The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

I hope Catherine will also use her voice for this cause. Actually using her voice can help make a powerful impact.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Finally we get to see Catherine again. I'm looking forward into the engagement - mental health appears to be an issue that she cares about, so I'm sure she'll be brilliant during this visit.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I hope Catherine will also use her voice for this cause. Actually using her voice can help make a powerful impact.
Words are useful. It's actions that are more important, and powerful. Catherine's appearance will be a good way to raise awareness, and her interacting with the children will do wonders. At the end of the day, those things carry more weight than a speech.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 AM

Finally! It's been a long dry spell. I'm so glad that it's time for royal engagements to start picking up again.

I do hope People is correct about her increasing her engagements now that she's coming out of maternity leave. Chronologically, it's past time for her to start playing a more significant role as one of the senior royals, though of course having two children naturally slowed things down a bit.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

The DoC (nor William) is not a full time royal. She is not going to play a 'significant' role until the Queen tells her to or until Charles becomes King.

LaRae
Old 09-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

And the Cambridges and Prince Harry are currently considered to be part-time royals rather than full time ones. That does mean that the three will not be making as many public appearances as the rest of the working members of the BRF.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The DoC (nor William) is not a full time royal. She is not going to play a 'significant' role until the Queen tells her to or until Charles becomes King.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
And the Cambridges and Prince Harry are currently considered to be part-time royals rather than full time ones. That does mean that the three will not be making as many public appearances as the rest of the working members of the BRF.
Absolutely. Excellent points, bot of you .

Old 09-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Words are useful. It's actions that are more important, and powerful. Catherine's appearance will be a good way to raise awareness, and her interacting with the children will do wonders. At the end of the day, those things carry more weight than a speech.

True, actions are powerful, but I think Catherine could use her voice more though. I'd like to hear about her passions and what she think from her own voice a bit more.

Although, Catherine isn't Princess of Wales at the moment, she could step up things a little and I'm looking forward to her getting back to work.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
True, actions are powerful, but I think Catherine could use her voice more though. I'd like to hear about her passions and what she think from her own voice a bit more.

Although, Catherine isn't Princess of Wales at the moment, she could step up things a little and I'm looking forward to her getting back to work.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. She shows her passions through her actions. Maybe she feels more comfortable that way. Constantly yammerung on, and on isn't always good either. She's doing fine as is. Let her be.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. She shows her passions through her actions. Maybe she feels more comfortable that way. Constantly yammerung on, and on isn't always good either. She's doing fine as is. Let her be.
I too think she's doing a good job. I'm not criticizing her on the job, I just think it would be good to hear her own thoughts about her charitable causes. We hear from The Prince of Wales, William and Harry, Anne, Sophie, etc on their passions and thoughts about many things. It's no harm for us to hear a little more from Catherine too. No one is saying for her to deliver a 20 page speech, but her actions and voice matters. The two video messages she made was great. I'd like to see more of stuff like that from her. Her actions are beautiful, but many people (including me) want to know what she's thinking on behalf of her charities and what she's passionate about. There's nothing wrong in her expressing her thoughts vocally on worthy causes.

For some reason, people just get the wrong idea when me or others talk about Catherine's growth in her official role as a senior member of the royal family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I too think she's doing a good job. I'm not criticizing her on the job, I just think it would be good to hear her own thoughts about her charitable causes. We hear from The Prince of Wales, William and Harry, Anne, Sophie, etc on their passions and thoughts about many things. It's no harm for us to hear a little more from Catherine too. No one is saying for her to deliver a 20 page speech, but her actions and voice matters. The two video messages she made was great. I'd like to see more of stuff like that from her. Her actions are beautiful, but many people (including me) want to know what she's thinking on behalf of her charities and what she's passionate about. There's nothing wrong in her expressing her thoughts vocally on worthy causes.

For some reason, people just get the wrong idea when me or others talk about Catherine's growth in her official role as a senior member of the royal family.
I understand you. I think what "turns people of" is that usually when people "suggest" growth they make it sound more as a demand or a "she should" thing than a "i hope in the future they go this way since I think the role would gain much from that". More of how it's portrayed than the suggestion itself. Plus alot of us are a little stingy because so many write negatively about her, so we might easily think there is some underlaying malice in posts "suggesting" things :)
Old 09-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Though it's changed a bit in recent years, when it comes to royal engagements, there tends to be more doing rather than speaking. And they tend not to say anything particularly notable or personal (there have been some exceptions with William and Harry in their interviews, and of course Charles is known for tackling some of his favorite issues in speeches, but for the most part, the royals tend to stay away from making it too much about them.) When I think of the impact that different royals have had with regard to different causes, it's almost always a lot more to do with seeing what they done, rather than remembering anything they said.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I understand you. I think what "turns people of" is that usually when people "suggest" growth they make it sound more as a demand or a "she should" thing than a "i hope in the future they go this way since I think the role would gain much from that". More of how it's portrayed than the suggestion itself. Plus alot of us are a little stingy because so many write negatively about her, so we might easily think there is some underlaying malice in posts "suggesting" things :)
I see what mean. I'm a big supporter of the Cambridge's, have been since it was publically known Catherine and William were a couple. I know Catherine has received a great deal of harsh criticism since she became a senior royal. I just think it would be great to see her role grow. It's not a demand, but I know she has gained a great deal of confidence to expand her official role. Making speeches isn't an easy thing to do, and it takes years of practice to really get the hang of it. The only way to gain that experience is to actually do it. Catherine's actions on carrying out her duties on behalf of her charities has been great, I just think it would be good, for her and her charities, to vocally express her support, passion and interest too.

Catherine delivered a beautiful speech when she visited her old school, St Andrews, Pangbourne. She mentioned in the speech, when she was a young girl, she wanted to be a teacher. We probably wouldn't have known that if she didn't vocally express it. Her appearances are powerful, but her own voice can take things to another level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Though it's changed a bit in recent years, when it comes to royal engagements, there tends to be more doing rather than speaking. And they tend not to say anything particularly notable or personal (there have been some exceptions with William and Harry in their interviews, and of course Charles is known for tackling some of his favorite issues in speeches, but for the most part, the royals tend to stay away from making it too much about them.) When I think of the impact that different royals have had with regard to different causes, it's almost always a lot more to do with seeing what they done, rather than remembering anything they said.
Trust me, the voice can be a powerful weapon when it comes down to helping worthy causes and organizations. Actions are also a very powerful way to make a difference. There have to be a balance of the two when it comes to stuff like this.

I enjoy watching Catherine engage with children and adults alike, but actually hearing from her is even more exciting and memorable. You can also gain an understanding what she think about her charities and how far they've come.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I see what mean. I'm a big supporter of the Cambridge's, have been since it was publically known Catherine and William were a couple. I know Catherine has received a great deal of harsh criticism since she became a senior royal. I just think it would be great to see her role grow. It's not a demand, but I know she has gained a great deal of confidence to expand her official role. Making speeches isn't an easy thing to do, and it takes years of practice to really get the hang of it. The only way to gain that experience is to actually do it. Catherine's actions on carrying out her duties on behalf of her charities has been great, I just think it would be good, for her and her charities, to vocally express her support, passion and interest too.

Catherine delivered a beautiful speech when she visited her old school, St Andrews, Pangbourne. She mentioned in the speech, when she was a young girl, she wanted to be a teacher. We probably wouldn't have known that if she didn't vocally express it. Her appearances are powerful, but her own voice can take things to another level.

Trust me, the voice can be a powerful weapon when it comes down to helping worthy causes and organizations. Actions are also a very powerful way to make a difference. There have to be a balance of the two when it comes to stuff like this.

I enjoy watching Catherine engage with children and adults alike, but actually hearing from her is even more exciting and memorable. You can also gain an understanding what she think about her charities and how far they've come.
Ok, now I understand more what you've been trying to say, so thank you! :)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I think we have seen with Kate is the growing number of issues and conditions relating to children that are becoming her focus while raising two small children at home. We've seen Harry take active interest in wildlife in Africa and is expected to work as a civilian with returning wounded service personnel and we're seeing William working hands on in a field of public service with air ambulance while still maintaining his growth towards his future roles.

To me, perhaps they're not out and about in front of the cameras and the lights and doing the ribbon cutting and presenting plaques and making speeches so much but when we really look at the other things they are doing, for the most part, it all fits in with their Royal Foundation and its aims. These other "jobs" that they've signed on for, to me, add to their royal profiles more so than detract from it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I think we have seen with Kate is the growing number of issues and conditions relating to children that are becoming her focus while raising two small children at home. We've seen Harry take active interest in wildlife in Africa and is expected to work as a civilian with returning wounded service personnel and we're seeing William working hands on in a field of public service with air ambulance while still maintaining his growth towards his future roles.

To me, perhaps they're not out and about in front of the cameras and the lights and doing the ribbon cutting and presenting plaques and making speeches so much but when we really look at the other things they are doing, for the most part, it all fits in with their Royal Foundation and its aims. These other "jobs" that they've signed on for, to me, add to their royal profiles more so than detract from it.
Very true. They are laying the groundwork for deep knowledge in their causes!
Old 09-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Absolutely. Excellent points, bot of you .

By whom are The Cambridges considered part time Royals? Are they not Senior Royals? Did they and Prince Harry not appear with their father and HM on the balcony at the Diamond Jubilee celebrations?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
By whom are The Cambridges considered part time Royals? Are they not Senior Royals? Did they and Prince Harry not appear with their father and HM on the balcony at the Diamond Jubilee celebrations?
I think the best way to describe it is that Will, Kate and Harry are members of the senior royal line of the House of Windsor but are part time working royals in the family "Firm".

At least that's how I see it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think the best way to describe it is that Will, Kate and Harry are members of the senior royal line of the House of Windsor but are part time working royals in the family "Firm".

At least that's how I see it.
Thank you but I am interested in knowing where this phrase ' part time ' and ' full time ' royal came from? It is used repeatedly but where did it come from?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Thank you but I am interested in knowing where this phrase ' part time ' and ' full time ' royal came from? It is used repeatedly but where did it come from?
Y'know, that's a pretty good question. My guess would be that its the media that first denoted them as "part time"?

― John Lennon

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge