The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Courtier

I will forgive "pardon" (by the way that is far worse than saying "pardon me") willingly, the problem is, will the royal circle of friends ever forget it?
As to most of the stories about Carole and Kate being made up, does that mean that Uncle Gary doesn´t exist?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Did the royal circle of friends ever hear it? The alleged meeting between Carole and HM was denied by Mrs Middleton. So, no meeting, no 'misuse' of any words. IME, some members of the royal circle use words that would make a Sergeant Major blush.

I don't believe William, his friends or the born royals would judge anyone in such a way, nor do I think anyone 'in the know' gave this story to the media!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Did the royal circle of friends ever hear it? The alleged meeting between Carole and HM was denied by Mrs Middleton. So, no meeting, no 'misuse' of any words. IME, some members of the royal circle use words that would make a Sergeant Major blush.
Especially out hunting

But, she did chew gum at Sandhurst, seen by many and photographed. Uncle Gary is a real person too, I think.

I don´t believe for one second that Carole met HM, but I am sure there were plenty of people to whisper into the ears of people surrounding the circle
who would be more than willing to gossip. She might have used these expressions at the PT meetings of the very posh school her children went to.
They didn´t have to be uttered in THE presence.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm still not clear what difference it would make if it was found that Mrs Middleton was a descendant of William the Conqueror or Henry I. Would the people who shudder at lower-middle-class or working-class habits, or social-climber pretensions, be more inclined to look favourably on her if it was found that she had a royal ancestor a thousand years ago?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I'm still not clear what difference it would make if it was found that Mrs Middleton was a descendant of William the Conqueror or Henry I. Would the people who shudder at lower-middle-class or working-class habits, or social-climber pretensions, be more inclined to look favourably on her if it was found that she had a royal ancestor a thousand years ago?

Of course not. It is nothing to do with origins, it is the whiff of being common that is a major sin for anyone with social climbing pretensions.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think in some ways part of the problem with the perception of the Middletons is that Kate and William met at university, before she'd had a chance to strike out on her own. To me, her background isn't that different from Sophie's (Sophie's ancient royal connection notwithstanding) but Sophie had spent some years away from home and had carved out her own identity separate from her family, so her family was less of an issue. I just wonder, if Sophie and Edward had started dating when Sophie was still living at home and only just out of school, whether more would have been made of her retired-salesman father who'd given himself a double-barrelled name because it sounded posher than just Jones.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Courtier

[ I agree, it did make it harder. But it has been years now of neither here nor there.
Sophie had a another advantage, the Queen seemed to take to her very quickly and has shown that she is very fond of her since Prince Edward first started dating her.
And of course we haven´t seen her uncles
Old 10-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Would it also be that Prince Edward, although being a son of the Monarch has very scant chances of ever reigning, while William's choice will be someday Queen of England?
Old 10-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

A very good point, obviously, Odette! I would think that has a big advantage.... Just IMHO, of course. :)
Old 10-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
[ I agree, it did make it harder. But it has been years now of neither here nor there.
Sophie had a another advantage, the Queen seemed to take to her very quickly and has shown that she is very fond of her since Prince Edward first started dating her.
And of course we haven´t seen her uncles
.... and nor have we seen Kate bare breasted as we saw pictures of Sophie topless!

I do think it is a fair point that the focus on the tabloids on the Middleton family is because they have little else to whinge about in this context.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Courtier

We did see her parading in underwear though, and that was when she first, it is said, attracted the attention of Prince William......
Also Sophie´s family have stayed very much in the background, if her mother chews gum no one knows it, if she has a brother who likes to dress up as a woman and have his picture taken, we just don´t know.
Discretion if a very big asset when aspiring to join the BRF, at least as a close relative. Being classy helps too.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Administrator

If William chooses to marry Kate's mother, or her brother, or her uncle, you'll have something to worry about then.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

If William chooses to marry Kate's mother, or her brother, or her uncle, you'll have something to worry about then.
1. Kate´s mother................ is married
2. Her brother.................... William doesn´t seem to be so inclined.
3. Uncle Gary?....................
Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Ahem. Well, for me the Middleton-family really doesn't seem discrete. If Kate is different from them or not, I do see that this could be a problem in the future, but JMO.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

But, she did chew gum at Sandhurst, seen by many and photographed. Uncle Gary is a real person too, I think.

I don´t believe for one second that Carole met HM, but I am sure there were plenty of people to whisper into the ears of people surrounding the circle
who would be more than willing to gossip. She might have used these expressions at the PT meetings of the very posh school her children went to.
They didn´t have to be uttered in THE presence.

Kate's parents was at Sandhurst and Queen was there too. Didn't Middletons introduced then?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Warren you are too funny! LOL Smiles : )
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator

How are the Middleton family not discrete? Can someone provide the sources where Kate's family gave an interview regarding her relationship with Prince William?

Does chewing gum in public make you discrete? I would hardly list the chewing of gum as a serious offence. Bad judgement but hardly something that makes ones family unsuitable.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton's cover of a new magazine (12/10/2009).

The special girl in Simon's life attends his 50th and at home with Jo Wood only in HELLO!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Aristocracy

Not to go to the press and say "I'm Kate Middleton and I'm in love with Prince William" is not everything to be discrete! Depends on what definition you have. A uncle who talks in private to more or less strangers and says yes, my niece will be maybe some day Queen of England and Prince William was here in my house, is indiscrete and showy as well. No manners in my opinion and acting just like a parvenu does. The Middletons have become some sort of celebrities, I don't know anybody of the Rhys-Jones-Family. Gum chewing Carole, Uncle Gary with the drugs, sister Pippa who's on the search for a wealthy guy, uncle James in woman clothes... Yes, I think they are predestined to fill the tabloids.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

ITA. I don't see the Middletons as particularly discrete either.

In today's media obsessed world it sometimes seems as though just because somebody doesn't overtly seek out the press, like Paris Hilton or Katie Price, then they are viewed as discrete or dignified.

PS- I'm not comparing Kate to the 2 aforementioned ladies, I used them as examples.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth