The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge this morning officially opened the Back to Nature Garden and attended the Back to Nature Festival at Royal Horticultural Society Garden Wisley, Wisley Lane, Wisley, Woking, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Surrey (Mr Michael More-Molyneux).

- COURT CIRCULAR || 10 SEPTEMBER 2019

Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although its never been stated openly, I think the work that Kate is doing to promote going back to nature and enjoying the great outdoors is also a great incentive that aids and abets the mental health campaign. Put down the devices and forget social media and instead of reading about what shape the planet is online, get out there and actually enjoy the beauty of our planet.
`
I think we all should do this more. Now my dog is on the wrong side of the door again and I'll hug a tree while I'm out there. Of course my dog is thinking "too many trees, so little time" (I live in a forest)

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 09-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Majesty

“The Duchess of Cambridge has opened a new 'Back to Nature' garden for children.”

“The Duchess designed the garden, in Surrey, to encourage children to play and explore in nature.”

“Earlier this year, Prince George visited his mother’s Back to Nature Garden at The Chelsea Flower Show and rated it a 20 out of 10.”

Old 09-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Majesty

“Bees are disappearing in our own backyards. But we don’t have to sit back and accept a world without these amazing little creatures. Whoever you are and wherever you live, there’s something you can do to help #SaveTheBees.”

“The @BackyardNatUK campaign, backed by The Duchess of Cambridge, aims to plant 15 million seeds in the UK to halt the sharp decline in bee population”

Find out more:Campaign backed by Duchess of Cambridge urges youngsters to halt bee decline

Video

Via Kensington Palace Twitter
Old 09-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
“Bees are disappearing in our own backyards. But we don’t have to sit back and accept a world without these amazing little creatures. Whoever you are and wherever you live, there’s something you can do to help #SaveTheBees.”
Well, it is not so easy. Re-natured gardens instead of simple green lawns are a pleasure ground for ticks(?), these borreliosis/"Lyme disease" carrying, disgusting creatures. You can't have the kids playing there.

But Princess Kate is right: Something has to be done!
Old 09-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kids all over the U.S. play in yards with ticks with very little issue...it can be managed.

The bee issue is more complex than just planting seeds.

She's actually Princess William not Princess Kate ...there is no such title for her :)

LaRae
Old 09-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Well, it is not so easy. Re-natured gardens instead of simple green lawns are a pleasure ground for ticks(?), these borreliosis/"Lyme disease" carrying, disgusting creatures. You can't have the kids playing there.

Besides vaccination having the kids in long sleeves and trousers/tights is most often enough to keep them reasonably safe.
I agree that the question of bees disappearing is a complicated one but Kate's suggestion is one part of trying to alleviate the problem
Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, native flowers, forgoing the use of pesticides (huge part), encouraging new beekeepers, educating the public ..just a few ways to help.

LaRae
Old 09-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Aristocracy

Interesting project
Old 09-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post

Ticks are attracted to cool shaded, damp places. Mainly found in densely wooded places but also things like wood piles.

This initiative is not talking about building forests in your backyard. Its about planting wildflowers in your garden. Wildflowers attract bees and offer them a source of food. This isnt the kind of plant life which will bring ticks into your yard.

They are handing out seedballs of wildlife flowers, not planting forests for kids.

Of course things like pesticides, and more bee farmers needs to be addressed, but this is a good start.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Majesty

“The Duchess of Cambridge joined Children’s BBC #BluePeter to unveil the winner of their Royal Garden Competition at @RHSWisley– congratulations Jessica on your winning design!

Jessica’s beautiful winning sculpture is made of wood and recycled metal, wowing the judges with its stunning butterfly wings, covered in clematis flowers

Congratulations to the runners-up of Children’s BBC #BluePeter's Royal Garden competition, Lucy and Megan, who designed beautiful tin can herbs and den building activity cards.

The Duchess, Ben from @The_RHS and George Hassall joined the judging panel to pick out the winning entry for Children’s BBC #BluePeter competition, which The Duchess launched back in June.”

Video - * Pic 1 * - * Pic 2 *

Via Kensington Palace Twitter