The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

We all have odd bodes in our families I defy anyone who says otherwise and unfortunately they become the topic of public debate when one puts oneself out there. Am sure the Middletons are no different from any of use in the ordinary world we live in..... but what ever they do and whatever we were to do in their situation would be seen as capitalising on the connections. And this is only IMO but I doubt I would be any different just going about my business supporting my children and family.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westminster View Post
Not to go to the press and say "I'm Kate Middleton and I'm in love with Prince William" is not everything to be discrete! Depends on what definition you have. A uncle who talks in private to more or less strangers and says yes, my niece will be maybe some day Queen of England and Prince William was here in my house, is indiscrete and showy as well. No manners in my opinion and acting just like a parvenu does. The Middletons have become some sort of celebrities, I don't know anybody of the Rhys-Jones-Family. Gum chewing Carole, Uncle Gary with the drugs, sister Pippa who's on the search for a wealthy guy, uncle James in woman clothes... Yes, I think they are predestined to fill the tabloids.
James’ pictures where private pictures leaked by some untrustworthy friends: they were supposed to be fun, not cause embarrassment to Kate or anyone. I have a lot of fun pictures with my friends, which I wouldn’t like to see on the front pages of newspapers: I hope that does not make me a bad or indiscreet person.

So far, I haven’t seen any of the Middleton’s enjoying any sort of benefits because of Kate’s relationship with Prince William. True, they might now enjoy prominence which doesn’t correspond to their ‘social status’, but that’s not really their fault, is it? If anything, they have certainly suffered a great deal of discomfort, especially Kate, who has been dubbed anything from ‘waity’ to ‘mattress’ over these years, and as a woman myself, I can only imagine her feelings, and the feelings of her family members, upon reading such ‘nicknames’.

Frankly, it is not their fault the press follows them everywhere. I’d call the Middletons, as well all the friends of the family, very discreet indeed, especially considering the circumstances.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Courtier

[

Well Marsel, I would say you are perfectly safe as long as you have no aspirations of being a future Queen of England.
What for a normal person is being discreet, in royal circles perhaps they have other ideas.
As far as perks are concerned, I have a certain picture of Kate´s sister wanting two royal princesses to move up so that she could sit in the front row of a fashion show, a tiny bit presumptious I thought. Obviously they thought so too as they didn´t move up.
So far the only member of that family I could even mention when it comes to discretion is the Middleton pater whom I don´t think I have even seen a photo of.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Not to go to the press and say "I'm Kate Middleton and I'm in love with Prince William" is not everything to be discrete! Depends on what definition you have. A uncle who talks in private to more or less strangers and says yes, my niece will be maybe some day Queen of England and Prince William was here in my house, is indiscrete and showy as well. No manners in my opinion and acting just like a parvenu does. The Middletons have become some sort of celebrities, I don't know anybody of the Rhys-Jones-Family. Gum chewing Carole, Uncle Gary with the drugs, sister Pippa who's on the search for a wealthy guy, uncle James in woman clothes... Yes, I think they are predestined to fill the tabloids.
Princess Diana's uncle, Lord Fermoy, was boasting about the virginity of his niece. I find that distasteful personally. And then Lord Fermoy obviously had some other problems since he committed suicide while Diana was pregnant with Harry. I'm sure there's stories there that could/did fill tabloids.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I think when Sophie and Edward finally got engaged there were stories about the Rhy Jones family, a sort of this is where she comes from. The same type of stories that were similiar about the Spencer siblings and Jane Ferguson. But let's face it, Sophie's family (particulary her brother and sister in law) weren't young, rich and interesting. Not to slam them, they appear to be hard working individuals. And honestly, the press and the interest of young royals in 2009 (as well as those who in their crowd) is vastly different from 1981, 1986 and 1999.

I think we have all been around long enough to recognize that the press will ignore a nicely dressed man who does good work (Charles, Frederick, Willem Alexanders, Haakon, Felipe) to focus on a young beautiful and nicely dressed woman (Diana, Mary, Maxima, Mary and Letizia) who does good work. Women buy magazines and newspapers devoted to to life style royals as well as fashion magazines. Men typically dont.

Pippa to some is interesting. The same way that Telma and the late Erica Ortiz were/are interesting to the Spanish press. Is Pippa not supposed to go out because the press is angling for a picture? And who says she is angling for a rich man, do we know EVERY man she has dated?

I would agree that asking two royal women to move up so she can sit on the front row of a fashion is a bit of something? But do we know all the facts. How do we know she wasnt told that she could sit in the front row, and then when she got there was told there was not enough room. That has certainly happened to me on occassion and I stand uncomfortably to the side waiting for it to be sorted out.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't cry for the Middleton's Marsel. I'm sure the benefits of being linked to Royalty have far outweighed any supposed inconvenience and it certainly hasn't hurt their family business.

One thing I want to address because it keeps coming up is the whole word usage (toilet, pardon me, etc) issue. I think it's all rather trivial and petty and all it does is make the Royal Family and their circle sound snobbish and judgmental which I don't think they are. If William doesn't marry Kate it certainly won't be because of these minor trivial things. I agree with Skydragon that the press made it all up including the so-called gum chewing issue.

Quote:
Not to go to the press and say "I'm Kate Middleton and I'm in love with Prince William" is not everything to be discrete! Depends on what definition you have. A uncle who talks in private to more or less strangers and says yes, my niece will be maybe some day Queen of England and Prince William was here in my house, is indiscrete and showy as well. No manners in my opinion and acting just like a parvenu does. The Middletons have become some sort of celebrities, I don't know anybody of the Rhys-Jones-Family.
I agree, there are other ways of mingling with the press and for the record Carol Middleton gave an interview at the end of last year. And it doesn't matter that she didn't talk specifically about William. When you're linked to royalty the #1 rule is "no talking to the press".
You also make a good point about Sophie. She and Edward also dated a long time and at the time they were the only "couple" in the royal family so the press certainly was interested in her and I'm sure tried to get stuff on her. But Sophie and her family managed to stay out of the press. And it turned out to be a foretelling of who she is because she (and her family) still stay out of the press and haven't caused any scandals or unnecessary gossip.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Administrator

What interview did Carole Middleton give last year? Can you provide a link?

I am very curious to see what Mrs. Middleton had to say.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

That's not exactly true about Sophie staying out of the press. Remember her Arab sheik comments and her comments about various members of the Royal Family? And denying that her husband is gay??
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

And there was the HELLO! spread for a children's charity (can't remember the name) that she was hugely criticized for. She was doing PR work for the charity. And there was a high-profile fashion spread at around the same time in which she was in semi-regal poses. Sophie got criticism for trading on her Royal connections long before she was even engaged. Even so, I've liked Sophie all along and thought that she had character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
That's not exactly true about Sophie staying out of the press. Remember her Arab sheik comments and her comments about various members of the Royal Family? And denying that her husband is gay??
Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Courtier

Kate Middleton’s Mom Talked Up About Impact of Public Scrutiny Zonk I think this is the story that is being refered too. There was more she said but it was over a year ago she made comments about other personal parts of their relaitonship but I can't remember just what she said.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Majesty

There was some interview of something where she expressed doubts about Kate and William getting married but I don't remember when it was or why it was made but I do remember reading it.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
[

Well Marsel, I would say you are perfectly safe as long as you have no aspirations of being a future Queen of England.
What for a normal person is being discreet, in royal circles perhaps they have other ideas.
Thats exactly what I wanted to say, thanks!

Quote:
As far as perks are concerned, I have a certain picture of Kate´s sister wanting two royal princesses to move up so that she could sit in the front row of a fashion show, a tiny bit presumptious I thought. Obviously they thought so too as they didn´t move up.
So far the only member of that family I could even mention when it comes to discretion is the Middleton pater whom I don´t think I have even seen a photo of.
Good example and of course I agree with the last sentence. It is said every family has his black sheep, but when it comes to the Middletons I ask myself: who in this family ISN'T a black sheep? Kate maybe.

Marsel, what you said is of course right, but my feelings about this family is that they're quite pushy, they remind me on the Boleyns how they were portrayed in this Tudor-serial. Of course I don't know them personally and only seen pictures, but ...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks for providing some information on this interview Lady Ann.

I am not sure that I would consider this blog a legit news source although looking at some of the other headlines on this site it looks like they get a lot of their information from places such as People, Daily Magainze, usmagazine, woman's day, etc.

If this was an interview, I am assuming that this was published in a newspaper or magazine.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I never spoke of Sophie, I ment her family, her father, mother, aunts, uncles, silblings. Her family seems to be very discrete, I never seen anybody of them in the tabloids nor on pictures generally.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Thanks for providing some information on this interview Lady Ann.

I am not sure that I would consider this blog a legit news source although looking at some of the other headlines on this site it looks like they get a lot of their information from places such as People, Daily Magainze, usmagazine, woman's day, etc.
Yes I beleive it was in some paper such as DM last year.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator

So apparently this "interview" happend in June of 2008 when Mrs. Middleton spoke to a Daily Telegraph reporter.

Kate Middleton's 'vulnerable' mother speaks out for first time - Telegraph

While I wouldn't characterize this had a good thing to do, nor would I consider it to be a bad one. The way people were talking about her alleged offense (along with the chewing of nicotine gum), I thought she was giving specifics about Kate's relationship with William.

Again, it appears to be much ado about nothing. Simply put, some people don't care for the Middletons (which is their right).

I think we would all agree that whatever your opinion is on the Middletons (or a variety of different subjects) if one wanted to find "proof" to discredit or support them, it can be found on the internet.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

We did see her parading in underwear though, and that was when she first, it is said, attracted the attention of Prince William......
Also Sophie´s family have stayed very much in the background, if her mother chews gum no one knows it, if she has a brother who likes to dress up as a woman and have his picture taken, we just don´t know.
Discretion if a very big asset when aspiring to join the BRF, at least as a close relative. Being classy helps too.
There is a difference between posing topless for pictures on the beach (Sophie) and a student fashion show for charity.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
There is a difference between posing topless for pictures on the beach (Sophie) and a student fashion show for charity.

Either way neither was a member of the Royal family at the time - or even dating a royal (although William was present when Kate did parade in her lingerie).

I don't see the problem for either of them.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Courtier

Quite the opposite of a problem for Kate. It is said that it was at this underwear fashion show (for charity or not) that Prince William was first attracted to her or perhaps that was when Kate attracted Prince William´s attention.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Either way neither was a member of the Royal family at the time - or even dating a royal (although William was present when Kate did parade in her lingerie).

I don't see the problem for either of them.
I wonder how many can hold their hands up and say they have never worn a bikini, because I can't see much difference between them. Even Diana wore bikinis before she was married.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth