The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the products "new"? It's not as if the DM has a track record of accuracy, and as many posters have pointed out, many companies have had these products for years. Can someone help with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:The press is reporting that this is a new line of products. Why
do people consider papers are bashing the Middletons becasue they publics not very positive reports on this family? :ermm:
DM is the same "tabloid" that praises Kate for being the most beautiful, elegant, hard-working and compassionate woman in the world.

Middleton family unveil new baby range on party website following Kate's pregnancy announcement - Daily Record

Are you seriously considering the Daily Mail and the Daily Record to be legitimate press?

Why on earth would a tabloid newspaper who has the habit of getting its celebrity news from American gossip sites or better yet, shows an appalling lack of fact checkers ever report anything incorrectly? People don't consider this to be bashing because they don't report positive reports on the family...they consider it to be bashing because they are loose with the facts, and enjoy stirring up trouble.

The fact is that the Middleton's founded Party Pieces in 1987, and from 1987 until 2001 (when Catherine first started dating William), I would imagine that the company has sold baby items (you know to celebrate a Baby's birthday) as well as Princess/Prince themed items.

You know the criticism against this family is getting really ridiculous. They aren't out and about giving daily interviews about Catherine and the Windsors. They earn their keep honestly and in the same way since 1987 (selling party supplies). They don't stalk the Windsors but are actually invited by the Windsors (who appear to be less snobby than the public)because they appear to be a nice family. Surely if anyone can recognize a social climber it would be the BRF, not the Daily Mail demographics.

As you seem to know so much about the Middleton's, perhaps you would like to enlighten us on what type of product Party Pieces sold before 2001 (when Catherine met William) and 2011 (when they married)?

Last edited:
:previous:Why should I know more of the Middletons than what I read on the press? Is the financial info available anywhere? I have the information from the press, although it amazes me how a small business of trifles makes one so rich to be able to buy a 4 million EU mansion, an appartment in Chelsea, the most expensive colleges, and 3 children that never worked. It sounds a bit too much, but again I don´t know of their finances. They are probably genious. If the press are bashing and publishing blatant lies about them, they still can sue.
I believe Pippa is out and about profiting from her sister´s position publishing a book she probably didnt write. If the Middletons were giving interviews they would be crucified by the public and they would
hear from the palace, that is out of the question.
As for the social climbers, perhaps the RF can recognize them, I´m not sure William can. I dont´believe for a second they like the Middletons and have the right to believe so, as you have the right to think they love them. A if the Queen had any other option that inviting them to the Jubilee.

Last edited:
The Middletons have behaved impeccably for a very long time. They've been incredibly discreet- almost no private information about the family is ever leaked to the press- and they always dress and behave perfectly at royal functions. I imagine they're quite well liked by the royal family- that kind of discretion is valued.

As for the social climbers, perhaps the RF can recognize them, I´m not sure William can. I dont´believe for a second they like the Middletons and have the right to believe so, as you have the right to think they love them. A if the Queen had any other option that inviting them to the Jubilee.

If the Queen didn't like the Middletons, I doubt she'd invite them into the royal box at Ascot. She'd simply ignore them and not extend invites if she didn't care for them. Plus, why shouldn't she or any of the other royals like the Middletons? What have they done to earn contempt?

The fact is that the Middleton's founded Party Pieces in 1987, and from 1987 until 2001 (when Catherine first started dating William), I would imagine that the company has sold baby items (you know to celebrate a Baby's birthday) as well as Princess/Prince themed items.
Yeah, they've been selling princess items and baby themed/shower items for some time now. I remember the press making a big deal about the princess stuff during the time that W&K were dating.

Last edited:
:previous:Why should I know more of the Middletons than what I read on the press? Is the financial info available anywhere? I have the information from the press, although it amazes me how a small business of trifles makes one so rich to be able to buy a 4 million EU mansion, an appartment in Chelsea, the most expensive colleges, and 3 children that never worked. It sounds a bit too much, but again I don´t know of their finances. They are probably genious. If the press are bashing and publishing blatant lies about them, they still can sue.
As for the social climbers, perhaps the RF can recognize them, I´m not sure William can. I dont´believe for a second they like the Middletons and have the right to believe so, as you have the right to think they love them.

Wow...did you even read my posts?

The reason I asked the question is because it appears that you have seem to know all about the Middleton's. And now we know why...because you have read it in the press...which appears be limited to just the tabloid press and not a reputable British newspapers. God knows the Daily Mail has never been wrong. And for the record, I said the newspaper is loose with the facts. For instance, saying that the Middletons are cashing in on the pregnancy when the company has always sold baby and princess like items is being loose with the facts. But don't something like being loose with the facts get in the way of your opinion.

And wow, why do you care that the Middleton kids have never worked outside of the family business? Are they on the public dole? Is the average British taxpayer supporting them?

And since you indicated that you know nothing of the Middleton's finance or their business dealings perhaps its better not to infer that they haven't earned their money honestly. You don't know if they have invested in the stock market, owned land and sold it before the real estate market crashed, have other investments besides the racing syndicate, you essentially have no idea on what they do to support themselves and their family.

And I never said the BRF loved them.

Last edited:
Are you seriously considering the Daily Mail and the Daily Record to be legitimate press?...
See what pregnancies do.:whistling:..?..Now all the galls here are pregnant too and know best..and even more..:ROFLMAO:..It's as fascinating as ladies garments...Not..to me that is....LOL!!!...But what is worrysome and says a lot on the state of mind of some is that rags are declared serious papers..as you spotted right away...That is worrysome...just that..:sad:

Doesn't the Queen's cousin "cash in" on the royal family name with her party planning business? Is she also disgusting?

I think this is more viewed as a help rather than a hindrance to the BRF. It's something she does well same as the Middletons do. The Queen's other cousin, Margaret Rhodes, wrote a very well written book about her life and times with HM and the Queen Mum. Was that cashing in too?

The Daily Mail should open its own cheese store. Then they'd have whine and cheese. :D

I believe Pippa is out and about profiting from her sister´s position publishing a book she probably didnt write. If the Middletons were giving interviews they would be crucified by the public and they would
hear from the palace, that is out of the question.

Wow! Haters gonna hate. :bang:

...Why do people consider papers are bashing the Middletons becasue they publics not very positive reports on this family? :ermm:http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/middleton-family-unveil-new-baby-1510914
and of course the "press" never lies or invents stories to sell papers [that lose money every year since the Internet]. I have NEVER read where CATHERINE was known as the most beautiful, elegant, hard-working and compassionate woman in the world. It sounds like you are now INVENTING fake stories.

Are Kate Middleton's Parents Profiting Off Royal Pregnancy? - ABC News
Ian Drew, senior editor at US weekly magazine,
"They are a party company, OK?" he told ABC News. "They're based in England and that's what sells there. People are very into anything that's royalty or relates to the royal family. They can't be hindered by the fact that they're related to the royal family." "This is England, these are very important historical events over there," Drew said. "It is the birth of the future heir to the throne; it is the jubilee; it is the royal wedding, but no matter who puts it out, whether it's the Middletons or your regular, average, run of the mill party planner, this is what people want to buy."

The Windsors at one time were social climbers. They didn't descend from heaven and take the throne while seraphim and cherubim sang.

Same can be said for the Spencers, the Bowes-Lyons and the Mountbattens/Battenbergs.

Based on their actions over the last several years I think the Middletons are aware they need to walk a fine line between business as usual, (including business like the baby prince/princess themed stuff), and exploiting their connection to the BRF. IMO exploitation would be explicitly advertising the connection; something along the lines of "We're so excited about our new grandchild, the future British King or Queen - please click on the link below to see the special line of Baby Princess products we've produced especially for this joyous occasion! Baby pictures to follow!" They aren't doing that, though. They're doing the same thing that every other comparable company is doing, no more, no less.

As far as I'm aware Michael and Carol Middleton don't come from money. Unlike all the rich kids who start clothing boutiques or nightclubs as hobby jobs, the Middletons actually live off what they earn from the business, (and presumably by this point have used the income to invest, buy real estate, etc). It's not reasonable or fair to ask people in that position to intentionally minimize their profit.

I just the the media and others should stop stalking the Party Pieces website and looking for any royal connection trouble. They have been selling party stuff for many years and it's expected for them to have royal party themes. They would be selling that kind of stuff even if there wasn't a William & Catherine.

The media just like picking on this family and they've been doing this for a longtime now. The family isn't giving any big juicy gossip to the tabs so they are looking for any little thing on their business webiste to make a big deal about.

Wow...did you even read my posts?...
you essentially have no idea on what they do to support themselves and their family..
Neither do you! As far as I know, we have the same source of information, for you it´s the "serious" press. I myself do not have any problem with the so called "tabloids". I do not believe an entire team of journalists sat down every day to see who´s life they can ruin or put down. I believe some of them have trustful sources. The "serious" press told the world for years that Charles and Diana were a fairy tale couple, and no one believed the trashy American tablois that started to leak the dirt. Well, it turned up that they had a miserable life. I will rest my case here, and will patiently wait until someone is brave enough to write a book about this family.

Hmmm, William married the well educated attractive daughter of a middle class English family who made their own fortune by their own work effort selling party bits and pieces to other English families. I suppose he could have chosen the daughter of a minister in an Argentinian junta which may have pleased one certain poster but I doubt if she would have been as well accepted as Catherine Middleton has been by the British public.

Neither do you!...
Um, I'm just not sure what you're talking about.

1. Have you read about some of the stuff that newspapers - specifically, the tabloids - have been doing for the past several years - I.e. indeed entire teams of journalists, with their editors looking the other way, looking at how to get dirt on people and drum up stories, no matter who they ruined. Not just royalty either - they did this with "regular" families whose loved ones had been murdered.

2. Plenty of legitimate news sources reported on the problems in Charles and Diana's marriage - see, for example, People magazine in the US, as well as a lot of subsequent biographies.

3. We do know where the Middletons got their money - their business. To my knowledge, that's not in doubt, and the Middletons are hardly the only family in Britain to have gained their money this way.

Had a quick look at their online store - very similar what's available here at any party supplies shop. I couldn't see anything particularly different to what I can buy at any of the department stores, stationers, party supplies shops or cake decorating & catering suppliers in our region.

No one has a patent, license, or option on any commonly used words - like "Prince" or "Princess".

The Middletons are entrepreneurs and business people. Years ago, Carole Middleton started a business from their home and the business took off.

Of course, the Middletons haven't run the business from their home for years. They are likely leasing offices and other buildings from others. They not only contract and do business with other British professionals (lawyers, tax accountants, etc) to continue to do business, but they employ other people to actually take orders and ship the stock, etc.

So they are adding to the British economy by contracting with and employing other British people - doing business, as it were. Good for them.

Last edited:
Hmmm, William married the well educated attractive daughter of a middle class English family who made their own fortune by their own work effort selling party bits and pieces to other English families. I suppose he could have chosen the daughter of a minister in an Argentinian junta which may have pleased one certain poster but I doubt if she would have been as well accepted as Catherine Middleton has been by the British public.
;) Great post.

Had a quick look at their online store - very similar what's available here at any party supplies shop. I couldn't see anything particularly different to what I can buy at any of the department stores, stationers, party supplies shops or cake decorating & catering suppliers in our region.

There are several differences between online party supply websites and storefront shops. Online shops' customers can be anywhere in the world, whereas storefront shops usually cater to customers within a 20 to 30 mile radius. Online shops can also carry a wider variety of products, and have access to a less limited supply of products. Online shops are also able to easily track customers, whereas storefront shops have a harder time doing so when a customer walks in, makes a purchase, and leaves.

http://mashable.com/2011/08/16/businesses-launched-online/

I don't understand what Online vs Storefront has to do with people saying that the Middletons are "cashing-in" on Princess/Prince line of birthday party items? The Middleton's products are absolutely no different than any other online items. People saying that they are just want to "stir-the-pot".

I think this is more viewed as a help rather than a hindrance to the BRF. It's something she does well same as the Middletons do. The Queen's other cousin, Margaret Rhodes, wrote a very well written book about her life and times with HM and the Queen Mum. Was that cashing in too?

The Daily Mail should open its own cheese store. Then they'd have whine and cheese. :D
Interesting...I didn't know that the Queen's cousin wrote a book about her relationship with the Queen and the Queen mum. And to think, the Middletons get raked over the coals for selling princess related items. I can't even imagine the backlash they'd receive if they wrote a book about Kate or the royal family. It's sad that the Midds get labeled social climbers and accused of cashing in, when other people connected to the BRF don't face the same criticism.

Last edited:
Social mobility is considered a crime in many parts of the UK by the people 'left behind'. The people who bash the Middletons are for the most part, the working class and lower middle class, who think the Middletons should be tugging their forelocks in the presence of the Royals.

Last edited:
Interesting...I didn't know that the Queen's cousin wrote a book about her relationship with the Queen and the Queen mum. And to think, the Middletons get raked over the coals for selling princess related items. I can't even imagine the backlash they'd receive if they wrote a book about Kate or the royal family. It's sad that the Midds get labeled social climbers and accused of cashing in, when other people connected to the BRF don't face the same criticism.

Its called "The Final Curtsey: A Royal Memoir by the Queen's Cousin" by Margaret Rhodes. There's links to excerpts of the books here on the forums that give a taste of what it was like and photos.

As far as the Middletons and prince/princess type items, I can remember when I was a young girl, even then princess themes was a big one for birthday parties. We even dressed up our dinosaurs as princes. :cool:

There are several differences between online party supply websites and storefront shops. Online shops' customers can be anywhere in the world, whereas storefront shops usually cater to customers within a 20 to 30 mile radius. Online shops can also carry a wider variety of products, and have access to a less limited supply of products. Online shops are also able to easily track customers, whereas storefront shops have a harder time doing so when a customer walks in, makes a purchase, and leaves.

http://mashable.com/2011/08/16/businesses-launched-online/

Um, yes I know how online shopping works, thanks. The region I was referring to would be within a 15 min drive from where I'm sitting. I work in retail, so I have a vague idea how "bricks and mortar " shops work as well.

I'm hardly going to rock into the Middleton's physical shop,.......17000kms is too far to travel for something I can get 3-5kms away. ;-)

Plus as many retailers are finding, it's folly to have a smaller range online than in a physical shop.

Last edited:

The Queen actually assisted her cousin with the book by checking details in her private diaries regarding the VE and VJ celebrations and what she did on those nights when she was allowed to be incognito outside the palace walls. I doubt she saw her cousins book as cashing in on her family connections (likely would not have assisted her if HM was bothered) although of course its very successful sales were at least in part a result of the relationship. It really is a very charming memoir of an interestiing life.

Just one more detail on the book before we get too far off topic here, to illustrate just how close Margaret Rhodes is with HM and the Queen Mum, she was one of the persons that was by the Queen Mum's bedside during her last illness until she passed away. I would take anything written in this book as very credible. Its the reason I really want to get the book.

We return you now to our scheduled on topic conversation. :)

One certain poster thinks that if Catherine was well received (uncle and all), why not an easy going, well educated, intelligent, hardworking, multilingual, lecturer, expert in microcredit stunning Argentinian :lol: The age diference is not a problem, but I don´t think they would have got along:ROFLMAO:

One certain poster thinks that if Catherine was well received (uncle and all), why not an easy going, well educated, intelligent, hardworking, multilingual, lecturer, expert in microcredit stunning Argentinian :lol: The age diference is not a problem, but I don´t think they would have got along:ROFLMAO:

To be honest with you when it comes to royal marriages these days, what I think is the most important factor is the relationship between the two people involved. As much as they do and will relate with both sets of families, if they're not happy and secure in their own relationship, it won't work.

If a woman loves a man and vice versa, her in-laws could be 9 feet tall, purple with pink polka dots and feast solely on marshmallow casseroles and his be 4 ft and three toed who retail marshmallows and that wouldn't be a factor if they are in love and want to marry. As they say... love is blind but the neighbors ain't ::D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom