The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Aristocracy

Kate Middleton's drug-dealer uncle 'was warned by security chiefs to change his lifestyle' | Mail Online

Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Serene Highness

The Middletons, overall decent, middle class family, got a black sheep, uncle Gary. Agreed, every family has a black sheep.
I don't think that it make William not to marry Kate. He may not marry her but only because he is not at this point of his life he would want to marry anyone. So, Kate and William relationship is likely to be OK, regardless uncle Gary, but for sure the tabloids will have something to write about during rather boring summer season.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The snobs can sneer all they like. But we should salute Kate Middleton's mother - and every other 'pushy parent' | Mail Online

Don't know what to make of that story. She is only trying to do best by her children but she may have gone a little too far.
Well of course he was. It's just surprised me that it has taken this long for this information to surface. Kate must be feeling quite awkward in royal company this weekend.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Eh, they're used to things like this. Camilla's son admitted to cocaine use, Harry was caught smoking pot.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Aristocracy

I guess I don't get the whole 'Doors To Manual' thing - I've never heard anyone say it while I was on a plane, and if it's supposed to be an insult, it makes no sense. Are they supposedly sneering at her because she worked on an airplane?
Is it some sort of British expression?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

It's because she worked as a flight attendant and was middle class. It's a class insult.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
It's because she worked as a flight attendant and was middle class. It's a class insult.
In a way you are right it was meant as an insult but being a flight attendant didn´t make her automatically middle class. Most of the upper classes wouldn´t look down on this profession, in fact I am sure some of the daughters of these classes have worked as flight attendants in fact it is is and was considered a very good job for a girl to see the world and look very beautiful and smart while doing it. The point with Carole is that she wasn´t middle class and unfortunately the article about her brother has brought this to the fore. I feel sorry for her as she was leaving all this behind her and if her daughter had started dating the son of an earl or even a duke nothing would have been noted probably but this unfortunate man (caught out by very tricky reporters) would be a disgrace for most families but when the niece has been pointed out as a future Queen of England it is a completely different scenario. I feel sorry for them, this has been a very severe blow and I don´t think many british people would be pleased at a Queen with this
obviously very low class uncle, who besides that seems allegedly to be indulging in illegal activities.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Kate must be feeling quite awkward in royal company this weekend.
I would think the royal family was very much aware of Uncle Gary long before the News of the World or the Mail. With the allegations that King Edward was a nazi supporter being aired again, Uncle Gary seems quite harmless.
-----------------------------------
As Kate Middleton's uncle Gary is alleged to take drugs, Kathy Lette recalls her own embarrassing relatives

Don't worry, Kate Middleton. My family is bleating with black sheep - Telegraph
Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I suppose your right, but the fact that it's in the newspaper now, must be causing a stir among the royals. But I can imagine that only a few close members of the royal family knew about Uncle Gary.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

If anyone knew about Uncle Gary it was probably the Queen, Prince Phillip and Prince Charles. What is Kate going to say if she knew? Oh, by the way...do you know my uncle sells drugs? Again, I stand by my point that the minders (security, the grey men in the Palace, etc.) knew but as long as it didn't compromise's Williams' security, he wasn't with the man all the time, etc. They were going to let it stay in teh background.

She probably had a hint something wasn't right...but lived by the motto...ask me no question and I will tell you no lies.

And yes, Camilla's son, Freddie Windsor, Harry, etc. Unfortunately, the use of illegal drugs is something that all classes seem to take part of. So again, if William and Kate don't marry or continue dating its not going to be because of the uncle.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

Kate Middleton's uncle, his ex-wife and the hellraising that tore them apart | Mail Online

How Many More Skeletons Does Kate Have in Her Closet?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ns-closet.html
Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Aristocracy

Regardless of how the press tries to sugarcoat this, it does not look good for the Middleton's.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am puzzled at the 'outrage', is William expected to marry Uncle Gary or Kate?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know - Tabloid stories aside ( good news doesn't sell as well as bad, so there will always be more bad stories than good ) if you read the comments at the bottom of the papers, I don't think there is that much outrage. Most people seem to say "every family has its black sheep" or what you said, he's not marrying Kates uncle.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Courtier

Of course William won´t be marrying Gary, but if he does decide to marry Kate he will be gaining an uncle and Gary will be gaining a very close family tie (bloodline as Gary himself said) to the BRF.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Of course William won´t be marrying Gary, but if he does decide to marry Kate he will be gaining an uncle and Gary will be gaining a very close family tie (bloodline as Gary himself said) to the BRF.
Sure, but what good is a bloodline if there is no access!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Courtier

I wasn´t referring to his getting a "Goldsmith wing" as he mentioned (even though jokingly) but an uncle, brother to your mother´s sister cannot be just ignored completely. He exists and will always exist even though members of his family have moved to higher circles. I am sure there are lots of people in the world who would like to pretend that some members of their family do not exist but it is a little difficult for the BRF.
I thought he seemed a jolly man, probably loads of fun, but Prince William went to stay with him, at least the paper said he did, so his family is definitely not ashamed of him, or they weren´t until now. I feel sorry for the man, he is definitely going to be in the family black book from now on and just for being his own friendly self.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMay View Post
Regardless of how the press tries to sugarcoat this, it does not look good for the Middleton's.
Thats quite right. These articles aren't very good.
In the How many MORE skeletons in the middleton closest?

"Each was iced with one of Hello!'s memorable front pages, several of them depicting members of the Royal Family, including - inevitably - Princess Diana"

No matter how hard Kate tries, the press will always bring her back to Diana. It's awful.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

As already pointed out, most family members, commoners or royals, have been dragged through the media with embarrassing stories before. Kate is in the loop for so long that people have an opinion about her and her family anyway, so who cares about uncle Gary. Everybody has more or less an uncle Gary in the family if there is a good effort of digging deep enough.

However, it's unfortunate. I think the less Kate is in the media, be it via uncle Gary (that's not her fault) or via kiss video that is being discussed in the current events thread, the better for her and the public opinion about her. I hope she won't return to her picture being all over the place on a daily basis.

The less I hear about Kate in her time as commoner the more I will like her as a princess, should this ever happen of course.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
I don't know - Tabloid stories aside ( good news doesn't sell as well as bad, so there will always be more bad stories than good ) if you read the comments at the bottom of the papers, I don't think there is that much outrage. Most people seem to say "every family has its black sheep" or what you said, he's not marrying Kates uncle.
I just read the article about "Uncle Gary" and I mostly agree, everyone has members of their family they wouldn't want the press to hear of.
It's sort of interesting that there's not much outrage in the comments, though--I've seen outrage in the comments about celebrities whose lives are no more chaotic than his. Maybe the truth is that no one has strong feelings about him.

I do agree that "Uncle Gary" has nothing to do with Kate's suitability for the royal family...but I'd have to qualify that by saying that looking at your future spouse's family history is sometimes important. So often, children follow the same patterns of behaviour as their parents. Statistics show that children of divorced parents are more likely to be divorced themselves, and I think that played out with both Diana and Sarah. Diana especially resorted to the vindictiveness she saw when her parents' marriage broke down. Obviously it doesn't mean that children will follow in the footsteps of their parents or that they can't avoid doing so, but it's hard to escape the influence of your parents. Kate's parents are together, (as far as I know?), so that's a good sign for a successful marriage between Kate and William.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth