The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i found this info online which mentions that kate's maternal side of the family is of jewish descent. i wasn't aware of it, so i thought i'd post.
You either see being "Jewish" as a religious or racial thing. I have hopes that the "racial" discussion died with the Allies victory over the Nazis. As for the religious question: Catherine is a member of the CoE, she is not of Jewish faith.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Courtier

Here is some trevia I incorrectly posted on another thread (woops!):

Uncle Gary's "Maison de Bang Bang up for sale. It’s on for 6.5 million Euro." (Daily Mail - Richard Kay)

Do I spot any interested buyers here?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Please note that all discussion regarding Pippa Middleton should be posted here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1518110.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
You either see being "Jewish" as a religious or racial thing. I have hopes that the "racial" discussion died with the Allies victory over the Nazis. As for the religious question: Catherine is a member of the CoE, she is not of Jewish faith.
If what carlota found is true then it is accurate to state the future monarch will be of Jewish descent. I did not see anything inappropriate in that statement. Now, if that statement were to be followed up with anti-semetic statements, then we can have a discussion about the inappropriateness of those statements. Sometimes, a fact is just a fact.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

the future monarch is also of catholic descent. The past is the past. The future monarch will be the Head of the Church of England.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I saw nothing derogatory about Carlota's statement; she was just giving some information without any innuendo. It's as much of a fact that the Middletons are of Jewish descent as it is that there are coal miners in their ancestry.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

That's really interesting. I knew that Kate had some Jewish ancestors, but I didn't realize that it was through the female line. I expect that many of us have some unknown Jewish DNA because of the "lost tribes", but this is quite direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i found this info online which mentions that kate's maternal side of the family is of jewish descent. i wasn't aware of it, so i thought i'd post.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
the future monarch is also of catholic descent. The past is the past. The future monarch will be the Head of the Church of England.
Catholicism is a religion not a race. With Judiasim/Jewish it is a little different as "Jewish" is used to define someone is of the Jewish faith and/or of Jewish descent. One can be of Jewish descent but be a Christian or Muslim.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I saw nothing derogatory about Carlota's statement; she was just giving some information without any innuendo. It's as much of a fact that the Middletons are of Jewish descent as it is that there are coal miners in their ancestry.
I agree and it is not really unexpected. Her mother's maiden name is Goldsmith. As Duchess of Durham wrote, as long as no anti-semitic or racist remarks follow (and they haven't), it is quite appropriate for a post in this thread.

BTW Baroness are you sure you would want the keep the original furnishings? It is called Maison de Bang Bang for a reason Perhaps only a few pieces would stay
Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

In case anyone's got a few bob to drop, here's some pics and information on this glorious villa. Maybe Uncle Gary will leave some of his furnishings:

Bang, Bang, Snap, Snap - The Steeple Times - Daily news of the powerful, rich and talented
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton's family business: The ghetto families on 10p an hour making party gifts for Carole Middleton's £30m business empire Party Pieces | Mail Online
Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh god, what a nasty mean-spirited article. Count on the Mail to tie the Duchess of Cambridge to a story about labor conditions for one of the factories that provide items to a supplier who then provides those items to Party Pieces. The working conditions detailed in the story are terrible, but they aren't the fault of the Duchess or her parents.

And the jab about the Middletons always being "quick to cash in on their royal connections" is pure Daily Mail vitriol. Ugh.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 AM
Courtier

Like everywhere else then!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Middletons investigate claims party pieces are made by workers on 10 pence an hour - Telegraph

Telegraph article referencing the one in the DM and saying that the company is investigating the allegations. Also mentions that the US supplier, AMSCAN supplies other retailers including Tesco.

If anyone has probs reading this (Telegraph access has limitations) I'll do a summary.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just when I thought the DM couldn't scrape anymore rubbish off the bottom of the barrel, they produce that article about Party Pieces. Trying to make it into "Kate profiting from modern day slavery" is just so utterly disingenuous.

When Party Pieces stop ordering from that supplier and the workers have less work I wonder if the DM will do a follow-up piece about how they go about making ends meat?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Daily Mail and The Telegraph are just pointed out the facts, a company that's run by The Duchess of Cambridge's parents (of which she used to work for) uses cheap labour. It's an issue, what's everyones problem?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Daily Mail and The Telegraph are just pointed out the facts, a company that's run by The Duchess of Cambridge's parents (of which she used to work for) uses cheap labour. It's an issue, what's everyones problem?
They don't actually- that's the annoying thing about this article. They buy their merchandise from a big wholesale supplier who also supplies many other stores.

This supplier is the one that acquires goods made with cheap labor.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Are you saying that you think these articles are well-balanced reporting? And are without innuendo?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Nobility

My problem is that the Daily Mail specifically picked one company that sells products that are made by cheap labor. Do we dislike it? Yes, of course. Is it right that the Daily Mail makes it seem like Party Pieces is alone in this? Absolutely not. Sadly, cheap labor is used by more companies than most people realize. It has been revealed not long ago that even some high-end designers use it. It's not right, and we all deplore it, but Party Pieces is not by any stretch of the imagination the only company that sells products made in sweat shops, and it's wrong of the Daily Mail to give the impression that it is.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Are you saying that you think these articles are well-balanced reporting? And are without innuendo?
They reported facts. As a newspaper they made it more interesting to read obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
My problem is that the Daily Mail specifically picked one company that sells products that are made by cheap labor. Do we dislike it? Yes, of course. Is it right that the Daily Mail makes it seem like Party Pieces is alone in this? Absolutely not.
I'm not sure how you got that 'party pieces' was alone in this from the DM article. It's a news article and Party Pieces has obviously been chosen for the fact it's run by Carole and Michael Middleton. Nothing about the DM reporting is new, it's the way that paper does things. Last week they had an headline story about how Hong Kong people live in boxes. They publish 10p labour stories all the time, Party Pieces is another user.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth