The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Did people actually expect the Middleton's to close up shop or not be competitive just because their daughter is now married to the Queen's grandson. Seems pretty unreasonable to expect a families business to suffer just because of that.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Gentry

Well said!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Nobility

I'll bet they all offer the same themes. It took me about one minute to find this one (it's the same thing that Party Pieces is offering):

A New Little Prince Baby Shower Party Supplies, 71317
Old 12-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaSueSue View Post
If it were offensive to W & C, the site would have been pulled already. Apparently, they (W&C) are OK with it...

Whay would she be upset? She knows her family better than we do
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Yes because the Middleton family business , that's been around for 30 years selling party supplies should just pack it in and live on the dole.

I wonder how many other party supply businesses in the UK and around the world sell prince and princess themed merchandise?
All of them as soon as her pregnancy was announced!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Courtier

They (and others) have been selling prince and princess themed party supplies for years now, I know because the Daily Mail has been whining about it for at least a decade
Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness

Only the Daily Mail with their bizarre populist class warfare articles, would rant on about a successful family business that employs a couple of dozen people, pays VAT and other taxes and is a shining example of what hard work and determination can accomplish.
The Daily Mail hates the very poor and the very wealthy and their website is littered with rubbish articles bashing anyone that dares strive for a better life.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Majesty

Based on the almost constant bashing of this family, I'd say this paper wants to appeal to any haters of success that can be found in UK and beyond. Unfortunately, they're attracting a pretty big audience. Shows that so many don't have enough to do, but bash those who actually *gasp* work for a living, and *pounds fist on table* dare to enjoy the privileges and connections said work provides .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Nobility

I would have to agree with that! People who resent the success of others can always be found.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Doesn't the Queen's cousin "cash in" on the royal family name with her party planning business? Is she also disgusting?

I don't see why the Middletons are bashed for providing products for their business. Why should they abstain from selling anything that even hints at royalty. Their products are the same kind of things that you'd find on any party supply site. It's not like they're putting photos of W&K on their products. Plus they've had princess themed and baby shower items on their website since way before Kate's pregnancy.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Middleton bashing occurs for one of four reasons:

1. Snobbery by those who consider themselves superior (generally by birth

2. Jealousy - they have succeeded where others haven't both in having a successful life and the marriage of their daughter to PRince William. Also they are polite, confidential and liked by the Monarch.

3. Inverted snobbery - those peopel who believe in the "natural order" and "we" common people should know our place

4. Journalists who rejoice in creating friction and promoting the first 3 emotions on my list.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Courtier

Oh, well said!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Nobility

You can buy souvenirs at BP, Windsor, and just about every other royal residents. What's the difference? Everybody cashes in. That how the world works everywhere. It's not like they branched off into replica furniture in the nursery. This is what they, and every other party supplies do. Stay on top of what is currently in demand for parties. If they got exclusive rights to decorations for the Jubilee, that could be seen as a problem.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post

I wonder how many other party supply businesses in the UK and around the world sell prince and princess themed merchandise?

Probably hundreds!

That stuff has probably been sitting in warehouses ever since the engagement was announced; that's the way it works!
(Does anyone remember the commemorative plates issued for Charles and Diana's wedding? Merchants preening themselves on guessing right! And then- disaster! Because they put Westminster Abbey on the back and C&D decided to marry in St. Paul's.)

But of course only the Middletons are cashing in! Guess they should just go out of business and let William support them!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Whay would she be upset? She knows her family better than we do
Of course they [both W & C] do and they LOVE and RESPECT them for earning their own living and having a successful and good life. Jealousy has no place in their lives. It has also been noted that even the Queen enjoys their company, and she has a very shrewd sense of character.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

From the programs I have seen on Kate it appears that the media has inverted snobbery. The Middleton's are always describe as being reachers and that title they gave to Kate and Pippa, The Wisteria Sisters? Like the Middleton's have the right to make money but how dare they marry a Prince.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
That pretty much sums things up. The press are much more snobbish than the people they imagine are or should be.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Administrator

As usual, the Daily Mail is making a mountain out of a molehill and I see the usual DM reader (as well as those new to the British forums) are making assumptions without knowing all of the facts. Or perhaps they don't care to know the facts.

I don't know how things work in Britain but in States party shops having been selling Princess like accessories for YEARS. Go into any Party City, Target, Walmart and you will see tons of Princess themed items (napkins, plates, cups, etc.) in the party aisle. And that is not counting the Disney Princesses themes (Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella,etc.). I seem to recall looking at the Party Pieces website a couple of years ago and they seemed to have Princess inspired items because guess what.....thats what their customer base demands. Any good business will determine who is their prime customers are.And for Party Pieces its little girls want to be a Princess and little boys want to be a superhero or a fireman/police officer. You than supply goods to meet their demand.

Its not if there items said Princess or Prince of Cambridge.

The lack of common sense as well as a deep dislike for people who most of us has never is just mind boggling. It just reminds me of the phrase Haters going to Hate.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Serene Highness

The press is reporting that this is a new line of products. Why
do people consider papers are bashing the Middletons becasue they publics not very positive reports on this family?
DM is the same "tabloid" that praises Kate for being the most beautiful, elegant, hard-working and compassionate woman in the world.

Middleton family unveil new baby range on party website following Kate's pregnancy announcement - Daily Record
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I don't know how things work in Britain but in States party shops having been selling Princess like accessories for YEARS...
This is absolutely true!
In our public library the staff has regular "princess" parties; the little girls dress up in their Disney finery (and believe me, that stuff does not come cheap!) and parade around the library, practicing the royal wave...it is so cute, and they always get a very large turnout.

Where is the harm? If there wasn't a market for such things, no one would sell them, but obviously there is one and it's very lucrative. I can't see why the Middletons' company should be the only ones to abstain.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth