The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Also since articles are being commissioned on topic, less Likely chance of containing the story. so KP announced to control the message. More people are involved. I seem to recall when prince Charles edited a magazine last year it was announced early as well.
I don't doubt that. I only think it a very PR-wise decision that was made counting all the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Well, they did it with the Bafta stuff and other high profile stuff so I'm not that sure but peoplee see what they wanna see.

Very true!

Well, let's just say it is a curious coincidence that the annoucement was made in mid-january then.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
His behavior really has been appalling- tweeting ugly things while complaining that he can't get near the family.
lol exactly what I said. Convenient that he ignored that part of my tweet.

I think one can dislike the royals and write articles about them, but you've got to balance it with something else. I don't know if he does, I don't pay attention to his career, but he should.

As for announcing it so early, it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't. W&K have been criticized by the media for not alerting them to things early enough (or at all), but now they're being criticized for doing it too early (and for doing it at all). It's insane. There really is no winning for them.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post
Hahaha, such childish behaviour and whining. Like this is for a charity !! How is this different from the annual event where members of the BRF "broker deals" to raise money for charity?
She is a guest editor and will be focusing on mental health issues, not breaking new! and its only for one day. They can stay mad for all I care. This shows that they are selfish and want things to always benefit them! It really does not reflect well on the, which is ironic as they are trying to paint this good initiative in a bad light.

They act like they have not been focusing on her clothes and hair and less on her charities for her entire royal life. Now she has found a way that will allow, for just one day, for the focus to be on the main issue at hand which is mental health.

Yall know how much I love her focus on mental health issues, especially with regards to children. I did a little dance when I saw that tweet from KP.
A whole day where Huffpost(with about 250 million daily views) will focus on mental health issues, allowing the people affected to direct the tone of the concersation and hopefully help fight the stigma is a brilliant initiative.

I for one absolutely love it and cant wait!!
It is childish, I don't understand how he justifies his last few posts or why the man is behaving this way. I may not be kates biggest fan but some of his recent posts are childish and petty. He is a grown man and should behave as such with some professionalism.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaras View Post
It is childish, I don't understand how he justifies his last few posts or why the man is behaving this way. I may not be kates biggest fan but some of his recent posts are childish and petty. He is a grown man and should behave as such with some professionalism.
I've seen him hinting stuff about his editors as well... I think he might be in a tricky job position and taking it out on the royals..
Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I've seen him hinting stuff about his editors as well... I think he might be in a tricky job position and taking it out on the royals..
He definitely has a grudge against his editors, but I think the royals are the root of it. He’s said before that his articles are heavily moderated by his editors and they completely control his content. I thinks he’s fuming over the fact that he can’t release his full venom on the royals because his editors are trying to keep things diplomatic. He’s implied multiple times that if he were given free rein his articles would be full-on mudslinging and they would be filled with unethical and harassing paparazzi pictures. He’s a gunslinger whose only been given a water pistol to play with, so he has pent-up rage.

Personally, I’m glad his editors are keeping a leash on him. He seems to be his own worst enemy.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

And some history. Huffington Post calls Palmer and the Express out which he doesn't like. He can dish it but can't take it. So Kate guest-editing HP really gets under his skin

Daily Express Royal Correspondent Richard Palmer Has Public Meltdown Over Kensington Palace Letter
Old 01-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
And some history. Huffington Post calls Palmer and the Express out which he doesn't like. He can dish it but can't take it. So Kate guest-editing HP really gets under his skin

Daily Express Royal Correspondent Richard Palmer Has Public Meltdown Over Kensington Palace Letter
Oooooh, that's right! I remember that now! That one must really sting!
Old 01-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Let's get back on topic please - this thread is about The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events and not about the journalists reporting on them. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

To be entirely fair, criticism of the Huffington Post editing by Catherine was led by 2 photographers who are still peeved that she issued pictures of Charlotte instead of photoshoot. Then came Rebecca from the Daily Fail who said she was "speechless" (if only!) Followed by Richard, Victoria from the Mirror, Emily (now at Hello, I think) and someone else (female) who's name I cant remember.

All of the royal reporters went bonkers!! Totally wrong in my opinion as I think this is a cracking idea. And before any of you ask, I've also said this to the reporters on Twitter.

Now back on track - Catherine is apparently making a video to be released on February 8th which is the start of Mental Health Week.

Love what she is doing with the cause.

EDIT: sorry Jacknch, posted this about the same time. Last bit is about a new Catherine "event"

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
To be entirely fair, criticism of the Huffington Post editing by Catherine was led by 2 photographers who are still peeved that she issued pictures of Charlotte instead of photoshoot. Then came Rebecca from the Daily Fail who said she was "speechless" (if only!) Followed by Richard, Victoria from the Mirror, Emily (now at Hello, I think) and someone else (female) who's name I cant remember.

All of the royal reporters went bonkers!! Totally wrong in my opinion as I think this is a cracking idea. And before any of you ask, I've also said this to the reporters on Twitter.

Now back on track - Catherine is apparently making a video to be released on February 8th which is the start of Mental Health Week.

Love what she is doing with the cause.

EDIT: sorry Jacknch, posted this about the same time. Last bit is about a new Catherine "event"
I saw that as well. Reported by the Mail. Is that a reliable one?

(I also think it said "For mental health week that starts 8th of february" so sometime during that week rather than that day :)

I hope it's true, because last years message got spread really well :) Imagine her doing this video in early-ish february and then have the HUffington thing in the middle. Those two things on top of eachother can be really powerful :)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Previous video messages:
April 28, 2013 Duchess of Cambridge delivers first public address – video | UK news | The Guardian

Feb 16, 2015 The Duchess of Cambridge records a video message for the UK's first Children's Mental Health Week
Old 01-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I was hoping the video would form the central piece of the editorial work so it all comes together. That would be a huge draw.

I do like the fact that they are trying different media to get the message across.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I was hoping the video would form the central piece of the editorial work so it all comes together. That would be a huge draw.

I do like the fact that they are trying different media to get the message across.
I agree. It is a brave new world. It will be interesting to compare the messages over time?
Old 01-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

I think all of this - the video message, the guest editing and I am sure appearances will all be centered around Children's Mental Health Week
Old 01-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

This is great news and I'm looking forward into reading the article. Catherine seems to care a lot about mental health issues which is good as mental health services aren't up to standards (mostly) in the UK. There was a report about their poor standards in the news a couple of days ago and I was shocked at some of their regulations. From personal experience I can tell that pastoral care in schools is also poor in England so I hope that Catherine will be involved with the improvement of that too.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
This is great news and I'm looking forward into reading Catherine's article. She seems to care a lot about mental health issues which is good as mental health services aren't up to standards (mostly) in the UK. There was a report about their poor standards in the news a couple of days ago and I was shocked at some of their regulations. From personal experience I can tell that pastoral care in schools is also poor in England so I hope that Catherine will be involved with the improvement of that too.

Didn't Prince William and the Countess of Wessex write articles for a newspaper, I think for the Telegraph?
I didn't think that Catherine was writing an article. She is Guest editing HuffPost for a day. She is commissioning articles from experts, young people, parents and volunteers. This is what I have read about so far.

But I like the idea of an article but I'm really pleased about the video.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I didn't think that Catherine was writing an article. She is Guest editing HuffPost for a day. She is commissioning articles from experts, young people, parents and volunteers. This is what I have read about so far.

But I like the idea of an article but I'm really pleased about the video.
I know, that was a simple misreading on my part. I've edited my post to avoid further confusion.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Royal Highness

From the Huffington Post article she is only inviting people to KP to write stories about mental health.

She will probably select a few of these and the Huffington Post will publish them.

It does not appear as if she will be writing anything unless she writes an introduction.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I can remember Charles guest editing Town and Country magazine. There were articles written by others - all covering his interests and rural patronages but he did write an article.

MY thought was that is would be more of an introduction, plus the video.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:45 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From my perspective, it seems like Kate is doing what Harry and William have done quite a few times, going above and beyond just lending the royal cypher to a patronage and a photo op.

Getting really involved in this Mental Health Week (its late here and I'm not sure if she instigated this week or someone else did), is really getting her actively involved. Its not only the guest editing of the Huffington Post but also gathering those that write the articles and putting them together to make a good presentation, most likely getting the PR spinning so people are well aware that this is going to be happening well before the actual date and its not one hour of showing up and smiling as she poses with the staff of HP but I am inclined to believe that she is working closely with them even a few months before this all becomes a reality.

This may be a prime example of the planning for the execution of something. Lots of planning behind the scenes and coordinating with people to assure that the Mental Health Week goes off as planned and points to a success. With this in mind, it reinforces for me that just because we don't "see" her on official royal engagements and some see it as "not doing her part" and that she "should be doing more", that actually she does throw more energy and time and thought into things more than she is given credit for.

Perhaps this is a reason for a certain royal reporter, Richard Palmer's feelings of dissension. The new kids on the block (WH&K) are a new breed of royals. They not only lend their name, royalness, smiles and waves and seal of approval to what they're passionate about but also taking a very active role in how to go about making the changes that are needed. Just like with Kate taking and releasing photographs and eliminating the "royal photographer", as a proud mother, she can do it herself.

Get ready for it world, the new breed of royals are more "normal" than you think.

Tags
catherine, current events, duchess of cambridge