The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I used to think the ignorance and mistreatment of the Middleton's was a British thing; but from recent posts it appears it is only certain aspects of the culture that mistreat them and their success.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I would take that one with a huge grain of salt. If Highclere were ever to go on the market, which I dont believe it is, it would go for a great deal more money than the Middletons have and the buyer would likely be an Arab prince or a Russian oligarch.
It was Andrew Lloyd Webber who tried to buy Highclere Castle.
(This was prior to Downton Abbey.)
Webber owns a neighboring estate and thought Highclere would be a fine place to house his art collection.

The Earl got a bit miffed and stated that Webber should buy a place that was actually for sale! No love lost there.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Was it the Earl's suggestion to sell the house or someone else's?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Was it the Earl's suggestion to sell the house or someone else's?
The earl wasn't selling Highclere, that was the point. Webber just wanted to buy it and the earl basically told him to bugger off.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I suspect it is a media thing, more specifically a "class thing". The media tend to be much more snobbish than the so called "upper classes" themselves. God forbid that someone from the middle class makes a success of themselves and starts to enjoy some of the fruits of their success (able to send your children to good private schools, able to enjoy holidays abroad, a country house, children marrying well, be part of a syndicate that owns racehorses, hunting). Oh the horrors of it all. As every DM reader knows people should stick to where they were born, doff their cap in front of their betters, and only enjoy the good life by looking at pictures in the DM and dream about how much better other peoples lives are because they were born into the right family. In other countries the Middletons achievements and success would be something to be proud of, but in the UK certain elements in the media tend to suggest there is something wrong with personal achievements and making your own fortune. Its a case of "how come they are successful and I am not, there must be something wrong with them". That attitude is one of the few things I dislike about life in the UK. As I said at the beginning the media can be much more snobbish that any of the born to the manor families.
I agree. I have a feeling that this family is scrutinized heavily due to their self-made financial success. There have been other royal in-laws that have had far more controversial backgrounds ie: Juan Zoriguetta than the Middletons.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

DM has a very unpleasant article mentioning the shoot.

Middletons shoot up the social ladder

And another, equally unpleasant article from today:
Unlicensed to sell! Middletons risk wrath of Bond producers with their 007-themed party range
Typical DM articles aimed at their typical chav readership. The DM is a chater member of the 'politics of envy' society.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'd say that they may have been enjoying shooting for a while. That's what the upper class does, and getting bent out of shape about it is not going to help anyone.
This is a common misconception about 'country sports' (shooting, stalking, hunting with hounds etc.). Undoubtedly they're popular among the upper class, but they're not exclusively upper class pursuits. I live in a tiny little village in Northern Ireland and most Saturdays I can hear the shots of local people shooting at birds etc. This is not a part of the world with any aristocratic or landed gentry.

These sports are enjoyed by a whole range of people, most of whom are from perfectly average backgrounds, but see shooting and hunting as part of their rural identity and culture. An identity which has been under constant attack by the animal rights extremists and politicians on the left who want to whack people they see as 'toffs'.

As regards the DM's treatment of the Middletons, this was always going to happen. The British press love nothing more than building people up only to take great pleasure in beating them down again. That sense of envy is an unfortunate characteristic of many British people.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Majesty

Middletons to the manor bought... £4.85m mansion propels them even further along their social flight path - UK - News - London Evening Standard
Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Good for them. It should offer them a bit more privacy and a place to entertain grandkids when the time comes. It should at least put off looney tourists walking up to the front door asking for autographs.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Commoner

I wonder when will the Middleton's move to their new house? It seems several months have passed since the sale was completed. And will they sell their present home?
The Telegraph article dated: 14 Jun 2012
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9329...nor-house.html
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

So happy for them and its well deserved. William will have a nice country home to visit
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Majesty

It looks like a lovely home; with lots of room and (hopefully) privacy. They certainly deserve to live in peace, without all the press and tourists trying to get a sneak peek.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is actually interesting - from the Telegraph today. I can relate to some of it - and it is nice to learn that she has gotten her hands into kitchen work. Plus I can now say that both Pippa and I make pasties from scratch.

Pippa Middleton: I’m a real foodie – kidneys, oysters, mussels, liver... I eat it all - Telegraph
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was wondering...if the Queen wished to do so, could she grant Michael Middleton a title?

Or only a knighthood?

How does that work?

(I know Lady Jane, Princess Diana's sister, married a man who was granted a title).
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel
I was wondering...if the Queen wished to do so, could she grant Michael Middleton a title?

Or only a knighthood?

How does that work?

(I know Lady Jane, Princess Diana's sister, married a man who was granted a title).
It's highly unlikely as Mr. Middleton has done nothing to merit it, whereas as Lady Jane married Sir Robert Fellows, who served as the Queen's private secretary for many years. He earned his life peerage through service to the monarch.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

Or only a knighthood?

How does that work?

(I know Lady Jane, Princess Diana's husband, married a man who was granted a title).
Robert Fellowes received his knighthood, and later Life Peerage for services to the Crown. He was Private Secretary to the Queen.

As mentioned in an earlier post, in order to receive a knighthood or Peerage, the individual must have done something for the country - whether that is charity work, diplomatic or business.

Michael Middleton would not receive a title just for being the father of the Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Nobility

Could the Queen grant a title to Michael Middleton - yes. Will she - highly unlikely.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Michael Middleton would not receive a title just for being the father of the Duchess of Cambridge.

But Anthony Armstrong-Jones received an earldom just for being the husband of Princess Margaret.

So, there must be exceptions.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But Anthony Armstrong-Jones received an earldom just for being the husband of Princess Margaret.

There's a difference between married to a royal, and the father of someone married to a royal. It is customary for a commoner to recieve a title upon marriage. There is no custom to make the father of a bride a Knight.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel

He married into the family himself, and he married a royal princess who was at the time, a senior member of the royal family. Totally different situation.

Once again: it's highly unlikely that Michael Middleton will receive a peerage as there's absolutely no reason to grant him one.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth