The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Whenever you get party items of the kind sold by Party Pieces, you can bet it's made from cheap outsourced labor. If you don't like it, don't buy that kind of stuff.

I do find it interesting that the future King of England benefits from such cheap outsourced labor as in a trip to Mustique but then SJP issues a statement signalling displeasure at the fact that people benefited economically over photos of his suitably clad wife on a public beach. I suppose he's only part of the monetary cycle when it suits him.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
...I do find it interesting that the future King of England benefits from such cheap outsourced labor as in a trip to Mustique
Sorry - but I dont understand this statement - can you explain?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Sorry - but I dont understand this statement - can you explain?
The Middletons have made a small fortune selling party pieces. They pay a pittance for these goods because they are manufactured by another company which employs people at immorally low wages. Had these workers been paid a proper wage, presumably the Middletons would not afford trips to Mustique and such, and have afforded to take the future King of England with them, which he apparently is all too happy to do quite often.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

The DM produced a deliberately and maliciously skewed report focusing on only one single small company who buy goods from a supplier whose workers earn a very low wage (which isn't illegal) to make them. The story is not "Mexicans working for pennies per hour", it's "Kate's family personally profit from exploitation". The DM don't care about those workers, they care about slandering the Middletons and getting hits and comments.

Where are the pictures of the people who run Tesco, the 3rd largest supermarket chain on the planet and who also use this supplier? Why have they not been asked for a statement? What about the other retailers who buy goods from this company? Why aren't they asking the supplier's shareholders how they feel about the company they own paying such low wages? Or the Mexican government why they don't have a minimum wage?

Our modern consumer society relies on people in far off lands getting paid a lot less than we do. My Apple laptop that I'm typing this on is made in Taiwan by people who earn a fraction of what I do. As is most of the clothes and shoes in the shops, most cars on the roads, most electronics etc. etc. etc. We're all to blame for it because we want cheaper and cheaper goods.

The DM produced a hatchet job on the Middletons. They should be ashamed, but this is the DM so of course they're not.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...Had these workers been paid a proper wage, presumably the Middletons would not afford trips to Mustique and such...
This is pure speculation based on a report by the Daily Mail. The report is based on ONE item that they sell and I noted that the DM stated carefully that they were TOLD the levels of pay that the people were earning - there is no other proof.

The main issue here is that the Middletons might sell an item for £12.99 and the people MAY be paid very little but there is nothing about what the US company is taking by way of profit. Before you get overexcited, why dont you contact the US company and ask them.

And to implicate the future King of England in this is ridiculous. Even the Mail didn't go that far.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The DM produced a deliberately and maliciously skewed report focusing on only one single small company ...
Thank you. excellent post, EIIR

Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Majesty

You know the DM have to hit the Middleton's under belt on a regular bases. They wouldn't know what to do if they didn't do this everynow and then.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is pure speculation based on a report by the Daily Mail...
Exactly. The Mail took a story that had very little to do with the Middletons and made it all about them and linked it back to Kate. The people who make these products are not employed by them, and we have no idea what the wholesale price they get on these items is, or how much profit the supplier is making.

They even had the gall to state that the Middletons have always been quick to cash in on their royal connections, and they stated this as a fact instead of as an opinion, which is really sloppy writing and bad journalism. I'm not sure why some journalists seem to have it out for this family- they haven't done anything to merit it.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Royal Highness

I call them as I see them, but you are entitled to find my views ridiculous. It is an immoral economic system, and Will benefits directly therefrom. If the Midds are going to Mustique they are taking a profit, are they not?

The report might be based upon one item, but do you think that the vast majority of what they sell is based upon a different type of economic chain?

P.S. I notice two personal attacks here directed at me (poor giraffe!) Overexcited, and ridiculous. Your argument would be so much stronger if you don't feel the need to do that.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Many of the items sold by Party Pieces were supplied by the giant American party goods company Amscan, which also produces goods made cheaply in China.
The pinatas are also sold to other British firms, including supermarkets such as Tesco, and arrive via the American company's depot in Milton Keynes.
Joseph Zepf, Amscan vice-president, said the company "endeavours to comply with all laws and regulations, especially those relating to wage requirements and working conditions, and categorically denies any inference or allegation to the contrary".
In its annual report in 2011, the company acknowledged that many of its products were made outside America, "which may increase the risk that the labour, manufacturing, safety and other practices followed by the manufacturers of these products may differ from those generally accepted in the U.S."

From the Daily Telegraph

I think these are the people who should be talked about.

EDIT (sorry probs with computer) All the Middletons or any other supplier can do is take the matter up with their supplier. If this is the response they get, and I cant see how it would be any different, what are they supposed to do?

And yes I still think that it is ridiculous to involved William and Catherine for that matter in this and is unnecessary.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
...P.S. I notice two personal attacks here directed at me.
Disagreeing with you and criticizing your opinions and perspectives does not fall into the realm of personal attacks. No one's calling you names, or insulting you personally, just saying that you're making some pretty gigantic leaps in logic to reach the conclusion you've reached.

The Middletons are a very, very small part of a very big economic system. Of course this type of labor is exploitative, but they didn't create the system nor do they have a whole lot of power to change it. The vast majority of cheap goods in the world are produced by underpaid laborers. It would have made a lot more sense for the Daily Mail to have gone after the companies big enough to influence the supply chain- Tesco. Walmart. (Which I believe goes by another name in the U.K.?) Companies like that actually wield a lot of buying power and that can influence suppliers. The Middletons' business? Small potatoes compared to all of those guys. The only reason they were singled out is because stories about them get more attention and because the Daily Mail enjoys writing hit pieces on them.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pressure and this kind of bad publicity helps reduce sweatshop labor. The Middletons can find another supplier, or pressure the one they have.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The DM don't care about those workers, they care about slandering the Middletons and getting hits and comments.
Exactly what's new in that? What's the point of pointing so many obvious things out? This is a thread about the Middleton Family, not I hate the Daily Mail. They are an organisation out to MAKE money. Just like the Middletons. If the Middletons want to keep using cheap labour to make a profit, and that's morally okay with them, then they can go right ahead.

Should the DMs reporting be the real issue here?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness

Those of you who are criticizing the Middletons for using this supplier- where do you guys suggest they purchase ethically sourced pinatas? I've done a few quick searches and haven't found a single supplier that makes this type of product that pays their workers a living wage.

Should they just give up their business altogether? What should they do to handle this global problem?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

THe issue they are reporting needs to be out there - but they chose to target a small, family owned firm with very little economic/financial influence. They could have targeted people with real influence - Tesco, Walmart of Amscan, but they didn't.

They turned the story into a hit on the Middletons and also Catherine. I think that was wrong. And they showed their limitations as a serious newspaper in the position they took.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Excuse me but don't we all have a hand in cheap labor? Are clothes are gadgets are mostly made in China and Taiwan by people who are not getting paid a respectful wage. So if I have a problem with the Mids taking a trip to Mustique you should probably stop buying anything that says "made in Taiwan" in small print.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

If we all went to our closets and checked to see where the clothes were made, or looked in the grocery stores to see where food was grown, or checked our electronic or automotive purchases to see where all the pieces were manufactured I believe we would see that we in the west all benefit from cheap labour in foreign nations. We would not be able to afford the lifestyles we enjoy if the workers who make so many of the products we enjoy were paid the same wages we expect for ourselves.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
...Should the DMs reporting be the real issue here?
I thought this was a discussion about the Daily Mail's article being unfair. The Middletons just happen to be the people it's unfair to. The difference between the DM making money, and the Middletons making money, is that the DM sometimes deliberately hurts people to make theirs. Case in point, this article.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Royal Highness

The question is not illegality it is immorality.
...[It is about people] who take the profits generated from such an immoral system and go on a vacation which costs more than the average salary. As well as the future King of a country whose citizens could benefit from more manufacturing and industry on its shores.

The Middletons are benefiting from an immoral system. Now, are most if not all companies in the sales chain benefiting? Oh, absolutely. Do 1,000 wrongs make a right? Nop
Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Royal Highness

The future King and Queen of England have a moral duty to decline to benefit from such. JMHO, of course. But I wonder what Will's future subjects feel his duty to his people is?

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth