The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015-January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Cambridge this morning held a meeting of experts convened by the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to inform Her Royal Highness’s charitable “Early Years” initiative

- Court Circular || 16 October 2018

Last edited:
Historians are great, very interesting information and heartwarming letters to see.

Here's a video fro HRH The Duchess of Cambridge visit the Imperial War Museum today.

Wow...The Family History & Information Kate found out today is just amazing. Seeing that Telegram, made it very real just how heart searing & shattering, those few words brought to so many homes.

That's one of the few positives the Centenary of WWI has brought. There's been so many new local projects done looking into local WWI History & learning it's effects...Even for me & I thought I was pretty well informed about my Family's Military Service, but I've discovered things the last few years I never knew & all thanks to Local Genealogical Projects.

For example...I've always known about my Great Uncle on Dad's side who survived The Somme & The Battle of Vimy Ridge. Never knew about the five Cousins who never made it off Vimy Ridge though. The Regional Genealogy Society decided to put a book together of the Men who fought in not just WWI, but all of Canada,s Wars, & I got a copy when it was released three years.

Of course I started looking up the Family Names & that's how I found out about them. Three are in the Vimy Cemetery & the other two, the Memorial is their Tombstone.

Same w/a Great Uncle on Mom's side. My Sister was doing some work on that side, since so much has been released in connection w/The Centenary & she found out his story. Only, he'd made it through everything, celebrated being alive w/his mates & was on his way home...When the Spanish Flu ripped through the Troop Ship.

Seeing that Telegram that was sent to Kate's many times Grandparents...All I could think of was the one that came to my many times Great Grandparents. Only, how much more painful that one was... As I said to my Sister when she told me about it, I can *not* even begin to imagine the pain & heartbreak our many Great Grandparents went through. I'm sure they were so grateful he'd survived & was coming home & I'm positive our many times Great Grandmother was planning on what of his favourite foods/meals she'd be making him his first days home & then...

Both Judy & I have tried to find a Picture of him, but so far, no luck. Kate's very lucky they have those pictures of her Great Uncles. Not to mention those letters surviving the years. That's just amazing to me & I'm glad they're part of the IWM's Archives, as they'll be properly taken care of for George, Charlotte, Louis & the new little leaf on the Middleton Family Tree to be able to cherish & look on someday.

Oh & if anyone's interested...A few years ago the BBC partnered w/PBS on a series called The Crimson Field. It was based on a fictional group of women who were among the first Voluntary Aid Detachment Members sent to Military Hospitals in France. It was excellent & didn’t deserve the only one season it got. The Creator of it even had the entire series planned out to the signing of the Armistice, but instead... Anyway...If you're interested in learning more about the VAD, & also what the Nursing Sisters experienced as well, the entire First, & sadly Only, Season is available over at iTunes. I highly, highly recommend it!!

Also, the book The Roses of No Man's Land is an excellent read that tells the Stories of these amazing incredible Women.

In case some are interested. [emoji4]

Ah, I visited the Weeping Window a couple of weeks ago; it's a beautiful display that's definitely worth taking a look at if you're ever in the Waterloo part of London! It's wonderful that Catherine also got to find out about her family history; I know how it feels to discover more about what your ancestors did during the war years - I discovered last year that my great-grandfather was a soldier in the Battle of Gallipoli (he was injured so he had to be transported back to Woolwich, where he was living at the time, as he then met my great-grandmother in a munitions factory when he returned) and it was great to find out about him because there wasn't much information on what my family had done in WWI at all (more so about WWII as my great-grandfather on the Irish side of my family was killed in the Blitz, which directly affected my family more).

Absolutely fantastic engagement for the Duchess. I loved everything about it. The surprise, the meaning, he personal family connection. I always lament the scarcity of involvement in historical/cultural events of the BRF. Charities are great, don't get me wrong and the members of the BRF contribute a lot to their existence, but it's good to see some attention give to Museums and other intellectual institutions especially from the younger generation. I hope we'll see more of them.

Absolutely outstanding visit!!

The Duchess of Cambridge this morning held a Meeting of the Steering Group convened by the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to inform Her Royal Highness’s charitable “Early Years” initiative.

- Court Circular || 20 November 2018

The Duchess of Cambridge has arrived at UCL to visit developmental neuroscientists @UCLPALS to learn about their ground-breaking research into how environment and biology interact to shape the way in which children develop both socially and emotionally @KensingtonRoyal

Professor Eamon McCrory @UCLPALS speaks with The Duchess of Cambridge about how his lab uses brain imaging to see changes in brain structure & function in children following early adversity, with the aim of developing ways to prevent mental health problems before they emerge

Last edited:
A nice treat, the Duchesses are out and about today!

THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE WILL VISIT A UCL DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROSCIENCE LAB

UCL, London

Wednesday 21st November, 2018

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit Professor Eamon McCrory, Co-Director of the Developmental Risk and Resilience Unit in the Psychology & Language Sciences Division at UCL, on Wednesday 21st November.

During the visit, The Duchess will learn more about the Unit’s neuroscience research into how environment and biology interact to shape the way in which children develop both socially and emotionally. The Unit aims to better understand the factors that contribute to healthy development, as well as those that are linked to the emergence of behavioural and emotional problems in children. Research into developmental risk and resilience has scope to inform professionals and policy makers in ways that can improve the lives of children and families.

One of The Duchess’ key areas of interest is championing the importance of providing solid social and emotional foundations for children to support their development and emotional resilience as infants, setting them on the best possible pathway for a happy and healthy adulthood. Earlier this year, Her Royal Highness set up a steering group made up of practitioners and academics from a range of disciplines, including neuroscience, mental health, nursing, perinatal care and education. This group has met several times to discuss what can be done to make a positive difference to the lives of children by focusing on their earliest stage of life, from pre-birth to infancy.

During her visit, The Duchess will be shown the Unit’s MRI Scanning Facility to learn about UCL’s groundbreaking research on how early experience shapes brain function. Her Royal Highness will be shown how the scanner is used to study the brain, and will see the resulting images that allow scientists to see differences in brain structure and function. The Duchess will hear from members of Professor McCrory’s neuroscience research team about how they work closely with children and families to shed new light on resilience following early adversity. Her Royal Highness will then join a roundtable meeting with leading researchers and students to learn about the wider ambition for developmental neuroscience.

UCL is conducting world-leading neuroscience research into the critical importance of the early years, and developing new treatments and ways of supporting children and parents. Its work includes a focus on the early parent-infant bond and how it develops; on neural plasticity (the extraordinary ability of the brain to adapt in the early years); and how genetic and environmental factors contribute to the development of conduct problems. This important work is helping to inform our understanding of early childhood development, providing new insights to radically reshape policy and practice in education and health, and to promote child well-being.

The Duchess of Cambridge today visited a team of University College London’s world-leading developmental neuroscientists.

The Duchess was there to see first-hand the ground-breaking research into how environment and biology interact to shape the way in which children develop both socially and emotionally.

A nice surprise to see Catherine out and about indeed - sounds like quite an interesting event.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...tudied-psychology-university-emerges-reveals/
The Duchess of Cambridge has revealed she studied psychology at university, as she discussed the importance of early intervention with vulnerable young children.
The Duchess, 36, visited the developmental risk and resilience unit in the Psychology and Language Sciences Division at University College London (UCL) to learn more about their work.
As well as talking to researchers, led by Prof Eamon McCrory, co-director of the unit, she was shown its MRI scanning facility and was told about the university’s ground-breaking research on how early experiences can shape brain function and development, both socially and emotionally.
She asked: “Is the idea as well that you follow the child you are looking at into adulthood? It would be really fascinating. The research in general, have they [the children and their families] got much understanding of the bigger picture?”
Earlier this year, the Duchess set up a steering group of practitioners and academics, including neuroscientists, mental health workers, nurses, perinatal care staff and teachers, to research and develop an action plan to make a positive difference to the lives of children by focusing on their early years.

Last edited by a moderator:
The research being done on early childhood and brain development in children is fascinating, and has incredible real-life implications for lifelong mental health. We are seeing such an upturn in things like depression, anxiety and other mood disorders, finding out more about how to prevent or mitigate them is a huge and very important undertaking. I'm so impressed that the Duchess is interested in and supporting that work.

On Tuesday 15th January The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the King Henry’s Walk Community Garden in Islington.

The Duchess will meet @KHWGarden volunteers to hear how the project brings people together through gardening and food growing.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE TO VISIT ISLINGTON COMMUNITY GARDEN

Islington, London

Tuesday 15th January, 2019

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the King Henry’s Walk Garden in Islington to see how the project brings people together through gardening and food growing.

The garden has been run for over a decade by community volunteers, with support from Islington Council. It contains growing plots for cultivation by local residents, where the use of organic gardening methods helps to promote a diversity of plants and wildlife, and a full programme of educational sessions and events engage the whole community. Alongside community cohesion, the garden has also helped to reduce problems such as anti-social behaviour and vandalism in the area. The garden has subsequently received many accolades, including London in Bloom’s Best Community Garden award in 2008, 2009 and 2011, and the RHS National Certificate of Distinction in 2012.

Her Royal Highness will visit the garden to meet with volunteers from the community to hear about the benefits of this urban green space. The Duchess will be shown some of their allotment plots to see the impact that can be achieved in small scale plots. Her Royal Highness will then take part in a winter planting workshop, bird box building and pizza making in the garden’s kitchen area.

Last edited:
On Tuesday 15th January The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the King Henry’s Walk Community Garden in Islington.

The Duchess will meet @KHWGarden volunteers to hear how the project brings people together through gardening and food growing.

THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE TO VISIT ISLINGTON COMMUNITY GARDEN

Islington, London

Tuesday 15th January, 2019

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the King Henry’s Walk Garden in Islington to see how the project brings people together through gardening and food growing.

The garden has been run for over a decade by community volunteers, with support from Islington Council. It contains growing plots for cultivation by local residents, where the use of organic gardening methods helps to promote a diversity of plants and wildlife, and a full programme of educational sessions and events engage the whole community. Alongside community cohesion, the garden has also helped to reduce problems such as anti-social behaviour and vandalism in the area. The garden has subsequently received many accolades, including London in Bloom’s Best Community Garden award in 2008, 2009 and 2011, and the RHS National Certificate of Distinction in 2012.

Her Royal Highness will visit the garden to meet with volunteers from the community to hear about the benefits of this urban green space. The Duchess will be shown some of their allotment plots to see the impact that can be achieved in small scale plots. Her Royal Highness will then take part in a winter planting workshop, bird box building and pizza making in the garden’s kitchen area.

Good to see her get out there. Lets hope she can get a full calender of engagements going soon.

On Wednesday 16 January The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Costume Department @RoyalOperaHouse.

The Duchess will find out more about the scale of the department’s work and their use of textiles before hearing from @TheRoyalBallet dancers about the design of their costumes.

:previous: More information on Catherine’s visit to the Royal Opera House

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Costume Department at The Royal Opera House on Wednesday 16th January to learn more about their use of textiles, commissioning of fabrics and supply chain. The visit will allow Her Royal Highness to find out more about the scale of the department’s work and how different textiles influence various costumes.

The textile and manufacturing industry is an area of interest to The Duchess. Her Royal Highness’ great-great-grandfather, Francis Martineau Lupton, was a mill owner who ran the family’s successful textile manufacturing business, William Lupton & Company, with his three brothers.

The Royal Opera House Costume Department is responsible for creating, refurbishing and conserving thousands of opera and ballet costumes per season, with up to 600 costumes per production. Up to 10,000 costumes are used each year by artists from The Royal Ballet and The Royal Opera House. The department has built up a historic costume collection of more than 5,000 items, including some dating back to 1861. Many of the costumes are used time and time again thanks to good maintenance and repair. It takes the entire revival workroom around 1,500 hours to refurbish the costumes.

During her visit to the Costume Department, Her Royal Highness will visit the pattern room where she will be shown the process of working and creating costumes for a new production with designers, including sourcing fabrics and samples. The Duchess will then visit the dye shop where staff will showcase different techniques including dyeing, hand-painting, staining garments and digital printing which allows the team to reproduce historic fabrics no longer available. Her Royal Highness will also meet costumiers in the Work Room working on multiple new shows.

Before departing, The Duchess will then meet with Royal Ballet Principal Dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, Laura Morera and Vadim Muntagirov who will explain how various factors such as lighting, interaction and movement influence the designs of their costumes. Her Royal Highness will then watch the dancers rehearsing the romantic Ballet The Two Pigeons

Before departing, The Duchess will then meet with Royal Ballet Principal Dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, Laura Morera and Vadim Muntagirov who will explain how various factors such as lighting, interaction and movement influence the designs of their costumes. Her Royal Highness will then watch the dancers rehearsing the romantic Ballet The Two Pigeons

I realize that Charlotte will be in school and certainly won't be taken out of school to attend with the Duchess but I wish she could. It appears that both Catherine and Charlotte have a love for the ballet and after their outing in December I can see this type of engagement being one of the first to get Charlotte used to attending engagements when she's ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's the day! We couldn't think of a better champion for TGC's aim of giving city children, young people and families the opportunity to benefit by spending time outdoors in natural environments. We welcome HRH the Duchess of Cambridge today @KHWGarden

Via The Garden Classroom Twitter

Does anyone know whether Kate has been able to design a family garden at Kensington palace similar to what she is designing for the Chelsea Flower show? Or isn't the space at KP big enough? I think that they have a private garden at Anmer though.

Last edited:
Fantastic opportunity for kids to enjoy a bit of nature, some crafting and a snack today.

The Duchess of Cambridge joined a group of school children in pizza-making during a visit to a community garden in North London.

HRH told the children that making pizzas outside was the “coolest thing ever” and went on to say that George and Charlotte would “love” to do this.

Here is an extended clip of today's engagement. Very long and lots of great footage.

Does anyone know whether Kate has been able to design a family garden at Kensington palace similar to what she is designing for the Chelsea Flower show? Or isn't the space at KP big enough? I think that they have a private garden at Anmer though.

They certainly have a reasonable sized garden at KP. How it is landscaped is certainly not in the public domain. Anmer, on the other had, has extensive gardens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom