The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
The media can be the biggest snobs. While they celebrated Catherine as a middle class girl who married the future king they seem to feel a real need to find aristocratic links. Her Lupton heritage is not news at all but she is still a middle class girl whose parents moved from working for the airline to having their own successful business that allowed the family to have a comfortable life and allowed Michael and Caroles children to go to good schools and get good educations.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Majesty

Tennis fans Pippa and James Middleton take their seats in the royal box for the first day of action at Wimbledon:
Tennis fans Pippa and James Middleton take their seats in the royal box for the first day of action at Wimbledon | Mail Online

Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Aristocracy

The Middletons Go to Wimbledon: A Short History of Royalty on the Tennis Court The Middletons Go To Wimbledon: A Short History of Royalty on the Tennis Court | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Condy Rice fawning over Pippa and James: http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/171...%2b9mnuw%3d%3d
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Majesty

What a privilege for Pippa and James on meeting our former Sec of State.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Condy Rice fawning over Pippa and James: http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/171...%2b9mnuw%3d%3d
I doubt that Dr. Rice was fawning over the Middleton's. She was just politely saying hello . With her education and background, I can't imagine her being overly impressed with anyone.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Nobility

Love seeing her again
Lovely, and Brainy
Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Line judge won't find any wrinkles here! Carole could pass for Kate and Pippa's sister as takes seat in royal box at Wimbledon-
Wimbledon 2013: Carole Middleton could pass for Kate and Pippa's older sister as takes seat in royal box | Mail Online

Picture:
James Middleton and Donna Air exit after a night at the Serpentine bash-
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...94_634x607.jpg
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Aristocracy

I've said it around her somewhere before. I know several people dismissed it cause lots of people will do it anyway... but does it drive anyone else CRAZY that half the time we read/hear about the Duchess we don't hear 'HRH, Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge' we hear or read 'Kate Middleton'. I would even be okay with The Duchess Kate (Seeing as we say Prince Harry and not Henry etc), as that is the short nick name... but she is NO LONGER Kate Middleton! That is her maiden name... not her married and proper name.

I swear, if I thought it would actually work, I would start an international petition to make sure they address her without referring to her former last name. Just bugs me!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Gentry

I know, it bugs me too. I think it is pretty disrespectful. It would be to anyone. I know if I got married I would want to be referred to with my new last name, not my maiden name. It's like people do it on purpose with Catherine.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Aristocracy

Look back, I don't recall people talking about Diana Spencer as much as they did 'The Princess of Wales' or 'Princess Diana'. I wonder if its because Catherine is not technically designated a Princess... either way its just soooo irritating!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLynn View Post
Look back, I don't recall people talking about Diana Spencer as much as they did 'The Princess of Wales' or 'Princess Diana'. I wonder if its because Catherine is not technically designated a Princess... either way its just soooo irritating!
Back then Diana was referred to as Lady Di... That was her 'press name' before she got married, and they did keep using that for a long time...gradually evolving into princess Di. It s all about the headline and how recognizable the name is.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It also annoys me when the media still call Catherine Kate Middleton (I can't believe I called her that once last year when referring to her!) She has been a member of the BRF for two years now...

I apologize for going slightly off-topic, but it also annoys me when the media call the Duchess of Cornwall "Camilla Parker Bowles", or the Countess of Wessex "Sophie Rhys Jones". I don't mind people calling the Duchess of Cornwall Camilla, as I do that myself.

If you make a national petition, I'll probably be one of the first to sign it!
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
I know, it bugs me too. I think it is pretty disrespectful. It would be to anyone. I know if I got married I would want to be referred to with my new last name, not my maiden name. It's like people do it on purpose with Catherine.
Why would it be disrespectful? It has been her name for far longer than her married name. It's not as if we don't know who she's married to. She's still a Middleton, if not by name.

Maybe I don't see the disrespectful side of this considering I would never, not in any case, take on the last name of a spouse.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Gentry

Some don't want to take their spouse's last name and that is fine. But many do, and I think especially in royal circles it is kind of disrespectful. She isn't Kate Middleton anymore, she's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. If people want to call her Kate or Catherine when mentioning her that is fine in my books. But when people are writing articles about her it seems rather ridiculous to still be referring to her by her maiden name.

Maybe some haven't really accepted the fact she is a royal. I don't know. All I know, is that if I were Catherine I wouldn't like it. But that's just me. :)
Old 07-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually she's HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge would be her style if she was divorced from William.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Aristocracy

I know... I was quite tired this morning since I had been up nearly a day. (Live in AZ and our AC was out!) But you get the idea lol...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Actually she's HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge would be her style if she was divorced from William.
Or if William died without ever having gained further titles and their son became Duke of Cambridge, had a wife who was the new Duchess, and Catherine chose not to be known as the Dowager Duchess.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Serene Highness

I actually find it rather respectful to call her by her birth name. It means that the person she was still exists and has not been subsumed into William's identity. In any case, no one is confused as to whom the articles and headlines are referring.

My mother's generation was always referred to as "Mrs. John Smith" and the like. I would read in the paper, "Mrs. John Smith was selected as president of the garden club", and I would wonder who that might be.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

a lot of the Kate Middleton stuff in the papers is due to Internet key words and searches. When people start using duchess of Cambridge then Kate Middleton it will change. Look how long it took Camilla to be referred to as Duchess of Cornwall instead of Camilla Parker Bowles.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth