The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2016, 07:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Catherine will be in Holland for a day, when's William going to Vietnam?

Old 10-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Royals have been used for soft diplomacies for years. It's one the their main roles when abroad.

The Netherlands is one of Britain's largest EU trading partners and haven't had a visit from a senior British royal in 3 years. Who better to go than the future Queen.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate may not be Queen for another twenty years or more,(by which time Britain and Europe will have changed dramatically) and she's unlikely to return to the Netherlands for another few years anyway.

I doubt very very much (in fact I'd put money on it) that Kate would be talking about Brexit (or any other sort of government policy for that matter) with King Willem Alexander or any politician crossing her path.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I seriously doubt also that Kate will be discussing Brexit or any other topic with political ties in the Netherlands. Perhaps soft topics like art masters of both countries and what the Netherlands is doing as far as bringing attention to the issues of mental health and certain topics that are pertinent yet uncontroversial.

It kind of reminds me of William's trip to China. He met with the President and officially issued an invitation to visit Britain at Her Majesty's request which did happen and we saw the Cambridges at their first state dinner. He also, while there, focused quite a bit on his conservation efforts and was pretty successful with getting China on board I believe.

Although senior royals do visit other countries representing their monarch, they are seen more as ambassadors of the UK rather than political strategists or having an agenda to cement between two countries.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

The royals are doing their diplomatic duties. Catherine is simply doing that. We are seeing the royals stepping up their roles now. Not getting totally political, but acting in the UK's best interest.

To try to make it seem this would be Catherine's job alone is pretty much misleading.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Agree with Curryong, Dman and Osipi that "Brexit" is not likely to be a topic of serious discussion between W-A and Catherine. That is a matter for their respective governments and their elected representatives.

However I would expect that he will be a gracious and personable host who likely remembers his first solo visits abroad and will do his best to put his guest at ease. Years ago some other monarch would have done the same for the then Prince of Orange and later for his wife. Both W-A and Catherine know the "boundaries" that accompany their roles as members of a modern European reigning house. Like Osipi mentioned safe topics that are related to her charities and patronages along with friendly chats about kids and family are likely to be the focus of their meeting.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess isn't going to discussing Brexit but with Brexit the U.K. may adjust which countries that try to woo. The royals are part of the wooing process. Other than the Queen going to France, Germany and Italy, there has not been a lot of attention to Europe and the royals have been sent to other places such as South America, Asia and commonwealth countries. Now with Brexit, the U.K. may choose to focus more on their European neighbors. So maybe next year the Cambridges go to Germany instead of South Africa or Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I, personally, would think that trips to the Commonwealth nations would be at a higher priority than the European ones as Will and Kate up their foreign tours but that's just me.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm just glad she's doing this. It's time and she's ready to take on more prominent roles within the firm.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I understand that Catherine is there for official reasons but, as she's one of my favourite European royals; a part of me wonders if she will get the chance to meet Queen Maxima whilst she is in the Netherlands. I read that Maxima has an engagement tomorrow though but I'm not entirely sure if I read correctly.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I understand that Catherine is there for official reasons but, as she's one of my favourite European royals; a part of me wonders if she will get the chance to meet Queen Maxima whilst she is in the Netherlands. I read that Maxima has an engagement tomorrow though but I'm not entirely sure if I read correctly.
Isn't Maxima supposed to be in Argentina on the 12th? So she would probably leave the 11th and might not see Kate.

I find it interesting that suddenly people want Kate it have an opinion when they're all over Charles for ever having an opinion.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Nobility

Much like the Queen, she'll head abroad, say nothing of any import politically and lots of locals will come out to get a look at her.

The government clearly think this will be useful, for whatever reason, otherwise they wouldn't let her go.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
Isn't Maxima supposed to be in Argentina on the 12th? So she would probably leave the 11th and might not see Kate.
That must be the engagement I was thinking about because I just double checked and according to Google, Maxima is in Argentina from the 11th until the 12th, so you're right.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Nobility

What difference would meeting Maxima make? She's not the monarch and they've met before.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
What difference would meeting Maxima make? She's not the monarch and they've met before.
No difference, it was just a simple light-hearted wonder of mine, that's all... I even stated that I knew Catherine was there for official reasons in the first part of my post.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

According to the Dutch royal website, it's 'only' the King having lunch with The Duchess of Cambridge

On Tuesday 11 October His Majesty the King will be receiving Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge for lunch at Villa Eikenhorst in Wassenaar.

https://www.royal-house.nl/latest/ne...s-of-cambridge
Old 10-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

According to the Dutch website above, she will be doing four things, seeing an art exhibit that was lent from Britain, visiting a mental health place and another place and having lunch with the king. Busy day!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The first photos:

Kate aangekomen bij koning Willem-Alexander - Royalty Online

The two posed in the living room of villa Eikenhorst.

I am quite sure any unpleasant Brexit-talk will be evaded. The Dutch RF is traditionally very pro-EU while IIRC the duke and duchess of Cambrige are reading the Spectator -which may be an indication on where they stand on this issue- so better to stick to pleasantries instead. If all fails they can always complain about the weather, which in Wassenaar must be as grey and dull as in London today.

The visit may be useful for the projects involved indeed. I am quite sure few will have the illusion that this visit -or any other visits by British royals to other EU member states- will have any impact at all on the negociations.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Here's a gallery by anp and one by gettyimages:

** gettyimages: NLD: The Duchess Of Cambridge Visits The Netherlands **
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
It would generate more headlines (fashion/personality comparing), so more interesting for the media. WA is monarch but dull.

Quote:
Much like the Queen, she'll head abroad, say nothing of any import politically and lots of locals will come out to get a look at her.

The government clearly think this will be useful, for whatever reason, otherwise they wouldn't let her go.
Agree 100%

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge