The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

It has already been stated the Middleton's have given exclusives to HELLO. The only thing that sells papers are engagement or wedding stories - the general public is not interested in the Middleton family or their business. And again the press do not benefit themselves from talking about the Middleton's business enterprises.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
All I seem to see is that people want to believe the worst of the Middletons and not put the blame where it belongs - the medias determination to make a sale to the public and write what sells.
Of course the media wants to make sales and augment them too.
The Middletons have surely had fringe benefits from any article mentioning their daughter and Prince William, as almost every time in these articles in one way or another their online business is mentioned, by that I don´t mean the media publish their website or anything like that.
The Middletons didn´t become well off from their daughter´s fame, as the buying of a better house and moving to a better area as well as paying for expensive education for all three offspring proves, but I am sure that many people had never heard of their business before Kate met Prince William and probably or possibly , they have had increased sales, which would be a natural spin off from their company being mentioned so often.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I would certainly think that James Middletons exclusive in HELLO promoting his cake business can be seen as "The Middletons are using the press".
Its the question of hen and egg, what came first. Did HELLO approach James first, possibly. But he could have said no because of his sisters connections.

Its down to how you define "use". The Middletons benefit from the media thanks to Kate, eg who would know about James's cakes if not for HELLOs coverage and the media benefit from the Middletons because everything that has to do with Kate sells.

Its a winwin situation, they are using each other and both benefit from it
Old 10-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Royal Highness

At a time of global economic crisis I am glad to hear that somebody is thriving in business whether in cakes or tarts!!!! sheesh!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
At a time of global economic crisis I am glad to hear that somebody is thriving in business whether in cakes or tarts!!!! sheesh!
There's a huge market this time of year for places that primarily are for party supplies. Halloween (Samhain), Thanksgiving here in the States and of course Yule(Christmas) and I'm not overly familiar with the different holidays the UK has coming up such as Boxing Day etc.

Its not only cakes and tarts and ediblies but the overall theme things such as candles, tablecloths, costumes. It IS a big help for those that are planning THE perfect party and looking for a one stop shop.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Gentry

[QUOTE=Wait until QEII is no more. Charles will have to fasten his seatbelt and he will have to say goodbye to various privileges that have only been kept so far out of respect for HM. Charles will be the first modern monarch to be openly questioned and I also believe that the anti Camilla resentment will come through again, people not wanting her to bear the title Queen, there already is a separate thread for this topic.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Prince Charles is not seen as an affectionate (or dignified) figure that the public will want to continue paying taxes for. Camilla will definitely not be seen as an interesting or Queenly figure either. I'm afraid their reputations are beyond repair. I just hope prince William/Harry will be enough to keep the monarchy alive.

On Kate's family... Lol. They are so many non-royal families who go through "that girl/boy's family isn't good enough for my child!". However, this is not a private family. So we can act petty

I can't believe James Middleton has a cake business. haha! that's so funny. I've always sensed an opportunist quality to the Middleton family. But, the royals have never been able to escape opportunist people in any generation it seems
Old 10-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaristocratx View Post
I agree. Prince Charles is not seen as an affectionate (or dignified) figure that the public will want to continue paying taxes for. Camilla will definitely not be seen as an interesting or Queenly figure either. I'm afraid their reputations are beyond repair. I just hope prince William/Harry will be enough to keep the monarchy alive.
How do you know these things are definete? And their reputations are beyong repair?
If people will not pay for Charles, then William and Harry will have nothing to save.

Quote:
However, this is not a private family. So we can act petty
This family is not private, in what way are they not?

Quote:
I can't believe James Middleton has a cake business. haha! that's so funny. I've always sensed an opportunist quality to the Middleton family. But, the royals have never been able to escape opportunist people in any generation it seems
He's making a living for himself, what is so funny about that?
I wouldn't call Prince Phillip, nor Elizabeth-Bowes-Lyons, nor Timothy Laurence, nor Peter Phillips, nor Sophie Rhys-Jones as oppurtunist people.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Gentry

Yes, I am afraid that William and Harry won't have anything to save. I know Canada loves the Queen--Prince Charles and Camilla, not so much. We've been close to separating many times. I just can't picture Charles having the command and presence that it would take to make the commonwealth stay connected to Britain...

No, the Middleton's aren't private. It isn't their fault, but you can't blame people for speculating about royal relationships and if the family is good enough. It has been going on probably since the first royal marriage haha.

Exploiting a "cake business" just sounds amusing. I don't know why Prince Phillip would be opportunist? and as to the others, I don't know who they are.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Not to be totally off topic but Phillip (or at least Louis Mountbatten) was considered an opportunist because Phillip while royal had no money and no country to speak of. No one is not saying that he didn't add anything to the BRF but he definitely gained a lot. And many (including the Queen Mother) didn't appreciate that Mountbatten was extremely agressive pushing Phillip as a potential Prince Consort. Or his statement when Elizabeth and Phillip married that this was the start of the House of Mountbatten (or Windsor Mountbatten). And the same when Mountbatten tried to push his granddaughter on Charles. So yes, there were certainly claims of opportunism when Phillip married Elizabeth.

And with all due respect, whether or not there is a Commonwealth sounds like there a lot of issues that have nothing to do with Charles. I can certainly understand why Canada and Australia would prefer not to be associated with the UK but that nothing to do with Charles, and that is best discussed The Queen and Canada, Residences, Governor General, etc... and http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-16252-11.html.

I wouldn't categorize the others as opportunist as well. I don't think Kate's family is as well. They certainly have benefited from the exposure but I don't think they seek the media as much as people say they do. But of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. But its interesting that no specific statements and/or proof have been provided to support their claim.

Also, Elizabeth Bowles Lyon is the maiden name to the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. The Bowles Lyon family has a rich history, money and land. She initially didn't want to marry George VI because of who he was. Wasn't prepared to give up her private life....if she only knew!

Peter Phillips is the son of The Princess Royal. Timothy Laurence is her second husband.

Sophie Rhys Jones is The Countess of Wessex, married to Prince Edward.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

I don't see Kate or her family being opportunists or using the royal family for their own personal gain. If they were, their behavior and actions taken would be much different.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Gentry

Thank you Zonk for telling me who they were. "Reality" doesn't seem to have much to do with speculating on the people who marry into royal families. I think every generation is overly critical. I don't think it's a big deal.

However, I do think Prince Charles will be the last straw that pushes the commonwealth into separating. Obviously he isn't the only reason. I'm sure Britain has the same issue. How can you be in a democracy and still pay to have royalty around ect. it is a hard case to argue. I believe the only reason Canada is still connected to Britain is because we're fond of the Queen and the fantasy of royalty. Shallow reasons, and Charles and Camilla just don't have much fantasy appeal.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Well you are certainly welcome to your opinion and the right to discuss that in the right thread

And if the Middleton's were/are opportunists...they certainly join the ranks of great families in using the BRF for a variety of reasons: the Bolyens, those crazy and wacky Howards (what would history be without them), the Nevilles, the family of Anne of York (1st wife of James II), the Duchess of Cambridge (one of Victoria's crazy uncle's wife), etc. Goodness, can't forget those crazy Seymours as well! Throwing your nice innocent daughter/neice in the path of that crazy Henry VIII. I wouldn't let him marry my cat!

They certainly have a great company.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Gentry

haha! I loved the cat comment.

opportunists are definitely more entertaining to talk about!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness

This is a little off topic but did Prince Charles ever socialize or date Lord Mountbatten's granddaughter? Just curious.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Administrator

I think they went out a couple of times but she wasn't keen on a royal life and Charles's heart wasn't in it.

I do think he might have married her if Mountbatten didn't die. Provided she wanted to marry him as well. He was very close and greatly influenced by his Great Uncle.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

We aren't really "connected to Britain." We've had political independence for quite awhile. Same with having a home-grown Governor General, although I wouldn't be opposed to having a member of the RF as GG. HM's position as our Queen is independent to her role as Sovereign of the United Kingdom.

The Crown referred to in terms such as Crown Attorney, Crown Lands, etc., is Canada's Crown. It has nothing to do with the UK.

Quote:
I believe the only reason Canada is still connected to Britain is because we're fond of the Queen and the fantasy of royalty.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yes, I am afraid that William and Harry won't have anything to save. I know Canada loves the Queen--Prince Charles and Camilla, not so much. We've been close to separating many times. I just can't picture Charles having the command and presence that it would take to make the commonwealth stay connected to Britain...
That's the commonwealth, not the UK. So William and Harry will have something to save.

Quote:
No, the Middleton's aren't private. It isn't their fault, but you can't blame people for speculating about royal relationships and if the family is good enough. It has been going on probably since the first royal marriage haha.
I'm confused, Middletons aren't private because other people speculate about the royal marriage?
They are a private family, especially Kate who has never spoke to the press about her relationship with William and to give them credit neither has her family. So again I ask, How is her family not private?

Quote:
Exploiting a "cake business" just sounds amusing. I don't know why Prince Phillip would be opportunist? and as to the others, I don't know who they are.
You said

Quote:
have never been able to escape opportunist people in any generation it seems
so I listed the people who have entered the royal family in the past generation and neither of them I consider as oppurtunist. Louis Mountbatten was oppurtunist was on behalf of his nephew, but IMO I din't think Phillip was.
I meant Mark Phillips, Princess Anne's first husband and not her son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Peter Phillips is the son of The Princess Royal. Timothy Laurence is her second husband.
Thank you for explaining, but I got mixed up, I meant to talk about Mark.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That's the commonwealth, not the UK. So William and Harry will have something to save.
it seems likely that the UK and the commonwealth will completely sever ties with the British monarchy in the near future. I hope that doesn't happen, but it is a modern world now, and I don't see Prince Charles as the great modern savior of the monarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm confused, Middletons aren't private because other people speculate about the royal marriage?
They are a private family, especially Kate who has never spoke to the press about her relationship with William and to give them credit neither has her family. So again I ask, How is her family not private?
Well, Kate's mother does go to events where there is media. To date a royal person is to be and have your family in the spotlight. Any person in relation to someone famous unfortunately loses anonymity. But I don't agree with harassing anyone's family as the media does. I think people on a forum who want to talk about or criticize the middleton family are harmless.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
it seems likely that the UK and the commonwealth will completely sever ties with the British monarchy in the near future. I hope that doesn't happen, but it is a modern world now, and I don't see Prince Charles as the great modern savior of the monarchy .

It is hard when aged 60+ to be seen as a modern saviour but that was exactly how he was seen in his 20s and 30s. By the time William becomes King he will be close to Charles current age in all probability and it won't be William who is seen as the modernising future but his heir.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It is hard when aged 60+ to be seen as a modern saviour but that was exactly how he was seen in his 20s and 30s. By the time William becomes King he will be close to Charles current age in all probability and it won't be William who is seen as the modernising future but his heir.

This is a great point bertie ...not that I wish ill health or bad to Prince Charles but if there wa another way besides death ... I would love to see William as a young King ...

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth