The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mail on Sunday has had an odd/perverse obsession with Carole Middleton for years. The fact a cousin has sold her story to the DM in order to slate Carole is hardly coincidental.

The article doesn't say that they had shared Christmases after Dorothy's death only when Carole and Joanna's mum were younger....

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yep. In fact, all of Joanna's memories about Kate and Carole appear to be from when she was younger. If the most recent photo she can produce is from 1991, then how close can they really be?

It sounds like Carole and her cousin drifted apart years ago. Way before Kate and William married.

Yep. In fact, all of Joanna's memories about Kate and Carole appear to be from when she was younger. If the most recent photo she can produce is from 1991, then how close can they really be?

It sounds like Carole and her cousin drifted apart years ago. Way before Kate and William married.

heee, heee. And might have been lucky to get an invite to the wedding. No one wants to realize they got invited to avoid snarky DM stories at the time.
IMHO opinion when family and friends start to ignore you, you own PART of the reason. Two sides to every story. At least, that's how it works for me... ;):whistling:;)

Joanna was speaking about many more modern incidents than 1991, including how hurt she is about how her elderly grandparents (Carole Middleton's uncle and aunt) have been since the birth of Prince George. Instead of concentrating on Joanna, (Carole's goddaughter) how about some of you consider the treatment meted out to that elderly couple, and think whether you'd like that replicated in your own families.

What if Carole's aunt and uncle didn't treat her well growing up? Or what if they didn't want to have much contact with her, until Kate married William. Would it be okay for Carole to distance herself from them? My point is that family relations are complicated and we have no clue what has actually transpired in that family. There could be a number of reasons as to why Carole doesn't interact with them.

Nothing that Joanna has said indicates that Carole was close to her aunt and uncle. The only thing I got from that article, was that Carole supposedly told them that she was going to bring a car so they can see George, but then cancelled. It sounds like she called and told them she wasn't coming, so I fail to see how that's treating them horribly.

Besides that bit about her aunt and uncle, Joanna seems to be operating on what things were like when Carole was younger.

Last edited:
Joanna was speaking about many more modern incidents than 1991, including how hurt she is about how her elderly grandparents (Carole Middleton's uncle and aunt) have been since the birth of Prince George. Instead of concentrating on Joanna, (Carole's goddaughter) how about some of you consider the treatment meted out to that elderly couple, and think whether you'd like that replicated in your own families.

There is nothing in the public domain that makes me worry about "the treatment meted out to that elderly couple". I have no idea if:
a) the supposed event relating to Joanna's grandparents is true or not
b) what the circumstances around the cancellation were
c) was it even scheduled, or was it more in the nature of "I will be in touch to arrange for you to meet George. Don't worry about transportation, I will have a car fetch you", and for whatever reason, the date has not yet been fixed?

Just sounds like a disgruntled loser cashing out for a few quid.

I'm curious, why are you taking Joanna's word a face value?

Is it possible that Joanna is mad because she hasn't gotten to see her distant cousin, Prince George, so she can brag to her friends and is using her elderly grandparents as an excuse to complain publicly?

Her complaints, no matter how valid they may be, are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. She is turning an internal family issue into a public one. To me, that is very bad taste and shows no class whatsoever.

All I can say is that after this "episode" and whining to the DM, I think Joanne has probably distanced herself further than ever from the Middletons.

What if what this Joanna person said about the treatment of the elderly couple was a lie or half-truth? Are we to just believe what she says without hearing from the other side? I don't think so. Just the fact that this woman is airing her family's dirty laundry in a public forum is enough for me to totally dismiss everything she is saying. I think Carole distanced herself and her family from these people years ago and this woman decided to make a little money by going to the Daily Fail. I think she's disgusting and she has probably hurt her grandparents far more than Carole could ever do. After this, there is probably no way these people will ever see George.

All I can say is that after this "episode" and whining to the DM, I think Joanne has probably distanced herself further than ever from the Middletons.

It's a good thing. ;)

The discussion about marriage to commoners has been moved to the - ah - Marriage to Commoners thread in the General Royal Discussion area.

As none of you were prepared to consider one side I don't see what listening to both is going to do. You're all unswervingly on Carole and the Middletons' side. Fine, so be it. Thanks to all for your understanding and kindness to a newbie on this forum, by the way! I so appreciated being leaped on! Out of here, now.

In my opinion it was lovely of the Middletons to invite so many of Catherine's extended family to the wedding.
To invite Gary, particularly, after his involvement with drugs; was decent and showed a true regard for family ties regardless of how often they caught up with each other.
It is usual for families to drift apart as the generations get older - the fact that Carole still spoke fondly to her Aunt and wished to have them meet George (though it didn't work out) also says to me that her heart was in the right place and that one day it might have transpired.
Joanne, as soon as I started to read her article, seemed to be immature in the way she expressed her view of her family relationships.
It is her view and she is entitled to have her view. I was not impressed by her manner nor her view, however. She always risked being commented on - by airing her grievances publicly she knew that her account would be critiqued. I have no pity for her in that regard, except that she might have been duped into selling her reputation within the family by the Daily Mail's payment.
I gave her opinion due respect but, on reflection, judged her to be needy of public attention and perhaps money.
Curryong, I read your opinion with respect too. You had an interesting perspective, however, I disagree with you. I don't find that the story reflects badly on Carole Middleton.
I agree with you that Joanne's grandparents would be disappointed not to meet George. The Daily Mail might have taken Joanne's words out of context - now there's a possibility. Maybe the disappointment was all she expressed and the story was exaggerated around that???
I hope you post again.
I predict that the Middletons, being the well mannered people that they are, won't hold Joanne's words against her or her grandparents.

I am so sick of this view that the Middleton's are social climbers despite all evidence to the contrary. I have seen no real evidence that the Middleton's have forgotten where they came from, didn't they even invite their neighbors to the wedding. And the insistence of Uncle Gary being there shows familyoyalty. This person imo sounds like a nobody who feels entitled because she knows somebody famous. I can only name one child of all my cousins and I dont feel entitled or a need to be introduced to them. This Joann isn't entitled to meet George, the only elderly relatives who usually travel to meet a new family member are grandparents and the aunts, not a 2nd cousin or a great great uncle.
What has Carole Middleton done that is so bad that the Di-ly Mail feels the need to continously bash her? Is it because she was born working class and didn't have the "decency" to stay there?

I am so sick of this view that the Middleton's are social climbers despite all evidence to the contrary. I have seen no real evidence that the Middleton's have forgotten where they came from, didn't they even invite their neighbors to the wedding. And the insistence of Uncle Gary being there shows familyoyalty. This person imo sounds like a nobody who feels entitled because she knows somebody famous. I can only name one child of all my cousins and I dont feel entitled or a need to be introduced to them. This Joann isn't entitled to meet George, the only elderly relatives who usually travel to meet a new family member are grandparents and the aunts, not a 2nd cousin or a great great uncle.
What has Carole Middleton done that is so bad that the Di-ly Mail feels the need to continously bash her? Is it because she was born working class and didn't have the "decency" to stay there?

got it in one. The DM used to criticise Catherine (led by a particularly nasty journo) but then she got married so now they've moved on to Carole.

I think she and Mike have been exemplary in staying low key. I think they are great.

Hi everyone, My first post. I really admire our BRF and William and Catherine. Anyway this is an old article and not sure if its been posted but its a fun read
In a house in the village of Bucklebury, Berkshire, the future king lies – with any luck – sleeping. The fact that Prince George of Cambridge will spend the first few weeks of his life not in a palace or castle but in an ordinary family’s home is revolutionary, but then everything about the Middleton family is game-changing.

His mother’s official name may be Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus. But this is to belie the fact that not since the relatively humble Elizabeth Woodville married Edward IV, sowing the seeds of the Wars of the Roses, has the Royal family received such a jolt to the bloodline.

The Middletons are the first family without a title to be grandparents of a future sovereign since 1028, when an anonymous French washerwoman gave birth to William the Conqueror. Queen Elizabeth, née Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, and Diana, Princess of Wales, née Lady Spencer, were considered commoners because their fathers were mere earls. But the Duchess of Cambridge is the real deal: the daughter of two former airline stewards, scion of miners, clerks and shop assistants.

Genealogical point-scoring aside, what’s fascinating about the (now) resolutely upper-middle-class Home Counties Middletons are the values they will contribute to the aristocratic Windsor gene pool.
Why we should all be grateful the Middletons - Telegraph

Here is the reason Mike is ignored by the gutter press. Public schooling

Mike Middleton comes from a line of wealthy Yorkshire wool merchants, whose trust fund enabled him to send his three children to public school. His grandfather was a solicitor, his father a pilot. All three generations boarded at Clifton College in Bristol.
Carole is a 'social climber' whilst Mike has been solidly middle class his entire life although resolutely upper-middle-class in his later years,

Last edited:
I suppose Carole is a "social climber" but then you could say the same about a lot of people.

Sophie's parents worked more than usual to allow her and her brother to go to private schools, though at least Christopher and Mary worked harder, whereas Mike relied on his "trust fund"...

got it in one. The DM used to criticise Catherine (led by a particularly nasty journo) but then she got married so now they've moved on to Carole.

I think she and Mike have been exemplary in staying low key. I think they are great.

I wouldn't say they have been exemplary in their ability to stay low key. They attend pretty much (I say they but mainly Carole) anything they can to get press. I know people will argue they aren't and defend them but from a press point of view, they rock up to lots of things they would not have been going to if their daughter hadn't married an HRH. To stay low key they need to not be seen except when necessary. Do we ever see Tim's family attending Wimbledon? Attending lots of functions? We only see Christopher Rhys-Jones at Ascot and he was at the Coronation Festival in July 2013 with many other family members because he was invited. He also attended the Queen's 80th birthday service at St George's but he was invited. I have no issue with the Middleton's attending family things like this as they are often invited (they were there during the Thames Pageant, as was Christopher but he wasn't photographed.)

My point is they are clearly milking their daughter's fame. I am not saying it is 100% their fault; the press have a lot to do with it because they know that photo's of the Middleton's attending things sells photos, thus it sells papers. The family, however, could do with not being seen to use their daughter's status to get more money for their own company. (Pippa does this to the finest degree.)

Last edited:
If Tim or Sophie's families attend high-profile events no-one notices because, frankly, no-one cares. I'm sure they do attend parties and sporting events etc. but as no-one gives a you-know-what about them, no photographer bothers to take their picture.

Should Mike and Carole not attend Wimbledon? Surely they have the right to watch a sport that they enjoy. Should they have no social life? Should they stay at home 24/7 just because someone might take their picture? Should they not attend Ascot even though the Queen invites them to not only attend, but ride in the carriage procession with her?

The idea that the Middletons should be accused of 'milking' their royal connections is laughable when Sophie herself was caught red handed trading her royal connections for financial gain.

If the Middletons really were milking their royal connections, they would never have been invited to Ascot or the Diamond Jubilee celebrations by the Queen.

The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background

I don't even know what Pippa does other than the articles for Waitrose and VF so she is doing a bad job of milking her sister's fame for cash gains. Where is the cushy Today show job like Charles Spencer, Jenna Bush and Chelsea Clinton ?

The press doesn't go after Mike because they can't find anything bad about him and it appears that he is just a super nice guy. Plus the pushy Puppetmaster Carole story is much juicer as she climbs out of the council house background to hob nob with the upper class as she teaches her daughter to ensnare the future King. Once ensnared, Carole will now capitalize on various royal events such as George's birthday by selling birthday items. It all part of the plan..... Insert evil laugh .... That's at least how it comes off in certain papers ... Cough : Daily Mail: Cough

They make the press because there an attractive family. Sophie's elderly father isn't front page material. If she had a hot 30 yr sister, she would have gotten similar treatment as Pippa does.

If Tim or Sophie's families attend high-profile events no-one notices because, frankly, no-one cares. I'm sure they do attend parties and sporting events etc. but as no-one gives a you-know-what about them, no photographer bothers to take their picture.

Should Mike and Carole not attend Wimbledon? Surely they have the right to watch a sport that they enjoy. Should they have no social life? Should they stay at home 24/7 just because someone might take their picture? Should they not attend Ascot even though the Queen invites them to not only attend, but ride in the carriage procession with her?

The idea that the Middletons should be accused of 'milking' their royal connections is laughable when Sophie herself was caught red handed trading her royal connections for financial gain.

If the Middletons really were milking their royal connections, they would never have been invited to Ascot or the Diamond Jubilee celebrations by the Queen.

I agree that no one cares about Sophie or Tim's families but that is because they never made the effort to push themselves into the limelight. There is no reason why Sophie's parents were not more popular - she married the son of the Queen and she was the first "common commoner" to marry an HRH. Her parents, however, did not do interviews with people, they did not attend things they would have been invited to because they wanted to remain private. Kate's family however spun their daughter's fame into fame for themselves. Of course the Middleton's are much more famous because William will be King eventually, but they could have chose to not become "celebrities" and hide themselves better, however they chose not to.

As I said before it'snot 100% their fault - but they don't do a good job of keeping themselves low. It's just my opinion, others will of course disagree. Media is much more powerful than it was 20 years ago of course, but it doesn't mean people can't hide from them.

When have Mike and Carole done any interviews? The brief statement when WK got engaged and then at the hospital visiting George were the only time we ever heard their voices. Earl Spencer did similar things when Diana got engaged and William was born.

I think that the only one who "stays" in the spotlight is Pippa... :flowers:

I agree that no one cares about Sophie or Tim's families but that is because they never made the effort to push themselves into the limelight.

No, no-one cares about Sophie or Tim's families because neither married the heir to the throne. Neither were going to have children who would be monarch one day. Neither married in enormous, worldwide weddings that became media sensations.

Whether William married the daughter of a Duke or the daughter of a dustman, that woman's family would be massively covered by the media. You seem to think that the Middletons basically shouldn't leave their home. The only way they can ensure they won't be photographed is to never leave the confines of their house. That's just not realistic.

The parents of all the other women who married heirs to the throne attend different events that they may not have been invited to otherwise, but they're not accused of 'milking' their connections. That seems to be something only the Middletons get accused of.

I don't think the Middleton parent's have made an effort to be seen in the limelight.

Yes you might see them at Wimbledon but that is because of an interest in tennis that they have seemed to pass on to both of their daughters. They are at Ascot (and in the procession) not because of who their daughter married but because of they are partners in a racing syndicate that they bought in 2006! Long before their daughter married into the BRF. Hasn't Sophie's father ridden in the Ascot procession a couple of times? Is he a part of a syndicate or is it because of his daughter's relation ship with the BRF?

They were invited to the Jubilee celebration but so were lots of different people (as was Sophie's brother and sister in law if I recall correctly.

You see them at weddings but they were invited and really, it looks as if the press is crashing the party and not them. Or when Carole is out shopping but other than that?

So how are they seeking publicity again? I don't see it.

Last edited:
No, no-one cares about Sophie or Tim's families because neither married the heir to the throne. Neither were going to have children who would be monarch one day. Neither married in enormous, worldwide weddings that became media sensations.

Whether William married the daughter of a Duke or the daughter of a dustman, that woman's family would be massively covered by the media. You seem to think that the Middletons basically shouldn't leave their home. The only way they can ensure they won't be photographed is to never leave the confines of their house. That's just not realistic.

The parents of all the other women who married heirs to the throne attend different events that they may not have been invited to otherwise, but they're not accused of 'milking' their connections. That seems to be something only the Middletons get accused of.

I agree. Sophie's family doesn't get attention because, shoot, no one even remembers that Edward exists. How many articles do you read where Sophie is identified as the wife of Prince Andrew?

Ok, I stand corrected by all your replies. =]

True this. If this is how we define "milking a relationship" then the only way to not milk it is to avoid a life where others might want to be milking you while at the same time not appearing at public events with anyone in the relationship. Silly.

The only view we are going to get of Carole these days is the one the tabloids want us to see. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom