The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Royal Highness

The article seems to be implying as she's marrying a Royal Catherine does need a coat of arms and this way since Michael got it the family can use it, I personally think it's a bit much but if Kate needs one I see no reason her family can't use one too, I assume it doesn't bother William.......

I have to amend my earlier statement (abov) while I see no reason the Middleton's can't use a coat of arms I will say that if I were in Kates position I'd begin to wonder if they were piggybacking a bit off my relationship, like for business purposes, but I am not her and she is much closer to her family then I am to mine so obviously she's ok with it..... And it's her/their lives, not mine

Old 04-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Gentry

I thought everyone who marries into the BRF has to have one. If that is the case, I guess Kate should have one. I like the story behind the coat of arms. However, I don't think her family should be using it. I have always admired the Middleton family, the way they ignore all those whispers and comments aimed at them, but I feel with this latest stunt the family is riding on Kate's gravy train.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Royal Wedding: Kate Middleton's coat of arms unveiled - hellomagazine.com
Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She can't use it after the wedding.
I'm fairly certain she can and will use it after the wedding.

The newly appointed coat of arms will be incorporated side by side with Williams. Impaled, if you will. Though the Queen must grant her consent which I'm sure she would.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Gentry

Coats of Arms have been used since medieval times to move certain families up the social ladder. The Middletons are really not doing anything new.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't believe she HAS to have one.

She can't use it after the wedding. Think of it as a family business logo. Anyone can commission a coat of arms, BTW.
Yes I'm slightly puzzled as to when or why she would use it once she is married- I guess it is a gift for thefamily. It is a lovely design though.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Well, for one....TRF would use the new Coat of Arms when she gets her own Current Events thread...but I doubt she realizes that.

I think its a good thing to have...doesn't she get a flag of some sorts when she becomes Princess of Wales or Queen. Didn't the Queen Mother have a coat of arms that was draped on her coffin?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Yes I'm slightly puzzled as to when or why she would use it once she is married- I guess it is a gift for thefamily. It is a lovely design though.

because after her marriage Catherine Middleton will place her (her families) arms beside those of her husband in what is known as an impaled coat of arms. Showing the two as one.This will require a royal warrant from the Queen

here is an expample of The Prince and Princess of Wales while they were mairred http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1
Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Nobility

I read previously on this forum by those in the know that Kate's father had to be the one to apply. Kate could not do so on her own. In future generations, the arms may only pass through her brother. It's one of those male chauvinistic traditions. :P
Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Queen hosts Kate Middleton's parents for lunch *| ajc.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-32917_16...-10391716.html
Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

So the Middleton's finally met the Quenn. Funny enough those so called Royal reporters that once said The Queen was schocked by Carole' behaviour won't acknowledge the mistake. I didn't need to go further for more examples.

One day befor their private meeting, take a look what a newspaper printed :

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Why hasn't the Queen met Kate's mum?

So... For those that believe everyting papers say. I suggest waiting for 1 extra day. They will contradict themself soon enough :)
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

When it was reported the Queen was shocked by Carole's behaviour, did they say they'd met? Because I remember one article once about everyone being shocked and upset Carole was chewing gum at an event, was that what they mean?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Nobility

If you looked at every individual who has married into the royal family at least in modern times, they place their family crest next to their husband's and that becomes their royal coat of arms. Besides that fact anyone can get a coat of arms if they qualify. It doesn't bother me that the Middletons have a family crest. They created one and now get to pass it to other generations through James. It's pretty cool if you ask me. Why can't they have one? Why shouldn't they use one? It's not only meant for royals. Or aristocracy for that matter.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
I read previously on this forum by those in the know that Kate's father had to be the one to apply. Kate could not do so on her own. In future generations, the arms may only pass through her brother. It's one of those male chauvinistic traditions. :P
I'm pretty sure individuals can apply for coats of arms in their own names - I think some surprise has been implied in articles because Papa Middleton has applied for one, rather than Catherine alone. This means that the coat of arms may be used by other family members. Pippa Middleton is able to use it for as long as she is unmarried.

Only James is allowed to use it in a shield form - only men are allowed to use the shield formation. Women have to use 'lozenges' - that rather fancy shape in the article illustrations. This is less to do with male chauvinism but more to do with regulatory constraints within heraldry.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
When it was reported the Queen was shocked by Carole's behaviour, did they say they'd met? Because I remember one article once about everyone being shocked and upset Carole was chewing gum at an event, was that what they mean?
At the time it was reported (Incorrectly it seems) that in addition to the chewing of the nicotine gum (as Carole was trying to wean herself off smoking) that she offended the Queen by using the word toilet or lavatory (whatever term that is not used by the upper classes). So the question is....in what context or planet would Carole reference the bathroom in discussion with the Queen.

Either way, it appears that until today they have never met.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
oh yes! The nicotine gum was one bit of the story. Is hard to find it online but I remember reading The Queen was horrified after Mrs Middleton used words such as "toilet" and "pardon".
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Courtier

we should have a rumor vs truth thread, where we should list all the rumors that were later proved to be untrue (or true) along with the evidence! it would give such a better picture of their relationship!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Nobility

it will be hilarious if we all end up in the rumor's threat >.<
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Royal Highness

Must be the new austerity

"Michael and Carole Middleton were ushered into Windsor Castle shortly after midday for a light lunch. They sipped tea and ate sandwiches, staying for at least an hour."

What? No meat and two veg?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Majesty

"Is it true, Your Majesty, that--as your former daughter-in-law Sarah said--the toilets in Buck House have pull cords?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
So the question is....in what context or planet would Carole reference the bathroom in discussion with the Queen.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth