range from "using royal connections to plug their business" to "being common and aiming to climb the social ladder" to denigrating work/employment done years past.

It occurs to me though that it is the media, themselves, that are pursuing these people. I highly doubt Pippa calls up The Daily Mail and lets them know her personal diary for the next month or that James purposely walks his dog near where a reporter has been sighted hanging out or even Carole offering her Grandma's Brag Book to Hello! for an exclusive in exchange for ads for Party Pieces.

Ordinary people with ordinary lives are fascinated by the Middletons and, lets face it, the negative sells.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Courtier

Catherine name drops her siblings during walkabouts. At one engagement she said her brother studies the art of tea making. At another she said her sister runs marathons, and that she was nicknamed Squeak to Pippa's Pip. If she can tell charming anecdotes during her work it's only fair that they can do the same.

I don't have a problem with harmless, flowery fluff. The Middleton siblings just need to be cautious not to become like Earl Spencer and Margaret Rhodes. It's a slippery slope and Tom Parker-Bowles is already losing his footing.

On a separate note, it's hilarious that The Daily Mail is bitter about being spurned by the Middletons. Who knew that if you fabricate malicious lies about somebody as part of a decade long hate campaign, that your victim will end up avoiding you. Those pesky Middletons need to learn to love their abusers. Basic human respect is for wimps.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Middletons jet off to Mustique to celebrate Carole's 60th birthday at £10,000-a-week villa with Kate, William and Prince George-
Middletons to celebrate Carole's 60th with Kate, William and Prince George | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Middletons jet off to Mustique to celebrate Carole's 60th birthday at £10,000-a-week villa with Kate, William and Prince George-
Middletons to celebrate Carole's 60th with Kate, William and Prince George | Daily Mail Online

They seem to be taking so much luggage - even if they are there for two weeks, not just one.

I had one case and one backpack for two seasons in Europe last year - from a summer evening gown, evening bag and shoes to metal attachments to tackle hiking in snow - and my backpack was just medication!

Thirteen countries, three plus months travel, mostly on public transport - perhaps I should send them some packing tips.

Mrs Middleton looks good in her trendy gear - you can look smart in anything if you have a good figure.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

You're right. That's a helluva lot of luggage for two adults for a week or so for a beach holiday with family on an island. What have they got in there?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Commoner

Maybe they were bringing their grandson's favourite big toys.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

Mrs Middleton looks good in her trendy gear - you can look smart in anything if you have a good figure.
Absolutely!
I tend to think well of Carole; she's kept her figure, and most of her looks.
I find that admirable.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:31 AM
Royal Highness

I too thought it was too much luggage.

The luggage Carole was pulling was enough for 2 for 2 weeks.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm, regarding the luggage it all looks about right to me. For a week's holiday, an individual needs a case for clothes, one for shoes, and a holdall for toiletries, lap-top cables, camera, books etc. If a formal event is included, add a suit carrier. That's three to four pieces of luggage to check in, leaving hands free for the duty free!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
They seem to be taking so much luggage - even if they are there for two weeks, not just one.

I had one case and one backpack for two seasons in Europe last year - from a summer evening gown, evening bag and shoes to metal attachments to tackle hiking in snow - and my backpack was just medication!

Thirteen countries, three plus months travel, mostly on public transport - perhaps I should send them some packing tips.

I am quite amused that we seem to be running out of things to criticise the Middletons for, so we are now picking on the amount of (their own) luggage they take when they do on holiday.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Royal Highness

I wasn't criticizing just commenting on the amount of luggage.

I have traveled for several weeks with only a carry-on.

The carry-on held everything including a hair dry, an iron, clothes for both winter and summer with extra shoes so seeing that much for a few weeks in the sun seems like a lot.

My luggage also contained soap, dry detergent and a full bottle of shampoo. This was in the days when you can travel with liquids.

I still use this carry-on and I always carried a full size cloth carry-on folded inside.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am quite amused that we seem to be running out of things to criticise the Middletons for, so we are now picking on the amount of (their own) luggage they take when they do on holiday.
Exactly

One would assume that they are paying for their extra bags, they aren't rolling around in fancy, expensive luggage [which I assume they can afford since] nor are they too good to pull their own luggage [and not engaging the use of a porter]. Wait a minute...I think I found something...how dare they not use a porter....someone at Gatwick is not getting a tip because they decided to carry their own bags. Did you read the comments in the Daily Mail....just when you thought the comments couldn't get any worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I wasn't criticizing just commenting on the amount of luggage.

I have traveled for several weeks with only a carry on.

The carry on held everything including a hair dry, an iron, clothes for both winter and summer with extra shoes so seeing that much for a few weeks in the sun seems like a lot.
You sound like one of my best friends....she recruits for a university..so she is used to traveling...and can do a lot with one suitcase. If Carole is anything like me..or how I used to be...than she has over packed. Better to be prepared while on vacation than not to have a specific item. Now after being friends with my friend...I have tailored back my packing....its not as bad...but it could be better.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

My husband and I travel about 26 weeks a year (we go home between trips). We carry about as much luggage as the Middletons do, because of my husband's business.

One suitcase holds a printer, a fax machine, cables, converters, adapters, printer paper, files, etc., plus his watercolor kit and easel and two pillows! We carry three computers and a Kindle in our carry-ons. We need casual clothes, evening clothes, and semi-dressy clothing for various occasions, and of course, shoes, hiking boots, etc.

There is no particular virtue in traveling light, although it would be easier- but we wouldn't have the things we need. I would imagine that the Middletons need to be able to conduct business while they are away.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Something that's occurred to me is that perhaps with the Middletons making this trip to Mustique yearly, they have a time share type plan for the villa that they stay at. It very well could be possible that when they go there, they supply their own linens and towels. I've heard of this happening. It very well could add on to the baggage they took with them.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth