The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Courtier

It's just another DM article so we don't know if it's true.
Although IMO it would be great if Michael Middleton was given a peerage.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
What a silly article. Must have been a slow day in the DM fiction department. About as likely to happen as the sun rising in the west and setting in the east.
Thank you! The Middletons have done nothing important to receive peerages for, let alone just to enhance the new 'girl' rules.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Majesty

A Knighthood for services to British industry could do as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A Knighthood for services to British industry could do as well.
He's done exactly what to deserves a knighthood for party planning?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh God, if the Queen does give Michael a Peerage I may become an AntiRoyalist! He has done nothing to deserve one, aside from producing a beautiful daughter who happened, by some change of fate, to fall in love with a Prince. Big woop! So have many other lovely woman (Sophie, Sarah, Mary, Mette-Marit to name a few.) Who cares if they are the 2nd or 3rd "Common" as grandparents to the future King or Queen. It's the 21st Century, roll with it. The Daily Mail posts such troff sometimes, it's unbelievable.

Honestly, if this actually happens I may reconsider my liking towards the British Royal family. It will only add fuel to the fire of the Middletons being "social climbers". Could you imagine the newspaper articles about Lady Philippa and James, Viscount Whatever. I dread to think of them as "aristrocracy".

Lumutqueen, you are exactly right. What HAS he done to deserve a knighthood. I would much rather see a Sir David Beckham (which makes me shudder, only because we'd have a Lady Beckham) over Sir Michael Middleton.

I have just realised my post makes me sound like I have a big disliking toward the Middleton's, which is untrue. I just do not think Michael deserves the right to he raised to a Peerage.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
What a silly article. Must have been a slow day in the DM fiction department...

I still contend that a peerage - or a knighthood - would be the last thing that Michael Middleton would want anyway.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I seriously doubt Michael Middleton will ever be given a title. IIRC, it was Carole that started Party Pieces so that lets Michael out of the picture as far as being titled for business reasons. They'd have to title Carole too.

To me, it would undermine the importance of a title. They're not given willy nilly on a whim.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If Michael became a Knight, Carole would get a title.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If Michael became a Knight, Carole would get a title.
You're absolutely right. I think what I meant to convey is as far as the business goes, it was more Carole than Michael and she would most likely earn a title or knighthood for business reasons more so than Michael.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

To me, it would undermine the importance of a title. They're not given willy nilly on a whim.
No, but they were given for services to the monarch. Even bedding him or lending one's wife to the king.... So it's nothing new that people who marry into the RF are given a title and their family an upgrade. Think Mathilde of Belgium....
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Think Mathilde of Belgium....
Albert elevated an already existing family title I believe.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

That is true. Crown Princess Mathilde's paternal grandfather was Baron Charles d'Udekem d'Acoz, whereas her mother is Polish Countess.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

He's done exactly what to deserves a knighthood for party planning?
Gary Barlow got an honor for party planning...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post

Gary Barlow got an honor for party planning...
Gary Barlow got his OBE for 20 years service in the entertainment industry and contributions to charity. Little different.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Courtier

No fear of The Queen given the middletons a peerage. Maybe a Royal Family order for Carole and that be it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Majesty

Well the Middleton's been in the party planning business for about 26 years and they also do charity work. I think an Knighthood or an Honour would be nice for their service to the community and to children.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

One should take a historical view on the system of the peerages. The first peers were those closest to the king and working for him on controlling the kingdom. While a knight or baronet was actively serving as a soldier, the barons and earls (no dukes at that time except Royal dukes) held large estates or counties and represented the king there.

Later the closest advisors of the monarch and those gentlemen who were politically active were either advanced to the peerage or given higher titles. But of course the personal friends of the monarch had the best chances of becoming peers.

But that's a long time ago - there was the Magna Charta, Bill of Rights...to the changes made to the House of Lords in recent time. Today a peerage only signals that at one time in history the founder of the family dynasty was close to the monarch. Plus there are the top politicians (those closest to the monarch again as they led HM's government) who might get a peerage.

So peerages except for family members are outdated. But don't the Middletons count as something like family?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Royal Highness

It's possibly they'll be awarded something under the reign of Charles or William in recognition of their tact and discretion and kindness to William over the years, but I doubt anything will come their way from the Queen.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Nobility

Hi Everyone,

I don't normally follow the Duchess of Cambridge, but I was talking with my hairdresser today - in Sydney - who went to school with many of Sydney's higher profile families, and who is still in contact with some past school mates.

I have heard some suprising things not normally in the public eye, about some well-known Aussies over the years, so as we discussed some "famous" types, I thought I should ask if there was any feedback about my favourite princess, CP Mary of Denmark, from her time in Sydney.

No - but a fellow client is the parent of a person who worked with the Duchess of Cambridge prior to her marriage, desk by desk, in Catherine's parents' company, and who attended the Royal Wedding.

No details except what a nice person Catherine Middleton was, and how unpopular Mrs Middleton was at that time - to work for. ( Also, if you had a baby, you didn't have a job to return to - though that may now have changed.)

Amazing how small the world is - I trained side by side with some-one for two years, back in the 70s in Tasmania, who ended up attending CP Mary and CP Frederick's wedding in an official capacity - sometimes I can't quite get that - seeing all those crownded heads in the flesh, instead of in a magazine!

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Courtier

Isn't that illegal to fire a pregnant woman?

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth