The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Nobility

To me this is nothing more than the normal evolution of families. When Carole's mother was alive it would be normal for her mother to spend time with her sister and for the families of their children to join them. It doesn't sound like they have been particularly close since Carole's mother died.
When I was young I often saw extended family. As the senior closely related members died I simply stopped seeing my once/twice removed cousins because my connection to them was based on social occasions which stopped when my grandparents died. I'm not snubbing these cousins or my aunt, nor they me - we simply don't have enough common interests or similar enough lifestyles to maintain a relationship or to continue to get together. The extended family gatherings at this point are myself and my siblings and our children who are cousins to each other.
In Carole's case, avoiding this young lady is obviously a wise move, IMO. In fact, after this, I doubt she'll even be invited to James or Pippa's wedding.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Aristocracy

It was only one of the family, Joanna, a second cousin of Carole's, who went to the Press. The others have never complained to anyone.

Dorothy Goldsmith, Carole's mother, died in 2006. That doesn't explain the car that never came for elderly relatives to see George in 2013, which Carole promised to send, or the shared Christmases after Dorothy's death, which now no longer happen.

Nor apparently the huge volume of work which suddenly descended on Carole, preventing her from meeting relatives, post the Royal wedding and lasting until now, where previously it wasn't a problem.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Serene Highness

The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background

The article doesn't say that they had shared Christmases after Dorothy's death only when Carole and Joanna's mum were younger.

When George was first born, you want to limit his exposure to people because a baby's immune system isn't that built up. Philip didn't even meet George until they took him up to Scotland when he was a couple months old because he was recuperating from his illness when George was born and didn't come with the Queen to KP the day after George came home. Last Christmas, the Cambridges were at Sandringham not with the Middletons.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Aristocracy

Why promise elderly people you would send a car for them, then, in order for them to see him? I'm sorry, but it appears to me that Carole Middleton took after her mother Dorothy in social-climbing proclivities, and is busy moving away from more lowly-born relatives at a rate which has accelerated since the wedding.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 AM
Serene Highness

George was with his parents at KP in the weeks leading to Christmas. Carole in Berkshire isn't going to know Kate and George 's day to day schedule. Their plans could have changed or George could have gotten a cold. We know from their comments on tour that George was pretty fussy for the first 6 months or so.

Plus this women can say whatever she wants to say because we know that Carole isn't going to talk to the press. Even Uncle Gary on twitter called it inaccurate and mean journalism.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

I remember some very un-complimentary details about Queen Mathilde's family squabbles. Her family is certainly not exempted from drama.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 AM
Aristocracy

It wasn't Kate who offered to send a car, it was Carole. If she didn't know George's schedule (and I would bet that Carole and Kate are on the phone to each other daily) then why make the offer?

Uncle Gary is, I presume, Gary Goldsmith, reformed drug addict and pimp. A lot of credit there with regard to the Press, as he's been indiscreet himself, more than once, I believe.

So, so long as Carole is silent and therefore discreet, it's O.K. that she can ignore relatives she's known all her life? The woman who went to the Press was her goddaughter, not some phantom from Carole's distant past!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 AM
Nobility

Ok Curryong, we get it. You don't like Carole Middleton or her brother. Its just most people here don't approve of airing alleged family grievances in public.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It wasn't Kate who offered to send a car, it was Carole. If she didn't know George's schedule (and I would bet that Carole and Kate are on the phone to each other daily) then why make the offer?...
The fact is that there are no facts that this is actually what happened. The elderly couple isn't even named. I'm not putting too much credibility into gossip that has been presented by someone in the far recesses in Kate's family tree. I'm sure that if Kate and this Joanna had been close, we would have heard much more about her before now.

Over the years, families to tend to drift apart as the principal players grow old, die and are replaced by an entirely new set. I have several first cousins that I know are married but couldn't tell you for a hill of beans what their children's names are.

Joanna had her 15 minutes of fame and to me, that was enough.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Aristocracy

I didn't offer one word of praise for Joanna, the woman who went to the Press. I said she probably had mixed motives. She did name the elderly couple. They were her grandparents. Instead of playing 'shooting the messenger', (Joanna) my contempt is reserved for those who turn their backs on their own relatives as they have risen in the world.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 AM
Nobility

The Mail on Sunday has had an odd/perverse obsession with Carole Middleton for years. The fact a cousin has sold her story to the DM in order to slate Carole is hardly coincidental.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The article doesn't say that they had shared Christmases after Dorothy's death only when Carole and Joanna's mum were younger....

Yep. In fact, all of Joanna's memories about Kate and Carole appear to be from when she was younger. If the most recent photo she can produce is from 1991, then how close can they really be?

It sounds like Carole and her cousin drifted apart years ago. Way before Kate and William married.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Yep. In fact, all of Joanna's memories about Kate and Carole appear to be from when she was younger. If the most recent photo she can produce is from 1991, then how close can they really be?

It sounds like Carole and her cousin drifted apart years ago. Way before Kate and William married.

heee, heee. And might have been lucky to get an invite to the wedding. No one wants to realize they got invited to avoid snarky DM stories at the time.
IMHO opinion when family and friends start to ignore you, you own PART of the reason. Two sides to every story. At least, that's how it works for me...
Old 08-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Aristocracy

Joanna was speaking about many more modern incidents than 1991, including how hurt she is about how her elderly grandparents (Carole Middleton's uncle and aunt) have been since the birth of Prince George. Instead of concentrating on Joanna, (Carole's goddaughter) how about some of you consider the treatment meted out to that elderly couple, and think whether you'd like that replicated in your own families.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

What if Carole's aunt and uncle didn't treat her well growing up? Or what if they didn't want to have much contact with her, until Kate married William. Would it be okay for Carole to distance herself from them? My point is that family relations are complicated and we have no clue what has actually transpired in that family. There could be a number of reasons as to why Carole doesn't interact with them.

Nothing that Joanna has said indicates that Carole was close to her aunt and uncle. The only thing I got from that article, was that Carole supposedly told them that she was going to bring a car so they can see George, but then cancelled. It sounds like she called and told them she wasn't coming, so I fail to see how that's treating them horribly.

Besides that bit about her aunt and uncle, Joanna seems to be operating on what things were like when Carole was younger.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Nobility

^^^ Great comment!!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Joanna was speaking about many more modern incidents than 1991, including how hurt she is about how her elderly grandparents (Carole Middleton's uncle and aunt) have been since the birth of Prince George. Instead of concentrating on Joanna, (Carole's goddaughter) how about some of you consider the treatment meted out to that elderly couple, and think whether you'd like that replicated in your own families.
There is nothing in the public domain that makes me worry about "the treatment meted out to that elderly couple". I have no idea if:
a) the supposed event relating to Joanna's grandparents is true or not
b) what the circumstances around the cancellation were
c) was it even scheduled, or was it more in the nature of "I will be in touch to arrange for you to meet George. Don't worry about transportation, I will have a car fetch you", and for whatever reason, the date has not yet been fixed?

Just sounds like a disgruntled loser cashing out for a few quid.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm curious, why are you taking Joanna's word a face value?

Is it possible that Joanna is mad because she hasn't gotten to see her distant cousin, Prince George, so she can brag to her friends and is using her elderly grandparents as an excuse to complain publicly?

Her complaints, no matter how valid they may be, are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. She is turning an internal family issue into a public one. To me, that is very bad taste and shows no class whatsoever.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
All I can say is that after this "episode" and whining to the DM, I think Joanne has probably distanced herself further than ever from the Middletons.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:
What if what this Joanna person said about the treatment of the elderly couple was a lie or half-truth? Are we to just believe what she says without hearing from the other side? I don't think so. Just the fact that this woman is airing her family's dirty laundry in a public forum is enough for me to totally dismiss everything she is saying. I think Carole distanced herself and her family from these people years ago and this woman decided to make a little money by going to the Daily Fail. I think she's disgusting and she has probably hurt her grandparents far more than Carole could ever do. After this, there is probably no way these people will ever see George.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth