The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Uncle Gary has in him the makings of an equal to Charles Spencer. For all of the Spencers' flaws, a lot of their behaviour can be attributed to the combo of anger/resentment and a desire for attention. Gary's wants the attention and money, but in place of the anger he's got drugs. Never underestimate the power of drugs.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Royal Highness

I hope that won't happen.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Nobility

Indeed, between the narcissism and the drugs - and the public interest - he's bad news.

I know some people will look down upon Kate's whole family because of someone like him, but I always try to remind myself that, although my family seems quite normal, I have no idea who might crawl out of the woodwork if I were to be put in a prominent position like Kate. Proximity to attention/fame can certainly bring out the worst in some.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Majesty

A tribute to Kate Middleton's great-grandmother...-
A tribute to Kate Middleton's great-grandmother... - hellomagazine.com
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Majesty

Puppy love: New couple James Middleton and Donna Air enjoy a romantic daytime date as they walk their dogs in the park:
James Middleton and Donna Air enjoy a romantic daytime date as they walk their dogs in the park | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The Mother of the Year - Tatler

This is an article about Carole from the Tatler magazine. Superficially it looks ok, but you don't have to delve very far to realise that this is damning with faint praise.

Very snippy from a very posh magazine.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I actually found the Tattler article to be quite positive. Having worked since the early 80s as a woman in professional/managerial positions I acknowledge that there are trade offs I made. It's like walking on a tightrope - but that is essentially the same tightrope every minority has walked until they became accepted as fully functioning members of society.

Bits of society are still uneasy with women in the lead. We still bear the majority of childrearing duties. If we as women can tough it out, we know, eventually, society will follow. Heaven knows most of us have shown that we are more than capable at juggling both work and family.

The snark I found in the Tattler article simply is saying that society is still uneasy about this. Personally, I think it acknowledges that many women can step up the game in ways that many men do not. That does not make Carole any less spectacular at her jobs or her children any less successful.

"Not only are all of her children unfairly good-looking, they are also famously charming. Always the first to write a thank-you letter, they dance all night and are still the first up in the morning, plumping cushions and washing up. If our future king or queen is even half as well raised, may we all be truly thankful." Tattler, Celia Denison, May 2013
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Kate Middleton's parents looking to New York as a spot to expand their party business - NY Daily News

I hope this article is true and that the Middletons do expand their business to the United States. Instead of a New York office, however, I would think that all they'd really need is a warehouse from which to ship their items. Their business is online already and presumably website management could be handled from the UK. Time will tell....I think they'd make a killing!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I actually found the Tattler article to be quite positive...
I agree. Now I'm an American so I find the response from certain segments of upper class British society to be very amusing. IMVHO the very families who pride themselves on their bloodlines forget that every single one of them had a "Carole" in their storied past who had a single minded focus to better their family's welfare.

Interesting enough, it seems that the most successful marriage of HM and the DoE's children is between Edward and Sophie who also hails from a no divorce, middle-class and hard-working family.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Kate Middleton's parents looking to New York as a spot to expand their party business - NY Daily News

I hope this article is true and that the Middletons do expand their business to the United States. Instead of a New York office, however, I would think that all they'd really need is a warehouse from which to ship their items. Their business is online already and presumably website management could be handled from the UK. Time will tell....I think they'd make a killing!
TBH, if they expand to the US, they'll be joining quite a few other companies that already exist in the US. Its not a novelty (pun intended) idea here in the US. I can't remember the name of the company, but it advertises on TV quite often for every upcoming holiday/event that would be a theme for a party.

I wish them well though if they do decide to try for the US market.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Really? I admittedly don't know much about business, but we have several such companies here already, both online and otherwise. Is there something in particular that Party Pieces offers that other similar companies don't?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps they will have items with a British theme?
I recently tried to get some bunting, and could only find it online; none of the local places carried it.

So who knows? It may turn out to be a huge success.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Courtier

I remember finding a cute tea party themed floral patterned (IIRC) set of party items on the Party Pieces website that I couldn't find here in the States. So, both British-themed and traditional party items could be sold. I admit that I'd check it out just based on who they are. I'm sure they'd do their homework about what to offer to the American market. I like what I've seen/read about the Middletons and would be happy to see them become even more successful.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Probably they have been getting enough hits on their website from America to make the idea worth exploring.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Royal Highness

I think that's interesting- it would be nice to see them expand, plus it might offer some business opportunities for James or Pippa in the U.S. that allow for a little more privacy.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think that's interesting- it would be nice to see them expand, plus it might offer some business opportunities for James or Pippa in the U.S. that allow for a little more privacy.
Well, at least Pippa is probably more focused on her new Company in the UK:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent
Pippa Middleton has set up her own company, it emerged today, although exactly what it will do remains unknown.
The Duchess of Cambridge's sister registered a company called PXM Enterprises Ltd with Companies House on May 24, appointing herself as sole director.
Source:
Mystery over Pippa Middleton's new company - Home News - UK - The Independent
Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Royal Highness

The making of a Middleton monarch: Top Royal biographer argues they aren't mere commoners on the make - but the best thing to happen to our future king... and his heir | Mail Online
Old 06-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Can't take my eyes off you: James Middleton and Donna Air look besotted as they attend whisky party-
James Middleton and Donna Air look besotted as they attend whisky party | Mail Online

Very nice pictures of James & Donna.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Royal Highness

The DM has overlooked that HM and the DoE have a daughter-in-law with a middle class background. Her name is Sophie. This type of influence began about a decade ago.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Nobility

The word "monarch" in the article's title indicates why Kate, rather than Sophie, is being singled out.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth