The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? She owns a business and has been pretty careful about how she promotes it. Should she be barred from the kind of legal business promotion that others do simply because of who her daughter married?

I guarantee the articles will be incredibly innocuous.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Yep. They are going to be quite harmless. More about the articles.

Her first article, in which she shares her top tips for throwing the perfect outdoor party, appears in the current issue of Little London. Princess Charlotte's grandmother reveals she was prompted to set up her family firm, Party Pieces, after becoming frustrated with the lack of party paraphernalia on the market.

'This prompted Michael and I to launch our own small mail order company from a shed in our back garden in 1987,' she writes.

'And while we've grown in size, we're still very much a family business.
'I love sourcing and developing new products and I'm delighted to share my favourite finds with Little London's readers.'

It's not like she's telling secrets about the royal family. She's writing about things that deal with her business. So I don't see why there would be a problem with it.

Last edited:
Very well, I'll leave Earl Spencer. Did Sophie's father write articles about any business he was involved in, or Autumn Phillip's parents, or even God Forbid, Major Ferguson contribute articles about polo and the club he was employed by when Sarah was married to Andrew?

It's not Classist. No other parents of people who marry into the royal family go around writing in magazines and actively promoting their company. I haven't heard of it with Mette Marit's parents, Prince Daniel's family or Queen Letizia's or any other.

Kate will one day be Queen Consort of the United Kingdom. I go to England a lot and still have relatives and friends there. On the other side of the Atlantic Carole Middleton's writings might be regarded as innocuous. In Britain my bet is that this venture will be regarded by the British public as yet another attempt by the Middletons to promote themselves and their company. It might well be unfair but that's how it will be viewed and Carole should keep well away from any feeding of such perceptions, IMO.

I can't see any harm in it. She has a business if that fails William might have to help them out or least that's what the media will say. Let her do what she has to do to keep her business successful.
What has any of this got to do with Earl Spencer and Diana's funeral ????

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Charles Spencer wrote articles and was also a news correspondent for awhile.

It's interesting that Carole should stay away from promoting her business, but the Queen's own family members are allowed to use the royal family to promote their businesses.

Last edited:
I don't see why Charles Spencer couldn't do whatever he wanted and again what's that got to do with Diana's funeral and his speech. Anyway Pippa wrote a book so why shouldn't Carole write articles. If their as bad as Pippa's book she won't be asked to do anymore anyway.

Carole's first article is online for anyone interested to see it first hand - "Outdoor Parties with Carole Middleton" - (just Google "Little London").

"Baby London" and "Little London" also have sister publications "Baby Surrey" and "Baby Hampshire".

I didn't look thoroughly, but very easily came across an interview and photos of the Duchess of Cambridge's "Seraphine" maternity brand designer, a book about Princess Charlotte's birth, and an article about the Duchess' style and what you can buy if you want to follow her dress style.

I think it is a very good "fit" for Mrs Middleton.

And yes, if the Queen can sell plush corgi dogs in crowns, sitting on "God Save The Queen" cushions at Windsor Castle - which I adore and only didn't buy because of suitcase limitations - then I'm not worried by this new thing the Duchess' mother has added to what seems a very busy life.

Last edited:
Because pushing family commercial interests (selling party equipment etc) reflects on the Cambridges. It would be a bit like Diana's father Earl Spencer writing regular columns in a popular travel magazine about Althorp and its attractions, in an effort to bring in tourist dollars in the 1980's. I can just imagine Charles's reaction.

So the Middleton's shoukd stop working because their business reflects on their daughter and her husband? William knew he was marrying a child of business owners, I doubt their occupation and business endeavors are a shock to him. I also don't think the Middletlons will ask permission from their son in law on how to conduct their profession. As long as they aren't talking about him or his family what business is it of his.

Because pushing family commercial interests (selling party equipment etc) reflects on the Cambridges. It would be a bit like Diana's father Earl Spencer writing regular columns in a popular travel magazine about Althorp and its attractions, in an effort to bring in tourist dollars in the 1980's. I can just imagine Charles's reaction.

I don't get your dislike of the Middletons and Cambridges other than to chalk it up to you being a big Harry follower.

Carole Middleton is a private citizen. She has a business to run and doesn't have the luxury to sit around and do nothing.

I wonder would Tom Parker-Bowles be writing for the Mail on Sunday and selling various books if it wasn't for his mother's 40 year relationship with the Prince of Wales? We will never know but it didn't hurt.

And surely if the son of our next Queen Consort can be a judge for a reality TV cooking show, Carole Middleton can write a column for a magazine and not bring down the House of Windsor.

Last edited:
I don't know what Harry has to do with this Anyway she's not being paid but of course it's promoting their business good for them.
They have to make a living and a good one to be able to have a good lifestyle befitting the in-laws of the future King
Seems we want people to work but not to make it obvious

Well, it's not news! Their business has always been successful (aside for James' entreprise) and the cashing in" since the wedding was just to burst the sells even more... But it's no like they wrote "look, our daughter is a member of the royal house now", they have been very discreet and managed to promote their job in a very subtle way... and thats what I would do do honestly, if I had scuh an opportunity...

Very well, I'll leave Earl Spencer. Did Sophie's father write articles about any business he was involved in, or Autumn Phillip's parents, or even God Forbid, Major Ferguson contribute articles about polo and the club he was employed by when Sarah was married to Andrew?

It's not Classist. No other parents of people who marry into the royal family go around writing in magazines and actively promoting their company. I haven't heard of it with Mette Marit's parents, Prince Daniel's family or Queen Letizia's or any other.
It looks like you know nothing about Mette Marit's parents or Queen Letizia's family.

If we look at this recent development from an objective point of view, it can be seen that the one who stands to profit the most would be the magazines that print Carole's articles. One would have to practically have lived under a rock for the past 5 years to not recognize the name Middleton and perhaps even gleaned some inkling of knowledge that they run a very successful party planning business. Its what the press does. It saturates us with just about every imaginable blip of information on those that are the top stories of the day.

Those of us here that have followed the events in the lives of the Middletons since even before the royal wedding, know that this is a family that doesn't seek attention nor does it act like the Ferengi and see "profit" in how they can use royal connections. If anything, they've been a calm port in storm pretty much away from the limelight of royal pressure for Will and Kate. That's what family does. Well, unless that family is in the royal business that is. :D

Carole isn't making a dime off of this other than perhaps a wider potential customer base and it will boost the circulation of the magazines they're printed in and maybe, just maybe, people actually planning a party will get some useful tips.

Seems like a smart move to me.

Those of us here that have followed the events in the lives of the Middletons since even before the royal wedding, know that this is a family that doesn't seek attention nor does it act like the Ferengi and see "profit" in how they can use royal connections. If anything, they've been a calm port in storm pretty much away from the limelight of royal pressure for Will and Kate. That's what family does.

The Ferengi! :p Spoken like an everyday reference on a royal chat site! Who'd a thunk it! :D Osipi, you are precious. ;)

Carole Middleton is a private citizen. She has a business to run and doesn't have the luxury to sit around and do nothing.

I wonder would Tom Parker-Bowles be writing for the Mail on Sunday and selling various books if it wasn't for his mother's 40 year relationship with the Prince of Wales? We will never know but it didn't hurt.

And surely if the son of our next Queen Consort can be a judge for a reality TV cooking show, Carole Middleton can write a column for a magazine and not bring down the House of Windsor.

There is a big difference between the articles Carole is writing and TPB.

Carole is writing to promote her business. The entire article is about her company. There is very little about how to throw a party for children just a few sentences and some images of products, mostly from the Middleton website.

Tom writes because that is his career. It has been his career since he was in his 20s.

Tom has been obsessed with food since he was a small child and his inspiration for writing was his great grandfather, Philip Morton Shand, who was a wine expert and a food writer. His great grandmother, Sonia Keppel, was a writer. Sonia was also obsessed with food. His grandfather, Bruce Shand, was a wine expert and an writer. His uncle, Mark Shand, was a writer. His uncle, Simon Parker Bowles, is a restaurant owner. His cousin, Ben Elliot, owned a chain of restaurants.

In other words,Tom would still have been a writer and food critic regardless of his mother's relationship with the Prince of Wales.

Last edited:
In other words,Tom would still have been a writer and food critic regardless of his mother's relationship with the Prince of Wales.

Are you sure? Without his mother Tom would have been just another man who likes food. He might have made as far as he did now, but it would have been a lot harder. His mother put the name Parker Bowles in the picture and Tom used it to work his way up. Imo there is no problem with this. Millions of people start businesses or get jobs through the people they now and that’s great. They still need to work for it. The start was just a bit easier than for others.

Tom comes from a family of writers. He would have been a writer and since he likes food is was an easy fit.

Whether he would get the television appearances without his family name is a different story.

His wife works in the magazine business and she succeeded without a famous name.

Last edited:
Tom comes from a family of writers. He would have been a writer and since he likes food is was an easy fit.

Whether he would get the television appearances without his family name is a different story.

His wife works in the magazine business and she succeeded without a famous name.

Well she's married to him nobody can say he would have succeeded on his own we can never know.
Your only guessing he would have

There is a big difference between the articles Carole is writing and TPB.

Carole is writing to promote her business. The entire article is about her company. There is very little about how to throw a party for children just a few sentences and some images of products, mostly from the Middleton website.

Tom writes because that is his career. It has been his career since he was in his 20s.

Tom has been obsessed with food since he was a small child and his inspiration for writing was his great grandfather, Philip Morton Shand, who was a wine expert and a food writer. His great grandmother, Sonia Keppel, was a writer. Sonia was also obsessed with food. His grandfather, Bruce Shand, was a wine expert and an writer. His uncle, Mark Shand, was a writer. His uncle, Simon Parker Bowles, is a restaurant owner. His cousin, Ben Elliot, owned a chain of restaurants.

So Tom can write for money Carole can't write to promote her business. I don't understand the difference ! They both are making a living

Last edited by a moderator:
What is wrong with Carole Middleton writing an article to promote her business? The business was there a lot longer than her daughters relationship with the royal family.

What is wrong with Carole Middleton writing an article to promote her business? The business was there a lot longer than her daughters relationship with the royal family.

Exactly. Writing articles like this is what many business owners do - it's great publicity for their company. Carol is writing about something in which she has actual expertise and which predates her daughter's marriage.

Just an observation. The Middletons are not a popular family in Britain and the news (disclosed in widely-read tabloids) that Carole is flogging her business and products in two upmarket magazines is unlikely to enhance the family's popularity.

People shouldn't associate members of the royal family (in this case, the Cambridges) with commercial enterprises IMO, and Kate's family (especially Pippa) do receive criticism for drawing publicity to themselves, whatever the feelings of posters on this thread.

And I don't particularly agree with shops associated with Charles and the Queen selling a lot of tat, either.

The Middleton's had this business long before William and they shouldn't allow him to change how they run it. The British MEDIA are going to hate the Middleton's no matter what because they have the audacity to not stay working class. I applaud them for not letting jealousy and resentment dictate their lives. They have jobs to do and they are going to do them whether you approve or not.

Just an observation. The Middletons are not a popular family in Britain and the news (disclosed in widely-read tabloids) that Carole is flogging her business and products in two upmarket magazines is unlikely to enhance the family's popularity.

People shouldn't associate members of the royal family (in this case, the Cambridges) with commercial enterprises IMO, and Kate's family (especially Pippa) do receive criticism for drawing publicity to themselves, whatever the feelings of posters on this thread.

And I don't particularly agree with shops associated with Charles and the Queen selling a lot of tat, either.

The Middletons aren't a popular family in Britain. Says who Curryong, you? Maybe you've lived in Australia too long. What is not too like about the Middletons. The fact they don't claim benefits or the fact they sent all three of their children to public school and are self-made millionaires long before William came on the scene.

Just because a small minority of Mail Online comments hate on the family doesn't translate into the Middletons not being popular.

:previous: and Curryong

I dont agree with the idea that the British media dislike the Middletons. This story hasnt been on TV or Radio and a one news paper has flogged it to death and a couple of royal-focused mags have mentioned it. So it is not the sum of British media. Also the Middletons not being popular is drawn from the same poisoned chalice.

The Middletons have been in business for years and a probably leaders in their field - which is middle of the road, self catering style parties. Good for them and they are entitled to continue making their way in the world.

Both Philips children live in the commercial world, as does Lord& Lady Frederick Windsor. That's the way it is and many of you have stated on here that the BRF will get smaller and members will have to earn a living. I get confused when people say this and then dont expect the Middletons to do the same.

As for products sold by HMQ and PoW - the profit goes to support the royal properties that HMQ is responsible for and charitable causes in the case of PoW. I have no problem with this - the alternative is that the taxpayer would be paying.

The World of Windsor is changing - perhaps as followers we need to re-think our expectations.

Never seen that much criticism directed by either public or media at Mike (who, by the way, came from a middleclass background) and only in a minor way towards James. It's Carole who draws the ire of most, followed by Pippa, who seems to be regarded as a bit of a publicity hound.

I'm well aware that the people (royal or not) who are the subject of these threads are going to get on with their lives whether ANY of us approve or not. However, this is an opinion-based forum is it not? In the end, I'm giving my opinion.

The situation isn't a perfect one as, yes, things would certainly be easier if members of the royal family had no association with businesses or anything that could appear to be a conflict of interest. However, the simple fact is that Middletons make their living from their business and businesses do have to be promoted. I don't think it's really an option for them to give up working or to find another line of work. And I actually think the Middletons seem to have done quite a good job at drawing the line between the business and the personal. Carole in particular gets a lot of negative press, but I think she's handled things just fine - sure, she might write a harmless little article about party supplies, but she's been quite discreet in the sense of not even giving the smallest anecdote about the royal family or anything like that (and I would imagine she's been offered plenty of opportunities to do so). There are certainly plenty of times that royal in-laws or even royals themselves have been quite shameless about the royal family to promote their work or even just to make some additional money, so while it may not be ideal that the Middletons have products to sell, the certainly seem to be very cautious in the way they go about handling things.

I go over to Britain quite a bit, and talk to British people while I'm there. My extended family is also there. I don't 'bash' the Middletons.

When Zara is selling her story to the glossy mags no one seems to have an issue. When Mike Tindall goes on Bear Grylls' reality tv show no one seems to have a problem.

The Middletons employ over 30 people who pay taxes and contribute to society. People receive knighthoods for less.

Let's call a spade a spade here. The main reason Carole draws the negativity that she does (from a particular few) is, IMO, due to the fact that this is a class issue. Carole has miners in her background. Michael Middleton does not draw the negative comments because he is perceived, by some, to be "more deserving" because his background is more middle class. This is how I see it and it would take an awful lot of very good reasoning to convince me otherwise. Catherine was also taking the "doors to manual" jibs way back in University, again likely from classists snobs. The Middleton's can probably buy and sell some of these people and it really makes them angry. I have to say that I find their work ethic and success quite commendable. For some reason these qualities have not always been looked upon with favor in the UK. It's fine if you're born to it, but heaven help the person who earns their way. Oh BUT we reserved the right to bash the toffs who've had everything given to them. What a catch 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom