The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

It sounds like a good idea, I think
Middletons' Party Pieces to give your spare change to charity - Telegraph

Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

James Middleton attributes success to his own hard work - Telegraph

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton's brother James says success is down to his hard graft | Mail Online
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

With respect, I cannot agree with James Middleton, if he ever really said such a thing, and it's not Daily Mail's fanciful imagination.
He might not have craved attention, but to say that the £30,000-a-year education and a flat in one of London's most sought-after addresses (all courtesy of his parents) is not a good head-start, is just ridiculous. Of course, he used connections and his success is as much down to his surname than anything else; if he were a penniless broke, would he be allowed loans or mortgages (assuming he ever took either, and didn't just ask parents for help).

I'm not saying it's wrong, mind you - everyone does that. If you have connections and means, you use them.
My parents have paid for my education as well; when I decided to study in Moscow (because there are no available courses of my chosen profession here), they bought me a flat and supported me financially. That helped me no end; I will forever be grateful for that. Whatever I achieve in my life, it will be down to their help and support as much as my own efforts. I am sure James Middleton (as well as Kate and Pippa) understand that as well.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Whatever I achieve in my life, it will be down to their help and support as much as my own efforts. I am sure James Middleton (as well as Kate and Pippa) understand that as well.
As I understood it, James Middleton does accept that he is in a privileged position and is thankful for it. I guess that the supporters were not only his parents but Uncle Gary as well. But even if you get the basics and a good financing, it still takes hard work to be successful. Okay, there are sons and daughters who become Crown Prince/Princess in Daddy's company, but even they have to work hard and show positive prospects or it's better for their inheritance to appoint a professional as head of the company.

And I believe what James did is creating a company who thrives on creative ideas. Okay, being the B-i-law of William helps but if the cakes do not taste good, then that PR is for naught.

So IMHO he does a good job (I haven't yet tasted his cakes) and time will tell just how much quality he offers...
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
As I understood it, James Middleton does accept that he is in a privileged position and is thankful for it. I guess that the supporters were not only his parents but Uncle Gary as well. But even if you get the basics and a good financing, it still takes hard work to be successful. Okay, there are sons and daughters who become Crown Prince/Princess in Daddy's company, but even they have to work hard and show positive prospects or it's better for their inheritance to appoint a professional as head of the company.

And I believe what James did is creating a company who thrives on creative ideas. Okay, being the B-i-law of William helps but if the cakes do not taste good, then that PR is for naught.

So IMHO he does a good job (I haven't yet tasted his cakes) and time will tell just how much quality he offers...
I am not denying his hard work or dedication; you don't get to create four companies without either. What I meant is that it would be naive to assume he achieved everything he has now without heavy support from his family, network of useful contacts, and friends. We all use connections, and James happens to be better connected than most of us.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

A fab education and having wealthy parents is no guarantee of success. Being a self-made woman (with no familial backing), contacts and start-up monies are nice, but it is up to the individual to make or break the endeavor.

James will probably take the businesses to the point where he can sell them, retire at 40 and live happily ever after. Selling a business is where the money is.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that James could have worked rather hard in order to achieve some goals, but I don't like his self-proud expression, that seems to me exagerated.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I am not denying his hard work or dedication; you don't get to create four companies without either. What I meant is that it would be naive to assume he achieved everything he has now without heavy support from his family, network of useful contacts, and friends. We all use connections, and James happens to be better connected than most of us.
Oh, but think of all those well-connected kiddies who fail in their business endeavours... But you're right, of course. He has to thank his connection for part of his success - and I have no doubt that he does. Creating modern cakes and that at a price that people can afford but gives enough revenue to the company means to invest heavily into modern machinery and you can't do that without money. But producing cakes that people want to eat still is a creative endeavour.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

God save us all? Burlesque-dancing cousin of Kate Middleton is selling U.S. reality show - featuring clips of her royal relative
Quote:
Katrina Darling, who includes a 'God Save the Queen' routine in her risqué burlesque act, is hoping to land a TV series about her life. But to make sure potential buyers know all about her royal connection she includes photos of Kate and Prince William in her presentation.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh....my. Think someone's capitalizing a bit for her 15 minutes of fame?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who was it who originally said you can choose your friends but not your family? I'm sure Kate thinks of it every time the Daily Mail gives this woman press.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Majesty

Ummm...wow . No words. Just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Oh....my. Think someone's capitalizing a bit for her 15 minutes of fame?
I'm with you here. Some will do anything to make money and become famous, even if it's disgraceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Who was it who originally said you can choose your friends but not your family? I'm sure Kate thinks of it every time the Daily Mail gives this woman press.
I won't doubt it. Let's hope she'll never have to publicly acknowledge this individual.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Since they have never met, and this woman didnt even know of the connection until contacted by the press, I doubt Catherine will ever have to acknowledge her existence let alone ever meet her.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Royal Highness

Middilton Family Sharing Clothe

Sharing Hat
http://www.fashionmild.com/wp-conten...m-Hats-Off.jpg

Sharing Dress
http://www.fashionmild.com/wp-conten...ue-Belless.jpg
http://www.fashionmild.com/wp-conten...hite-Stuff.jpg
Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Kate's parents get permission to expand £1.5million 'Middleton Manor' with annex
Quote:
The parents of the future Queen have been given the go-ahead for controversial plans to extend their £1.5million country home. Carole and Michael Middleton have been granted planning permission to build a new annexe in the grounds of their five bedroomed home in the picturesque Berkshire village of Bucklebury. But the application for Oak Acre – dubbed Middleton Manor – has caused uproar since it was submitted, with neighbours claiming that the Middleton’s had received special treatment by hiding the plans from public view.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

OK, we now have the Middleton's first bona fide use of their royal connections. If the plans had been submitted and displayed, as is per usual, and they were just ordinary people, the permission would never have been granted.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's absolutely no way to tell if that's the case and it's quite an ugly insinuation.

Actually, now that I think about it- that's probably because of legitimate security concerns.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
OK, we now have the Middleton's first bona fide use of their royal connections. If the plans had been submitted and displayed, as is per usual, and they were just ordinary people, the permission would never have been granted.
This comment is insinuating that the Middleton's have breached planning law, with the connivence of planning elected members and officers. That is a very serious accusation.

about 10 days ago the DM published the plans so I knew exactly what they were intending to do so not much secrecy there. My assumption was that this coincided with the publication of the planning committee papers. What was interesting at the time was the DM readers complaining that councils were stopping individuals building on their own land/property

The decision would have been made by the planning committee which is a public meeting. That's how we know its happened.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Not exactly the first people to request some privacy in planning applications on their own property. It tends to weed out curiosity seekers/busy bodies/reporters and anyone else who is unwilling to pay the fee to see the plans.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth