The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2016, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think the media has ever published articles sneering at the ancestry and family of Michael Middleton, have they? There have been various news items over the years since Kate's engagement that have pointed to facets of the Middletons' middleclass past, and the general public have accepted it and not (in general) negatively commented on it. That would be the same with the Lupton connection. In other words, it's known that Mike Middleton's family were successful industrialists who led a comfortable upper middle class lifestyle.

It's been Carole Goldsmith's working class family background and her perceived social climbing that has drawn criticism, a sort of 'know your place and don't move upwards' view. I think, since the engagement, the tabloid media has concentrated more on stories of Carole (with the possible exception of Pippa) and various unfavourable reports of her brother Gary for example, inferring as clearly as they can, without breaking libel laws, that 'this family' (Carole's family) is 'as common as muck,' to use a working class English expression.

In other words, I don't think Lionel Lupton going to university with Albert Spencer would raise anybody's ire among the British public, but any stories of Carole's grandfather acting in an upperclass manner would.

In many ways the British media has played it both ways, with tales of Kate's coal mining ancestors to pacify readers who feel that the Royals are too remote, too posh, but also featuring stories of mill owners living country gentry lifestyles from Mike's side to placate readers who think the Goldsmiths were just too downmarket to be family to royals. (Remember James Whittaker's remarks before the engagement?)

Old 07-05-2016, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Some of James less than flattering comments. The Middletons were in good company, he took swipes at royals and commoners alike.

James Whitaker: Listen to his frank insight on Kate Middleton, Pippa Middleton, Prince William, Prince Charles and Princess Diana - Mirror Online

I honestly think it was knowing that no one really wants the Cinderella any more. The Cinderella looks like a gold digger now a days, a social climber out for a man for his money. But they didn't want her painted as a snobby socialite. So they show both sides. Her mother's working class roots, and her father's landed gentry (Lupton) and solicitor (Middleton) roots. And of course emphasizing the airline workers who built a huge company. Teamed with Kate having an education and some work history, was an attempt at a more modern middle class Cinderella.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

As the French say 'tout le monde descend d'un roi et d'un pendu'

It applies to the Queen's family as much as it does to the Middletons, the Rhys-Jones, Chelsy Davy's family or Cressida's family.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
The tabloids weren't trying to sell Kate has a simple girl, they were trying to shame Carole from being descendant of miners, being born or living in council house but yet not knowing her place in society by having the nerve to have a successful business. They never went after Michael side of the family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Olive is Michael Middleton's side of the family. His side was business type people with some money. It's Carole's side that was the coal miners from Durham working class side. Both her sides of the family were lower income working class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It's been Carole Goldsmith's working class family background and her perceived social climbing that has drawn criticism, a sort of 'know your place and don't move upwards' view. I think, since the engagement, the tabloid media has concentrated more on stories of Carole (with the possible exception of Pippa) and various unfavourable reports of her brother Gary for example, inferring as clearly as they can, without breaking libel laws, that 'this family' (Carole's family) is 'as common as muck,' to use a working class English expression.
Explains a lot. I have witnessed some really vicious posting about Carole.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
True that. The level of viciousness I regularly see about Catherine and her family tends to make me think better of them; the people who criticize them so crudely, meanly, and relentlessly undermine their own criticism by doing so.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I've seen similar remarks regarding Queen Letizia's background.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

What is the opinion about who really is attackinf Carole? Is it the British media or is it everyday people? Is it upper class people who work in journalism?
Like every one else I see that Carole is the only one who is attacked and it has really given me a skewed view of class systems in GB. But I really am interested in knowing who exactly are the people who have a problem with Carole "not knowing her place".
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

It's inverse snobbery, plain and simple. The Middletons move freely with the upper classes. While at university, Pippa was roommates with Earl Percy and Lord Innes-Ker.

This is 2016, the traditional class system doesn't exist.

We must remember, 'posh' Cressida Bonas' father comes from a line of South Battersea butchers.

Carole is at Wimbledon today, enjoying life, while the haters stick pins in their Middleton dolls.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Donna Air sparks James Middleton wedding rumours | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 AM
Heir Apparent

How Carole Middleton was 'mastermind' behind daughter Pippa's engagement to James Matthews
Old 08-01-2016, 04:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

If Carole Middleton was half as good at arranging outcomes and plotting as the tabloids seem to think she is, she'd be prime minister by now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-01-2016, 04:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
If Carole Middleton was half as good at arranging outcomes and plotting as the tabloids seem to think she is, she'd be prime minister by now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Hahah, how very true. So pathetic. Not gonna warrant a click, that one! I mean, is it so hard to belive that 2 rich girls going to fancy schools would happen to meet and date rich guys hanging out with their rich friends? I mean... ofc they could have met someone totally different, but the odds that you get together with someone from similar circumstances who have mutual friends or interest etc is how it usually works. I mean, you cant get together with people you dont meet and hang out with.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Over the years of watching and observing the Middleton family, their closeness and their success in their business and watching how their three children conduct themselves and what they do with their lives, the *last* thing I would be able to say is that they've used their children as pawns on a chessboard.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-01-2016, 05:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes, I think that calling her a mastermind might be a bit of an exaggeration, but she has only had three people to focus on: her children, particularly her two daughters. She hasn't had to make and sell policies to solve the nation's unemployment problem, just create opportunities for her two daughters to be in the right place at the right time and provide them with the skills they needed to take advantage of the opportunities that presented themselves. Ultimately it was up to her girls to seal the deals though. If she was a real mastermind, the three children would be running multi-million dollar enterprises themselves and not just marrying well or making printed marshmallows.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Guessing this Exclusive stems back to the other mastermind plot in 2007 when she plotted to bring William and Kate back together at some family BBQ in Bucklebury or some such thing.

I'm not doubting the event did occur - but the fact that William was at it in the first place would suggest Kate and himself were working things out by themselves.

Carole gets a lot of bad press, even her own family have dissed her to the press! But masterminding her daughters marriages is a stretch too far..... accomodating them maybe!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Courtier

I wouldn't call a distant cousin that she has never met a family member. Nor "family sources" anything
Old 08-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

The media gave Mrs. Middleton a bad rep many years ago. Now that Pippa is getting married, of course the media would come up with another story about how Carole was behind all this.

All Mr. and Mrs. Middleton did was provide well for their family, the rest was up to the kids. Destiny will take you down some very interesting paths.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Brilliant statement. You are so correct. Media just doesn't care for the Middletons as they really haven't put a bad foot forwards to embarrass the Queen which really upsets them. Any story that they yelled about {saying toilet at Palace} was proven to be a lie and that reporter fired when proven it was made up for fun. Actually Carole and husband just go along with their personal lives with a smile and could care less about the media. Good for them. They have more class than the ones writing about their every move. Plus the Middletons have made their own money properly.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Nobility

I think a lot of it is what was once described to me as "Tall Poppy " syndrome. People who rise above everyone else are put down by those who have not risen that far. As Deman says, the Middleton's have worked hard, and provided all their children with a good education and the chances they may not have had otherwise.
Instead of people, and not anyone here, critcising them for what they have done, they should be thinking " Okay my daughter can't become Queen of England , but I can try to make sure her life is better than mine".

Too much of the "green - eyed " monster at times from the popular press !!!

Okay , rant over.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth