The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015-January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What difference would meeting Maxima make? She's not the monarch and they've met before.

The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015

What difference would meeting Maxima make? She's not the monarch and they've met before.

No difference, it was just a simple light-hearted wonder of mine, that's all... I even stated that I knew Catherine was there for official reasons in the first part of my post.

Last edited:
According to the Dutch website above, she will be doing four things, seeing an art exhibit that was lent from Britain, visiting a mental health place and another place and having lunch with the king. Busy day!

The first photos:

Kate aangekomen bij koning Willem-Alexander - Royalty Online

The two posed in the living room of villa Eikenhorst.

I am quite sure any unpleasant Brexit-talk will be evaded. The Dutch RF is traditionally very pro-EU while IIRC the duke and duchess of Cambrige are reading the Spectator -which may be an indication on where they stand on this issue- so better to stick to pleasantries instead. If all fails they can always complain about the weather, which in Wassenaar must be as grey and dull as in London today.

The visit may be useful for the projects involved indeed. I am quite sure few will have the illusion that this visit -or any other visits by British royals to other EU member states- will have any impact at all on the negociations.

Last edited:

It would generate more headlines (fashion/personality comparing), so more interesting for the media. WA is monarch but dull.

Much like the Queen, she'll head abroad, say nothing of any import politically and lots of locals will come out to get a look at her.

The government clearly think this will be useful, for whatever reason, otherwise they wouldn't let her go.

Agree 100%

Kate visits The Hague and Rotterdam for first solo trip without William | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm beyond proud of Catherine on the job she's done so far as a senior member of the royal family. I'm sure William and rest of her families are proud too. I definitely see a knighthood coming for her. It will well deserved, IMO.

LOVE that suit. Great hair too!

LaRae

I'm really in agreement with Dman on this one. Kate is slipping into her role as a senior, working royal like slipping a hand into a well fitted and comfortable pair of kid gloves.

Just an odd question. Has any senior working royal ever really been given a knighthood for their work for the Firm before? Now that Dman has brought it up, its got me wondering. :)

a true shame we didn't get to see kate with maxima today but i guess it was not meant to happen. oh well, at least we got to see them together in the pictures at the cenotaph ceremony in london not long ago.

I'm really in agreement with Dman on this one. Kate is slipping into her role as a senior, working royal like slipping a hand into a well fitted and comfortable pair of kid gloves.

Just an odd question. Has any senior working royal ever really been given a knighthood for their work for the Firm before? Now that Dman has brought it up, its got me wondering. :)

exactly my thoughts. kate is a natural at this. william knew what he was doing.

i wonder too about the knighthood. would it be a normal thing for royal members of the family to get a knighthood?

I am quite sure any unpleasant Brexit-talk will be evaded. The Dutch RF is traditionally very pro-EU while IIRC the duke and duchess of Cambrige are reading the Spectator -which may be an indication on where they stand on this issue- so better to stick to pleasantries instead. If all fails they can always complain about the weather, which in Wassenaar must be as grey and dull as in London today.

do you think so? where did you read they read the spectator? i am most surprised to hear they may be pro leave, as the queen herself is pro-EU and manifested in several times what a disappointment it would be for britain to leave the EU. i would have expected them, as under the 'boss' commands, to have similar opinions on the matter.

Anybody wondering, yes, Catherine did curtsey before The King, but a car blocked the shot says, Richard Palmer.

the queen herself is pro-EU and manifested in several times what a disappointment it would be for britain to leave the EU.

There is absolutely no evidence for this claim whatsoever. HMQ has never expressed an opinion [in public] either way, and NEVER would.

Last edited:
Why is it being remarked on that she curtsied? I would think that would go without saying.

LaRae

Why is it being remarked on that she curtsied? I would think that would go without saying.

LaRae

Just making a mention of it since apparently the pic wasn't taken. That's all. Richard was asked about it. We already know Catherine will do her job.

Ah someone looking to stir things...glad someone saw it happen then.

LaRae

HRH The Duchess arrives at the Vermeer and his Contemporaries from the British Royal Collection Exhibition at the Mauritshuis in The Hague.

PPE

PPE Agency

i wonder too about the knighthood. would it be a normal thing for royal members of the family to get a knighthood?

Almost all british royals recieved knighthoods (Garter, Bath, Victorian Order, etc.) But they don't use "Sir" or "Dame", they have higher titles (duke/duchess, prince/princess etc.)

LaRae

I believe it is because the Dutch royals have done away with the practice but I'm sure that Willem Alexander knows that Catherine would be expected to do so by the BRF.

Nice seeing Kate on her first solo visit abroad.

LaRae

because there are some people out there that will either moan that she didn't do it and thus broke protocol or that she did it poorly because even after all these years Kate still doesn't know how to curtsy.

It's exhausting.

Love the suit on her today! Gorgeous color and cut.

The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015

Almost all british royals recieved knighthoods (Garter, Bath, Victorian Order, etc.) But they don't use "Sir" or "Dame", they have higher titles (duke/duchess, prince/princess etc.)

It's harder to find a working Royal without a knighthood. All the Queen's children and first cousins who are Royal have multiple knighthoods. The Duchesses of Kent, Gloucester, Cornwall, Countess of Wessex all have them. William and Harry have 3 between the 2 of them.

It's not like William and Harry Smith if they were regular citizens would have any knighthoods by this point in their lives. Rod Stewart just got his this year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I believe it is because the Dutch royals have done away with the practice but I'm sure that Willem Alexander knows that Catherine would be expected to do so by the BRF.

No matter if they abolished it within the dutch court, by other royals ladies from abroad, both in the Netherlands or abroad, the King and Queen will be curtseyed by foreign Princesses and Duchesses. To curtsey is a basic part of royal etiquette in general, also nowadays, and royal ladies feel more obliged to follow this etiquette than newer rules of a single royal house.
I guess the dutch royal couple´s daughters will be instructed to curtsey to foreign monarchs, like their mother did before WA´s accession, as well.

It's harder to find a working Royal without a knighthood. All the Queen's children and first cousins who are Royal have multiple knighthoods. The Duchesses of Kent, Gloucester, Cornwall, Countess of Wessex all have them. William and Harry have 3 between the 2 of them.

It's not like William and Harry Smith if they were regular citizens would have any knighthoods by this point in their lives. Rod Stewart just got his this year.

Maybe this should be moved to the Honors thread or somewhere else but I was under the impression that the royals were bestowed with Orders at the Queen's discretion and the knighthoods such as Rod Stewart was awarded were bestowed by nominations and approval by the government.

Not enough coffee yet today it seems. At least I'm not getting "defender of faith" and "defender of the faith" mixed up as I used to and Iluvbertie patiently corrected me over and over and over.... ad infinitum. :D

Catherine's is coming, I can feel it!!!!

Video:
Kate cheered by Dutch crowds on first solo royal trip abroad-
Kate cheered by Dutch crowds on first solo royal trip abroad - BBC News

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2h2 hours ago
Helping the kids fix their bikes even in that suit...
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/status/785876295293034497

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 1h1 hour ago
Textiles, ceramics, bike mechanics and IT programming are just some of the skills local craftsman share with local kids @BouwKeet_RTD
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/785884453440815104

Chris Jackson ‏@ChrisJack_Getty 16m16 minutes ago
The Duchess of Cambridge got fully involved in all the classes at @BouwKeet_RTD in Rotterdam including robotics, woodworking and woollens
https://twitter.com/ChrisJack_Getty/status/785896600359100416

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awful painting the King had in that room where he met Kate. I actually thought it was a whiteboard for a minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom