The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Had a quick look at their online store - very similar what's available here at any party supplies shop. I couldn't see anything particularly different to what I can buy at any of the department stores, stationers, party supplies shops or cake decorating & catering suppliers in our region.
There are several differences between online party supply websites and storefront shops. Online shops' customers can be anywhere in the world, whereas storefront shops usually cater to customers within a 20 to 30 mile radius. Online shops can also carry a wider variety of products, and have access to a less limited supply of products. Online shops are also able to easily track customers, whereas storefront shops have a harder time doing so when a customer walks in, makes a purchase, and leaves.

http://mashable.com/2011/08/16/busin...unched-online/

Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Courtier

I don't understand what Online vs Storefront has to do with people saying that the Middletons are "cashing-in" on Princess/Prince line of birthday party items? The Middleton's products are absolutely no different than any other online items. People saying that they are just want to "stir-the-pot".

Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think this is more viewed as a help rather than a hindrance to the BRF. It's something she does well same as the Middletons do. The Queen's other cousin, Margaret Rhodes, wrote a very well written book about her life and times with HM and the Queen Mum. Was that cashing in too?

The Daily Mail should open its own cheese store. Then they'd have whine and cheese.
Interesting...I didn't know that the Queen's cousin wrote a book about her relationship with the Queen and the Queen mum. And to think, the Middletons get raked over the coals for selling princess related items. I can't even imagine the backlash they'd receive if they wrote a book about Kate or the royal family. It's sad that the Midds get labeled social climbers and accused of cashing in, when other people connected to the BRF don't face the same criticism.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Social mobility is considered a crime in many parts of the UK by the people 'left behind'. The people who bash the Middletons are for the most part, the working class and lower middle class, who think the Middletons should be tugging their forelocks in the presence of the Royals.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Interesting...I didn't know that the Queen's cousin wrote a book about her relationship with the Queen and the Queen mum. And to think, the Middletons get raked over the coals for selling princess related items. I can't even imagine the backlash they'd receive if they wrote a book about Kate or the royal family. It's sad that the Midds get labeled social climbers and accused of cashing in, when other people connected to the BRF don't face the same criticism.
Its called "The Final Curtsey: A Royal Memoir by the Queen's Cousin" by Margaret Rhodes. There's links to excerpts of the books here on the forums that give a taste of what it was like and photos.

As far as the Middletons and prince/princess type items, I can remember when I was a young girl, even then princess themes was a big one for birthday parties. We even dressed up our dinosaurs as princes.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
There are several differences between online party supply websites and storefront shops. Online shops' customers can be anywhere in the world, whereas storefront shops usually cater to customers within a 20 to 30 mile radius. Online shops can also carry a wider variety of products, and have access to a less limited supply of products. Online shops are also able to easily track customers, whereas storefront shops have a harder time doing so when a customer walks in, makes a purchase, and leaves.

http://mashable.com/2011/08/16/busin...unched-online/
Um, yes I know how online shopping works, thanks. The region I was referring to would be within a 15 min drive from where I'm sitting. I work in retail, so I have a vague idea how "bricks and mortar " shops work as well.

I'm hardly going to rock into the Middleton's physical shop,.......17000kms is too far to travel for something I can get 3-5kms away. ;-)

Plus as many retailers are finding, it's folly to have a smaller range online than in a physical shop.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
The Queen actually assisted her cousin with the book by checking details in her private diaries regarding the VE and VJ celebrations and what she did on those nights when she was allowed to be incognito outside the palace walls. I doubt she saw her cousins book as cashing in on her family connections (likely would not have assisted her if HM was bothered) although of course its very successful sales were at least in part a result of the relationship. It really is a very charming memoir of an interestiing life.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Just one more detail on the book before we get too far off topic here, to illustrate just how close Margaret Rhodes is with HM and the Queen Mum, she was one of the persons that was by the Queen Mum's bedside during her last illness until she passed away. I would take anything written in this book as very credible. Its the reason I really want to get the book.

We return you now to our scheduled on topic conversation.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Hmmm, William married the well educated attractive daughter of a middle class English family who made their own fortune by their own work effort selling party bits and pieces to other English families. I suppose he could have chosen the daughter of a minister in an Argentinian junta which may have pleased one certain poster but I doubt if she would have been as well accepted as Catherine Middleton has been by the British public.
One certain poster thinks that if Catherine was well received (uncle and all), why not an easy going, well educated, intelligent, hardworking, multilingual, lecturer, expert in microcredit stunning Argentinian The age diference is not a problem, but I don´t think they would have got along
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
One certain poster thinks that if Catherine was well received (uncle and all), why not an easy going, well educated, intelligent, hardworking, multilingual, lecturer, expert in microcredit stunning Argentinian The age diference is not a problem, but I don´t think they would have got along
To be honest with you when it comes to royal marriages these days, what I think is the most important factor is the relationship between the two people involved. As much as they do and will relate with both sets of families, if they're not happy and secure in their own relationship, it won't work.

If a woman loves a man and vice versa, her in-laws could be 9 feet tall, purple with pink polka dots and feast solely on marshmallow casseroles and his be 4 ft and three toed who retail marshmallows and that wouldn't be a factor if they are in love and want to marry. As they say... love is blind but the neighbors ain't ::
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Um, yes I know how online shopping works, thanks. The region I was referring to would be within a 15 min drive from where I'm sitting. I work in retail, so I have a vague idea how "bricks and mortar " shops work as well.
I didn't mean to offend you. But you said you didn't see anything particularly different between the Middletons' online shop and what you could purchase in a stationary shop, etc., so I pointed out several differences.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit

I didn't mean to offend you. But you said you didn't see anything particularly different between the Middletons' online shop and what you could purchase in a stationary shop, etc., so I pointed out several differences.
I believe that Trillian meant there was no difference between the types of merchandise the Middletons sell and the types of merchandise that other party companies sell. Not that there was no difference between online stores and traditional retail stores.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Commoner

The Middletons had made millions out of their business long before Kate ever met Prince William, so they must be selling something that people want :-). Good luck to them - I only wish I could think up an idea that would earn me millions!!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Nobility

That's just it. Unless a storefront shop is huge, an online store can most likely carry more items, and/or a more diverse mixture of the same kinds of items. Having made millions with Party Pieces, there must be something that's very attractive to their customers, even before Kate met William. So there probably is a difference in what they carry, and the ease of obtaining the merchandise.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Royal Highness

Which does not matter at all in a discussion on whether or not they are trading off of their connections to the royal family. That was the context for the conversation- it wasn't about their business model, it was about whether or not their prince/princess themed merchandise was appropriate. Most of us believe that yes, it is appropriate for them to carry that merchandise because most other party retailers do as well.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Nobility

Forgive me. I thought the thread was entitled "Family, Wealth and Background". Which covers it all. But I'm willing to drop it if you'd like.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I believe that Trillian meant there was no difference between the types of merchandise the Middletons sell and the types of merchandise that other party companies sell. Not that there was no difference between online stores and traditional retail stores.
This is what I meant. What I could see was not much different from stock that is available from a variety of suppliers. Nothing "out of the box" so to speak.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post

So what's your problem with Catherine, then? If other royal houses have accepted woman with less-than-perfect backgrounds, why all the hate about Catherine's degrees, her parents' business, etc?

Maxima has proven a credit to the DRF, so why not give Catherine a chance without all the hate?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
The Middletons had made millions out of their business long before Kate ever met Prince William, so they must be selling something that people want :-). Good luck to them - I only wish I could think up an idea that would earn me millions!!
Very good point, Alison H, I wish I would be as creative as the Middleton family is. There is nothing wrong with their business. They a successful and I wish them to keep their status for a long long time.
Sorry, but I don't understand the discussion here. The Middletons didn't need the Royal Family to earn their money. They earned before their acquaintance already. Catherine however gave the Royal Family the glamour back that they had long time ago. So if you ask me, the Royal Family profited more from the Catherine, than the Middleton's from the Royal Family.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The Queen actually assisted her cousin with the book by checking details in her private diaries regarding the VE and VJ celebrations and what she did on those nights when she was allowed to be incognito outside the palace walls. I doubt she saw her cousins book as cashing in on her family connections (likely would not have assisted her if HM was bothered) although of course its very successful sales were at least in part a result of the relationship. It really is a very charming memoir of an interestiing life.
I should probably clarify...I don't think the Queen's cousins are cashing in. I'm just using that phrase because it's always thrown at the Middletons. I was basically trying to point out that others close to the BRF are allowed to write books and run businesses, without being called out (by the media and public) for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its called "The Final Curtsey: A Royal Memoir by the Queen's Cousin" by Margaret Rhodes. There's links to excerpts of the books here on the forums that give a taste of what it was like and photos.

As far as the Middletons and prince/princess type items, I can remember when I was a young girl, even then princess themes was a big one for birthday parties. We even dressed up our dinosaurs as princes.
Thanks for the information on the book. It sounds interesting. I'm going to see if I can find it.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth