The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
My husband read an article today the Middleton contributed $163,000 to wedding paying for bridesmaid dresses, honeymoon and hotel among othe things. I will try and find
Edit- Kate Middleton's parents 'face £100,000 wedding bill' - Yahoo! News

Oh it says bridal dressES.......
Its only fair that the Middletons will contribute since they have without a doubt cashed in on the wedding through their business. To go for the childrens princess theme might have been a long-term business plan without the prospect of Kate marring into royalty but they recently did create lots of items that are related to their daughters wedding and will have made lots of profit

I wonder how this will continue, speaking of conflict of interest. With time passing it could become a source of bad press for Kate when it is needed by the media.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Can you provide an example of what they are doing to cash in on the business?

Looking at the website, I see nothing that looks like the Middleton's are profiting off the wedding...I see items related to a Princess Party (which I would find in any Party store in the states and does not mention Kate) and things that relate to the Union Jack (which I would expect an English store to seel). Just like I would expect an American Store to sell things for 4th of July.

I even typed in Royal Wedding and came up with items related to Butterflies. Typing in Kate provides no related items.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Courtier

Pippa Middleton at Holly Branson's Engagement Party

Pippa Middleton takes night off from Royal Wedding duties at Holly Branson's engagement bash | Mail Online
Old 04-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Its only fair that the Middletons will contribute since they have without a doubt cashed in on the wedding through their business. To go for the childrens princess theme might have been a long-term business plan without the prospect of Kate marring into royalty but they recently did create lots of items that are related to their daughters wedding and will have made lots of profit

I wonder how this will continue, speaking of conflict of interest. With time passing it could become a source of bad press for Kate when it is needed by the media.
Any news are good news. I personally dont see how such a business can suffer from bad press - so you're right: in the end the Middletons business will benefit from the fact alone that Prince William's wife is their daughter. But - I don't see what they could do to change this. And they dont strike me as greedy people, so I'm convinced part of the extra gainings will go to charity. In the end it's the same with any business with Royal connections. Ella Windsor gets more jobs, Crown Princess Marie Chantal gets more customers, Viscount Linley sells more antiques.... They all profit even though they do nothing more than being themselves and related to the RF. Thats the way their customers react to the Royal connections, not the ones with the Royal connections using them for their own ends. The Middletons sell what their customers want to buy from them within their range of goods for sale. I doubt that well ever see Catherine at a promo event at her parent's business. But I can imagine she will be thankful for her parents help with a charity event when she is the patron of the charity.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Courtier

Agreed. Is not the QEII's cousin an event planner and even involved in the wedding reception? I don't see that as any different. I am sure she has gotten a great deal of business over the years simply because of the royal connection.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Agreed. Is not the QEII's cousin an event planner and even involved in the wedding reception? I don't see that as any different. I am sure she has gotten a great deal of business over the years simply because of the royal connection.
You can't have it both ways. People with Royal connection should not be payed by the taxpayer for staying out of the business world but stay away they should... That is impossible in itself. Either the people want minor Royals and their connections to earn their own money or the people must pay for them. The choice was politically made when the Civil list ceased to exist for most of the Royals. A decision which did not come from the RF, which was forced on them despite the old contract about giving up the Crown Estate in exchange for the Civil list and a decision they had to arrage with. Why blame them when following this trend the way to deal with business changed from the old ways to a more modern, yes, certainly "greedier" way?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's an old saying in business. "Bid'ness is bid'ness." I don't think there is anyone with royal connnections who doesn't, deliberately or otherwise, use those connections. If that's the case, everyone responsible for their own success with the surname Windsor should have to change their names. I'm a regular person, but when necessary, I will name-drop if it will improve my chances of success. That's how business works and has always worked. Getting a leg-up is not unethical.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

If they had started their business after Kate's relationship with William was made publicly I would second guess, but since it wasn't the case, they are doing what any company in that party paraphernalia area should do. if they didn't sell anything princess related I would suspect. 7 out of 10 little girl's birthday have a princess theme.
Their website is really well done as well. I'm not sure we have something like that here in Brazil. It seems like a great idea.....
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

Using connections is standard business practice. There are both ethical ways and unethical ways to "use" connections. Sometimes it's better to say the business "has" connections, as with the Middletons. Of course some people who are following Royal business closely will choose to order from them, just to say that they have. This is an advantage to be married into the Royals that simply comes with the territory. They do not appear to have changed their business plan or model, and if they profit, so be it.

If I were the parents, I'd also continue to make my own decisions about how to spend any extra profit (after taxes), probably focusing on saving some money for my children and grandchildren. I'd continue to send the same percentage toward charity as before. I really hope the Middletons can continue their life without too much scrutiny (are tax forms private in Great Britain?)
Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Can you provide an example of what they are doing to cash in on the business?

Looking at the website, I see nothing that looks like the Middleton's are profiting off the wedding...I see items related to a Princess Party (which I would find in any Party store in the states and does not mention Kate) and things that relate to the Union Jack (which I would expect an English store to seel). Just like I would expect an American Store to sell things for 4th of July.

I even typed in Royal Wedding and came up with items related to Butterflies. Typing in Kate provides no related items.
its an old story basically and it has been in the media before
Kate Middleton's parents cash in with 'Royal' scratchcards | This is Money

it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that when your business is set on princess-theme items and your daughter marries a prince it will be beneficial for your business
cashing in seems to be a common practice but all the examples that Kataryn has given further down are at least somehow related to the royal family themselves and not the inlaws or siblings of the commoner consort.

imo the Middletons may be critizised at this stage, with Kate being the fiancee and technically no member of the BRF as yet, but if they continue like this or even step up several gears by promoting their business with royal connection the closed season will be off and it becomes a BRF image affair. i trust the senior BRF members to avoid such a scenario, hopefully having learned from the past.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
i
cashing in seems to be a common practice but all the examples that Kataryn has given further down are at least somehow related to the royal family themselves and not the inlaws or siblings of the commoner consort.
Once Catherine is a mother her parents will be direct blood relations to a prince or princess of the UK.... Where's the difference?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Royal Wedding: Young royal set at Branson engagement party - hellomagazine.com

Pippa Middleton takes night off from Royal Wedding duties at Holly Branson's engagement bash | Mail Online
Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
its an old story basically and it has been in the media before
Kate Middleton's parents cash in with 'Royal' scratchcards | This is Money

it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that when your business is set on princess-theme items and your daughter marries a prince it will be beneficial for your business

imo the Middletons may be critizised at this stage, with Kate being the fiancee and technically no member of the BRF as yet, but if they continue like this or even step up several gears by promoting their business with royal connection the closed season will be off and it becomes a BRF image affair. i trust the senior BRF members to avoid such a scenario, hopefully having learned from the past.
I don't know how it is everywhere but in the States a Princess theme wedding is always a big seller for little girls weddings. Mainstays in the party business are Christmas, New Years, Fourth of July (in the States) and other major holidays. For little girls its the Princess theme and for little boys its fireman, police, etc. And its worth noting that they sold from the get go...not when Kate started dating William or become engaged to him.

The royal scratch off cards are not a biggie as well. Didn't I read something about Prince Charles profiting on the business side from the wedding as well? Or do the same rules not applicable to him?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The royal scratch off cards are not a biggie as well. Didn't I read something about Prince Charles profiting on the business side from the wedding as well? Or do the same rules not applicable to him?
yes he does but at least profits are apparently going to charity
Royal wedding: Prince Charles sells William and Kate jigsaw puzzle - Telegraph
Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Exactly, Zonk. Party Pieces shouldn't have to stop selling princess items just because their daughter is marrying into the royal family.

As for the Britannia scratch cards, I don't think it's a big deal. They're being sold at a ton of party sites, so I don't see why PP can't sell them too.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

They sell Princess themes which I totally get but didn't they start selling British/Royal themed stuff after the engagement was announced? Sorry but whether right or wrong it's tacky......why not just avoid that even if just to eliminate the perception of 'profiting off your child's realtionship? Sometimes perception counts more then reality.....
Old 04-22-2011, 05:31 PM

They actually sold British themed items before the engagement. They added a few more British themed items, along with the scratch game in February or March.

I personally don't think it's tacky. If they were selling items with W&K's picture, or something with the actual images of the royal family then I would probably feel differently.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Serene Highness

agree!
Nothing that I saw came as tacky. Besides nothing w/ their faces on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
I though that the necklace was lost once the Titanic sank. Nice bling, Bea!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM

^ It does look like the Titanic necklace.

They all look really nice. I love what Eugenie is wearing.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
They actually sold British themed items before the engagement. They added a few more British themed items, along with the scratch game in February or March.

I personally don't think it's tacky. If they were selling items with W&K's picture, or something with the actual images of the royal family then I would probably feel differently.
Agree, again. It's really tacky that there are people/media who are so eager to point fingers at the Middletons for doing things that they have been doing all along and yet give a pass to others for very possibly, indeed cashing in. This family probably will never really catch a break, it's just another theme on the same old story about people "staying in their place". And honestly that attitude is really getting boring and also highly out of place in this day and time.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth