The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Majesty

Kate wrote a very good message! Simple but not granted, adding some personal touches here and there. I hav nothing to complain about thi time, because it was a great initiative and the message seems to have come out loud and clear!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Mental health problems should no longer be seen as "taboo", the Duchess of Cambridge has written as guest editor of the Huffington Post UK website.

The duchess wrote that she and her husband, the Duke of Cambridge, "would not hesitate" to seek help if their two children needed it.

Her comments marked the launch of the Young Minds Matter editorial series.

US First Lady Michelle Obama said she was pleased Catherine was shining a "bright light on mental health".

The duchess has been guest editing the Huffington Post on Wednesday from a temporary newsroom in Kensington Palace.
Read more: Michelle Obama praises Kate's Huffington Post mental health edition - BBC News

Old 02-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Video:
The Duchess of Cambridge has guest edited today’s edition of the Huffington Post UK, as part of an initiative to raise awareness of children’s mental health issues. Based in a special ‘newsroom’ at Kensington Palace, the 34 year old royal has worked with a team of writers and editors and met children including young Haydan Pearce. Diana Award CEO Tessy Ojo and Huff Post Editor-in-Chief Stephen Hull say today’s event is all about starting a conversation about an issue close to the Duchess’s heart.

Home - ITNSource News
Old 02-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cambridge guest edits the Huffington Post from a temporary newsroom in Kensington Palace

Old 02-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

This initiative was more impressive than I expected it to be- she did very well and managed to pull together several of her patronages on it, plus involved the Prince's Trust which is great.

Good news on the Anna Freud Center as well

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is there anywhere else I can read Catherine's piece at? The Huffington Post is now among those sites I see for a second before that blasted Twitter Widget Help blank pop up page that I can't get off comes up.

I think I know the answer already, but asking anyway...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Here's Catherine's article.

Let's Make a Real Difference for an Entire Generation of Young Children - Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge

Here's a roundup of all the articles that were written for the project.

Young Minds Matter - Huffington Post UK

I'm really impressed. Kate did an excellent job guest editing today. This project produced some really informative and touching articles and I’m glad that childhood mental health is getting so much attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post
Amazing job by the Duchess and the HuffpostUK!! The articles and videos are amazing and so informative!! Been reading all day and cant get enough. True reflection of the many issues around child mental health.

Their hashtag #YoungMindsMatter has been trending for hours in the UK & is now trending in the US. When you follow the hashtag #YoungMindsMatter, you get to see a lot more stories being shared by the general public with regards to their experiences with mental health as children/ through their own children. Public opinion hugely positive and supportive of the initiative.
Great that people like Michelle Obama and David Cameron are also voicing their support.
Its been a very successful initiative and a great day for child mental health as more people are voicing their support.
I agree...it was great to see the First Lady and so many others getting involved and sharing stories.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think Catherine's article was beautifully written and I agreed with all of her sentiments. I developed depression myself last October and although I'm receiving support from a physciatrist now, though at first people whom I talked to about it just seemed to overlook it and I'd been told to "get over it" by a councillor once. Mental health is defiantly an issue that needs to be talked more about here in the UK so that people have a better and more clear understanding of it.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The "get over it" attitude is one I've heard time and time again from many various different people who have sought out counseling and support and to be honest, any therapist or doctor or psychologist that would even think to say something like that needs to take a good long look at the profession they're in and make a life change themselves. The "ignore it and it'll go away" is the most unreliable, quick fix to a problem that any human being can do when faced with a problem.

It is, to me, simply amazing how the impact that this mental health week with Kate guest editing the Huffington Post has hit the mainstream. It is top trending on Twitter and no matter where I've looked today as far as news sources, its there in blazing photographs, stories and commentaries. We may think that the Duchess of Cambridge could do more ribbon cutting and photo ops and getting out there on duties, but seriously, when you think of the impact just this one event has caused, its monumental. This is quality over quantity.

I think one reason for this is that with the planning and co-ordinating of this entire event, one thing we will notice is that it is not just about Kate and her involvement with this issue but its like they've rallied the troops behind her to support her and get this message out and it wasn't just one location. It went international when you think of the involvement of Michelle Obama and national when you think of David Cameron.

The train has left the station on the issue of mental health and its going to be picking up many more passengers and hit a multitude of stations and leave its mark that its been there.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I think Catherine's article was beautifully written and I agreed with all of her sentiments. I developed depression myself last October and although I'm receiving support from a physciatrist now, though at first people whom I talked to about it just seemed to overlook it and I'd been told to "get over it" by a councillor once. Mental health is defiantly an issue that needs to be talked more about here in the UK so that people have a better and more clear understanding of it.
Wishing you the best as you continue on this journey HereditaryPrincess.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

First, Thank Goodness my Sister and Brother in Law came for an overnight visit, as I was able to use her iPad to access Huff Post UK and read Catherine's piece. Well Done Your Royal Highness!! I especially liked the part of how when talking to those helped by Action On Addiction or The Art Room during her first years as a Royal, she realized many who suffer from Mental Health Issues, those Issues have their roots in Childhood because it is so very true and sadly I know far too well myself. It's the reason I don't use the B word and call it what it is : Abuse. Considering the Hell I went through, it's amazing I didn't have a breakdown or come away in a wheelchair or both!!

Reason I say the second part of that is due to the kids taking vicious advantage of my limited vision and "helping" me down the stairs and into lockers several times a day.

Thanks to that, I suffer from PTSD and I have lost count how many times over the years when someone has done something, usually sneaking up from behind and doing the "Gotcha!!" thing which can trigger a minor to full blown Panic Attack, I have been told to either "Get over it" or "When are you going to grow up?" due to my "overreacting to what happened...." I wish it was that easy and I also battle Depression as well and have also been told to just "Focus on the happy things..." It doesn't work that way sadly and while people are starting to change, there's still such a long way to go in awareness.

Which is why it is SO important what HRH is doing w/tackling Mental Health Issues, but especially among our Young People. She is someone People will listen and pay attention to, which was made abundantly clear on Wednesday w/all of the reaction to her Guest Editing of the Huffington Post UK to launch the Young Lives Matter campaign. As I said, Well Done Your Royal Highness!!

Hereditary Princess, I'm glad to hear you're getting help battling your Demons. While I don't know what form your Depression takes, if you ever need a shoulder to lean on, I'm only a PM away. :)

Old 02-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Majesty

Video: Duchess of Cambridge meets her match in tennis workshop with Judy Murray - Telegraph

"Kate used the Royal flight, at a cost of more than £3,000, rather than taking a train or scheduled flight which would have cost the taxpayer less than £200.
Last month, the Duchess was criticised for using the Royal helicopter to fly back to her Norfolk home after an engagement in London, when the Queen took a £55 train journey to make the same trip in reverse."
Old 02-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It never ceases to amaze me how its constantly being portrayed that its Kate, herself, that conjures up these expensive means of royal travel. All travel for all the royals are arranged, confirmed and most of all approved by HM, The Queen before anything happens.

The whole purpose of having transportation available so that engagements can be carried out is to ensure that they can get to where they need to be and back again.

Another aspect that was brought up is that perhaps Kate could have taken a "less expensive" mode of travel. Sure, she could have but when you think about it, it would require quite a bit more security which perhaps would have required a "sweep" of the train or flight beforehand which could really inconvenience other travelers.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Exactly right. It's the Queen's flight.

Cost is only one factor. According to the Sovereign Grant Act, the following is taken into account

Safety

Security

Value for money

Length of journey

Transport which is consistent with the requirement and dignity of occasion taking into account whether the aircraft landing site is in the public eye

Which represents the most effective use of the Royal Family’s time

And which minimises disruption to others.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015

Plus the helicopters of the Queen's flight are leased. It isn't the same price as if you walked off the street and rented one for a couple of hours. The Queen coming back to London from Norfolk for £59 is bs. She is in a first class car by herself while a Royal chauffeur is driving a Range Rover full of corgi back plus probably a truck full of luggage.

The helicopter is being used how is supposed to be. Funny it's only Kate, William or Charles that gets flack for using it when all the royals use it.

If a public train or plane was used. You need security motorcade to station or airport. Plane would need sweeped, luggage checked, passengers checked, train sweeped plus multiple stops where people can get on/off, motorcade from airport/station to event. Which is more disrupt versus helicopter landing at palace and then near event?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

The train journey from Kings Lynn to Edinburgh takes between 5.5 and 7.5 hrs! From London, the fastest is c. 4.5 hours.

This is the reason that many journalists flew to Edinburgh!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Duchess of Cambridge has arrived in Edinburgh to carry out a series of engagements. The final stop in the day will take her to Craigmount High School, in the west of the city, where Judy Murray will host a Tennis on the Road coaching clinic-

Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Wishing you the best as you continue on this journey HereditaryPrincess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
First, Thank Goodness my Sister and Brother in Law came for an overnight visit, as I was able to use her iPad to access Huff Post UK and read Catherine's piece. Well Done Your Royal Highness!! I especially liked the part of how when talking to those helped by Action On Addiction or The Art Room during her first years as a Royal, she realized many who suffer from Mental Health Issues, those Issues have their roots in Childhood because it is so very true and sadly I know far too well myself. It's the reason I don't use the B word and call it what it is : Abuse. Considering the Hell I went through, it's amazing I didn't have a breakdown or come away in a wheelchair or both!!

Reason I say the second part of that is due to the kids taking vicious advantage of my limited vision and "helping" me down the stairs and into lockers several times a day.

Thanks to that, I suffer from PTSD and I have lost count how many times over the years when someone has done something, usually sneaking up from behind and doing the "Gotcha!!" thing which can trigger a minor to full blown Panic Attack, I have been told to either "Get over it" or "When are you going to grow up?" due to my "overreacting to what happened...." I wish it was that easy and I also battle Depression as well and have also been told to just "Focus on the happy things..." It doesn't work that way sadly and while people are starting to change, there's still such a long way to go in awareness.

Which is why it is SO important what HRH is doing w/tackling Mental Health Issues, but especially among our Young People. She is someone People will listen and pay attention to, which was made abundantly clear on Wednesday w/all of the reaction to her Guest Editing of the Huffington Post UK to launch the Young Lives Matter campaign. As I said, Well Done Your Royal Highness!!

Hereditary Princess, I'm glad to hear you're getting help battling your Demons. While I don't know what form your Depression takes, if you ever need a shoulder to lean on, I'm only a PM away. :)

I was touched by both of your thoughtful replies, thank you both for your kind words. Suddenly having these feelings more often than before is difficult but I feel like now that I have a good therapist, I'm starting to improve.

And Tiggersk8, the same goes to you, if you ever need someone to talk with, you know where my PM button is.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-28-2016, 04:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks!! :)

I was talking to a Cousin, who was a Pediatric Physio until Breast Cancer found her, about The Art Room the other day. She still tries to help by checking out various Organizations for our Children's Treatment Centre, since she has more free time to do that than her former workmates do, and as she saw who their Royal Patron was decided to pick my brains about it. During our chat I directed her to Place2Be as another Organization she might be interested in looking into, as I know all too well how Disabled Kids are prime targets in their Schools.

Which is why she was interested in these, now two, Organizations. They're looking into various ways and methods to use in helping the kids express what's going on, especially the non verbal kids w/Severe Cerebral Palsy. So knowing me as she does, and knowing the interest I'd have in such Organizations because of Kate's Patronage, decided to have that little chat w/me.

As I told her, from what I've seen and learned, there would be quite a few programs they run, that could be used w/her "Kids" here. She's going to contact both and see what happens from there. Anyway, there's another example of just what Kate supporting these Organizations as Royal Patron can do. A tiny pebble can create many ripples. :)

Old 03-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Thanks!! :)

I was talking to a Cousin, who was a Pediatric Physio until Breast Cancer found her, about The Art Room the other day. She still tries to help by checking out various Organizations for our Children's Treatment Centre, since she has more free time to do that than her former workmates do, and as she saw who their Royal Patron was decided to pick my brains about it. During our chat I directed her to Place2Be as another Organization she might be interested in looking into, as I know all too well how Disabled Kids are prime targets in their Schools.

Which is why she was interested in these, now two, Organizations. They're looking into various ways and methods to use in helping the kids express what's going on, especially the non verbal kids w/Severe Cerebral Palsy. So knowing me as she does, and knowing the interest I'd have in such Organizations because of Kate's Patronage, decided to have that little chat w/me.

As I told her, from what I've seen and learned, there would be quite a few programs they run, that could be used w/her "Kids" here. She's going to contact both and see what happens from there. Anyway, there's another example of just what Kate supporting these Organizations as Royal Patron can do. A tiny pebble can create many ripples. :)

I've been working with non-verbal kids since September and with kids who have special needs since age sixteen, and I could never understood why their mental health is not taken as seriously as that of typical children. So many of my kids are struggling to express what they're feeling through various communication methods ranging from facial expression and vocalizations to dynoboxes and other computer-based programs and my heart breaks when the teachers or therapists dismiss what the kids are trying to tell them. I had a little girl crying hysterically because she's getting ready for an operation and was not supposed to be at school. She's five, non-verbal has limited walking ability and a visual impairment. Mom dropped her off, because she felt that keeping her home won't be the best option, since she'll be out next week for surgery and the little girl lost it. The classroom teacher didn't pay attention, the para-professionals started yelling at her for making their job inconvenient and it snowballed from there. Obviously she was trying to express something, but because she doesn't communicate with words, her expressions are labeled as 'tantrums' and she's ignored. It would be great to have someone advocate for these kids' emotional well-being. I wish your cousin the best of luck.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge