The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015-January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much difference? When the Queen was young she (and Prince Philip) were away from Britain (and their very young children) for months at a time, touring Commonwealth and Empire countries. The Queen made speeches without stumbling, dealt with red boxes, signed pieces of legislation into law, (something Kate will never do) and was Head of State. She met the PM on a weekly basis, other Ministers and Commonwealth leaders.

Elizabeth wasn't defined as a wife and mother or a clothes horse or anything else other than a monarch. Yes, news reports of the time mentioned her clothes and gowns (not her hair) but they weren't the main focus of her appearances in news items, as they are so often with Kate.

And I'm afraid Kate is still nervous at public appearances and making speeches. She clutches her purse to her front still, like her life depends on it, making her often appear wooden. Her speeches also show a certain amount of nerves. So no, she's not like the Queen in my eyes.

It's unfair to even try to compare Catherine to The Queen. We're in a different time and the roles and responsibilities are different. Also, The Queen came into her job at a very early age. Although we praise Her Majesty on her job, she too went through her salad days. She learned as the years went on. The media gave her the respectable room to learn along the way.

There's too much pressure on Catherine today. Royal watchers and media want her to be the perfect and seasoned princess overnight.

The Duchess of Cambridge has made great progress over these past five years and more responsibility is now falling on her. We just have to continue to give her time to grow.

I took the comparison to mean in demeanor. Both are on the quiet side, love the country and can be frugal rather than extravagant. Both prefer simple pieces of jewelry and for the most part, prefer solids over prints. That kind of thing.

I'm always bemused when people suggest that Catherine is a terrible speech maker by pointing to the Queen and saying "see, that's how it's done".

Catherine clearly models her live speech habits on the Queen, who *still* looks down most of the time to read her speeches. Watch the video of HM addressing the United Nations and keep track of how many times she looks down at the page. It's about once per sentence, same as Catherine.

It's not a lack of practice on Catherine's part, it's a style she's adopted from HM.

I took the comparison to mean in demeanor. Both are on the quiet side, love the country and can be frugal rather than extravagant. Both prefer simple pieces of jewelry and for the most part, prefer solids over prints. That kind of thing.

I know what you mean, Osipi.

I'm always bemused when people suggest that Catherine is a terrible speech maker by pointing to the Queen and saying "see, that's how it's done".

Catherine clearly models her live speech habits on the Queen, who *still* looks down most of the time to read her speeches. Watch the video of HM addressing the United Nations and keep track of how many times she looks down at the page. It's about once per sentence, same as Catherine.

It's not a lack of practice on Catherine's part, it's a style she's adopted from HM.

I guess it's all down to just making the speech and not try to play up the cameras and crowds. Basic speech making. Catherine has improved in that department though. It's always good to hear from her, rather than just hearing and reading journalist comments. Although, she haven't made a speech in a while.

Last edited:
Exactly! And that's what I thought both you and AdmirerUS meant.

I don't know whether the public would regard either of the Cambridges as necessarily being frugal when their way of life and the refurbishments at Anmer and apartment 1A are contemplated!

I don't know whether the public would regard either of the Cambridges as necessarily being frugal when their way of life and the refurbishments at Anmer and apartment 1A are contemplated!

I don't take that really into consideration for the reasons being that KP needed the work done to preserve the structure and integrity of the building. W&K (with the probable help from Charles) funded the interior. They'll be living and using that apartment for quite a while. Same with Anmer. Most was done as upkeep for a building on the Queen's Sandringham estate.

They own neither residence but one day William is expected to inherit Sandringham.

This thread isn't about William, or the refurbishments at KP/Anmer. Please let's stay on topic.

Does anyone know of any upcoming appearances by the Duchess of Cambridge before the Trooping of the Colour in June? I looked at the official website under the future engagements for each member of the royal family, but I did not see anything.

Engagements for William, Catherine, and Harry are generally (major foreign tours excepted) announced no more than 2 weeks ahead, and rarely appear on the future events section.

Several posts have been deleted as they ignored the Moderator's request to return to the topic of the thread. Please do not ignore Moderator posts and they are made for a purpose.

This is great. This together with the visit at a prison before. I wonder if she's looking into getting involved with a patronage connected to women in prison. That would be great. Either way, it is great ! :D

When you stop and think about it, women that have ended up in prison for some reason or the other most likely would have some mental health issues that need to be dealt with and what better place to instigate a mental health program for women? This is just my thoughts but its the first one I had reading about Kate meeting with support services for women in prison.

When you stop and think about it, women that have ended up in prison for some reason or the other most likely would have some mental health issues that need to be dealt with and what better place to instigate a mental health program for women? This is just my thoughts but its the first one I had reading about Kate meeting with support services for women in prison.
I agree. I think it could tie in really nicely. (That was talked about when she visited the prison.)

Does anyone know of any upcoming appearances by the Duchess of Cambridge before the Trooping of the Colour in June? I looked at the official website under the future engagements for each member of the royal family, but I did not see anything.
They usually get announced on Twitter Palace page. Not every event is announced there, though and the tweeted events don't all make it to the Royal Diary. It's a very loose approach to getting the news about the future out. :whistling:

They usually get announced on Twitter Palace page. Not every event is announced there, though and the tweeted events don't all make it to the Royal Diary. It's a very loose approach to getting the news about the future out. :whistling:

It was announce in the CC, but the KP Twitter page should've announced it too.

A new-ish picture of The Duchess of Cambridge. It was included in a letter of support for the 2nd ICPCN Conference

The conference delegates were honoured to hear a number of messages of support from around the world by highly esteemed individuals with a heart for children’s palliative care. Included in these messages of support was a letter from the Vatican acknowledging the value of the ICPCN Now campaign and a letter from HRH the Duchess of Cambridge in which she showed her true understanding and compassion for children with life limiting illnesses and thanked the ICPCN membership for being the voice for these children and their families.

Opening ceremony at the 2nd ICPCN Conference

The Duchess of Cambridge will meet ball boys and girls and officials when she visits Wimbledon for the ladies' semi-finals.

Kate will be introduced to staff at the All England Club before watching the tennis from the Royal Box on Centre Court.

She will see two of the tournament's greatest champions in action as Serena Williams and her sister Venus make their bids to reach the final.
Read more: Kate to meet Wimbledon staff before watching Williams sisters in semi-finals - BT

Last edited:
Kate has also been spotted watching women and men's wheelchair singles tennis - she is in a balcony area of centre court that over looks the court where the matches on outside courts are taking place. Earlier she was introduced to one of the British wheelchair tennis stars - so nice that later in the day Kate went to watch some of the girls game

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Netherlands on 11th October for a day of official engagements in The Hague and Rotterdam

On arrival, The Duchess is pleased to have the opportunity to pay a courtesy call on His Majesty King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands

The Duchess will also visit the @mauritshuis exhibition 'At Home in Holland: Vermeer & his Contemporaries from the British Royal Collection'

HRH will host a roundtable discussion @Trimbos on addiction, intervention, family and mental health with @AFNCCF and @ActionAddiction

The Duchess will then travel to Rotterdam to see Bouwkeet, the social Makerspace of Bospolder-Tussendijken - a community focussed initiative

The Duchess of Cambridge is very much looking forward to her visit to the Netherlands @ukinnl

Last edited:
I'm very pleased to hear Catherine will be doing her first solo visit to the Netherlands.

I'm always waiting to hear about her role as a senior Royal expanding. It's a big deal for her to be meeting up with the King again.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Netherlands on 11th October for a day of official engagements in The Hague and Rotterdam

On arrival, The Duchess is pleased to have the opportunity to pay a courtesy call on His Majesty King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands

The Duchess will also visit the @mauritshuis exhibition 'At Home in Holland: Vermeer & his Contemporaries from the British Royal Collection'

HRH will host a roundtable discussion @Trimbos on addiction, intervention, family and mental health with @AFNCCF and @ActionAddiction

The Duchess will then travel to Rotterdam to see Bouwkeet, the social Makerspace of Bospolder-Tussendijken - a community focussed initiative

The Duchess of Cambridge is very much looking forward to her visit to the Netherlands @ukinnl

Great. Look forward to seeing Catherine on the Netherlands.

Let's just hope she does not get pregnant between now and then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom