The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

This reminds me - hasn't Crown Princess Mary (or maybe another princess!?) had one of her sisters act as lady-in-waiting at some point? I'm sure it wasn't straight after the marriage.

I agree that for the time being, someone from CH or St James' should act as Catherine's Lady-in-waiting/private secretary etc - someone she already knows and gets along with. At a later stage, once all the dust has settled it would be nice for Catherine to have Pippa at some events. Maybe Pippa will go on the Canadian Tour, but in a private capacity?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Courtier

How odd - I have just posted on another thread below about the apparent rumour that Pippa will be appointed a L-in-W and had come to the view that a more experienced person would be more useful to Catherine.

I had not even considered that Pippa would join the tour to Canada and the USA.

I also have to say in my very humble opinion that I do NOT think it would be too good for Pippa to be involved. There is already disquiet about 'Middletons-cashing-in-on-Catherine's status', and I do think that if Pippa turns up in Canadian/US tour, it will divert attention from Catherine [and the Palace is notorious for not wanting the staff to 'become the story'. We are also being told that Pippa is thinking of setting up her own party planning and PR company, and if she were to do so and then tour with her sister, it is all a bit too 'businesslike' for general Palace comfort I would think.

just my views

Alex

Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I have to agree with TexanKitCat here. Catherine's first public tour with her husband shouldn't have her sister tagging along. It looks bad, considering Pippa's recent publicity.
Uh Oh...I agree with KitCat and RubyPrincess. The beginning of "true colors?"

My true thought is that Kate is getting lonesome and wants some company. William is away all day and she's not used to being alone. If one is not naturally prone to solitude, it can be extremely tough. I wouldn't be surprised if Pippa isn't staying with them.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

"True colours" ..?
If true, it was a very short-sighted decision. One does not have to be a PR guru to know that the decision to bring Ms. Middleton will receive a lot of criticism. ... then again this blunder would not surprise to me. Muriel is absolutely right pointing out the importance of appointing/hiring an experienced lady-in-waiting, who will prepare Duchess of Cambridge for her future duties.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Personally, I think Pippa will make a great LiW! I do hope she does get appointed. Plus, Catherine is pretty headstrong and seems to be keen on doing things her own way and from what little we've seen of her, it doesn't seem like she needs a professional LiW. The Duchess of Cornwall doesn't have a LiW and she has done fine on her own. Plus, Pippa has a knack for organizing things and for putting on a good show and making sure everything runs smoothly and she seems wonderful company. Isn't that everything a LiW is supposed to be?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

"True colours" ..?
If true, it was a very short-sighted decision. One does not have to be a PR guru to know that the decision to bring Ms. Middleton will receive a lot of criticism. ... then again this blunder is not surprising to me. Muriel is absolutely right pointing out the importance of appointing/hiring an experienced lady-in-waiting, who will prepare Duchess of Cambridge for her future duties.
When I mentioned "true colors", I was referring to the possibility that neither Kate nor William would be using good sense in this instance (and perhaps other instances), going forward. As this will be a state visit they both need experienced handlers on this trip. I don't want it to be a disaster.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I see your point. One would expect the couple to have a senior courtier to assist them in smoothly navigating through their public life.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Administrator

I am afraid I am not getting the true colors reference and allegations of Pippa taking advantage of anything.

While I certainly agree that it makes sense to have an experienced Lady in waiting when joining the royal family...at some point when she becomes more familiar in her new position, why shouldn't Kate choose someone she has a relationship with (whether that be by blood or just friendship). She wouldn't be the first.

And since the wedding, maybe I have missed something...but I haven't seen Pippa once. So how is she taking advantage.

Now don't get me wrong, there has been alot of publicity....old pictures taken YEARS ago on a boat, and at a party...but how is SHE seeking publicity? Its more like people who knew her, her taking advantage and selling old pics of her. That's hardly her fault.

At this point, its like the tabloids are just making up stories and throwing in her name and people are running with it.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Yet again ... it is a matter of how a particular individual perceives the situation, isn't it? If the information is accurate, it is likely to be viewed as a case of nepotism.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Well I guess she is in good company. Since Diana used Sarah has her Lady in Waiting, the Queen has used the services of a few Bowles Lyon cousins, Mary and Marie utlilize the services of women who are married to their husbands friends, etc. The List can go on and on.

Someone I think if Pippa was not mentioned a potential Lady In Waiting, Kate would be accused of forgetting her roots, and dissing her sister!

Mind you this is all speculative as there has been nothing other than the tabloids suggesting that Pippa will end up on the June trips.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

"True colors" was not aimed at Pippa. It was aimed at the D&DofCa for their possible decision to take Pippa, who may not be well-versed in protocol, as the lady-in-waiting.

It may be speculation, but it seems possible that the latest article didn't come out of the blue.

I have nothing against nepotism in business situations.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

I dont think that Pippa will seriously join the firm in that respect. Pippa is young, intelligent, ambitious and extrovert - LiW is a pretty dull job, at some point she will have to curtsey to her own sister, plus she doesnt have a clue about work in royal circles.
I would be very surprised. I rather see Pippa enjoying her new celebrity status, at some point she will chose one of the rich suitable guys lining up now and get married before becoming a socialite a la Jemima Khan, maybe with less money but even more influencial family connections.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Your's is the most likely scenario. I hope it works well for Ms. Pippa.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Royal Highness

Wait,wait isn't Pippa starting a new company as well as running another facet of the party planning business? How can she start/run a company if she is the Duchesses LinW?

Something about this article doesn't seem right.....
Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I just do not think it has anything to do with any of the recent publicity in relation to Pippa. I think at this stage of her royal career, Catherine probably needs a lady-in-waiting who knows the ropes and is familiar with the royal way of life. Probably somebody from William's office or from CH might be able to help with that.

IMO, once Catherine is established as a working royal and if she so chooses, Pippa could become a lady-in-waiting.
Actually I think Pippa is an excellent choice for a lady-in-waiting for Kate.

It was put out during the engagement that Pippa just might be the lady-in-waiting of choice. Who knows? Pippa may have been undergoing extensive training for this role for months. Most ladies-in-waiting that I have heard of over the years (like for the Queen, the Queen Mum, Diana etc) have all been people that can be trusted and are loyal friends. It could very well be Pippa but I'd not be surprised to see two ladies until Pippa knows the ropes. We'll see...
Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Commoner

pipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Luna View Post
Im agree with you, this make me sick
The funniest is that in greek the word pipa(Pippa) means blowjob and everyone in the media were joking with that fact and they say: "Pippa is very pipa!If she knew what is the meaning of her name she would keep the Philippa.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Serene Highness

I would imagine Clarence House chosen someone already familiar with their routine. If anyone remembers, Helen Asprey helped fixing Catherine's train before she went down the aisle, so my bets would be on her.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Well it will likely be awhile before Catherine actually needs a Lady in Waiting, but I remember the press speculating on the possibility as soon as they got a good look at Pippa. It made a good story and they are running with it, her picture sells papers.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Heir Apparent

James Middleton is dyslexic. He did not read the Bible passage, but learnt it by heart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-dyslexia.html
Old 05-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
James Middleton is dyslexic. He did not read the Bible passage, but learnt it by heart.

uKate Middleton's brother triumphs over his dyslexia - Telegraph
That's really surprising. At first I was "confused" about the way he made his speech, but didn't know he was dyslexic. Actually going back, he barely looked at the piece of paper with the passage. Well done!

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth