The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
That's because folks want her to be some kind of superwoman.
Perhaps many had the expectations that a royal princess is somehow different than any ordinary female and Kate is doing her best to give people the "real" Kate that is down to earth, a homemaker and mother of 2 that just happens to be married to the future King and that everyday life is not wearing stunning evening gowns, tiaras and dripping lots of diamonds and sparklies.

As we've seen just recently with the Cambridges' tour of India, the Vogue photo shoot and today in the Magic Gardens, what you see is what you get and that's someone being herself and doing her best in all aspects of her life.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Majesty

looks like a fun garden
cute picture with one of the kids there
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/K...JVV1zPEdWx.jpg

Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps many had the expectations that a royal princess is somehow different than any ordinary female and Kate is doing her best to give people the "real" Kate that is down to earth, a homemaker and mother of 2 that just happens to be married to the future King and that everyday life is not wearing stunning evening gowns, tiaras and dripping lots of diamonds and sparklies.

As we've seen just recently with the Cambridges' tour of India, the Vogue photo shoot and today in the Magic Gardens, what you see is what you get and that's someone being herself and doing her best in all aspects of her life.
And other than brooches, when I look at the Queen when she was young, there is not so very much difference in the two. JMO.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
And other than brooches, when I look at the Queen when she was young, there is not so very much difference in the two. JMO.
Y'know, I never had that thought but now that you mention it, its a perfect fit.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Not much difference? When the Queen was young she (and Prince Philip) were away from Britain (and their very young children) for months at a time, touring Commonwealth and Empire countries. The Queen made speeches without stumbling, dealt with red boxes, signed pieces of legislation into law, (something Kate will never do) and was Head of State. She met the PM on a weekly basis, other Ministers and Commonwealth leaders.

Elizabeth wasn't defined as a wife and mother or a clothes horse or anything else other than a monarch. Yes, news reports of the time mentioned her clothes and gowns (not her hair) but they weren't the main focus of her appearances in news items, as they are so often with Kate.

And I'm afraid Kate is still nervous at public appearances and making speeches. She clutches her purse to her front still, like her life depends on it, making her often appear wooden. Her speeches also show a certain amount of nerves. So no, she's not like the Queen in my eyes.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Not much difference? When the Queen was young she (and Prince Philip) were away from Britain (and their very young children) for months at a time, touring Commonwealth and Empire countries. The Queen made speeches without stumbling, dealt with red boxes, signed pieces of legislation into law, (something Kate will never do) and was Head of State. She met the PM on a weekly basis, other Ministers and Commonwealth leaders.

Elizabeth wasn't defined as a wife and mother or a clothes horse or anything else other than a monarch. Yes, news reports of the time mentioned her clothes and gowns (not her hair) but they weren't the main focus of her appearances in news items, as they are so often with Kate.
I don't think AdmirerUS meant it like that.

Quote:
And I'm afraid Kate is still nervous at public appearances and making speeches. She clutches her purse to her front still, like her life depends on it, making her often appear wooden. Her speeches also show a certain amount of nerves. So no, she's not like the Queen in my eyes.
When I look at Kate, I see a young woman who is kind, down to earth and great with people/kids.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

It's unfair to even try to compare Catherine to The Queen. We're in a different time and the roles and responsibilities are different. Also, The Queen came into her job at a very early age. Although we praise Her Majesty on her job, she too went through her salad days. She learned as the years went on. The media gave her the respectable room to learn along the way.

There's too much pressure on Catherine today. Royal watchers and media want her to be the perfect and seasoned princess overnight.

The Duchess of Cambridge has made great progress over these past five years and more responsibility is now falling on her. We just have to continue to give her time to grow.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Majesty

I took the comparison to mean in demeanor. Both are on the quiet side, love the country and can be frugal rather than extravagant. Both prefer simple pieces of jewelry and for the most part, prefer solids over prints. That kind of thing.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Aristocracy

I'm always bemused when people suggest that Catherine is a terrible speech maker by pointing to the Queen and saying "see, that's how it's done".

Catherine clearly models her live speech habits on the Queen, who *still* looks down most of the time to read her speeches. Watch the video of HM addressing the United Nations and keep track of how many times she looks down at the page. It's about once per sentence, same as Catherine.

It's not a lack of practice on Catherine's part, it's a style she's adopted from HM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I took the comparison to mean in demeanor. Both are on the quiet side, love the country and can be frugal rather than extravagant. Both prefer simple pieces of jewelry and for the most part, prefer solids over prints. That kind of thing.
I know what you mean, Osipi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
I'm always bemused when people suggest that Catherine is a terrible speech maker by pointing to the Queen and saying "see, that's how it's done".

Catherine clearly models her live speech habits on the Queen, who *still* looks down most of the time to read her speeches. Watch the video of HM addressing the United Nations and keep track of how many times she looks down at the page. It's about once per sentence, same as Catherine.

It's not a lack of practice on Catherine's part, it's a style she's adopted from HM.
I guess it's all down to just making the speech and not try to play up the cameras and crowds. Basic speech making. Catherine has improved in that department though. It's always good to hear from her, rather than just hearing and reading journalist comments. Although, she haven't made a speech in a while.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Exactly! And that's what I thought both you and AdmirerUS meant.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know whether the public would regard either of the Cambridges as necessarily being frugal when their way of life and the refurbishments at Anmer and apartment 1A are contemplated!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't know whether the public would regard either of the Cambridges as necessarily being frugal when their way of life and the refurbishments at Anmer and apartment 1A are contemplated!
I don't take that really into consideration for the reasons being that KP needed the work done to preserve the structure and integrity of the building. W&K (with the probable help from Charles) funded the interior. They'll be living and using that apartment for quite a while. Same with Anmer. Most was done as upkeep for a building on the Queen's Sandringham estate.

They own neither residence but one day William is expected to inherit Sandringham.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This thread isn't about William, or the refurbishments at KP/Anmer. Please let's stay on topic.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

First News is the UK's only weekly newspaper for young people with over 2 million readers

Nicky Cox MBE @FirstNewsEditor
Huge thanks to the Duchess of Cambridge for her @First_News birthday tribute which you can read on our front page.

https://twitter.com/FirstNewsEditor/...27046363160580
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know of any upcoming appearances by the Duchess of Cambridge before the Trooping of the Colour in June? I looked at the official website under the future engagements for each member of the royal family, but I did not see anything.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:06 PM
Aristocracy

Engagements for William, Catherine, and Harry are generally (major foreign tours excepted) announced no more than 2 weeks ahead, and rarely appear on the future events section.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Several posts have been deleted as they ignored the Moderator's request to return to the topic of the thread. Please do not ignore Moderator posts and they are made for a purpose.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer:
The Duchess of Cambridge met representatives working in support of services for women in prisons yesterday before going to Chelsea-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalRepo...00807754567680

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Richard Palmer:
The Duchess of Cambridge met representatives working in support of services for women in prisons yesterday before going to Chelsea-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalRepo...00807754567680
This is great. This together with the visit at a prison before. I wonder if she's looking into getting involved with a patronage connected to women in prison. That would be great. Either way, it is great !

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge