The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Nobility

Catherine was only 5 years old when her parents started their business. Depending on whether or not they started the company with money from Mr. Middleton's wealthy family, they might not have had to struggle very much to get their business off the ground. If he had any sort of assistance or money from relatives, they might have been able to get their business going without a lot of financial headaches and growing pains.
I did some snooping to find out what I could about Catherine's family, and I managed to find some articles and photos about Catherine's family. Her father comes from an old upper-middleclass family on both sides, and one side had quite a bit of wealth.
The Leeds connection... - Yorkshire Evening Post
Family detective - Telegraph
Chapel Allerton Focus - Chapel Allerton Today: News, Sport, Jobs, Property, Cars, Entertainments & More
Re: Kate Middleton - title of parents if she married Prince William

Here is a photo of some of Catherine's great great family members walking with Princess Mary in 1927. Catherine's great great uncle was the mayor of Leeds at the time.
Leodis - a photographic archive of Leeds - Display

A photo of Catherine's great great uncle and aunt, the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Leeds.

A photo of one of their family homes. The family had 7 mansions at one time, this home was called Menston Grange and it was purchased by the Lord Mayor's father Thomas Lupton.

A photo of Catherine's grandfather's first cousin Miss Elinor Gertrude Lupton. The photo was taken in 1943. Miss Lupton was the first female Lord Mayor of Leeds, and she lived in the family mansion called Beechwood at Roundhay.

This is a photo of Roacklands mansion on the Newton Park estate, which was owned by Francis Martineu Lupton Esq. Francis was the father of Olive Lupton, who married Noel Middleton, who was Kate's grandfather's father. Noel Middleton was a distinguished solicitor and one of the founders of the Yorkshire Symphony Orchestra. When Olive's father died, she and her sister inherited Roacklands and the Newton Park Estate.

It's a guess on my part, but with that old family money in her father's background, somehow I don't think Catherine's parents were ever really poor and struggling financially.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't remamber if it was posted before or not but some genealogy about Kate's family:
thePeerage.com - Person Page 20096

Old 08-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Nobility

While I adore Kate and understand why Prince William finds her lovely, I don't quite believe she is up to par financially and having the social connections that the households of HMTQ and the Prince of Wales had in mind for William. I say that knowing full well how absolutely snobby and picky the upper echelons of the British Upper Class are. All they care about at the end of the day is the bloodlines of their heirs, their horses and their dogs.

But then we live in reality and, in theory, Prince William deserves to live with love and joy in his private life. And, really, after all, if Princess Margaret married a photographer of unrestricted physical attractions, then perhaps the bar was lowered then.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I think, even more than Princess Margaret's marriage to Antony Armstrong-Jones, Prince Edward's choice of Sophie Rhys-Jones as a wife -- someone who has become beloved within the royal family -- shows that the qualities for marrying into the Windsor family have changed quite a lot since the days of Charles and Di.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness

Diana is widely considered to have had more royal blood than Charles himself--and we see how well that marriage turned out! Additionally, Sophie didn't exactly have social standing when she married into the family and she is a great favorite of QEII. While I am sure that many want William to marry someone who is titled with the correct blueblooded connections, it looks as if he is set to marry Kate--who is really a lovely person. Diana tried to raise William as normally as possible--he was in a public preschool, went to amusement parks, etc.. and gave him what I think is his greatest asset--the "common touch". He is able to interact and get on the level of all persons regardless of title, income, etc.. and that makes him quite appealing. Kate comes from a well to-do family and will not make any major gaffes in public (well, aside from those boots she always wears). Maxima didn't come from a titled family (she did come from a political family) and she is just a wonderful asset to the Netherlands. Crown Princess Mary's family was not especially distinguished in the way of bloodlines and such, and she is, in my opinion, the epitome of grace and elegance. Letizia isn't from a blue blooded family either (love her or hate her). It seems that now the emphasis isn't on the blue blood or titles, but on love. Let's hope it remains that way!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Commoner

Just wanted to clean this up, she was born middle class thats definate no question about it.

Her mum and dad came into some money when they opened this shop I cant remember what they did but they have now quite a bit of money and she went to this boarding school non of them really associated with any member of the royals what so ever I think its more like a local to where my mum lives a school down there's a private all girls school but I cant remember the name.

She then was deciding on what University to go to at the time when she finished at baording school and chose St Andrews her family having that sort of money so it wasnt a problem and thats basically it.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Nobility

The information I provided earlier shows that Catherine's father is from a wealthy uppermiddle class background that goes back to the 1700s. Maybe he used money he inherited from his family to start his business? I believe Catherine's parents are financially secure and have a thriving business with a good income, they probably clear at least several million dollars in straight profit per year. That doesn't make her rich, but it does make her financially secure and free to have choices and options.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Courtier

Kate Middleton's childhood home to let - Telegraph
Old 02-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeralds and Opals View Post
That hedge makes it seem a semi-detached, that is divided into two houses.
The estate agent says it is charming, cosy etc etc. Well that is the way a property is described when being sold or let.
I doubt whether Kate would want it to live in though, fond memories or not, I remember not so long ago people commenting on her parents´present home and saying it was not that grand...well it is when you see this place where Party Pieces started.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I agree with you toatlly Menarue.
The middleton "manor" is very very beautiful compared the umm that shall we say.
x
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Commoner

I think the "Middleton" name says it all.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Commoner

She is not from Money!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 AM
Majesty

what does she work with today?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
what does she work with today?
It is said she takes the photographs for her family´s internet party products, that is they sell paper plates, napkins, hats and products to do with children´s parties, actually she may do more than that or even less but that is the official story. No one really knows. They have a small staff, there is a picture of them on the Party Pieces web site so you can look for yourself.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Bella View Post
She is not from Money!
She is from 'new money'. Old money doesn't make you a nicer person!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
She is from 'new money'. Old money doesn't make you a nicer person!
..... or more suitable for a royal role!!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
It is said she takes the photographs for her family´s internet party products, that is they sell paper plates, napkins, hats and products to do with children´s parties, actually she may do more than that or even less but that is the official story. No one really knows. They have a small staff, there is a picture of them on the Party Pieces web site so you can look for yourself.
is there a webbsite adress?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn´t mind some brand new money.....
Actually I don´t think it is the money that is the problem, what is annoying is the trying to make her what she isn´t. She is a young girl from a family who has made money from an internet business, she has no aristocratic background (someone even asked what her arms were, (there are two of them attached to her shoulders BTW) she may well become a future Queen of England so I suppose if that happens how her family made their money or who they were won´t matter one iota. But before we make her into a Princess it is up to someone else to do that, if he wishes.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
is there a webbsite adress?

Please enable your cookies

The photos, if she took them, are quite good.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Majesty

how does media talk about her kind if work.
In sweden Crown princess Victorias Fience is often refered to fitness trainer but he own a few traning centers and has other companies.
its often written about him that he has to commen work

how do you se on kates work if you compare them.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth