The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015-January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Catherine!

Possible that the Palace wanted to announce it.

I've read a couple of times before that Catherine enjoys photography, so I can imagine that this new membership will be of interest to her. Yes, congratulations to her as well.

While Catherine has taken some quite lovely photos of her children, however, overall she is no better than any other happy snappy amateur. Such an honour is a slap in the face to those whose body of work is formidable and deserving of recognition. In short, it smacks of shmoozing royalty rather than a genuine recognition of a photographer of note.

Last edited:
Marg so totally agree with you. ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Agree with both of you. :flowers:

We have heard she us a photographer. I would love to actually see some if this work. So far her work seems that of any mother with a home camera. Not bad, but nothing prize worthy.

Arthur may want to read up. He talks about Borneo photos like Kate was just starting. We gave been told she was a photographer for her parents business, and was an amateur photographer during their dating years. She isn't the new photographer he portrays. Nor is her simple family pics anything amazing.

Everywhere I've read, it has been stated that this is a honorary membership. I don't feel it detracts at all from those that are awarded membership as those are the ones that have earned it.

To me, it is no different than perhaps a highly respected university awarding the Queen a Masters in Diplomatic Relations or William if she should be awarded Commander in Chief of an armed service.

Kate has always been interested in photography and its use of light, color and and how the subject is framed in the photo. I think she's done wonderfully and this honor shows it. Andrew is another one that is a photography buff.

It's an honorary membership folks. Takes nothing away from other professional photographer. Catherine, The Queen and Prince Andrew are amateur photographers. The royal family have a long history as amateur photographers.

While Catherine has taken some quite lovely photos of her children, however, overall she is no better than any other happy snappy amateur. Such an honour is a slap in the face to those whose body of work is formidable and deserving of recognition. In short, it smacks of shmoozing royalty rather than a genuine recognition of a photographer of note.

I don't see why it would be a slap in the face. The society is for both amateur and professional photographers. According to their spokesperson: “We exist to promote photography at all levels, whether it’s with a smartphone or a more expensive camera, and we’re here to help people improve their skills."

Plus, it's not like Catherine was awarded one of their medals/awards. She was given a lifetime membership, which is something anyone can get. All you have to do is pay a fee.

Membership - RPS

I expect RPS to be one of Kate's future patronages (the Queen is currently its patron).

Last edited:
It's an honorary membership folks. Takes nothing away from other professional photographer. Catherine, The Queen and Prince Andrew are amateur photographers. The royal family have a long history as amateur photographers.
Absolutely agree. I have a PhD and when celebs and members of royalty receive honorary doctorates, should I get in a huff and a puff because they haven't earned it the "right way"? No. It doesn't take away my hard work and title. It's the same for Catherine.

So was it a slap in the face to people who work hard for their education when Prince Albert, Princess Mary or all these other celebs got honorary degrees from Universities?

Do people not know what honorary mean?

Do people not know what honorary mean?

They do but don't want the facts to confuse the issue ;)

British royals are honorary members of dozens (hundreds?) of organisations but lets all have a fit when Catherine becomes a member of a photographic society.

Everywhere I've read, it has been stated that this is a honorary membership. I don't feel it detracts at all from those that are awarded membership as those are the ones that have earned it.

To me, it is no different than perhaps a highly respected university awarding the Queen a Masters in Diplomatic Relations or William if she should be awarded Commander in Chief of an armed service.

Kate has always been interested in photography and its use of light, color and and how the subject is framed in the photo. I think she's done wonderfully and this honor shows it. Andrew is another one that is a photography buff.

I agree Osipi that it does appear that people are overlooking the fact that this is an honorary membership.:)

I actually met the Duchess of Cambridge during her visit to The Hague at October 10! (Apologies for the delay, I'm planning to visit this forum more often). It was a great experience. It was over in a blink of an eye (I said: 'Your Royal Highness, nice to meet you' and she said 'Nice to meet you too' - deep conversation!), but it was fantastic. Royal Musings: The Duchess of Cambridge visits the Netherlands

I actually met the Duchess of Cambridge during her visit to The Hague at October 10! (Apologies for the delay, I'm planning to visit this forum more often). It was a great experience. It was over in a blink of an eye (I said: 'Your Royal Highness, nice to meet you' and she said 'Nice to meet you too' - deep conversation!), but it was fantastic. Royal Musings: The Duchess of Cambridge visits the Netherlands

Where was she holding her clutch and did it convey deep meaning to you? :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding - what a thrill for you! I am deeply envious.

Where was she holding her clutch and did it convey deep meaning to you? :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding - what a thrill for you! I am deeply envious.

To be precise: she put her clutch in the car before she approached the public to meet them. :lol: I read a lot into that, for sure. :lol:

Thanks, it was a thrill indeed, an absolutely great experience I'll never forget. :)

Last edited:
To be precise: she put her clutch in the car before she approached the public to meet them. :lol: I read a lot into that, for sure. :lol:

Thanks, it was a thrill indeed, an absolutely great experience I'll never forget. :)

Danke u vel! I enjoyed reading about your encounter with HRH! (And for providing an eyewitness observation of Kate and the clutch!);)

Last edited:
Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
On 28 Feb The Duchess will visit @RMHCUK Evelina London to open their new house for the families of children being treated @EvelinaLondon
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/831538202037145600

Majesty/Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the new 59-bedroom Ronald McDonald House Evelina London @RMHCUK on 28 February:

Ronald McDonald House Evelina London

Very good to see the calender fill out, this is the future for her.

RMHC UK @RMHCUK
Today’s the day The Duchess of Cambridge opens our Evelina London House! HRH will have a tour of the House and meet families and supporters
https://twitter.com/RMHCUK/status/836499798970748928

RMHC UK @RMHCUK
Preparations are complete, the House is ready and families are waiting to greet HRH The Duchess of Cambridge at our Evelina London House!
https://twitter.com/RMHCUK/status/836508157312712704

I love this. When my brother was in the hospital, we stayed at the Ronald McDonald House and it is a huge weight off of your shoulders for so many reasons. Glad to see her supporting the foundation! :flowers:

The Duchess of Cambridge today officially opened the new 59-bedroom Ronald McDonald House Evelina London, providing a ‘home away from home’ for families of children at Evelina London Children’s Hospital.

Her Royal Highness toured the new House and met Ronald McDonald House staff and Evelina London doctors and nurses.

Joining in on a Pancake Day arts and crafts session with children, Her Royal Highness spoke to parents who have found that the new House eases the difficulties of having a child staying at Evelina London. She heard many moving stories from families and siblings who explained that staying at the House greatly eased the stress and strain of having a sick child, and gave them more time to concentrate on the condition of their child.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge meets Evelina London families at new Ronald McDonald House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom