The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With Prince George's birthday coming up and the history of articles in papers how the Middletons are cashing in by selling certain items at Party Pieces, are we going to see the article claiming that the Middletons are cashing in on George's birthday by selling 1st birthday items? I wouldn't put it pass the Daily Mail.

With Prince George's birthday coming up and the history of articles in papers how the Middletons are cashing in by selling certain items at Party Pieces, are we going to see the article claiming that the Middletons are cashing in on George's birthday by selling 1st birthday items? I wouldn't put it pass the Daily Mail.

Sssshhhh.... don't give them any bright ideas. They come up with enough crapola on their own. ;)

Well, Joanne won't be seeing any more of her Godmother if she continues to slam the family to the press. Uncle Gary is being shunned because he can't keep his lips zipped.
I don't find this a royal issue - I find this a family issue. Probably half the people I know have a family member of friend of a friend with this kind of relationship.
I also find the idea that lower classes having known you makes you an un-special princess is kinda silly. After all, servants have always known way too many personal things about the people they work for (royal and not, new and old money alike). Just my opinion.

Carole Middleton is not being trashed "by the press". She is condemned only by the Mail in their on- going campaign ( yawn), and by a lippy bitter sounding relative. I wouldn't have anything to do wit someone like that either!

The Daily Mail is not representative of UK media and has a v bad reputation by other media outlets.

^^^ Bologna sausage outsells prime rib, its not an indication of quality

The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background

The Mail is one of the biggest newspapers in the world according The Guardian...: Mail Online goes top of the world | Media | theguardian.com

Yeah, just because a newspaper has a high circulation doesn't mean they're right. In fact, the better question is what type of publication it is--ie tabloid versus a newspaper. Daily Mail is definitely a tabloid, whereas other publications (like the Guardian) are definitely newspapers, with all of the ethical and professional rigor that that entails.

Also, what you're arguing for is a very slippery slope. If monarchies more openly take the position that they have to remain "distant" (which term many will read as "superior"), there's going to be a huge group of people that will rebel against what seems to be warmed-over Social Darwinism.

Aristocratic families

There's a shocking story in today's mail about grossly disgusting criminal behaviour in one of the old aristocratic families. Had any royal married a child of that family, would the stories be any less damaging just because the Earl did it?

The tabloid-style press is full of ugly stories about people who have been wronged by someone, or who feel they have been wronged. Some things are just not worth reporting, or if reported, not worth reading. "Auntie Carole ignores me" is one of those.

Gary Goldsmith @garygoldsmith65 · 5h
Off to the gym to burn off some frustration!! Inaccurate & mean journalism stinks!

Of course the Daily Mail is not right, like The Sun, The Mirror, The News of The World, The National Enquirer and other awful rags not even worth to wipe your derrière with...
I'm having a laugh at this. The Dutch are so common they don't even curtsey at court any longer.

The Norwegians are in a tizzy because one of youngsters is being educated at a private school. Shock horror!

Say what you want about Britain but the BRF is still the grandest in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Daily Mail is filled with stories of aristocratic family members getting into trouble.

Compare the "common" family life of Kate to the dysfunction of aristocratic Diana's family life, I would take Kate's every time.

If the worst thing they can drag out is that Carole doesn't stay in touch with distance relatives, that is pretty good. How many people keep in touch with their 1st/2nd adults cousins ? I know I don't. William sees his cousins from his dad's side regularly at royal events but not his Spencer cousins. He is supposedly only close to his Aunt Sarah from his mom's side.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Daily Mail, 'Daily Fail' as it is jokingly known, is a trash tabloid and probably Carole's second cousin did have mixed motives when she went to it with her story. However, IF only some incidents in the article are true -- that Carole no longer speaks to a cousin she grew up with who was as close as a sister, relatives the Middleton family shared Christmases with no longer communicated with, that she (Carole) promised to send a car to elderly relatives so they could see baby George, whereupon they bought a gift and waited for a car that never came -- it reflects very little credit on Mrs Middleton. These aren't distant relatives we are talking about, and this distancing has taken place since the wedding.

The DM didn't make up these allegations, presumably, however badly they behave, and they do!

The Daily Mail is filled with stories of aristocratic family members getting into trouble...
And Cressida's dysfunctional family as well. The mother married and divorced 4 times and 5 children with 3 different men.
Give me the happy and stable Middleton family any day.

Is there any evidence that Cressida Bonas's siblings are unhappy with each other or with their mother, Lady Mary-Gaye, or had a miserable family life?

Kate's family life with her parents and brother and sister may have been happy and stable, but Carole Middleton seems less than caring towards her own birth family.

... but Carole Middleton seems less than caring towards her own birth family.
We don't know that. We don't know if ANY of that is true as to their earlier relationships. It's just too obvious that this woman wanted her 15 minutes of fame ... or money. Maybe they aren't seeing as much of the Middletons as formerly, that doesn't mean they are being snubbed. The Middleton's lives have changed and I'm sure they are very busy people. I'm just not about to follow that stone that was thrown.

I think we have to remember that the Middleton family are very private people and we don't know what their private and family lives are really like. All we know is they are very close and supportive of one another. Also, most likely they have family issues like all other families. That's just the reality of being part of a family.

Perhaps the distancing was necessary. The fact that these people complained to the press leads me to think that it might have been a wise move on Carole's part to keep these relatives from trying to exploit the RF.

To me this is nothing more than the normal evolution of families. When Carole's mother was alive it would be normal for her mother to spend time with her sister and for the families of their children to join them. It doesn't sound like they have been particularly close since Carole's mother died.
When I was young I often saw extended family. As the senior closely related members died I simply stopped seeing my once/twice removed cousins because my connection to them was based on social occasions which stopped when my grandparents died. I'm not snubbing these cousins or my aunt, nor they me - we simply don't have enough common interests or similar enough lifestyles to maintain a relationship or to continue to get together. The extended family gatherings at this point are myself and my siblings and our children who are cousins to each other.
In Carole's case, avoiding this young lady is obviously a wise move, IMO. In fact, after this, I doubt she'll even be invited to James or Pippa's wedding.

Last edited:
It was only one of the family, Joanna, a second cousin of Carole's, who went to the Press. The others have never complained to anyone.

Dorothy Goldsmith, Carole's mother, died in 2006. That doesn't explain the car that never came for elderly relatives to see George in 2013, which Carole promised to send, or the shared Christmases after Dorothy's death, which now no longer happen.

Nor apparently the huge volume of work which suddenly descended on Carole, preventing her from meeting relatives, post the Royal wedding and lasting until now, where previously it wasn't a problem.

The Duchess of Cambridge: Family, Wealth and Background

The article doesn't say that they had shared Christmases after Dorothy's death only when Carole and Joanna's mum were younger.

When George was first born, you want to limit his exposure to people because a baby's immune system isn't that built up. Philip didn't even meet George until they took him up to Scotland when he was a couple months old because he was recuperating from his illness when George was born and didn't come with the Queen to KP the day after George came home. Last Christmas, the Cambridges were at Sandringham not with the Middletons.

Why promise elderly people you would send a car for them, then, in order for them to see him? I'm sorry, but it appears to me that Carole Middleton took after her mother Dorothy in social-climbing proclivities, and is busy moving away from more lowly-born relatives at a rate which has accelerated since the wedding.

George was with his parents at KP in the weeks leading to Christmas. Carole in Berkshire isn't going to know Kate and George 's day to day schedule. Their plans could have changed or George could have gotten a cold. We know from their comments on tour that George was pretty fussy for the first 6 months or so.

Plus this women can say whatever she wants to say because we know that Carole isn't going to talk to the press. Even Uncle Gary on twitter called it inaccurate and mean journalism.

I remember some very un-complimentary details about Queen Mathilde's family squabbles. Her family is certainly not exempted from drama.

It wasn't Kate who offered to send a car, it was Carole. If she didn't know George's schedule (and I would bet that Carole and Kate are on the phone to each other daily) then why make the offer?

Uncle Gary is, I presume, Gary Goldsmith, reformed drug addict and pimp. A lot of credit there with regard to the Press, as he's been indiscreet himself, more than once, I believe.

So, so long as Carole is silent and therefore discreet, it's O.K. that she can ignore relatives she's known all her life? The woman who went to the Press was her goddaughter, not some phantom from Carole's distant past!

Ok Curryong, we get it. You don't like Carole Middleton or her brother. Its just most people here don't approve of airing alleged family grievances in public.

It wasn't Kate who offered to send a car, it was Carole. If she didn't know George's schedule (and I would bet that Carole and Kate are on the phone to each other daily) then why make the offer?...
The fact is that there are no facts that this is actually what happened. The elderly couple isn't even named. I'm not putting too much credibility into gossip that has been presented by someone in the far recesses in Kate's family tree. I'm sure that if Kate and this Joanna had been close, we would have heard much more about her before now.

Over the years, families to tend to drift apart as the principal players grow old, die and are replaced by an entirely new set. I have several first cousins that I know are married but couldn't tell you for a hill of beans what their children's names are.

Joanna had her 15 minutes of fame and to me, that was enough.

I didn't offer one word of praise for Joanna, the woman who went to the Press. I said she probably had mixed motives. She did name the elderly couple. They were her grandparents. Instead of playing 'shooting the messenger', (Joanna) my contempt is reserved for those who turn their backs on their own relatives as they have risen in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom