The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's harder to find a working Royal without a knighthood. All the Queen's children and first cousins who are Royal have multiple knighthoods. The Duchesses of Kent, Gloucester, Cornwall, Countess of Wessex all have them. William and Harry have 3 between the 2 of them.

It's not like William and Harry Smith if they were regular citizens would have any knighthoods by this point in their lives. Rod Stewart just got his this year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Maybe this should be moved to the Honors thread or somewhere else but I was under the impression that the royals were bestowed with Orders at the Queen's discretion and the knighthoods such as Rod Stewart was awarded were bestowed by nominations and approval by the government.

Not enough coffee yet today it seems. At least I'm not getting "defender of faith" and "defender of the faith" mixed up as I used to and Iluvbertie patiently corrected me over and over and over.... ad infinitum.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Any pic of her curtsey to the King ?

https://youtu.be/30hO4IMaeiY

Old 10-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's harder to find a working Royal without a knighthood. All the Queen's children and first cousins who are Royal have multiple knighthoods. The Duchesses of Kent, Gloucester, Cornwall, Countess of Wessex all have them. William and Harry have 3 between the 2 of them.

It's not like William and Harry Smith if they were regular citizens would have any knighthoods by this point in their lives. Rod Stewart just got his this year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Catherine's is coming, I can feel it!!!!

Video:
Kate cheered by Dutch crowds on first solo royal trip abroad-
Kate cheered by Dutch crowds on first solo royal trip abroad - BBC News

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2h2 hours ago
Helping the kids fix their bikes even in that suit...
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...76295293034497

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 1h1 hour ago
Textiles, ceramics, bike mechanics and IT programming are just some of the skills local craftsman share with local kids @BouwKeet_RTD
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...84453440815104

Chris Jackson ‏@ChrisJack_Getty 16m16 minutes ago
The Duchess of Cambridge got fully involved in all the classes at @BouwKeet_RTD in Rotterdam including robotics, woodworking and woollens
https://twitter.com/ChrisJack_Getty/...96600359100416

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Nobility

What an awful painting the King had in that room where he met Kate. I actually thought it was a whiteboard for a minute!
Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Majesty

kate did well in curtsying (if she did, still have not seen pictures). although not done in netherlands, it is still the way it is done in the UK and kate is a british royal. besides, better to err on the side of caution. if she hadn't done it i bet there would be critics asking why she didn't.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
"The Duchess of Cambridge is making her first solo royal trip overseas, travelling to The Hague and Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

On her visit to the Mauritshuis art museum in The Hague, she was greeted by cheering crowds, and broke away to talk to well-wishers.

The BBC's Nicholas Witchell reports."
Kate cheered by Dutch crowds on first solo royal trip abroad - BBC News

Nice curtsey as usual.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm beyond proud of Catherine on the job she's done so far as a senior member of the royal family. I'm sure William and rest of her families are proud too. I definitely see a knighthood coming for her. It will well deserved, IMO.
I seriously doubt one 6 hour trip across the Channel will be enough for the Queen to give her a knighthood (are you thinking RFO or RVO?). IMO, she still does not do enough work at home let alone abroad! Yes, I know she has two young children at home, but so do millions of other women and they manage to work full-time and raise perfectly normal children. A busy day and a half is not nearly enough to warrant an award IMO.

I fear that some on this board and other boards are trying to elevate her to a near saintlike status for her support of mental health awareness, dressing nice and smiling for the crowds at her occasional public appearance. If she were working at an even halfway level of someone like the Princess Royal, then I think that a recognition from the Queen might be in order. But just because she married into the family, produced two children, dresses nice and supports a few worthwhile causes doesn't mean she is to be fawned and cried over like I see happening.

I'm sure I will be vilified for saying my opinion, but please remember, I am not attacking her, just stating my opinion about what I see and read.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m2 minutes ago
Kate has a go with a Lego robot
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...12475803877376

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Courtier

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" now has a couple of photos from some-one inside the plane on Catherine's flight back to the UK.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
"Daily Mail/Mail Online" now has a couple of photos from some-one inside the plane on Catherine's flight back to the UK.
here we go!
Kate visits The Hague and Rotterdam for first solo trip without William | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
I fear that some on this board and other boards are trying to elevate her to a near saintlike status for her support of mental health awareness, dressing nice and smiling for the crowds at her occasional public appearance.
As always, different opinions are always welcomed here and respected and I believe that there are many among us that feel the same way that you do.

We're really just at the cusp now of seeing both William and Kate stepping into the next stage of how they fit into the British Royal Family's "Firm" and its expected that the time is nearing that the Cambridges will take on full time, royal duties. They have been given the blessing of being able to marry and ensure that the marriage in on solid footing and then starting a family and being able to put their children as their primary focus. This hiatus did absolutely nothing to impede the public's interest in them and wherever they go, they are warmly greeted and appreciated.

For William and Kate, once they step into full time royal duties, they know that their lives will be more hectic and more demanding and it will remain that way for the rest of their lives. Its not too far fetched of an idea that as time passes, we're going to see less and less of Anne (something tells me though that she will keep going and going like the Energizer Bunny until she can go no more) and more and more of Kate. Its the natural progression on how things go.

One reason I feel that it probably is a thing in the very near future that Kate would receive recognition in the form of an order from HM is (and this is just my opinion) that from what I've seen, Kate seems to have a natural rapport with the Queen and the entire family for the most part. She is getting comfortable with the roles that lie ahead of her and most importantly, I think she makes a pretty good team with her husband and brother-in-law.

A lot of royal watchers have been waiting for the day to come when William and Kate step up their game and represent Crown and Country on a more daily basis. I don't think we will be disappointed one bit.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Love the pictures here of Catherine meeting the children.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wow! Catherine did a fantastic job on her first solo visit. She was greeted with such warmth and good cheer by The King, officials and crowds. Her royal highness has come a long way in her role and it's going to grow even more.

Yes, I think the time is coming for Catherine to receive a formal recognition for her years of service by Her Majesty The Queen.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...otterdam-visit

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Very proud of Catherine. She's doing wonderful things in mental health

Quote:
...But the main focus of the day is hosting a roundtable discussion with two of Kate’s charities, the Anna Freud Centre, which supports children’s mental health, and Action on Addiction, which concentrates on the harmful effects to families of drug and alcohol abuse.

They will join with representatives from the Trimbos Institute, which conducts research into the same issues.

“She has initiated a brilliant idea of bringing institutions together that have similar interests,” says Peter Fonagy, the chief executive of the Anna Freud Centre, who joined Kate in Holland. “She’s aiming to help us learn from each other and bring back what there is from each side.”

The bridge-building could signal a widening of her initiative, he says: “Because of her charisma, because of her interest, she is able to bring together people who would not normally be talking to one another and that brings enormous value.”
Read more: Princess Kate Makes First Solo Trip as a Royal
Old 10-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Courtier

Thank you for posting the link Duke of Marmalade.

I guess little George and Charlotte would have been tucked up in bed asleep by the time Catherine got home.

The "Daily Mail/Mail Online" is reporting she took the last flight of the day, from Rotterdam to the London City airport, departing the Netherlands at 7.15pm.

Last on and first off the plane - whisked away in the car on the tarmac before the other passengers could disembark.

And although some-one's photos got made public, it sounds as though plenty of people onboard couldn't resist taking their own memorable snaps of the day they flew with Royalty.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duchess with a pearl earring: Kate*borrows Queen's jewellery to view famous painting on first solo foreign*trip

Video Clip:
Catherine greeting the crowds-
Kensington Palace

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-12-2016, 04:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice tweet from Kensington Palace:

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

It reads in Dutch:

Bedankt voor jullie gastvrijheid Nederland! Het was gezellig!

Translated in English:

Thanks for your hospitality, Netherlands! It was gezellig! (hard to translate: a mix of cosiness with enjoyablility and pleasantness).
Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting the Foreign Office stresses Catherine's visit says so much about the friendship between the UK and the NL. I guess there was something to the 'soft diplomacy' stories after all.

Nick Heath @nickheathfco
Privilege to have The Duchess here. Her visit said so much about modern friendship between UK and NL (&thanks to Aad Hoogendoorn for photo!)

https://twitter.com/nickheathfco/sta...85803025891333
Old 10-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Majesty

Lets face it. When we really think about it, relationships between nations are very similar to relationships we have as individuals. We can be best friends with another person even if they have different viewpoints on politics than we do.

Its not rocket science.
― John Lennon
Old 10-15-2016, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge has written the foreword for this @GCHQ puzzle book supporting @heads_together
https://www.gchq.gov.uk/news-article...er-puzzle-book

Quote:
Aspiring code-breakers are being challenged by the UK's national intelligence and security agency in a new puzzle book backed by the Duchess of Cambridge.

GCHQ is releasing its first puzzle collection, which includes a foreword written by Kate, whose grandmother was a Bletchley Park code-breaker during the Second World War.

In the book's foreword, the Duchess writes that she is "immensely" proud of her grandmother, Valerie Glassborow, and her twin sister, Mary, who were part of the Allied effort to break enemy codes.

She said: "They rarely talked about their wartime service, but we now know just how important the men and women of Bletchley Park were, as they tackled some of the hardest problems facing the country.

"In a new century, their successors at GCHQ continue this intellectual tradition. Like their Bletchley predecessors, they have become well known for valuing neurodiversity and understanding the importance of mental well-being."

All GCHQ proceeds from the book will be donated to Heads Together, the campaign spearheaded by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, to tackle stigma, raise awareness and provide vital help for people with mental health challenges.
Read more: GCHQ releases first ever puzzle collection for aspiring code-breakers | London Evening Standard

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge