The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-09-2016, 03:26 AM
Courtier

Catherine is often a victim of blatant double standards.

It reminds me of April 2013 when Catherine was bashed for taking a helicopter to an engagement. Harry took a helicopter the same day(a shorter distance for him), and he received no negative response.

Even Victoria Arbiter found the hypocrisy upsetting. Here were a couple of her tweets.

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter 25 Apr 2013
I do find it interesting that Kate arrives by helicopter + everyone goes nuts but Harry does the same + no one bats an eyelid.

Harry spared because he's a blood royal or because he's a guy? Men are often less harshly judged. What do you think? #helicopter

Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
People do tend to forget that it's The Queen that approves the use of the helicopter. No one complains when The Queen, Sophie and Anne uses the helicopter. Catherine uses it and the whole world comes down on her.

Also, The Queen always take the train back from her vacation at Sandringham. So the DM shouldn't act like The Queen is mindful of costs on using the helicopter.

Funny how people complain about the numbers of Catherine's engagements, but when she gets to work and use the royal transport to get to and from her engagements, there's a problem.

Folks just need to relax and let the lady do what she have to do.
Bit contradictory there. The fact that she always takes the train seems to be proof she is mindful of the cost of the helicopter. Now if this was the first time she took the train and usually took the helicopter, I could understand your argument.

I didn't realize the train was booked full and the roads were shut down. You make it sound like there was no other way for her to get there. She has to work yes, she doesn't have to fly there.

As for other royals: They get just as much flack for flying as Kate does. Sophie certainly did when flying between two engagements in one day, where there was not the time to physically drive between the two (one certainly could argue they should have scheduled better). As has Anne.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Bit contradictory there. The fact that she always takes the train seems to be proof she is mindful of the cost of the helicopter. Now if this was the first time she took the train and usually took the helicopter, I could understand your argument.

I didn't realize the train was booked full and the roads were shut down. You make it sound like there was no other way for her to get there. She has to work yes, she doesn't have to fly there.
You are making an unfair comparison. Catherine was on official engagement. The Queen was on her private time returning from her Christmas break. If Catherine was using the helicopter for private time, then I agree she should be questioned.

Also, The Queen used the train on a Monday into London. Where the service would have ready and available. Catherine would have needed a train on a Sunday into rural Norfolk. As someone who uses public transportation on a regular basis I can assure you the Sunday schedules are spotty at best. I can't even go into the suburbs on Sunday, let alone farm country. But like I said Catherine was on official business so this is all moot.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Catherine is often a victim of blatant double standards.

It reminds me of April 2013 when Catherine was bashed for taking a helicopter to an engagement. Harry took a helicopter the same day(a shorter distance for him), and he received no negative response.

Even Victoria Arbiter found the hypocrisy upsetting. Here were a couple of her tweets.

I do find it interesting that Kate arrives by helicopter + everyone goes nuts but Harry does the same + no one bats an eyelid.

Harry spared because he's a blood royal or because he's a guy? Men are often less harshly judged. What do you think? #helicopter
Kate using the helicopter covered two bases.
According to the Sovereign Grant Act, official royal travel is a member of the royal family carrying out an official function and
Senior members of the royal family travelling between residences.

Kate did both that day.

The other part about the Queen travelling by train is funny. Its just a token royal tradition.
Her extensive entourage of flunkies also has to travel back to London, the Queen's household travels with her.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
You are making an unfair comparison. Catherine was on official engagement. The Queen was on her private time returning from her Christmas break. If Catherine was using the helicopter for private time, then I agree she should be questioned.

Also, The Queen used the train on a Monday into London. Where the service would have ready and available. Catherine would have needed a train on a Sunday into rural Norfolk. As someone who uses public transportation on a regular basis I can assure you the Sunday schedules are spotty at best. I can't even go into the suburbs on Sunday, let alone farm country. But like I said Catherine was on official business so this is all moot.
Whilst ordinarily I would not take notice, there are regular trains between London Kings Cross and Kings Lynn and Catherine could just as easily have taken the train on Sunday before and after the engagement. On this occasion, 8 do think the Duchess could have used the train.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Whilst ordinarily I would not take notice, there are regular trains between London Kings Cross and Kings Lynn and Catherine could just as easily have taken the train on Sunday before and after the engagement. On this occasion, 8 do think the Duchess could have used the train.
I've never been to England so I'll take your word for it. I just know that public transportation is a headache on Sundays when you're in the Twin Cities or Chicago.

But like I said it's a moot point because she was on official duty. If Charles is allowed to fly in from Highgrove, Anne from Gatcombe, and Andrew from Windsor, etc.. then I don't know why she should be harangued for following suit.

There just seems to be some classist undertones in the media. That helicopters are fine for royals, but that middle-class gal, who we refuse to call by her title, better not get too big for her britches.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I've never been to England so I'll take your word for it. I just know that public transportation is a headache on Sundays when you're in the Twin Cities or Chicago.

But like I said it's a moot point because she was on official duty. If Charles is allowed to fly in from Highgrove, Anne from Gatcombe, and Andrew from Windsor, etc.. then I don't know why she should be harangued for following suit.

There just seems to be some classist undertones in the media. That helicopters are fine for royals, but that middle-class gal, who we refuse to call by her title, better not get too big for her britches.
I am afraid I disagree. There is nothing classist about this. Charles was certainly known to discretely take the train in from near Highhhrove to London, as does Anne. Catherine dies not have a particularly busy schedule and could just as easily have saved on travel costs and used a scheduled train.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am afraid I disagree. There is nothing classist about this. Charles was certainly known to discretely take the train in from near Highhhrove to London, as does Anne. Catherine dies not have a particularly busy schedule and could just as easily have saved on travel costs and used a scheduled train.
Charles and Anne do take the train on occasion. So does Catherine. She's been seen on the train multiple times. But she will also take the helicopter on occasion, just like HM, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne, etc...

If you don't think there's classism involved please explain my post #361 on this thread.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:12 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen taking the train to and from Sandringham happens once a year. Its a gimmick more than anything. An entire train car is cordoned off for her. Its a photo-op.

The royal helicopters are leased specifically for what Kate used it for. She didn't pop out to whataburger to get some food, she was travelling between official residences for an official engagement.

There is no scandal here. Senior royal uses royal helicopter for royal engagement. That's what it's for. People act as if the helicopter is only for emergencies. Not the case.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Royal Highness

The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015

Quote:

This maybe a stupid question but I don't understand why they can't drive ?
Or be driven

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Nobility

IIRC correctly when the Queen travels the entire first class section is booked so it costs more than £54, nevertheless I think that even taking that into consideration that Kate's helicopter ride was more costly.

Royals and celebrities, up to a point, have to take the good with the bad when it comes to the media IMO. The same media that will call you out for taking a helicopter will also portray you as the best thing since sliced bread because you put on a pretty frock, shook a few hands and unveiled a plaque.

I think that there are times that the media goes too far and needs to be called out and even reined in, but at the same time if the media did not call out royals, celebrities and politicians for what they do then I can see them taking advantage of perks that they get as well.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Heir Apparent

The helicopters are leased to be used. The operational costs, pilot's salary and so forth are already factored into the royal household's budget.

It makes no sense to lease them and then let them just sit on the tarmac at RAF Odiham.

If the press wants to complain, that's fine but the helicopters are there for royal engagements and travel between official residences. Kate did both on Sunday.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know what the time the church service started for the Air cadets event? Looking at Twitter, Richard Palmer tweeted Kate's arrival at ~3 AM my time which would be 8am London. I looked at the train schedule from Kings Lynn to London on Sunday Feb 14 (assuming the Sunday schedules are the same week to week). The first train is 827 am arriving at Kings Cross at 1009 am.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Does anyone know what the time the church service started for the Air cadets event? Looking at Twitter, Richard Palmer tweeted Kate's arrival at ~3 AM my time which would be 8am London. I looked at the train schedule from Kings Lynn to London on Sunday Feb 14 (assuming the Sunday schedules are the same week to week). The first train is 827 am arriving at Kings Cross at 1009 am.

i doubt the arrival time of the train is a factor. kate being the guest and a very honorable one indeed, she could have chosen whatever time it suits her to arrive to the event, most likely.

however, given the cost of security to take kate to the train and on the train, it is surely easier to just take the helicopter.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Again, folks have to remember that it's The Queen that approves of the use of the helicopter. It don't move without her knowing why, for who and where it's going. Also, Catherine is not the one who's scheduling the flight. Her officials are the ones that make these arrangements. She rely on them to get her to her engagements and back home.

There is a double standard used for Catherine. Folks complain about a great deal of things she do and don't do. If you want the future Princess of Wales/Queen to do more, then she will have to use the helicopter from time to time. Have a problem with it, take it up with the boss, The Queen.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Kate should have just taking the train and miss the whole events #sarcasm
I can't take these complain from the media and others seriously since it only ever come up when the Cambridge do it.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its not like Kate just upped and decided to call for a helicopter. For official royal duties, the transportation modes, I believe, have to be authorized by the Queen as the helicopter is usually available for use by all of the royal family as needed.

Leave it to the Fail to put the onus on Kate.
Yes Osipi these are arrangements that are approved in advanced by QEII, so this transportation request would have been resolved some time ago.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i doubt the arrival time of the train is a factor. kate being the guest and a very honorable one indeed, she could have chosen whatever time it suits her to arrive to the event, most likely.

however, given the cost of security to take kate to the train and on the train, it is surely easier to just take the helicopter.

It's a church service with a set time for the start. If the service is scheduled to start at 11 am, Kate can't just show up at noon. Anything prior to noon, it would not be possible to get the train, arrive in Kings Cross go to KP, get ready and go the Strand where the church is with the earliest train arriving at 10.

I have no problem with the helicopter. Kate's engagement was different in nature to Harry's recent engagements in Bath and Lancaster where apparently he took a train. His didn't have a hard start time. Kate's did. The easiest way to get a Royal a long distance to an engagement on time is by the helicopter.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will guest edit @HuffPostUK tomorrow to highlight children's mental health #YoungMindsMatter

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
Be the first to see exclusive @HuffPostUK features commissioned by The Duchess on #childrensmentalhealth- follow #YoungMindsMatter tomorrow!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Lots going on today with #YoungMindsMatter. HRH is guest editing the Huffington Post. Here is her article

Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge has written a blog in which she says she would not hesitate to seek professional help if Prince George or Princess Charlotte developed mental health problems.

The Duchess said she and the Duke of Cambridge will encourage their children to talk about their feelings because "there is no shame in a young child struggling with their emotions or suffering from a mental illness".

As patron of the charities Place2Be and The Art Room, which both give emotional support to children, the Duchess has made it her mission to break down the stigma around child mental health.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge: I wouldn't hesitate to seek help if Charlotte or George had mental health problems - Telegraph

Let's Make a Real Difference for an Entire Generation of Young ChildrenÂ*|Â*Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge

The Duchess has brought in one of her big guns - Michelle Obama

Max Foster ‏@MaxFosterCNN
.@FLOTUS will be blogging this morning for @HuffPostUK guest editor The Duchess of Cambridge #YoungMindsMatter

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge