The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Also, while I think Kate's activities are now the business of the public, I don't think the same of the Middletons, unless their activities affect the public in some sort of way.
In general I would agree with your point of view, in particular when it comes to the way they do business (-> suppliers) or their vacation destinations or ...

However, there is one exclusion IMHO: when someone cashes in on his royal relatives by getting free goodies. The question to be asked should always be, would they receive these items without their sister/daughter/.. being mother to the future heir and spouse of a prince. If a newspaper discloses such deals it's perfectly legitimate IMHO. In fact this is what is understood as investigative journalisme. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I cant imagne the royals or the middletons will be happy about this break of ranks. Cant see him 'helping' out much with the royal baby and is now more likely to be sidelined quite rightly so by Kate and William

Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

One of the royal reporters on twitter read the article, and they said that the entire interview is basically about Kate. Among other things, he talks about her 2007 split from William, and claims that Camilla comforted him about his bad press at the royal wedding.

I don't think the Middletons and the Cambridge's are going to be at all happy about this interview. And I don't blame them. Kate has only made one comment about her split (during the engagement interview), so I doubt she would take kindly to her uncle blabbing about her inner most feelings.

Honestly, I think this interview is in poor taste.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Duchess of Cambridge's shamed Uncle Gary Goldsmith reveals intimate details on the Middleton clan | Mail Online

Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

As I've said here before, we can all choose our friends but we cannot choose our family.

Whatever the Middletons think of this interview, there's not much they can do about it.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

This is unfortunate but pretty harmless stuff. But it is a warning bell for the family as it is trailing his book. As a trailer this won't have any "juicy" info in it, but Uncle Gary is probably in the business of a newspaper paying for serial rights. It could get worse.

That's one less for the christianing party.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

He must have a deep need for publicity & attention because he is not exactly short of cash.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Courtier

Kate Middleton's uncle Gary speaks exclusively to HELLO! Magazine - hellomagazine.com
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
He must have a deep need for publicity & attention because he is not exactly short of cash.
well maybe he is short of cash but not disposable assets. He's moving from Spain back to England, we dont know where his money is tied up but maybe with the issues in Europe he has cash flow problems. Haven't heard that he has actually sold his home yet. It is possible that actual cash is an issue.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Courtier

Plus it is probably not the best moment to sell real estate in Spain right now.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Royal Highness

Ruh-roh. Did Uncle Gary learn he won't be a godparent, or did he learn that he will be a godparent?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Serene Highness

What is with this guy? He obviously feels he is being left out of the limelight or something. I think he is looking for attention and does anything he can to get it. And to think he would ever be involved in even a small part of the new babys life is rediculous, does he really think the BRF will let him? If so he truly is mad.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I don't buy the conspiracy theory. To me they are your average celebrity rag covering...celebrities. That usually means dirt is involved. Wouldn't go as far as to say they have it in for the Middletons.

They do include the best and most comprehensive selection of photographs which will secure readership. And everyone knows that sex, dirt and drama sells. The perfect combination for the masses. They are just sticking to the sales formula that works best. Morals are not of interest to them I think, just reader numbers.
I completely agree. DM is a newspaper, newspapers publish stories that make their readers by the newspapers. Anything with Middleton on it sells, big time. IMO there's no ' having it in for them' they're using them to sell things like every single newspaper out there.

The Daily Mail has the best logo free pictures of royals we will ever get, and we get them as soon as they're taken thanks to twitter. If people don't like it, then just block the site, simple. If you want intelligent reporting, watch the news. I
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Love this - MSN have the Uncle Gary story. I haven't read it but the headline is .....

"Kate's uncle Gary claims he mended royal split (has £6m villa to sell)

Got it in one!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Courtier

Middleton sisters: Kate and Pippa, the child stars of Uncle Gary's first wedding: Sisters pictured as bridesmaids | Mail Online

On a sidenote - Something positive about Uncle Gary:
By opening his Family Album for the press, he has at least chosen a beautiful picture of his sister and nieces. Nice and adorable kids, nothing offending or exposing. IMHO whatever his motivation was - and I doubt he would have done it without an urgent necessity - it was a kind trait to chose positive pictures. And this doesn't mean, that I believe it was ok. Just trying to find something good about him.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I dont like the way Gary has allowed his (i think) 11 year old daughter into the photo shoot. Apparently from the article she is close to Kate, Pippa and James - as the little girl is their only first cousin on Carole's side of the family. I feel sorry now for her as this relationship with cousin Kate could become strained after Gary's Hello interview

He mentions that before the Kate and William couple story made it to newspapers - Carole phoned family members to inform them that Kate and William were a couple. Apparently Gary took the call in a business meeting and told whoever was seating beside him that his neice was going to be the future Queen of England. He mentions that his daughter has been used from a very young age that her cousin would be the future Queen.

I'm sorry but this man annoys me - and has let Carole and Kate down by seeling his 'story'.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Royal Highness

I think everyone has a family member that's a bit crass and less discreet than we would like, but still we accept them because that's what family does.

Gary's interview was a poor decision, but he did at least refrain from revealing anything particularly personal or embarrassing. There really wasn't anything new there.

And I'm absolutely certain that Kate knows better than to blame an 11 year old child for the actions of her father.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh gawd I thought this man had put his embarrassing behavior behind him. I hate when people talk about the Middleton's as social climbers riding on the backs of the Royals and being common and not good enough; but Gary perpetuates such an image.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Gary is not the Middletons. They have never said or done anything wrong. Be fair..
Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Gary is not the Middletons. They have never said or done anything wrong. Be fair..
I agree. Compared to a few other royal family members and in-laws. (cough, cough Vittorio Emanuele Prince of Naples, Earl Spencer, Fergie, Jorge Zoriguetta etc...cough, cough) Uncle Gary seems rather tame.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth