The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-19-2017, 04:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Photos are only a moment in time though, as we've always said. I don't think any royals attend very formal occasions grinning their heads off. There are probably some quite boring times between courses and when listening to bland and rather uninteresting speeches at banquets. There can be language difficulties in having a full conversation with the person sitting next to you as well. I would guess that many of these photos of Kate and others were taken when listening (or not!) to the speeches.
Agreed. I looked up images of Catherine at the Chinese State Banquet and when she was listening to speeches, she had the same look.

Catherine also was sitting in an awkward spot - on the end of the main table.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:03 AM
Heir Apparent

There isn't an engagement where the royals don't look tired, bored, sleepy etc. It's just being selective in the photos you choose.

MARG you selectively post photos to show something must be 'up' and of course go on to say we'll never know what it is.

You then cover yourself by posting a photo to show all is 'personally well' between William and Catherine

It must have taken you awhile to figure out how you were going to get this speculation past the moderators.

Well played

Old 07-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I know the solution to all this and I will share it with you. As we all know, those state banquets come with the run of the mill long, boring speeches. Our Kate has found a way to get through them without having her face end up in the soup because she's fallen asleep.

(mimicking Sebastian Shakespeare) I can now let it be known that the trick Duchess Kate has to keep her mind active during these speeches is none other than trying to get through the Periodic Table Song without a mistake in her head. Its a challenge that she hopes to master and have handy to teach George when he turns 4.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Serene Highness

Queen Silvia has said she gets through long speeches by tickling her palate with the tip of her tongue
Old 07-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness

At weddings we always have 'a book on' [a bet] for how long the speeches last...
It is remarkable how much easier it is to pay attention if [a small amount of] money depends upon it [and ones timing it]...
Old 07-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Majesty

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
There isn't an engagement where the royals don't look tired, bored, sleepy etc. It's just being selective in the photos you choose.

MARG you selectively post photos to show something must be 'up' and of course go on to say we'll never know what it is.

You then cover yourself by posting a photo to show all is 'personally well' between William and Catherine

It must have taken you awhile to figure out how you were going to get this speculation past the moderators.

Well played
Of course the photos were selective. I was illustrating what was being discussed at length on line and, as I said, there were quite a few other examples I was unable to link. As to why I would feel the need to "cover myself", from what?

My interest was piqued by watching several royal video's which last longer than a momentary snap. At one stage at the banquet in the short time it was filmed, Catherine actually slumped and looked quite dejected. My guess would have been the dinner partners from hell and a headache from the LK tiara, but the other occasions did not have the dynamics of a banquet.

As to "speculation" and "the moderators', we have all discussed the demeanour of royals. Many people have called Anne, Princess Royal. grumpy, impatient, intolerant etc.(quite wrongly IMO), and HM is said to have lamented that she herself didn't have the smiling resting face of her mother.

To be honest, I think Dman's explanation sounds the most common sense, quite natural in fact.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^
Non of that addresses you think something is 'up', a very careful use of words imo.

What could be 'up'?

Dman's explantion of nerves and slight boredom you say you agree with would mean nothing was 'up' Nerves are nerves and boredom is boredom. Just that simple.

That you reassure us all is 'personally well' between the couple is again a very careful use of words on your part.

Why would anyone think things aren't personally well? Unless that's what you were trying to suggest in the first place.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Its been six years and people are on the search for shaky grounds.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nothing to see here folks move along.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Its been six years and people are on the search for shaky grounds.
Heaven forbid they ever not be smiling at each other or when in each other's presence ....

LaRae
Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Nothing to see here folks move along.
Let me be clear. I believe something was bothering Catherine. Furthermore, I do not believe it was a problem in her marriage, a falling out with her husband, etc. I was not speculating on their marriage or their children.

While people cannot keep smiling all the time, Catherine has almost perfected the non-committal resting smile which is why such a change was noticeable. I was thinking that perhaps she was in physical discomfort because even royals are not exempt from knocks wrenches, back strain, etc.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe she had a killer migraine and headache. It's so horrible the divorces of the BRF occurred because now whenever 1/2 of a couple looks glum there is automatically trouble in the relationship; and yet when they smile or look happy they are said to be faking or putting on an act.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-22-2017, 04:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Let me be clear. I believe something was bothering Catherine. Furthermore, I do not believe it was a problem in her marriage, a falling out with her husband, etc. I was not speculating on their marriage or their children.

While people cannot keep smiling all the time, Catherine has almost perfected the non-committal resting smile which is why such a change was noticeable. I was thinking that perhaps she was in physical discomfort because even royals are not exempt from knocks wrenches, back strain, etc.
Actually, I think Catherine has quite a lot of work to do on the non-committal resting smile. I thought she looked very detached, and possibly, nervous and uncomfortable at the Chinese state banquet as well as the Spanish one. At state banquets, ever so often, you get a similar glimpse of Camilla as well.

IMO, this is because both the ladies are quite conscience of having the cameras on them, and having to appear engaged all along, and not appearing to emote in any way. This must bring on a combination of nerves, tension and anxiety - but is something that they must learn to cope with. Camilla is a lot further down this path than Catherine is, just because she has been doing it since 2005. Catherine has only jut attended 2 banquets yet.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:54 AM
Royal Highness

Remember pretty much the only video/pictures we get of the RF at State Banquets are during the speeches and at both the Chinese and Spanish state banquets the visiting Head of State made his speech in his native tongue. I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm guessing I would look pretty out of it/bothered/detached listening to someone speak in another language I don't understand for 5minutes or so.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps the media was already looking to present these "bored" faces at the latest Spanish state banquet? Its been fairly recent that some enterprising journalist put together a medley of Charles looking quite bored over 64 years of his life. Give the Fail an idea and they'll run it to death. It was just Kate's turn methinks.

https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...iral/22583079/
Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think these photos are funny I bet his family tease him about some of them.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think Catherine's nerves was getting to her at the State Banquet. Pretty harmless, of course. If you pay attention to the royals faces at these Banquets, they all seem to be rather bored stiff and nervous at the same time. It's like their faces drop. It's very weird.

I personally think the Majesty of it all gets to them. Also, the speeches aren't any help. There's no joy nor humor in them. If so, it would at least help break the nervous tension and help everyone at the dinner relax. A lump would be in my throat if I was there.
I've seen some of the photographs and have to agree, Kate did looked a bit overwhelmed (rather than bored) - well it was quite an occasion after all and a very official one. She is much more used to the daytime informal official occasions with or without William, which you can whizz in and out of within an hour or so.

This is only the second official State Dinner she attended, the first was at the top table where there is a measure of being removed from the rest of the guests. The second she was placed much further down the pecking order and surrounded by guests on all sides, so am suspecting feeling much more 'up close up and personal' than she felt comfortable with. William of course would have been doing his social bit close by but out of contact.

It's all a learning curve, but married 6 years with not a substantial workload (yes a mother of two, but a mother of two with full time nanny + staff), Kate has had a fairly easy entrance to public life.

Of course they come from very different backgrounds, but I think William and the Firm that is the House of Windsor have given her exellent grounding on what it is to be a member.

Still, you can only experience State Dinners when you attend them. This one seemed more difficult for Kate than her initial one. The next will be easier.

Interesting remarks regarding her dress on social media. I thought it was lovely and suited her very well. The (much discussed) neckline reminded of her wedding dress.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am posting this here because I am not quite sure where I should put it. The Spanish State Dinner had the media and not a few of us looking at Catherine's decolletage and the stunning Ruby and Diamond Bandeau nestled there, so much so that we missed her face.

Oh dear, social media and youtube are catching up and there are a succession of photographs beginning with the dinner that shows Catherine as "stony faced" and I have to admit they are right, she is.

What happened between these photos and no, I do not believe as some have surmised that she was suddenly overcome by wearing Diana's favourite tiara and the upcoming 20th anniversary of her death as posited by some so-called knowledgeable commentators. For one thing, the Spencer Tiara was her favourite tiara and the LK was known to give her headaches.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...dge-828056.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...iam-829793.jpg

There were several other more graphic examples but I was unable to link them.

While they are supposing their little hearts out as to what is going on I have to admit that I too am wondering at her "stop a train in its tracks" look or, as my sister (a total fan) remarked "what on earth happened, her face looks like a ruptured gumboot?". I said I hadn't a clue, and I doubt anyone outside of the two of them do. But after watching several videos covering the last couple of weeks I have to admit I am beginning to think something is up.

Just to show that all is "personally well" with both she and William here is a beautiful warm shot.
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-co...2017/07/g6.jpg
I saw that look too at the State Dinner, but I didn't make much of if. Its possible she just wasn't feeling well.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps the media was already looking to present these "bored" faces at the latest Spanish state banquet? Its been fairly recent that some enterprising journalist put together a medley of Charles looking quite bored over 64 years of his life. Give the Fail an idea and they'll run it to death. It was just Kate's turn methinks.

https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...iral/22583079/
Poor Charles looks like he's watching paint dry. After looking at these pics I'd say Catherine is doing a great job.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Oh, good gravy! She sat at that table for hours and there were only two pictures, and we are to believe that 'something is up'? Maybe she had something caught between her teeth. Maybe she had cramps. Maybe a blister on her heel. Even the Queen has her 'Miss Piggy ' face from time to time. If there had been 20 pictures of Catherine, I'm willing to bet she would have had a smile on her face in most of them.

Abraham Lincoln

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge