The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Actually, Carole's brother, Gary Goldsmith, has a daughter named Tallulah, if I can recall correctly.
But I didn't know these infos about Michael' side of the family. That show Meet the Middletons was more about people who have never met Catherine, then the immediate family

Thank you for correcting me on Gary Goldsmith having a daughter and for
the heads up on the documentary on Youtube.

The following family were invited to the wedding -
  • Gary Goldsmith (maternal uncle of the bride) and Luan GoldsmithTallulah Goldsmith
  • Other relatives, including Matita Glassborow, Jean Harrison, Stephen Lupton, David Middleton, Elizabeth Middleton, Timothy Middleton, John Middleton, Richard Middleton, Simon Middleton, Nicholas Middleton, Adam Middleton, and Lucy Middleton.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Nobility

How many MORE skeletons in Kate Middleton's closet? | Mail Online

In this article quite a ways down, it is mentioned about the twin sisters
marrying Catherine's grandfather and his brother.

PS it sometimes mentions Michael as an airline pilot, but from what I
have read he was a steward and then a dispatcher.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Interestingly,do Pippa and Kate speak French(maybe just a little)?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Interestingly,do Pippa and Kate speak French(maybe just a little)?

Since Pippa and Catherine both attended Marlborough, a school with a high academic standard, French would have been part of their curriculum up until their 'GCSE' exams [A serious of papers on different subjects, eg. Math, English, History etc which students sit at aged 16 before choosing which subjects to study at more depth for their 'Advanced level']. I do not think Catherine studied French at 'Advanced level' at school; I know nothing about Pippa's Advanced level subjects.

I sat the equivalent exam to a French GCSE when I was 16 and could converse at a reasonable level on everyday topics [rather than enter into a serious debate on subjects!]. The syllabus included writing, reading and speaking, using basic vocabulary and in several tenses [present, future, past historic etc].

In addition, many people have the opportunity to visit France - it is a popular vacation place for the British; this in turn gives you an opportunity to speak and therefore improve your French. My family used to holiday in France - several weeks in the South of France in Summer and weekend trips to Paris etc. In addition we visited French ski resorts. I would presume that the Middletons could well have enjoyed a similar existence.

Hope this helps,

Alex
Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Royal Highness

I know I'm going off topic here, but do most British students study French as a foreign language?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I know I'm going off topic here, but do most British students study French as a foreign language?
It depends on which high school you attend. My high school only did French, my brother's high school did both French and German whereas my sister's high school only did Spanish.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
It is no longer complusory in secondary education to learn a foreign language past the age of 14.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Courtier

Meet Lee Buller, senior manager at Kate Middleton's family firm Party Pieces | Mail Online

Oh dear, hope it is not the Fergie (Sarah) factor again!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica17 View Post
I already apologised for misinterpreting what was posted about the Belgian Royal Family. And I'm sorry that you think I employed double standards. I'll try not to let it happen again.

I already viewed Kate's resume at the P of W's website a few days ago before this "debate" started, thank you.

I never said Kate was lazy and never worked. Only I find her accomplishments not very impressive/meaningful (based on her potential). And that she (seemingly) concentrated on being a royal girlfriend. And as I've stated earlier, I expect her do more work as member of the BRF.
She's only been a member of the BRF since April 29th, so there is pleeeenty of time to see what will be unfolding
Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Sorry, but all I can say is that I find both Kate and Pippa to be very pleasant and nice-looking young women.

I cannot do but wish them well !!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Nobility

Pippa Middleton and her family have huge potential to embarrass the monarchy | Mail Online

Daily Mail - potential to embarrass the monarchy
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottestreasures
I know many will jump to the Middleton's defense but in a way this writer has a point. But can't say anything could 'embarass' the monoarchy any worse then other things have and the article is worded very unfairly harshly - though IMO it's obvious the Bieber merchandise thing came to them at least partly due to their 'fame'and well knowness- bc I can't connect what Bieber has to do with online party supplys.

Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree -
Old 06-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Serene Highness

Carole Middleton attends Derby Day Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Looks like the Middletons (Carole, Michael and Pippa) were out and about last night. Quick thoughts...the DM needs to slow down on the Pippa coverage, it was maybe quick in the beginning but now its slightly over the top and slightly stalking, they also need to stop calling her Her Royal Hotness. I think she is an attractive girl, but not impressed by her dress sense at all. She appears to have a better sense of evening wear, cause the day wear is a No No.

Oh, and Carole's skirt needs to be a little longer. Not age appropriate at all IMO.

Please forgive the usual nasty DM comments.

-----------------------

Pippa Middleton was catapulted into the limelight after wearing 'that dress' at the royal wedding and last night she returned to where it all began.

The Duchess of Cambridge's sister accompanied her mother Carole and father Michael on a return visit to the Goring Hotel for a special beach party.

Her royal hotness, 27, looked great in a patterned dress by French label Maje which she cinched in with a beige belt.

Read more: Pippa Middleton heads to the Goring Hotel for a beach party with her parents | Mail Online

Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
the DM needs to slow down on the Pippa coverage, it was maybe quick in the beginning but now its slightly over the top and slightly stalking, they also need to stop calling her Her Royal Hotness.
I must admit that Pippa is my favourite celebrity now and I love reading about her, but I still wish for her sake the DM would stop following her every move.

I usually disagree when people say women should dress in an age-appropriate way, but this time I agree about Carole's dress. I wish it was at least knee-length, because I think she overdid the tanning and dieting and is approaching that baked-chicken look some female celebrities have (like Donatella Versace! )
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Courtier

I think that some of the ladies were wearing 'holiday- inspired' [short and tight] rather than beach wear.

Here's an interesting thought - speculation please note - on my part. I know the Goring quite well - it's quite a popular venue for people attending events at Buckingham Palace [Garden parties, Investitures etc]. It is quite interesting because it is very traditional English, rather 'old fashioned' and 'correct', if you like. It's not 'over-stuffy; though - when I stayed there once, in my bedroom there was a lifesize sheep with a genuine woolly coat - a 'touch of fun' if you like.

And so I was a bit surprised to see that the Goring had opened a Mustique inspired Beach Bar. Belive me, until I read this, I would never have associated The Goring with Mustique. Whilst at one stage Mustique was felt to be 'proper' when it was the haunt of aristocrats [Lord Glennconner who founded it, Patrick Lichfield who had a villa there] and even Royalty [Princess Margaret had a house there, Les Jolies Eaux], over the years Mustique had started to lose its Cachet [Lord Glenconner sold out], Princess Margaret died, and a very different 'set' started to 'take it up' - basically, many [not ALL] were the 'vulgar rich' etc or 'International White Trash'.. in other wordsm the 'raffish' set. I am theerefore a bit, well, surprised to see that The Goring is going 'all Mustique'. Sorry, this does not look so dramatic in writing - it's like discovering that your favourite great great Aunt is an habituee of Studio 54 or whatever the current New York hotspot is nowadays. Which leads me to my next unprofitable thought - I wonder if the Middletons [very fond of Mustique] suggested the collaboration to The Goring and vice versa - in other words, acted as fixers, to the mutual advantage of both the Mustique Company [that owns the Island of Mustique] and The Goring?

This, if true, [and I must stress that I do not know whether it is true] would presumably have had a cash value to the businesslike Middletons....

Just a thought,
Diarist
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Please forgive the usual nasty DM comments.

-----------------------

Pippa Middleton was catapulted into the limelight after wearing 'that dress' at the royal wedding and last night she returned to where it all began.

The Duchess of Cambridge's sister accompanied her mother Carole and father Michael on a return visit to the Goring Hotel for a special beach party.

Her royal hotness, 27, looked great in a patterned dress by French label Maje which she cinched in with a beige belt.

Read more: Pippa Middleton heads to the Goring Hotel for a beach party with her parents | Mail Online
Pippa's too tan here. Also why do her legs look shiny? I noticed it on Kate too at Epsom, do they wear tights? BC honestly it's unattractive.

I like Carole's dress- for me! :) but agree a bit short for her.....
Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Kate did wear tights at Epsom.

From what I can see (via the photos of course) Pippa does like a tan, at least she hasn't gone all Madeline on us.

And I must say it once again, I am not impressed by Pippa's dress sense at all. Makes me think that Kate picked the bridesmaid dress. Even thought they (Pippa and Kate) have similiar taste, Kate's is a step up IMO. Or maybe its that Pippa doesn't know how to accessorize hers....everytime I look at her in a new pic, I notice her shoes and I think...what an odd choice.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Is there something considered "wrong" with tights (pantyhose to Americans) in the UK? Interestingly enough in this country, while some young women go bare legged, it is considered to be more conservative to go the "tights" route. It seems that this is drawing criticism and I am wondering why, if indeed this is a more conservative approach.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Tights are regarded as not exactly sexy.

But alas, in the British (not to mention "Scottish") weather they are an indispensable accessory.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth