The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-18-2016, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

From the Huffington Post article she is only inviting people to KP to write stories about mental health.

She will probably select a few of these and the Huffington Post will publish them.

It does not appear as if she will be writing anything unless she writes an introduction.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I can remember Charles guest editing Town and Country magazine. There were articles written by others - all covering his interests and rural patronages but he did write an article.

MY thought was that is would be more of an introduction, plus the video.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-18-2016, 01:45 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From my perspective, it seems like Kate is doing what Harry and William have done quite a few times, going above and beyond just lending the royal cypher to a patronage and a photo op.

Getting really involved in this Mental Health Week (its late here and I'm not sure if she instigated this week or someone else did), is really getting her actively involved. Its not only the guest editing of the Huffington Post but also gathering those that write the articles and putting them together to make a good presentation, most likely getting the PR spinning so people are well aware that this is going to be happening well before the actual date and its not one hour of showing up and smiling as she poses with the staff of HP but I am inclined to believe that she is working closely with them even a few months before this all becomes a reality.

This may be a prime example of the planning for the execution of something. Lots of planning behind the scenes and coordinating with people to assure that the Mental Health Week goes off as planned and points to a success. With this in mind, it reinforces for me that just because we don't "see" her on official royal engagements and some see it as "not doing her part" and that she "should be doing more", that actually she does throw more energy and time and thought into things more than she is given credit for.

Perhaps this is a reason for a certain royal reporter, Richard Palmer's feelings of dissension. The new kids on the block (WH&K) are a new breed of royals. They not only lend their name, royalness, smiles and waves and seal of approval to what they're passionate about but also taking a very active role in how to go about making the changes that are needed. Just like with Kate taking and releasing photographs and eliminating the "royal photographer", as a proud mother, she can do it herself.

Get ready for it world, the new breed of royals are more "normal" than you think.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-18-2016, 01:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles is a published author, has been for decades, it isn't surprising he would have contributed an article himself. Kate has likely not written anything since her last college paper. It will be enough to have her name associated with the articles, and hand choosing which ones, to get the charity the publicity needed. As well as a video.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Charles is a published author, has been for decades, it isn't surprising he would have contributed an article himself. Kate has likely not written anything since her last college paper. It will be enough to have her name associated with the articles, and hand choosing which ones, to get the charity the publicity needed. As well as a video.
I agree. It would have probably been far easier for her to just write an "open letter" or something along those lines than to do what she is doing which, in my eyes, shows far more involvement.

On an off note, I've just come across Charles' "Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World" among my books and it never fails to remind me of just how much meticulous thought was put into the actual book itself.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-18-2016, 03:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Picking through articles is harder than actually writing one? Sorry but no. She doesn't simply need to pen an open letter. She would be expected to write an eloquent, well thought out article. Based on her speeches, I don't see her at that level yet. Unless she had it ghost written, best for her to leave writing the articles to professionals, and to use her still limited understanding of the topic, to choose which articles to include. I am sure she will likely have advisors as with a new patronage, likely has a lot to learn still to make such choices.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Picking through articles is harder than actually writing one? Sorry but no. She doesn't simply need to pen an open letter. She would be expected to write an eloquent, well thought out article. Based on her speeches, I don't see her at that level yet. Unless she had it ghost written, best for her to leave writing the articles to professionals, and to use her still limited understanding of the topic, to choose which articles to include. I am sure she will likely have advisors as with a new patronage, likely has a lot to learn still to make such choices.
That's exactly the point I was trying to put across in my addled brain state late at night.

I said she "could" have just penned an open letter or had her ghost writers do one for her. In my post I stated "I agree. It would have probably been far easier for her to just write an "open letter" or something along those lines than to do what she is doing which, in my eyes, shows far more involvement."

She knows her limitations well in my book. I was agreeing with you.
― John Lennon
Old 01-18-2016, 05:35 AM
Gentry

I love the way she is slowly building her profile in the mental health sphere as this will be more beneficial to the cause. Its similar to the way that William has slowly raised his profile in the conservation world and has become quite influential in that sphere , thus even managing to get China involved, which was huge. He would not have the same effect if he just attended events, he has instead come up with different ways to help the cause and has become an inportant figure in the conservation world. Same with Diana (landmines,HIV), Harry (Vets), Charles (environment), Camilla (osteoporosis) and all the other royals.

I feel that this is the same approach that Catherine is using, she has had a focus on mental health for a while now but it intensified after Charlottes birth. This guest editor role is just a different way to get mental health on peoples minds. She may just be "only" selecting the articles and bringing the expects together but lets be honest, Huffpost is only willing to dedicate a day to this cause because of her involvement. And thats the role that Royals play, to open doors to these charities that may be quite difficult for them to do on their own.

Looking forward to it and may more interesting ideas from the team in the future.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will join @HuffPostUK as guest editor from Kensington Palace on Wednesday 17th Feb

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
HRH will be highlighting the importance of children's mental health and helping to launch #YoungMindsMatter

Quote:
...On 17 February, Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Cambridge, will join editors at HuffPost UK as guest editor to specifically help raise awareness of this issue and help us launch Young Minds Matter.

Using the hashtag #youngmindsmatter we will discuss the problems, causes and also most importantly the solutions to the stigma surrounding the UK's mental health crisis among children...

...Under guidance from Kensington Palace, my team has been working on a series of original articles, blogs and videos commissioned by the Duchess. They all aim to inspire families and teachers to lead the conversation with children about mental health, so youngsters feel loved, valued and listened to...

...The Duchess has always been publicly clear about her passion around this subject, especially in her role as patron for Place2Be. That's why #youngmindsmatter will launch by focusing on the areas she values highly, including programmes aimed to help primary aged children, efforts at early intervention, the importance of breaking the cycle of multi-generational mental health issues and the progress being made through art therapy...
Read more: Introducing Young Minds MatterÂ*|Â*Stephen Hull
Old 02-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

"It is estimated that three children in every British school classroom has a mental health problem and symptoms of depression are evident in a fifth of children. It's no surprise that related issues such as anxiety and suicide roll seamlessly on into adult life leaving a trail of missed opportunity, unfulfilled potential and loss."

I have twenty plus years of experience teaching/substitute teaching in American public schools and I agree with the estimate mentioned in that paragraph. However I am relieved to say that in recent years parents/teachers appear to be more willing to request mental health services for their student(s). I am currently subbing at my children's former elementary school about two days a week. The guidance counselor has increased her hours/days at the site and is seeing more children in a small group setting.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
"It is estimated that three children in every British school classroom has a mental health problem and symptoms of depression are evident in a fifth of children. It's no surprise that related issues such as anxiety and suicide roll seamlessly on into adult life leaving a trail of missed opportunity, unfulfilled potential and loss."

I have twenty plus years of experience teaching/substitute teaching in American public schools and I agree with the estimate mentioned in that paragraph. However I am relieved to say that in recent years parents/teachers appear to be more willing to request mental health services for their student(s). I am currently subbing at my children's former elementary school about two days a week. The guidance counselor has increased her hours/days at the site and is seeing more children in a small group setting.
My mum is a special ed teacher here in Sweden and that estimate sounds very true according to her experience as well. I'm really happy these kinds of things are talked about. I've seen teens that had tried to take their own life at age 9 or 11 write to Kate blogs and similar about how much it meant to them that someone like Kate is speaking and putting their name behind an issue like that.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate took the helicopter back home
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fF1MUeRCU...07.57%2BPM.png
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...03743941_n.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaqN_J4WEAA_kKq.jpg:large
Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Majesty

how fun it must be to be having your walk in kensington gardens only to spot a helicopter and kate walking towards it!
i wonder where they park this helicopter when they are picked up from kensington palace. i pressume their garden is not large enough for a helicopter to land, so i guess they must have landed in proximity to the palace but in the 'public' part of kensington gardens? (particularly if people could see it and take pictures of it)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i wonder where they park this helicopter when they are picked up from kensington palace. i
I've always thought the field just NW of the Orangery looked like a good spot. The street is restricted, embassies to the west, KP to the South. Just a guess. Coordinates are:
51°30'25.9"N 0°11'21.1"W
Old 02-09-2016, 02:20 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen took a train as Kate Middleton charged taxpayers £3k for a helicopter trip | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-09-2016, 02:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Fail strikes again!! Let me guess? No mention of Catherine being on an Official Engagement and/of HM coming home from her Annual Christmas Break, right?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-09-2016, 02:34 AM
Serene Highness

In fairness I never see the point in any royal using a helicopter if they only have 1 engagement in a day, especially if its in London. Kate could have taken the train as well couldn't she?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I love the comments. One suggests Kate was basically doing a favor to the queen as helicopters cant remain on standby, like a washing machine they need to be used from time to time. She was just doing a service for the queen. How thoughtful, wouldn't want the helicopter to get rusty
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 AM
Majesty

Its not like Kate just upped and decided to call for a helicopter. For official royal duties, the transportation modes, I believe, have to be authorized by the Queen as the helicopter is usually available for use by all of the royal family as needed.

Leave it to the Fail to put the onus on Kate.
― John Lennon
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

People do tend to forget that it's The Queen that approves the use of the helicopter. No one complains when The Queen, Sophie and Anne uses the helicopter. Catherine uses it and the whole world comes down on her.

Also, The Queen always take the train back from her vacation at Sandringham. So the DM shouldn't act like The Queen is mindful of costs on using the helicopter.

Funny how people complain about the numbers of Catherine's engagements, but when she gets to work and use the royal transport to get to and from her engagements, there's a problem.

Folks just need to relax and let the lady do what she have to do.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge