The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1781  
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
All I can say is that after this "episode" and whining to the DM, I think Joanne has probably distanced herself further than ever from the Middletons.
It's a good thing.
__________________

__________________
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...bob_dylan.html
Reply With Quote
  #1782  
Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,476
The discussion about marriage to commoners has been moved to the - ah - Marriage to Commoners thread in the General Royal Discussion area.
__________________

__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #1783  
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,217
As none of you were prepared to consider one side I don't see what listening to both is going to do. You're all unswervingly on Carole and the Middletons' side. Fine, so be it. Thanks to all for your understanding and kindness to a newbie on this forum, by the way! I so appreciated being leaped on! Out of here, now.
Reply With Quote
  #1784  
Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 177
In my opinion it was lovely of the Middletons to invite so many of Catherine's extended family to the wedding.
To invite Gary, particularly, after his involvement with drugs; was decent and showed a true regard for family ties regardless of how often they caught up with each other.
It is usual for families to drift apart as the generations get older - the fact that Carole still spoke fondly to her Aunt and wished to have them meet George (though it didn't work out) also says to me that her heart was in the right place and that one day it might have transpired.
Joanne, as soon as I started to read her article, seemed to be immature in the way she expressed her view of her family relationships.
It is her view and she is entitled to have her view. I was not impressed by her manner nor her view, however. She always risked being commented on - by airing her grievances publicly she knew that her account would be critiqued. I have no pity for her in that regard, except that she might have been duped into selling her reputation within the family by the Daily Mail's payment.
I gave her opinion due respect but, on reflection, judged her to be needy of public attention and perhaps money.
Curryong, I read your opinion with respect too. You had an interesting perspective, however, I disagree with you. I don't find that the story reflects badly on Carole Middleton.
I agree with you that Joanne's grandparents would be disappointed not to meet George. The Daily Mail might have taken Joanne's words out of context - now there's a possibility. Maybe the disappointment was all she expressed and the story was exaggerated around that???
I hope you post again.
I predict that the Middletons, being the well mannered people that they are, won't hold Joanne's words against her or her grandparents.
Reply With Quote
  #1785  
Old 09-06-2014, 01:28 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
I am so sick of this view that the Middleton's are social climbers despite all evidence to the contrary. I have seen no real evidence that the Middleton's have forgotten where they came from, didn't they even invite their neighbors to the wedding. And the insistence of Uncle Gary being there shows familyoyalty. This person imo sounds like a nobody who feels entitled because she knows somebody famous. I can only name one child of all my cousins and I dont feel entitled or a need to be introduced to them. This Joann isn't entitled to meet George, the only elderly relatives who usually travel to meet a new family member are grandparents and the aunts, not a 2nd cousin or a great great uncle.
What has Carole Middleton done that is so bad that the Di-ly Mail feels the need to continously bash her? Is it because she was born working class and didn't have the "decency" to stay there?
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #1786  
Old 09-06-2014, 02:46 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I am so sick of this view that the Middleton's are social climbers despite all evidence to the contrary. I have seen no real evidence that the Middleton's have forgotten where they came from, didn't they even invite their neighbors to the wedding. And the insistence of Uncle Gary being there shows familyoyalty. This person imo sounds like a nobody who feels entitled because she knows somebody famous. I can only name one child of all my cousins and I dont feel entitled or a need to be introduced to them. This Joann isn't entitled to meet George, the only elderly relatives who usually travel to meet a new family member are grandparents and the aunts, not a 2nd cousin or a great great uncle.
What has Carole Middleton done that is so bad that the Di-ly Mail feels the need to continously bash her? Is it because she was born working class and didn't have the "decency" to stay there?
got it in one. The DM used to criticise Catherine (led by a particularly nasty journo) but then she got married so now they've moved on to Carole.

I think she and Mike have been exemplary in staying low key. I think they are great.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1787  
Old 09-06-2014, 06:13 PM
PrincessOfPeace's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: York, United Kingdom
Posts: 180
Hi everyone, My first post. I really admire our BRF and William and Catherine. Anyway this is an old article and not sure if its been posted but its a fun read
Quote:
In a house in the village of Bucklebury, Berkshire, the future king lies – with any luck – sleeping. The fact that Prince George of Cambridge will spend the first few weeks of his life not in a palace or castle but in an ordinary family’s home is revolutionary, but then everything about the Middleton family is game-changing.

His mother’s official name may be Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus. But this is to belie the fact that not since the relatively humble Elizabeth Woodville married Edward IV, sowing the seeds of the Wars of the Roses, has the Royal family received such a jolt to the bloodline.

The Middletons are the first family without a title to be grandparents of a future sovereign since 1028, when an anonymous French washerwoman gave birth to William the Conqueror. Queen Elizabeth, née Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, and Diana, Princess of Wales, née Lady Spencer, were considered commoners because their fathers were mere earls. But the Duchess of Cambridge is the real deal: the daughter of two former airline stewards, scion of miners, clerks and shop assistants.

Genealogical point-scoring aside, what’s fascinating about the (now) resolutely upper-middle-class Home Counties Middletons are the values they will contribute to the aristocratic Windsor gene pool.
Why we should all be grateful the Middletons - Telegraph
Reply With Quote
  #1788  
Old 09-07-2014, 12:57 AM
PrincessOfPeace's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: York, United Kingdom
Posts: 180
Here is the reason Mike is ignored by the gutter press. Public schooling

Quote:
Mike Middleton comes from a line of wealthy Yorkshire wool merchants, whose trust fund enabled him to send his three children to public school. His grandfather was a solicitor, his father a pilot. All three generations boarded at Clifton College in Bristol.
Carole is a 'social climber' whilst Mike has been solidly middle class his entire life although resolutely upper-middle-class in his later years,
Reply With Quote
  #1789  
Old 09-07-2014, 05:29 AM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,209
I suppose Carole is a "social climber" but then you could say the same about a lot of people.

Sophie's parents worked more than usual to allow her and her brother to go to private schools, though at least Christopher and Mary worked harder, whereas Mike relied on his "trust fund"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
got it in one. The DM used to criticise Catherine (led by a particularly nasty journo) but then she got married so now they've moved on to Carole.

I think she and Mike have been exemplary in staying low key. I think they are great.

I wouldn't say they have been exemplary in their ability to stay low key. They attend pretty much (I say they but mainly Carole) anything they can to get press. I know people will argue they aren't and defend them but from a press point of view, they rock up to lots of things they would not have been going to if their daughter hadn't married an HRH. To stay low key they need to not be seen except when necessary. Do we ever see Tim's family attending Wimbledon? Attending lots of functions? We only see Christopher Rhys-Jones at Ascot and he was at the Coronation Festival in July 2013 with many other family members because he was invited. He also attended the Queen's 80th birthday service at St George's but he was invited. I have no issue with the Middleton's attending family things like this as they are often invited (they were there during the Thames Pageant, as was Christopher but he wasn't photographed.)

My point is they are clearly milking their daughter's fame. I am not saying it is 100% their fault; the press have a lot to do with it because they know that photo's of the Middleton's attending things sells photos, thus it sells papers. The family, however, could do with not being seen to use their daughter's status to get more money for their own company. (Pippa does this to the finest degree.)
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #1790  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:20 AM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 381
If Tim or Sophie's families attend high-profile events no-one notices because, frankly, no-one cares. I'm sure they do attend parties and sporting events etc. but as no-one gives a you-know-what about them, no photographer bothers to take their picture.

Should Mike and Carole not attend Wimbledon? Surely they have the right to watch a sport that they enjoy. Should they have no social life? Should they stay at home 24/7 just because someone might take their picture? Should they not attend Ascot even though the Queen invites them to not only attend, but ride in the carriage procession with her?

The idea that the Middletons should be accused of 'milking' their royal connections is laughable when Sophie herself was caught red handed trading her royal connections for financial gain.

If the Middletons really were milking their royal connections, they would never have been invited to Ascot or the Diamond Jubilee celebrations by the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #1791  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,079
The behaviour and conduct of the [core] Middleton family has been exemplary IMO...
Reply With Quote
  #1792  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,359
The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background

I don't even know what Pippa does other than the articles for Waitrose and VF so she is doing a bad job of milking her sister's fame for cash gains. Where is the cushy Today show job like Charles Spencer, Jenna Bush and Chelsea Clinton ?

The press doesn't go after Mike because they can't find anything bad about him and it appears that he is just a super nice guy. Plus the pushy Puppetmaster Carole story is much juicer as she climbs out of the council house background to hob nob with the upper class as she teaches her daughter to ensnare the future King. Once ensnared, Carole will now capitalize on various royal events such as George's birthday by selling birthday items. It all part of the plan..... Insert evil laugh .... That's at least how it comes off in certain papers ... Cough : Daily Mail: Cough

They make the press because there an attractive family. Sophie's elderly father isn't front page material. If she had a hot 30 yr sister, she would have gotten similar treatment as Pippa does.




Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #1793  
Old 09-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
If Tim or Sophie's families attend high-profile events no-one notices because, frankly, no-one cares. I'm sure they do attend parties and sporting events etc. but as no-one gives a you-know-what about them, no photographer bothers to take their picture.

Should Mike and Carole not attend Wimbledon? Surely they have the right to watch a sport that they enjoy. Should they have no social life? Should they stay at home 24/7 just because someone might take their picture? Should they not attend Ascot even though the Queen invites them to not only attend, but ride in the carriage procession with her?

The idea that the Middletons should be accused of 'milking' their royal connections is laughable when Sophie herself was caught red handed trading her royal connections for financial gain.

If the Middletons really were milking their royal connections, they would never have been invited to Ascot or the Diamond Jubilee celebrations by the Queen.
I agree that no one cares about Sophie or Tim's families but that is because they never made the effort to push themselves into the limelight. There is no reason why Sophie's parents were not more popular - she married the son of the Queen and she was the first "common commoner" to marry an HRH. Her parents, however, did not do interviews with people, they did not attend things they would have been invited to because they wanted to remain private. Kate's family however spun their daughter's fame into fame for themselves. Of course the Middleton's are much more famous because William will be King eventually, but they could have chose to not become "celebrities" and hide themselves better, however they chose not to.

As I said before it'snot 100% their fault - but they don't do a good job of keeping themselves low. It's just my opinion, others will of course disagree. Media is much more powerful than it was 20 years ago of course, but it doesn't mean people can't hide from them.
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #1794  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,359
When have Mike and Carole done any interviews? The brief statement when WK got engaged and then at the hospital visiting George were the only time we ever heard their voices. Earl Spencer did similar things when Diana got engaged and William was born.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #1795  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,695
I think that the only one who "stays" in the spotlight is Pippa...
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #1796  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 AM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I agree that no one cares about Sophie or Tim's families but that is because they never made the effort to push themselves into the limelight.
No, no-one cares about Sophie or Tim's families because neither married the heir to the throne. Neither were going to have children who would be monarch one day. Neither married in enormous, worldwide weddings that became media sensations.

Whether William married the daughter of a Duke or the daughter of a dustman, that woman's family would be massively covered by the media. You seem to think that the Middletons basically shouldn't leave their home. The only way they can ensure they won't be photographed is to never leave the confines of their house. That's just not realistic.

The parents of all the other women who married heirs to the throne attend different events that they may not have been invited to otherwise, but they're not accused of 'milking' their connections. That seems to be something only the Middletons get accused of.
Reply With Quote
  #1797  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,331
I don't think the Middleton parent's have made an effort to be seen in the limelight.

Yes you might see them at Wimbledon but that is because of an interest in tennis that they have seemed to pass on to both of their daughters. They are at Ascot (and in the procession) not because of who their daughter married but because of they are partners in a racing syndicate that they bought in 2006! Long before their daughter married into the BRF. Hasn't Sophie's father ridden in the Ascot procession a couple of times? Is he a part of a syndicate or is it because of his daughter's relation ship with the BRF?

They were invited to the Jubilee celebration but so were lots of different people (as was Sophie's brother and sister in law if I recall correctly.

You see them at weddings but they were invited and really, it looks as if the press is crashing the party and not them. Or when Carole is out shopping but other than that?

So how are they seeking publicity again? I don't see it.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #1798  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Miss Hathaway's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In the South, United States
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
No, no-one cares about Sophie or Tim's families because neither married the heir to the throne. Neither were going to have children who would be monarch one day. Neither married in enormous, worldwide weddings that became media sensations.

Whether William married the daughter of a Duke or the daughter of a dustman, that woman's family would be massively covered by the media. You seem to think that the Middletons basically shouldn't leave their home. The only way they can ensure they won't be photographed is to never leave the confines of their house. That's just not realistic.

The parents of all the other women who married heirs to the throne attend different events that they may not have been invited to otherwise, but they're not accused of 'milking' their connections. That seems to be something only the Middletons get accused of.
I agree. Sophie's family doesn't get attention because, shoot, no one even remembers that Edward exists. How many articles do you read where Sophie is identified as the wife of Prince Andrew?
Reply With Quote
  #1799  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,209
Ok, I stand corrected by all your replies. =]
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #1800  
Old 09-07-2014, 11:02 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
If Tim or Sophie's families attend high-profile events no-one notices because, frankly, no-one cares. I'm sure they do attend parties and sporting events etc. but as no-one gives a you-know-what about them, no photographer bothers to take their picture.

Should Mike and Carole not attend Wimbledon? Surely they have the right to watch a sport that they enjoy. Should they have no social life? Should they stay at home 24/7 just because someone might take their picture? Should they not attend Ascot even though the Queen invites them to not only attend, but ride in the carriage procession with her?

The idea that the Middletons should be accused of 'milking' their royal connections is laughable when Sophie herself was caught red handed trading her royal connections for financial gain.

If the Middletons really were milking their royal connections, they would never have been invited to Ascot or the Diamond Jubilee celebrations by the Queen.
True this. If this is how we define "milking a relationship" then the only way to not milk it is to avoid a life where others might want to be milking you while at the same time not appearing at public events with anyone in the relationship. Silly.

The only view we are going to get of Carole these days is the one the tabloids want us to see. IMHO.
__________________

__________________
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...bob_dylan.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail farah diba fashion and style fashion poll grand duke jean greece infanta elena jewels kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week power prince bernhard prince charles princess charlotte of cambridge princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises