The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015-January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The train journey from Kings Lynn to Edinburgh takes between 5.5 and 7.5 hrs! From London, the fastest is c. 4.5 hours.

This is the reason that many journalists flew to Edinburgh!

Video:
The Duchess of Cambridge has arrived in Edinburgh to carry out a series of engagements. The final stop in the day will take her to Craigmount High School, in the west of the city, where Judy Murray will host a Tennis on the Road coaching clinic-

Home - ITNSource News

Wishing you the best as you continue on this journey HereditaryPrincess.

First, Thank Goodness my Sister and Brother in Law came for an overnight visit, as I was able to use her iPad to access Huff Post UK and read Catherine's piece. Well Done Your Royal Highness!! I especially liked the part of how when talking to those helped by Action On Addiction or The Art Room during her first years as a Royal, she realized many who suffer from Mental Health Issues, those Issues have their roots in Childhood because it is so very true and sadly I know far too well myself. It's the reason I don't use the B word and call it what it is : Abuse. Considering the Hell I went through, it's amazing I didn't have a breakdown or come away in a wheelchair or both!!

Reason I say the second part of that is due to the kids taking vicious advantage of my limited vision and "helping" me down the stairs and into lockers several times a day.

Thanks to that, I suffer from PTSD and I have lost count how many times over the years when someone has done something, usually sneaking up from behind and doing the "Gotcha!!" thing which can trigger a minor to full blown Panic Attack, I have been told to either "Get over it" or "When are you going to grow up?" due to my "overreacting to what happened...." I wish it was that easy and I also battle Depression as well and have also been told to just "Focus on the happy things..." It doesn't work that way sadly and while people are starting to change, there's still such a long way to go in awareness.

Which is why it is SO important what HRH is doing w/tackling Mental Health Issues, but especially among our Young People. She is someone People will listen and pay attention to, which was made abundantly clear on Wednesday w/all of the reaction to her Guest Editing of the Huffington Post UK to launch the Young Lives Matter campaign. As I said, Well Done Your Royal Highness!!

Hereditary Princess, I'm glad to hear you're getting help battling your Demons. While I don't know what form your Depression takes, if you ever need a shoulder to lean on, I'm only a PM away. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I was touched by both of your thoughtful replies, thank you both for your kind words. Suddenly having these feelings more often than before is difficult but I feel like now that I have a good therapist, I'm starting to improve.

And Tiggersk8, the same goes to you, if you ever need someone to talk with, you know where my PM button is. :)

Thanks!! :)

I was talking to a Cousin, who was a Pediatric Physio until Breast Cancer found her, about The Art Room the other day. She still tries to help by checking out various Organizations for our Children's Treatment Centre, since she has more free time to do that than her former workmates do, and as she saw who their Royal Patron was decided to pick my brains about it. During our chat I directed her to Place2Be as another Organization she might be interested in looking into, as I know all too well how Disabled Kids are prime targets in their Schools.

Which is why she was interested in these, now two, Organizations. They're looking into various ways and methods to use in helping the kids express what's going on, especially the non verbal kids w/Severe Cerebral Palsy. So knowing me as she does, and knowing the interest I'd have in such Organizations because of Kate's Patronage, decided to have that little chat w/me.

As I told her, from what I've seen and learned, there would be quite a few programs they run, that could be used w/her "Kids" here. She's going to contact both and see what happens from there. Anyway, there's another example of just what Kate supporting these Organizations as Royal Patron can do. A tiny pebble can create many ripples. :)

Thanks!! :)

I was talking to a Cousin, who was a Pediatric Physio until Breast Cancer found her, about The Art Room the other day. She still tries to help by checking out various Organizations for our Children's Treatment Centre, since she has more free time to do that than her former workmates do, and as she saw who their Royal Patron was decided to pick my brains about it. During our chat I directed her to Place2Be as another Organization she might be interested in looking into, as I know all too well how Disabled Kids are prime targets in their Schools.

Which is why she was interested in these, now two, Organizations. They're looking into various ways and methods to use in helping the kids express what's going on, especially the non verbal kids w/Severe Cerebral Palsy. So knowing me as she does, and knowing the interest I'd have in such Organizations because of Kate's Patronage, decided to have that little chat w/me.

As I told her, from what I've seen and learned, there would be quite a few programs they run, that could be used w/her "Kids" here. She's going to contact both and see what happens from there. Anyway, there's another example of just what Kate supporting these Organizations as Royal Patron can do. A tiny pebble can create many ripples. :)

I've been working with non-verbal kids since September and with kids who have special needs since age sixteen, and I could never understood why their mental health is not taken as seriously as that of typical children. So many of my kids are struggling to express what they're feeling through various communication methods ranging from facial expression and vocalizations to dynoboxes and other computer-based programs and my heart breaks when the teachers or therapists dismiss what the kids are trying to tell them. I had a little girl crying hysterically because she's getting ready for an operation and was not supposed to be at school. She's five, non-verbal has limited walking ability and a visual impairment. Mom dropped her off, because she felt that keeping her home won't be the best option, since she'll be out next week for surgery and the little girl lost it. The classroom teacher didn't pay attention, the para-professionals started yelling at her for making their job inconvenient and it snowballed from there. Obviously she was trying to express something, but because she doesn't communicate with words, her expressions are labeled as 'tantrums' and she's ignored. It would be great to have someone advocate for these kids' emotional well-being. I wish your cousin the best of luck.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess will visit Hampton Court's Magic Garden on Weds 4 May to officially open the new children's play area

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
HRH will also attend a lunch reception on 4 May supporting a new centre of excellence for children's mental health, as Patron of @AFCevents

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks for informing us on those, Rudolph. I think they both sound like great events for Catherine, she's excellent with children. Even before she had George and Charlotte, I've thought that she's rather natural with them (not that I'm saying those without children aren't good with them, of course).

It would be nice if she took George along. She always tell the people she meet that she will bring him on a visit. Seems like a perfect opportunity, IMO.

I'm not sure she wants to open that Pandora's box just yet. When he goes once, the tabloids will expect him or Charlotte at every kid friendly engagement and if they don't go, it will be the usual rubbish headlines.

You can already see the tabloids trying to build this up so they can have the story ready.

'Kate leaves George at home' blah blah blah

I'm not sure she wants to open that Pandora's box just yet. When he goes once, the tabloids will expect him or Charlotte at every kid friendly engagement and if they don't go, it will be the usual rubbish headlines.

You can already see the tabloids trying to build this up so they can have the story ready.

'Kate leaves George at home' blah blah blah

Well, they took him to an arranged engagement twice and it all worked out. That was when they were on a Royal tour. Im waiting for them to do a similar engagement back at home. I think this new engagement would be a great opportunity for George to attend and play.

I think they'll stick to things like Trooping the Colour and the polo for now and maybe add in more formal occasions, liking Garter or Thistle Day

Last edited:
Garter and Thistle days aren't really kid friendly events. It's a church service plus a procession.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It would be nice if she took George along. She always tell the people she meet that she will bring him on a visit. Seems like a perfect opportunity, IMO.

Hasn't George already performed more 'public' duties for his age than William.

When did William first meet and greet a Head of State?

Well, they took him to an arranged engagement twice and it all worked out. That was when they were on a Royal tour. Im waiting for them to do a similar engagement back at home. I think this new engagement would be a great opportunity for George to attend and play.

I can understand that people would like to see George do in England what Kate and Will did with him overseas. It would be nice to see him at a zoo or such. But I guess then people would just want more. A video of him and Charlotte playing would be nice. A video shows so much more than a photo

I can understand that people would like to see George do in England what Kate and Will did with him overseas. It would be nice to see him at a zoo or such. But I guess then people would just want more. A video of him and Charlotte playing would be nice. A video shows so much more than a photo

It would be nice to see some video of the kids.

A reminder that this thread is about the Duchess of Cambridge's current events and not about Prince George attending events nor about the amount of times Prince George has been seen in public compared to his father at the same age - comparisons with events that took place 30 years ago are completely unnecessary.

Looks like a wonderful playground for the kids to enjoy while touring the palace and the grounds. :)

Videos:
The Duchess of Cambridge attends her first engagement as patron of mental health charity the Anna Freud Centre.
Home - ITNSource News

The Duchess of Cambridge visited Hampton Court's recently unveiled Magic Garden today, marking the official opening of the Palace's new children's play area. The Duchess was taken on a tour around the new play area, and shown some of its unique design features.
Home - ITNSource News

She did a great job, as usual.

Last edited:
Yes, she is. And I can't understand people (both here and in the media) who calls her boring and false.

That's because folks want her to be some kind of superwoman.

That's because folks want her to be some kind of superwoman.

Perhaps many had the expectations that a royal princess is somehow different than any ordinary female and Kate is doing her best to give people the "real" Kate that is down to earth, a homemaker and mother of 2 that just happens to be married to the future King and that everyday life is not wearing stunning evening gowns, tiaras and dripping lots of diamonds and sparklies.

As we've seen just recently with the Cambridges' tour of India, the Vogue photo shoot and today in the Magic Gardens, what you see is what you get and that's someone being herself and doing her best in all aspects of her life.

Perhaps many had the expectations that a royal princess is somehow different than any ordinary female and Kate is doing her best to give people the "real" Kate that is down to earth, a homemaker and mother of 2 that just happens to be married to the future King and that everyday life is not wearing stunning evening gowns, tiaras and dripping lots of diamonds and sparklies.

As we've seen just recently with the Cambridges' tour of India, the Vogue photo shoot and today in the Magic Gardens, what you see is what you get and that's someone being herself and doing her best in all aspects of her life.

And other than brooches, when I look at the Queen when she was young, there is not so very much difference in the two. JMO. ;)

And other than brooches, when I look at the Queen when she was young, there is not so very much difference in the two. JMO. ;)

Y'know, I never had that thought but now that you mention it, its a perfect fit. :flowers:

Not much difference? When the Queen was young she (and Prince Philip) were away from Britain (and their very young children) for months at a time, touring Commonwealth and Empire countries. The Queen made speeches without stumbling, dealt with red boxes, signed pieces of legislation into law, (something Kate will never do) and was Head of State. She met the PM on a weekly basis, other Ministers and Commonwealth leaders.

Elizabeth wasn't defined as a wife and mother or a clothes horse or anything else other than a monarch. Yes, news reports of the time mentioned her clothes and gowns (not her hair) but they weren't the main focus of her appearances in news items, as they are so often with Kate.

And I'm afraid Kate is still nervous at public appearances and making speeches. She clutches her purse to her front still, like her life depends on it, making her often appear wooden. Her speeches also show a certain amount of nerves. So no, she's not like the Queen in my eyes.

Not much difference? When the Queen was young she (and Prince Philip) were away from Britain (and their very young children) for months at a time, touring Commonwealth and Empire countries. The Queen made speeches without stumbling, dealt with red boxes, signed pieces of legislation into law, (something Kate will never do) and was Head of State. She met the PM on a weekly basis, other Ministers and Commonwealth leaders.

Elizabeth wasn't defined as a wife and mother or a clothes horse or anything else other than a monarch. Yes, news reports of the time mentioned her clothes and gowns (not her hair) but they weren't the main focus of her appearances in news items, as they are so often with Kate.

I don't think AdmirerUS meant it like that.

And I'm afraid Kate is still nervous at public appearances and making speeches. She clutches her purse to her front still, like her life depends on it, making her often appear wooden. Her speeches also show a certain amount of nerves. So no, she's not like the Queen in my eyes.
When I look at Kate, I see a young woman who is kind, down to earth and great with people/kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom