The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Thank you but I am interested in knowing where this phrase ' part time ' and ' full time ' royal came from? It is used repeatedly but where did it come from?
Probably media. William himself commented on it in his recent interview saying the term "full time royal" was bandied about alot without anyone knowing the meaning. Some people took it as a "huh, he doesn't even know what a full time royal does" but I took it as a "why are you people saying this term that isn't a thing?!!"

Old 09-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I too think she's doing a good job. I'm not criticizing her on the job, I just think it would be good to hear her own thoughts about her charitable causes. We hear from The Prince of Wales, William and Harry, Anne, Sophie, etc on their passions and thoughts about many things. It's no harm for us to hear a little more from Catherine too. No one is saying for her to deliver a 20 page speech, but her actions and voice matters. The two video messages she made was great. I'd like to see more of stuff like that from her. Her actions are beautiful, but many people (including me) want to know what she's thinking on behalf of her charities and what she's passionate about. There's nothing wrong in her expressing her thoughts vocally on worthy causes.

For some reason, people just get the wrong idea when me or others talk about Catherine's growth in her official role as a senior member of the royal family.

ITA w/you and I also think this is a big year for Catherine coming up. In April it will be the Fifth Wedding Anniversary and Catherine's Fifth year as a Member of the Royal Family. It is time for her for step things up a bit and the ways you've brought up are exactly in how I think she should go about it. I really wish she would say something about how the current Refugee Crisis is affecting kids in the UK as an example. W/how it is being seen everywhere right now, kids will wonder if that could happen to them. Then there's those kids in the UK to who those aren't Refugees, but Family.

Place2Be and The Art Room are perfect organizations to help these kids and I am sure they, Catherine and The Royal Foundation are working behind the scenes on plans to do just that. However, at the same time I think Catherine could do a Video Statement about what's going on at Place2Be and The Art Room to help these kids and let us know what she thinks needs to be done and how we can help.

As much as actions do speak louder than words on many occasions, at the same time words are needed just as badly too and when they go hand in hand, can be very powerful indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I understand you. I think what "turns people of" is that usually when people "suggest" growth they make it sound more as a demand or a "she should" thing than a "i hope in the future they go this way since I think the role would gain much from that". More of how it's portrayed than the suggestion itself. Plus alot of us are a little stingy because so many write negatively about her, so we might easily think there is some underlaying malice in posts "suggesting" things :)

Perfectly said. For some sad reason the Cambridges get attacked on a regular basis, so as you said there can be a knee jerk reaction when someone does try to get a reasonable discussion going, to defend William and Catherine. Such a shame too, because what could be a great discussion usually gets hijacks and then.., :(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 09-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
ITA w/you and I also think this is a big year for Catherine coming up. In April it will be the Fifth Wedding Anniversary and Catherine's Fifth year as a Member of the Royal Family. It is time for her for step things up a bit and the ways you've brought up are exactly in how I think she should go about it. I really wish she would say something about how the current Refugee Crisis is affecting kids in the UK as an example. W/how it is being seen everywhere right now, kids will wonder if that could happen to them. Then there's those kids in the UK to who those aren't Refugees, but Family.

Place2Be and The Art Room are perfect organizations to help these kids and I am sure they, Catherine and The Royal Foundation are working behind the scenes on plans to do just that. However, at the same time I think Catherine could do a Video Statement about what's going on at Place2Be and The Art Room to help these kids and let us know what she thinks needs to be done and how we can help.

As much as actions do speak louder than words on many occasions, at the same time words are needed just as badly too and when they go hand in hand, can be very powerful indeed.

Perfectly said. For some sad reason the Cambridges get attacked on a regular basis, so as you said there can be a knee jerk reaction when someone does try to get a reasonable discussion going, to defend William and Catherine. Such a shame too, because what could be a great discussion usually gets hijacks and then.., :(

Along with the rest of the BRF, the Duchess is not in a position to make any statement concerning the current migrant/refugee situation. This is a political issue and to say anything would be seen as political interference.

It is a very sensitive issue for all European governments.

But talking, in confidence, with organisations who deal with children would be ok once the UK has finalised arrangements. and, of course, so long as it stayed confidential.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Along with the rest of the BRF, the Duchess is not in a position to make any statement concerning the current migrant/refugee situation. This is a political issue and to say anything would be seen as political interference.

But talking, in confidence, with organisations who deal with children would be ok once the UK has finalised arrangements. and, of course, so long as it stayed confidential.
Thank you Cepe, there is a protocol and political issue.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Exactly!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 02:12 PM

I didn't mean to be critical, either; I'm sorry if it came across that way. I do understand that she's not a full-time working Royal yet, and she has had a lot going on! But I look forward to seeing and hearing from Catherine more as she continues to settle into the royal family and as her role gradually increases.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

You might want to re read my post. Nowhere did I say anything about Politics or anything like that. I did mention the impact this is having on Children in the UK and it's effect on their emotional/mental health due to various factors. Considering this is one of Catherine's interests and she is the Patron of more than one Patronage that helps Children's Mental Health, she can talk about how the Public can help by getting in touch w/those Organizations, as well as suggestions of what else could be done.

In no way is that being Political.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Trust me, the voice can be a powerful weapon when it comes down to helping worthy causes and organizations. Actions are also a very powerful way to make a difference. There have to be a balance of the two when it comes to stuff like this.

I enjoy watching Catherine engage with children and adults alike, but actually hearing from her is even more exciting and memorable. You can also gain an understanding what she think about her charities and how far they've come.
Of course the voice can be a powerful weapon, but, for the most part, the royals have typically not put a lot of emphasis on speaking (which is generally quite evident when any member of the family gives a speech. Charles aside, it's generally evident that it's not a skill they've honed.) Like I said, when I think of causes I associate with the royals, it's rarely based on anything they've actually said. I've know I've watched videos of royal speeches, but I can't really remember anything they've said. I think they very much have an actions-speak-louder-than-words approach, and I think it works.

I know some people want to see and hear more of Kate (and I'm one of those people), but I think some patience is required. As with other royals before her, it will take her some time to find her niche, and she's also got two very small children who she obviously wants to devote a lot of her time to.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Of course the voice can be a powerful weapon, but, for the most part, the royals have typically not put a lot of emphasis on speaking (which is generally quite evident when any member of the family gives a speech. Charles aside, it's generally evident that it's not a skill they've honed.) Like I said, when I think of causes I associate with the royals, it's rarely based on anything they've actually said. I've know I've watched videos of royal speeches, but I can't really remember anything they've said. I think they very much have an actions-speak-louder-than-words approach, and I think it works.

I know some people want to see and hear more of Kate (and I'm one of those people), but I think some patience is required. As with other royals before her, it will take her some time to find her niche, and she's also got two very small children who she obviously wants to devote a lot of her time to.
I know it's going to take time for Catherine to find her niche, but I just think her voice and thoughts about her charities matter too. Her video messages are great, but I think she could speak up a bit more and not just let William deliver all the speeches.

Also, her time with her kids are her private life. None of that is effected by her speaking about her charitable organizations.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge’s maternity leave officially comes to an end next week when she begins a busy autumn programme of royal duties.

The mother of four-month-old Princess Charlotte and two-year-old Prince George will pay a visit next week to the Anna Freud Centre in London, a charity involved with children’s mental health.

The six-week Rugby World Cup kicks off in 10 days and it is understood that she will attend several matches and events.

Then there is a charities’ forum event in October and trips to Dundee and North Wales with the Duke of Cam-bridge. It means the royal couple will be juggling, for the first time in earnest, parental duties, royal events and the Duke’s job as a helicopter pilot with the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
Read more: Maternity leave over, Duchess of Cambridge prepares for duty at the Rugby World Cup - Telegraph
Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I know it's going to take time for Catherine to find her niche, but I just think her voice and thoughts about her charities matter too. Her video messages are great, but I think she could speak up a bit more and not just let William deliver all the speeches.

Also, her time with her kids are her private life. None of that is effected by her speaking about her charitable organizations.
Kate's private life and the fact that she has two small children is important more in the general context of expectations of how much she does publicly, whether it involves speaking or not. Essentially, because she isn't a "full-time" royal, how and where she carves out her niche in terms of her public duties might take a bit longer. Maybe she'll find speaking an important part of what she does, or maybe she won't. I just feel a general sense of "slow down . . . all in good time." Now that her maternity leave is about to end, though, we'll be seeing a bit more of her, and I know I'm looking forward to that.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton resumes public duties after four months of maternity leave | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-08-2015, 02:40 AM
Courtier

I guess the BRF hired a Catherine stunt-double for Trooping and Portsmouth. Either that or the Daily Mail has the memory of a goldfish.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:08 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I guess the BRF hired a Catherine stunt-double for Trooping and Portsmouth. Either that or the Daily Mail has the memory of a goldfish.

This is the same DM that has been saying she has not been to a wedding since she got married (ignore the million articles they have of her at weddings post marriage) and she skipped William's nanny's funeral (they had joint engagements that she had to carryout)

Since their current angle on the Duchess is her being a social recluse, Trooping, Polo outing and Portsmouth did not happen

They will have some headline on the 17th about "The invisible princess" "kate the recluse" etc being forced back to public life by the Queen
Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree. Summer is slow for royal watchers around the world. September is when all of them begin to be more visible. The DM knows this is a way to get readers to click on their stories.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
You might want to re read my post. Nowhere did I say anything about Politics or anything like that. I did mention the impact this is having on Children in the UK and it's effect on their emotional/mental health due to various factors. Considering this is one of Catherine's interests and she is the Patron of more than one Patronage that helps Children's Mental Health, she can talk about how the Public can help by getting in touch w/those Organizations, as well as suggestions of what else could be done.

In no way is that being Political.

The Royal Family thread a very fine line, in my opinion regarding any issue that in any way can be seen as in anyway sensitive, political or controversial. I don't want to put words in Cepe mouth and I hope I have got their meaning but I believe that is what they were saying. This is a ongoing political and controversial issue in Europe and especially England at the moment from what I see.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think the best way to describe it is that Will, Kate and Harry are members of the senior royal line of the House of Windsor but are part time working royals in the family "Firm".

At least that's how I see it.
Excellent explanation Osipi. The Wales' brothers are high up in the line of succession, but are newer to the ranks with over a dozen other royal family members who have been representing QEII for decades. Most of the male members of the BRF typically have a military career before retiring and becoming full time representatives. William and Harry have ended their military careers but are currently or will be soon giving service to the nation as civilians.

There are a few examples in other royal houses as well: Constantijn/Laurentian-Netherlands, Martha-Louise-Norway, Madeline/Carl Phillip/Sofia-Sweden-all perform some royal duties throughout the year but not as frequently as their parents and siblings who are the reigning monarchs or heirs to the throne.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Mace ‏@RoyaleVision #royal Tomorrow, The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Anna Freud Centre, & will visit the Anna Freud Centre Family School, London
Old 09-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

From the little bit I saw, Kate defintely seem more confindent... But I really have to say that she doesn't look very well... I'm starting worrying for her health... Okay, I'm off topic but she looks quite fragile...

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge